Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Also, if you can blow up the train you rode in on, secret bonus points.

Haha, yes, actually. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Okay, I figure I'll remain stationary this turn and engage building 0415 since I should be able to hit it fairly easily with my Mlas. Thoughts?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pick up train cars and hurl them into expensive industrial buildings!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Orders in... Let's see if some good old fashioned American Civil War tactics work in the 31st century.

Edit: And by that I mean, bloodthirsty, stupid tactics as exemplified by the 2nd Manassas LP.

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 28, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dominus Caedis posted:

Okay, I figure I'll remain stationary this turn and engage building 0415 since I should be able to hit it fairly easily with my Mlas. Thoughts?

A simple approach. Careful, though. You're going to be chipping away at it for a while with that ML before you do serious damage.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I feel like this is a trap objective and when you hit the number the CO is like "you did the math wrong, dumbkopf." 63.9 million kroner isn't 30 million C-Bills, it's like 128 million.

Unless Lestrade managed to decrease the value of the Commonwealth's treasury in just six years. loving Lestrade.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

I feel like this is a trap objective and when you hit the number the CO is like "you did the math wrong, dumbkopf." 63.9 million kroner isn't 30 million C-Bills, it's like 128 million.

Unless Lestrade managed to decrease the value of the Commonwealth's treasury in just six years. loving Lestrade.

The interest rate is something along the lines of 2.3 something C-bills per Kroner right now, due to the invasion. Then again, interest rates fluctuate pretty wildly and only C-Bills remain fairly constant.

1 C-Bill is theoretically worth approximately $9, IIRC (which means that 9 million C-bill Atlas actually costs about 86 million dollars) while the 72 million C-bill Defiance costs over 650 million.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 28, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Somehow I doubt their handlers expect them to call up the latest appraisal for their target buildings, or to call around to get repair quotes from local construction firms.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Arglebargle III posted:

Somehow I doubt their handlers expect them to call up the latest appraisal for their target buildings, or to call around to get repair quotes from local construction firms.

That would be awesome. Sales person fielding a large inquiry to the tune of 'So.. what would the most expensive building in the city centre be? Non residential?' set to the tune of laser and rocket fire.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So, from 212% the value of a c-bill to 43%. If the Combine Yen also lost 75% of it's value is it now worth less than it costs to produce?

E: also how the poo poo is the Defiance the most expensive machine? The thing uses a light engine.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^^ It's experimental.

So, from 212% the value of a c-bill to 43%. If the Combine Yen also lost 75% of it's value is it now worth less than it costs to produce?

Silly Defiance Industries, everyone knows Draconis Combine pays people in Katanas.

But yes, Lestrade being in charge has done a lot to ruin the economy and the Clan Invasion isn't exactly building consumer confidence.

VVVV The Friendly Persuaders carry automatic shotguns. They're not cool enough for Katanas.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 28, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

More like "un-katanas."

And by that I mean they get paid by not getting chopped in to pieces by the Friendly Persuaders.

E: if we're talking about the Defiance prototype, that's probably been surpasses by the stuff in the XTROs. Defiance Industries of Furillo has a prototype machine that uses an experimental Clan XL engine built on-site. Supposedly the engine alone costs as much as an entire Mech company of IS2 machines.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 28, 2011

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Friendly Persuaders carry automatic shotguns. They're not cool enough for Katanas.

But do they have Russian accent? Automatic shotgun only work when combined with Russian accent weapon system.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Should we know who Rain actually is, or is she much like Annie Sue, in being a character named in one book before dying?

Going to feel real stupid when she ends up being someone important.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

1 C-Bill is theoretically worth approximately $9, IIRC

Spooky-action phone calls (and therefor battlemechs) are cheaper than I thought they'd be! $9 a second to transmit anything to anyone in the galaxy instantly sounds like a pretty good deal honestly. It is also pretty sweet racket for Comstar! :lron:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

Spooky-action phone calls (and therefor battlemechs) are cheaper than I thought they'd be!

$9 a millisecond, actually; but that's usually enough time to transmit a full message. It's paying for priority service that's a real bitch--Comstar actually hires jumpships to deliver "mail" to some systems since HPG use is prohibitively expensive.

VVVV Nope, it was $5 in 1984 money

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 28, 2011

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I also wonder if that's $9 in 1984 dollars, from when BTech was first invented (christ it's almost as old as I am). So actually $18 if you go by that metric.

edit: I'd say let the three jumpers deal with the investigators and have the commando go nuts. The jumpers can use the nest of damage created by the Commando as a fall back position.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 28, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wait, wait. Comstar's "economy class" data transmission network is the jumpship pony express?

That is stupid. And kind of awesome.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wait, wait. Comstar's "economy class" data transmission network is the jumpship pony express?

That is stupid. And kind of awesome.

Depends on where you're sending to. An HPG from Tharkad to Coventry will go just via HPG. But a lot of the nowhere planets have small facilities that aren't set up to handle everything that needs to be sent. So the priority stuff goes by HPG on a small world, whereas most everything does on a big one.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Looking at 'mech positions, it looks like Terror Storm gets to have some fun.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Gratuitous property damage? Light, jumpy mechs? Murky political objectives? Oh, this was the mission I should have been in. :wooper: Enjoy yourselves, you beautiful people.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

PoptartsNinja posted:

$9 a millisecond, actually;

So, Comstar's rates are slightly less than those in Canada :v:

eh, just as well. Cellphones are probably lostech too.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Trochanter posted:

So, Comstar's rates are slightly less than those in Canada :v:

C-Bills are Usage Based Billing.

This is a dark and dystopian future. Don't even ask about Hyperpulse Neutrality. Vote Space NDP!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trochanter posted:

Yup, they are.

Which is fine, because those ComDroids and ComBerries and cPods would've been expensive as hell. 1 c-bill a millisecond is the lowest possible cost, and it raises exponentially when you add video or worse, have the message genetically encoded so that only the intended recipient can open it; and then rises exponentially again if you pay for priority service and then rises even higher when you pay to have the message sent now rather than waiting a month for the next batch transmission to go out...

... so, basically, HPGs are fast but even in the grimdark future it still takes six months to get your e-mail.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to add... ComStar's profit margin is less than 2%

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 28, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Their military is also really small, they have few factories, and they have no WarShips too, right? Bullshit, we all know Comstar is cooking the books.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to add... ComStar's profit margin is less than 2%

And yet it's still enough to apparently turn Earth into a utopia and be able to field the most technologically advanced military outside of the Clans.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Polaron posted:

And yet it's still enough to apparently turn Earth into a utopia and be able to field the most technologically advanced military outside of the Clans.

It's kind of like stock arbitrage. The returns are tiny, but the invested cash is so huge that you end up with a ton of money anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

David Corbett posted:

It's kind of like stock arbitrage. The returns are tiny, but the invested cash is so huge that you end up with a ton of money anyway.

Really their profit margin is whatever they want it to be. They adjusted transmission rates sneaking for years to try and depress the economies of the IS and manipulate the strengths of their relative currencies. Only the LC has shown any resilience to it at all.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Really their profit margin is whatever they want it to be. They adjusted transmission rates sneaking for years to try and depress the economies of the IS and manipulate the strengths of their relative currencies. Only the LC has shown any resilience to it at all.

Could well be. I don't know much about ComStar fluff.

I was just trying to say that having a small profit margin doesn't mean that you're not making mad bank anyway.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

David Corbett posted:

Could well be. I don't know much about ComStar fluff.

I was just trying to say that having a small profit margin doesn't mean that you're not making mad bank anyway.
It is, after all, 2% of a monopoly on a multi-trillion-dollar-equivalent industry.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I have a feeling that the identity of Rain may be more important in the future, assuming that wasn't just some fluff that PTN wrote for this update. Ex-Lohengrin, ex-Loki, assigned to kill Morgan Kell but relenting at the last minute, rejecting an offer to join the Kell Hounds? Definitely sounds important.

Nice shot flash broiling that ostentatious statue. Looks like all 3 of the jump-jet crew had the same idea though, only the Valkyrie took the shot first. Now to do some property damage. How much are those Stingers and tanks worth anyway, C-bill wise? While heading back to pop the train might be funny, it might take a bit too long for the Commando. Better just move away from those gas tank looking cylinders and blow those up and possibly cause a chain reaction for more property damage to fulfill the requirement.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Now to do some property damage. How much are those Stingers and tanks worth anyway, C-bill wise? While heading back to pop the train might be funny, it might take a bit too long for the Commando. Better just move away from those gas tank looking cylinders and blow those up and possibly cause a chain reaction for more property damage to fulfill the requirement.

Each Stinger mech: 1,615,440 C-bills
Scorpion Light Tank: 327,083 C-bills
Galleon Light Tank: 323,700 C-bills

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Obviously the light mechs need to make like the monsters in Rampage and powerslide down the buildings, fist flying.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

landcollector posted:

Each Stinger mech: 1,615,440 C-bills
Scorpion Light Tank: 327,083 C-bills
Galleon Light Tank: 323,700 C-bills

Welp, that's only about 4 million C-bills combined there. Better make with the property destruction to get to that 30 million total!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GhostStalker posted:

Welp, that's only about 4 million C-bills combined there. Better make with the property destruction to get to that 30 million total!

This is, of course, assuming that reinforcements don't show up. In which case it's possible that they could get away with doing less property damage.

But where's the fun in that? :black101:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Trast posted:

Obviously the light mechs need to make like the monsters in Rampage and powerslide down the buildings, fist flying.

I don't even want to think about what the pilot check would be for that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

David Corbett posted:

ComStar is the Goldman Sachs of the BattleTech Universe.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

those tanks of delicious alcohol are quite near a residential building.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
So... uh, if you guys are going to die, try to be in a building when it happens :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

AtomikKrab posted:

those tanks of delicious alcohol are quite near a residential building.

This.

Also lure enemy mechs close-by and blow them instead. Much smarter.

• Locked thread