Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LLJKSiLk posted:

For example, naming all your ships things like "Intimidator" and "Devastator" all seem fairly jingoistic in terms of the military industrial complex.

Well, real-world militaries tend to avoid calling their ships things like 'Soft fluffy cushion' and 'Nice relaxing backrub'. Devastator in particular is a perfectly respectable name for a warship; the US has one right now -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Devastator_%28MCM-6%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

You just made me go look up stardestroyer.net. That's quite a... thing :psyduck:
Yeah, they make theforce.net posters look well adjusted. I didn't know they existed until one of their regulars posted a 180 page rebuttal of the first Red Letter Media review.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

feedmegin posted:

Well, real-world militaries tend to avoid calling their ships things like 'Soft fluffy cushion' and 'Nice relaxing backrub'.

USS Jimmy Carter :rimshot:

Though really Executor is not so tough either, since the dictionary definition is "someone who does something".

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

feedmegin posted:

Well, real-world militaries tend to avoid calling their ships things like 'Soft fluffy cushion' and 'Nice relaxing backrub'. Devastator in particular is a perfectly respectable name for a warship; the US has one right now -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Devastator_%28MCM-6%29

Who the hell thought the name "Devastator" would be a good fit for a friggin Minesweeper? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

Who the hell thought the name "Devastator" would be a good fit for a friggin Minesweeper? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

It devastates...mines, I guess?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, the Avenger-class as a whole is amusing like that; names like Champion or Gladiator on non-combat ships.

Looping back to topic, some SW EU author thought "Belarus" was a fine name for an entire space cruiser class. Why not "North Korea"-class, then?

I also have a bit of a beef with "Viscount", but that's a somewhat nerdier argument.

star wars 3D
Apr 26, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Is the little jewish-looking bird puppet who sit next to Jabba the Hutt during the opening scene of The Empire Strikes Back a sentient race? Is he intelligent? Force sensitive?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

star wars 3D posted:

Is the little jewish-looking bird puppet who sit next to Jabba the Hutt during the opening scene of The Empire Strikes Back a sentient race? Is he intelligent? Force sensitive?

Yes, yes, and no....

yet?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

star wars 3D posted:

:psyduck:
I assume you're referring to Salacious Crumb from Return of the Jedi.

He's a Kowakian monkey lizard, which is a sentient, intelligent race. They may be Force sensitive, but I'm not sure it's been addressed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There was a Kowakian monkey lizard Dark Jedi in one of the Dark Forces games. The one with Jerec. Although I think he might have later been said to be a Force-altered mutant or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So who bought the gimmick account?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

So I think a Revan book is likely to be a pointless handjob to the lowest common denominator... meaning naturaly theforce.net loves the idea.

And who other than Drew Karpshyn, who cut his teeth video game novelizations with the Baldur's Gate series, to write it?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You know that KOTOR III game you guys wanted, here's a lovely licensed novel instead, now shut up and buy spiffy outfits for your online character. I think this could be pretty funny really. All the biggest sperglords already have "their Revan" thoroughly fixed in their mind, and any deviation from what they want is going to piss them off immensely. The other option is to dance around the issue like the comics did, and the book will end up having little to nothing to do with Revan.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

And who other than Drew Karpshyn, who cut his teeth video game novelizations with the Baldur's Gate series, to write it?

I still can't believe I actually tried to read those things when I found them in a used book store years back.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

So I think a Revan book is likely to be a pointless handjob to the lowest common denominator... meaning naturaly theforce.net loves the idea.

Can't wait to see how he changes KOTOR II.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Nucleic Acids posted:

I still can't believe I actually tried to read those things when I found them in a used book store years back.

I read both of them. I was young and stupid so I liked them, but those books made no loving sense. I didn't even realize those were written by Karpyshyn.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Chairman Capone posted:

Can't wait to see how he changes KOTOR II.

Wasn't he senior writer for KOTOR too?

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
He's been writing the Mass Effect novels as well. They've been ranging from '...decent' to poor, so I don't have high hopes for this.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

star wars 3D posted:

Wow did you make that account with the specific intent of trolling Star Wars fans? Pretty sad how bad it's failing.

edit: I like how they the "readers will learn who the Sith Emperor is in the time of the Old Republic," didn't they imply that it was the same guy? Spoiler alert Revan is now the Sith Emperor :siren:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

There was a Kowakian monkey lizard Dark Jedi in one of the Dark Forces games. The one with Jerec. Although I think he might have later been said to be a Force-altered mutant or something.

Oh hell, you're right. I know the game play for that game was good, but dammit were the plot and cutscenes some of the worst things I've ever seen.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

That DICK! posted:

edit: I like how they the "readers will learn who the Sith Emperor is in the time of the Old Republic," didn't they imply that it was the same guy? Spoiler alert Revan is now the Sith Emperor :siren:

Which Sith Emperor?

For that matter, have a smorgasbord of Sith Empires.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Ninja_Orca posted:

He's been writing the Mass Effect novels as well. They've been ranging from '...decent' to poor, so I don't have high hopes for this.

Even "...decent" seems pretty generous, though that's just based on my hearing of other's opinions (the Mass Effect thread in games, back when I used to skip through it) and not personal exposure.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Decius posted:

Wasn't he senior writer for KOTOR too?

He was the senior writer for the first KOTOR but had nothing to do with KOTOR II. Which is really evident from his Darth Bane books which draw heavily from KOTOR I while not mentioning anything from the second game. I think he even mentions something like how the Jedi Order had been at peace since their defeat of Malak, which of course kind of brushes over the whole elimination of the Jedi in KOTOR II.

Karpyshyn has said that the Exile is going to be in his Revan book, which should reassure me, but I just hope that means he actually played KOTOR II and isn't just basing it on reading the Wookieepedia Exile article or something.

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
Am I right in thinking Revan will be male in the book, and the Exile female?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Holy Cow posted:

Well, if it's true that people used to continually change the Exile's gender on Wookiepedia to male, he'll probably end up doing so to appease that crowd.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 28, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Well, if it's true that people used to continually change the Exile's gender on Wookiepedia to male, he'll probably end up doing so to appease that crowd.

Just when you think Wookieepedia couldn't get any more pathetic.

'Eeeeew, a girl hero! not in my Star Warrrrrrrs!'

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just when you think Wookieepedia couldn't get any more pathetic.

'Eeeeew, a girl hero! not in my Star Warrrrrrrs!'

But the other popular consensus is that Revan was a girl, or at least that's what I've heard.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Holy Cow posted:

I am pretty sure that the cannon ending has Reven as a male.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darth Freddy posted:

I am pretty sure that the cannon ending has Reven as a male.

Right, and the canon ending has the Exile being female. Changing that would be pandering for the worst reasons. Which means I'm sure that's what they'll do.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The only bad apart about having the female Exile is that tool, the disciple. The Handmaiden was much more badass and useful.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Personally I liked Revan as female and Exile as male better. What I really want to know is if he's going to give the Exile a name.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

The only bad apart about having the female Exile is that tool, the disciple. The Handmaiden was much more badass and useful.

One of these days, I got to see do a female Exile run. I need to see how much of a tool this guy is.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Yeah, the canon settings are that Revan was male and the Exile was female. Needless to say, countless bottom-feeders bitched about how the Exile couldn't be female, about how it smacked the face of Star Wars' tradition. The Star Wars fanbase is filled with manchildren who would make Lucas proud.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Somewhere in the depths of the internet there is incredibly right wing Star Wars fanfiction. I just know it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Chaos Hippy posted:

I read both of them. I was young and stupid so I liked them, but those books made no loving sense. I didn't even realize those were written by Karpyshyn.

My bad. He only wrote the third one (Throne of Bhaal), which wasn't... as bad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somewhere in the depths of the internet there is incredibly right wing Star Wars fanfiction. I just know it.

What do you mean "in the depths of the internet"? About half the official Star Wars novels are incredibly right-wing fanfiction.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

What do you mean "in the depths of the internet"? About half the official Star Wars novels are incredibly right-wing fanfiction.

You underestimate the insanity of internet fanfiction. I'm thinking about stuff that makes paranoid libertarian crazy Lando look a rational and sane individual.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

thrawn527 posted:

Right, and the canon ending has the Exile being female. Changing that would be pandering for the worst reasons. Which means I'm sure that's what they'll do.

I kind of doubt(hope) that the guy behind most of Revens back ground would change it to female just to appease a small minority of people and piss off a ton of people. Either way I don't care to much I ordered deceived today and sure as hell will order the Reven book.

I think the guys writing is pretty drat good for star wars and enjoyed the hell out of the Bane books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

You underestimate the insanity of internet fanfiction. I'm thinking about stuff that makes paranoid libertarian crazy Lando look a rational and sane individual.

I got curious and did a brief search. I found this short but sweet gem:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5132407/1/Christian_Jedi_Code

Also this, which I was kind of surprised to see on the official Star Wars website blog.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2009/05/05/what-if-conservatives-are-the-new-rebel-scum/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I got curious and did a brief search. I found this short but sweet gem:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5132407/1/Christian_Jedi_Code

Also this, which I was kind of surprised to see on the official Star Wars website blog.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2009/05/05/what-if-conservatives-are-the-new-rebel-scum/

I expected this kind of insanity, and still I am surprised: