Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
I have two titled "Adore Demos I" and "Adore Demos II" The one you have is I (7 tracks, which has a For Martha instrumental and an acoustic Blissed and Gone). The other one is II, 17 tracks with acoustic LMGTWTY, an odd electric Blissed and Gone, a demo of Soot and Stars, among other things. Both are awesome, but the LMGTWTY is fantastic quality (for a demo).

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

LtTennisBall posted:

I have two titled "Adore Demos I" and "Adore Demos II" The one you have is I (7 tracks, which has a For Martha instrumental and an acoustic Blissed and Gone). The other one is II, 17 tracks with acoustic LMGTWTY, an odd electric Blissed and Gone, a demo of Soot and Stars, among other things. Both are awesome, but the LMGTWTY is fantastic quality (for a demo).

Yeah poo poo, I just found out about this. I haven't followed the bootleg scene for years. Now I have to find this somewhere that isn't expired like the NSPAA apparently is haha.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.
Hi, I'm Murder McMurderson, and I own ThePumpkins.net :)

Adore Demos I: http://thepumpkins.net/music/98-music-adore-demos

Adore Demos II http://thepumpkins.net/music/637-music-adore-demos-ii

The songs that are commercially available are not available to download on the site, (like My Mistake) but the rest are there. Some of my favorites are Chewing Gum, Satellites, Cross and the Winterlong demo.

The demo of Let Me Give The World to You is the same that appears on the Machina Demos. Supposedly there is a finished Adore version, but it has never been heard.

Murder McMurderson fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 28, 2011

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Murder McMurderson posted:

Hi, I'm Murder McMurderson, and I own ThePumpkins.net :)

Adore Demos I: http://thepumpkins.net/music/98-music-adore-demos

Adore Demos II http://thepumpkins.net/music/637-music-adore-demos-ii

The songs that are commercially available are not available to download on the site, (like My Mistake) but the rest are there. Some of my favorites are Chewing Gum, Satellites, Cross and the Winterlong demo.

The demo of Let Me Give The World to You is the same that appears on the Machina Demos. Supposedly there is a finished Adore version, but it has never been heard.

Ahhhhh okay, if this is the same one from MAD then it is quite nice. Thanks for the songs! I can't believe that I missed this.

Ohhhhh yes. Good god I love this song. I can't tell you how happy you two have made me. The old Adore demos was some of my favorite pumpkins stuff, and to find out there's more :)

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

Ahhhhh okay, if this is the same one from MAD then it is quite nice. Thanks for the songs! I can't believe that I missed this.

Ohhhhh yes. Good god I love this song. I can't tell you how happy you two have made me. The old Adore demos was some of my favorite pumpkins stuff, and to find out there's more :)

no problem. It's kind of insane cause they're all pretty high quality, complete demos.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

LtTennisBall posted:

no problem. It's kind of insane cause they're all pretty high quality, complete demos.

And also thanks to you and my other benefactor, I now have the Hideout tracks from Zwan that I haven't heard since the great hard drive crash of 2005. I bet if we told Billy about this he'd put it on twitter.

Speaking of things that NEED studio presentations: half of Zwan's live material was loving amazing and never released. That's a tragedy. I saw them.. what, 3 times in 2002-03 and those were better than any pumpkins show I ever saw. Of course, the chances we'll see Glorious or Chrysanthemum or any number of other things are pretty slim

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 28, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

And also thanks to you and my other benefactor, I now have the Hideout tracks from Zwan that I haven't heard since the great hard drive crash of 2005. I bet if we told Billy about this he'd put it on twitter.

does he even acknowledge Zwan existed anymore?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

LtTennisBall posted:

Funny you should mention that

http://twitter.com/#!/Billy/status/63331019146797057

When the Warner Brothers rights come back/2014, i'll prepare re-issues of Zwan, my solo album, and Zeitgeist. Tons of unreleased stuff!

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

LtTennisBall posted:

Hasn't said anything about in forever, which is really sad because those were some of his best songs. Mind you, the album sucked pretty hard, but live it was a thing to behold.

It is like the christmas for smashing pumpkins fans ^^^^^^^^^^^ of course, no one cares about his solo record or zeitgeist and like four people care about zwan.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 28, 2011

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Platypus Farm posted:

Hasn't said anything about in forever, which is really sad because those were some of his best songs. Mind you, the album sucked pretty hard, but live it was a thing to behold.

It is like the christmas for smashing pumpkins fans ^^^^^^^^^^^ of course, no one cares about his solo record or zeitgeist and like four people care about zwan.

Zwan was amazing to listen to if you managed hear the lyrics without processing them as words. Not even The Polyphonic Spree could match that level of Up With People.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Guess I'm one of four. I loved Zwan.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Guess I'm one of four. I loved Zwan.

I liked it too. Although apparently the band liked to Encore with "Who We Be" by DMX which is odd. But I liked that one album.
Though to be quite honest my favorite post-Original pre-reunion Pumpkins thing Billy did was that one time he totally randomly did backing vocals on a New Order track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHn2E8yyW3k

And yes his solo album was certainly a thing.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 28, 2011

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

LtTennisBall posted:

I liked it too. Although apparently the band liked to Encore with "Who We Be" by DMX which is odd. But I liked that one album.
Though to be quite honest my favorite post-Original pre-reunion Pumpkins thing Billy did was that one time he totally randomly did backing vocals on a New Order track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHn2E8yyW3k

And yes his solo album was certainly a thing.

They were weird. I donno, apparently they absolutely couldn't stand one another but whenever I saw them live they were really playful and seemed to really enjoy being on-stage together.

And yeah billy's solo record was definitely there. I remember saying to my friend when I saw the cover: "oh no, he's naked, this isn't good."

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
The optimist in me cant wait for the new re-releases and the chance to buy another round of SP vinyl. The pessimist in me sees Billy remastering these albums without a second or third set of ears and I get a George Lucas type vibe. I fear the Siamese Dream remaster will be something like what has been don to Star Wars/Indiana Jones...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

In the new version of Mellon Collie, Jimmy Chamberlain's singing part will come first during Farewell and Goodnight.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Nail Rat posted:

In the new version of Mellon Collie, Jimmy Chamberlain's singing part will come first during Farewell and Goodnight.

Which line does he sing exactly, I could never tell.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 28, 2011

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Space Cadet posted:

The optimist in me cant wait for the new re-releases and the chance to buy another round of SP vinyl. The pessimist in me sees Billy remastering these albums without a second or third set of ears and I get a George Lucas type vibe. I fear the Siamese Dream remaster will be something like what has been don to Star Wars/Indiana Jones...

It's a remaster, not a remix. So it'd be closer to what was done to the French Connection if it were to turn up horrible.

Well, the new Machina could be a Star Wars situation.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

big business sloth posted:

Which line does he sing exactly, I could never tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28w4_cJK8Ss#t=1m45s

pretty sure he shares the second verse with Darcy (I linked to it). I only say this because the first verse sounds very much like Billy and James.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

gently caress, I love the piano riff at the end.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Neat article on Musicradar.com with Billy. My favourite part...

BC posted:

"I think the old version of the band never reached its full potential because of the drama. Let's remember, in 1995, the band was flying high, had just made a double album that was sprawling and aggressive…I mean, we went in there, balls-to-the-wall, and made some crazy music. We were pulling it off. We were just cresting on the wave when we imploded. People forget that. We never actually reached the full maximum of our potential. Of course, the heights that we did reach look very lofty in hindsight, and people think that's as far as we could have gone. We would've gone way further if some people would've just gone to loving rehab.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Neat article on Musicradar.com with Billy. My favourite part...

I think that the beginning of the end was when they kept touring after Jimmy's overdose. They should realized "oh poo poo, our drummer just OD'd and our keyboardist died, we should take a break." but they went on. Also it seems like it really wasn't completely Billy's fault they broke up. He was an egotist for sure, but he really did want the band to continue.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Honestly I'm inclined to think that whatever Billy's vision of their "full potential" was it would have been lovely music because he's always needed people reigning him in.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Honestly I'm inclined to think that whatever Billy's vision of their "full potential" was it would have been lovely music because he's always needed people reigning him in.

True. But I still would've have loved to see what they could've done if they hadn't imploded.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Corgan's writing in this related article, http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-what-john-lennon-means-to-me-282332, is pretty articulate, concise and fluid which is a real departure from his typical 'i <3 the world and u'

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Corgan posted:

We would've gone way further if some people would've just gone to loving rehab.

If this is a direct reference to Chamberlain, he came back one LP and tour later? If there still some grand thing they were supposed to do, couldn't it have easily been done with Auf Der Mar?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

D'Arcy also got kicked out of the band for being an addict and refusing to go to rehab.

edit: rereading your post, I guess you may have realized that, but I think losing Chamberlain and D'Arcy at the time they were just about at their creative peak probably did mess with band chemistry. I mean, at that point there was no one to rein in Billy; no brand new person is going to have the guts to stand up to him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I loved D'arcy, though say what you will about the necessity of having her in the band. However, I think the Machina line-up (William, James, James, Melissa) was perfect. That could've really kicked rear end, had it lasted.

I can't be the only one who is still trying to identify with the new members, am I? I think it comes from never really getting to know Zwan, and Zeitgeist having a different line-up. If he keeps Jeff, Nicole, and Mike for all of Kaleidescope, I can get used to them.

I miss the poo poo out of Iha, though.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Bubble-T posted:

Billy Corgan is the George Lucas of music? maybe

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can't be the only one who is still trying to identify with the new members, am I? I think it comes from never really getting to know Zwan, and Zeitgeist having a different line-up. If he keeps Jeff, Nicole, and Mike for all of Kaleidescope, I can get used to them.

I feel this as well. I was extremely pleased that they did "Drown", but when they opened their sets with songs I hadn't heard played by band members I hadn't taken the time to associate with a coveted album and it just wasn't there. That show was ok, if not meandering at times, but even at its peak I couldn't help but think I was seeing a bunch of session musicians and Corgan ripping through some old Pumpkin covers.

Maybe I'm approaching it for the wrong reasons. When I saw them live for the first time on the Mellon Collie tour, I had had 3 studio albums, tons of singles, and a b-sides collection to become fascinated and obsessed with the band. I poured over all the liner notes, read the interviews, and watched Viewphoria incessantly.

With this new band, there seems to be a disconnect. Maybe I'm just old and grumpy and have no time to seek out rubbish boots of the new material that is "so fantastic" yet never sees the light of day. Maybe I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the unfortunate incident that was Zeitgeist. Maybe I just stopped back on 11/29/2000. :iiam:

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
The new band hasn't exactly been around for awhile. I've been trying to get used to it by following them on twitter, reading blog posts, etc. It's worked pretty well. They all certainly have some personality and aren't random musicians behind Billy, but it's gonna take a while to get used to that, if you ever do.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

As regards the remasters, what do you think the verdict will be on the running order for Mellon Collie? I'm torn, personally---I love the gently caress out of the vinyl order, it feels way more intentionally constructed, and the Tonite Reprise and Infinite Sadness are so, so good.

But the piano outro on Farewell & Goodnight is the most perfect way to end anything ever, and having something pop up after that kinda kills the vibe. I dunno.

(also, goddamn I am so annoyed that I did not buy Judas O when it dropped. Yes, this means I have been annoyed for a decade now.)

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

hatelull posted:

With this new band, there seems to be a disconnect. Maybe I'm just old and grumpy and have no time to seek out rubbish boots of the new material that is "so fantastic" yet never sees the light of day. Maybe I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the unfortunate incident that was Zeitgeist. Maybe I just stopped back on 11/29/2000. :iiam:

I bought Zwan and caught one of later shows before Jimmy quit (mostly to see him drum :allears:) but other than that I really haven't been interested in anything Pumpkins since Judas 0.

So basically I haven't really cared about anything Billy has done for probably a decade now and I don't see any reason to care about what is literally some other band just because they have the name of a band I used to be obsessed with. I don't think that's old or grumpy.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

As regards the remasters, what do you think the verdict will be on the running order for Mellon Collie? I'm torn, personally---I love the gently caress out of the vinyl order, it feels way more intentionally constructed, and the Tonite Reprise and Infinite Sadness are so, so good.

But the piano outro on Farewell & Goodnight is the most perfect way to end anything ever, and having something pop up after that kinda kills the vibe. I dunno.

(also, goddamn I am so annoyed that I did not buy Judas O when it dropped. Yes, this means I have been annoyed for a decade now.)

I also prefer the vinyl order with tonite reprise and Infinite Sadness thrown in. Realistically though I doubt anything will be changed at all. I imagine each release will just get a spare disc or a few bonus track downloads with all the new stuff and you can make your own playlist which is fine by me, really. As long as we get cool bonus tracks, its whatever for me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, we probably won't see anything so drastic or great like that. Restructuring the albums around the vinyl running order might not happen, although who knows?

But that also means we don't have to worry about Billy ripping out D'arcy and James' parts on Siamese Dream and having Billy play it himself so he can finally get the sound he wants.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Cemetry Gator posted:

But that also means we don't have to worry about Billy ripping out D'arcy and James' parts on Siamese Dream and having Billy play it himself so he can finally get the sound he wants.

That happened years ago.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cemetry Gator posted:

Something tells me that Siamese Dream did not suffer from Billy doing that.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Steve Winwood posted:

That happened years ago.

The funny thing about that joke is that other artists have done the same thing. Frank Zappa did it, but not because he was a dick, but rather because he felt that the albums needed a different sound to succeed in the 80s. Ozzy replaced the bassist because I guess he didn't like the guy that played on some of his earlier albums. I can't really think of any other major examples, but who knows.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Owata is going to be released this tuesday on Laweekly.com

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was surprisingly depressed to hear some one refer to smashing pumpkins as "classic rock" in a gta thread. I guess I've reached 'that' age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Jippa posted:

I was surprisingly depressed to hear some one refer to smashing pumpkins as "classic rock" in a gta thread. I guess I've reached 'that' age.

I hate to break it to you: go to your local high school, and ask the highschoolers if they know who any Smashing Pumpkins songs.

I manage in retail, and I remember somehow the conversation came up to music videos, and I said "You know, we just need more acts who were like the Smashing Pumpkins, who made videos that were worth watching." And this girl, who was 17 at the time, said "Who?"

I discovered that she never even heard of the Smashing Pumpkins. That the words "despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage" were nothing to her. That "Today" was just another day and not the happiest song about not committing suicide. And that "Tonight, Tonight" wasn't the best video ever. She literally had nothing to do with this band.

I told her I would fire her if she didn't go on youtube and watch their videos within a week.

We had to let her go, but for a completely different reason... but I told my boss that it was the right thing to do since she's never even heard of the Smashing Pumpkins.

My boss said "What's that? One of those rap groups? Bah, you kids know nothing about good music. You should have been around for the Electric Prunes."

• Locked thread