Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

Of course, Thog in particular is also Roy's evil opposite; they have more reason than normal to be visually close.

Yeah, most of the original Linear Guild were just recolours of their good twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Right out of left field

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Zz'dtri, drat. Wouldn't have guessed that. Glad to see another original linear guild member return. Would be cool to see the entire roster return, as a matter of fact. The new guys from the ambush in that airship city so long ago never really felt right.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mylan posted:

Zz'dtri, drat. Wouldn't have guessed that. Glad to see another original linear guild member return. Would be cool to see the entire roster return, as a matter of fact. The new guys from the ambush in that airship city so long ago never really felt right.

I'm looking forward to the headless kobold (the one that Belkar used as a hat) returning as some kind of freaky undead.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
And Durkon's bastard child.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Holy loving callback. Excellent rational, as well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hooooly poo poo, magnificent. And it answers another long-standing question, too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I really should have seen that coming, just read the archives a couple weeks ago. But I totally didn't.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hooooly poo poo, magnificent. And it answers another long-standing question, too.

Oh, I assumed that was Girard.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, what's in Haley's bag that will save them from this situation?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So V decides that the best use of her/his turn is to cast fly and get up in melee range with the other wizard instead of something useful like hold person or dispel or even a freaking lightningbolt? Normally I don't care about stuff like that and I know the author has said that the pc's don't always make the most optimal decisions but that's just plain stupid. Even Elan wouldn't do that (well actually he might, because for him being in melee is good since he is a melee fighting person and not a ranged spellcaster). :downs:

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Oh cool, the most boring and pointless character in the comic came back, how exciting

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mystic Mongol posted:

Could be anything, as long as it doesn't have an edge. Potions, scrolls, another magic item, whatever.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Mystic Mongol posted:

Could be anything, but you have to know what you want out of the bag when you reach in to grab it, otherwise they'll have to dump it out to see. But I would assume Elan would have some idea as to what's in there, V too.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Looks like she withdrew a potion already. But it's also stone now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Poil posted:

So V decides that the best use of her/his turn is to cast fly and get up in melee range with the other wizard instead of something useful like hold person or dispel or even a freaking lightningbolt? Normally I don't care about stuff like that and I know the author has said that the pc's don't always make the most optimal decisions but that's just plain stupid. Even Elan wouldn't do that (well actually he might, because for him being in melee is good since he is a melee fighting person and not a ranged spellcaster). :downs:

V didn't cast fly, he just started flying. I'm assuming he cast Overland Flight on himself this morning like any smart wizard. It looks like he was about to cast something else, and the Drow nailed him in the face with something he had readied.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Poil posted:

If we were thinking about "plain stupid" not hitting V with that Flesh to Stone is much worse.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

He handled V without any issue last time, until the lawyers got involved, I imagine he assumes he can do it again.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HKR posted:

Right out of left field

Just read and... :aaaaa:

Wonder what that lightning is, though.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 28, 2011

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

That wizard really was glaring at them the whole time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cabbit posted:

V didn't cast fly, he just started flying. I'm assuming he cast Overland Flight on himself this morning like any smart wizard. It looks like he was about to cast something else, and the Drow nailed him in the face with something he had readied.
You're right. I saw the purple aura as V casting a spell, but upon closer inspection V doesn't specifically say "fly".

Hypocrisy posted:

If we were thinking about "plain stupid" not hitting V with that Flesh to Stone is much worse.
But that would make V unable to hear the taunting. It's also a pretty nice insult of "that rogue is more threatening than you are". :)

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Anatharon posted:

Just read and... :aaaaa:

Wonder what that lightning is, though.

(Greater) Shadow Evocation?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

I can't blame a mage for wanting to take out the rogue first.
An archery based rogue to boot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kalas posted:

I can't blame a mage for wanting to take out the rogue first.
An archery based rogue to boot.

Bah, archery poses no threat to any semi competent mage.

quote:

Wind Wall

Evocation [Air]
Level: Air 2, Clr 3, Drd 3, Rgr 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Wall up to 10 ft./level long and 5 ft./level high (S)
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

An invisible vertical curtain of wind appears. It is 2 feet thick and of considerable strength. It is a roaring blast sufficient to blow away any bird smaller than an eagle, or tear papers and similar materials from unsuspecting hands. (A Reflex save allows a creature to maintain its grasp on an object.) Tiny and Small flying creatures cannot pass through the barrier. Loose materials and cloth garments fly upward when caught in a wind wall. Arrows and bolts are deflected upward and miss, while any other normal ranged weapon passing through the wall has a 30% miss chance. (A giant-thrown boulder, a siege engine projectile, and other massive ranged weapons are not affected.) Gases, most gaseous breath weapons, and creatures in gaseous form cannot pass through the wall (although it is no barrier to incorporeal creatures).

While the wall must be vertical, you can shape it in any continuous path along the ground that you like. It is possible to create cylindrical or square wind walls to enclose specific points.
Zz'dtri should also have access to Deflect Arrows, Stoneskin, Greater Invisibility, etc to completely hose Harley. Does Elan know Dispel Magic of any kind?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
OotS has never at any point ignored the wealth of options Mages have to invalidate absolutely everything in order to give the PCs a fighting chance. Never ever.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Isn't he a sorcerer? His gimmick appears to be direct damage spells as well, most of which are Reflex to avoid. If that's all the case then Haley really is the biggest combat threat to him present.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
A good Rogue at high level can gently caress up nearly everything. Archery focus or no.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

rotinaj posted:

A good Rogue at high level can gently caress up nearly everything. Archery focus or no.

A good Rogue at high level can't do jack poo poo, because almost every high-level enemy is immune to sneak attacks, and spells can do everything skills can, only much much better.

(This is in 3.5, of course.)

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Poil posted:

While the wall must be vertical, you can shape it in any continuous path along the ground that you like.

....not too useful for a flying target at least 10' up.

Ashenai posted:

A good Rogue at high level can't do jack poo poo, because almost every high-level enemy is immune to sneak attacks, and spells can do everything skills can, only much much better.

I didn't seen an Iron/Stone Body type effect.

I stopped playing PnP D&D just before 3.5 hit, so I definitely may not know of what may be a simple solution.

What I meant is, scrawny mages, especially scrawny elf mages can be one-round dead to a rogue if they get to act first or by surprise.

Another mage could also take them out, but it's more of a battle.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Kalas posted:

I didn't seen an Iron/Stone Body type effect.

I stopped playing PnP D&D just before 3.5 hit, so I definitely may not know of what may be a simple solution.

Invisibility, incorporeality, and even partial concealment all make you immune to sneak attacks (and any spellcaster has dozens of ways to grant any of those statuses.) But I was also talking about monsters: so many high-level monster types get sneak attack immunity just as a byproduct of their type, or incidentally, that rogues are just completely crippled in high-level 3.5 D&D.

Haley would be pretty much helpless against an invisible enemy. Greater Invisibility is a level 4 spell. Friggin' Blur is level 2, and fucks rogues over almost as completely. Or even a spell like Solid Fog: now she can't move at any decent speed, and everyone has partial or total concealment from her, so no sneak attacks with her bow either. There's a reason Rich makes spellcasters in the OotS world pull their punches and not use most of their really useful spells: I don't think invisibility was ever even used in combat.

You're right that a rogue could easily kill a mage in a single round if the mage is unaware and unprepared, though.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 30, 2011

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ashenai posted:

Mages tend not to be. In fact, most player-class enemies aren't. Sure, monsters often are, but this dark elf shouldn't be immune to sneak attacks. Thog should be. That's about it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ashenai posted:

You really don't want to underestimate anyone with who has Bluff, Diplomacy, Disable Device, UMD, 8+Int Skill Points a level, and a whole host of Class Features oriented around loving Up Your poo poo. Given enough time and information, there's every possibility a high level Rogue could kill a high level Wizard.

It's just that it's probably not ever going to happen during open combat.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It reminds me about that line from the World of Darkness thread about how a vampire's going to have a hard time taking on other supernaturals in a fair fight, but if you're a vampire, why on earth would you ever enter a fair fight?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cabbit posted:

You really don't want to underestimate anyone with who has Bluff, Diplomacy, Disable Device, UMD, 8+Int Skill Points a level, and a whole host of Class Features oriented around loving Up Your poo poo. Given enough time and information, there's every possibility a high level Rogue could kill a high level Wizard.

Well, sure, if the wizard is an NPC. But that's not really the crux of the problem if we're discussing it as a problem - it's that people playing wizards who know how to play them completely obsolete people playing rogues.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
This sounds suspiciously like a Batman versus Superman discussion. :colbert:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cabbit posted:

Shenanigans!

The thief's ability to get along well with others and detected spring-loaded knife traps are not equal in power to the wizard's ability get along well with extra planar creatures and detect anything he wants to. The rogue has a fair amount of out of combat utility, but a wizard has MORE out of combat utility. And the UMD skill just lets a rogue perform as (dun dun dunnn) a weak, unreliable caster! Yet it's widely regarded as the best skill, because being a caster is amazing.

Your claim that given enough time and information, a rogue could kill a wizard, is true to an extent--a rogue who a wizard doesn't know exists could have a shot at killing the wizard, as long as that wizard doesn't regularly cast divination spells to warn him about upcoming threats. Might work, but as soon as the wizard catches on to what's going on, it's flesh to stone (or quickened teleport to other side of planet -- or hell, a contingency plane shift to the elemental plane of positive energy). And the rogue could find a way to get past the contingencies, the dominated politicians, the sleepless enchanted tremorsensing familiar, and the fact that the wizard lives in a tower with neither doors nor windows, shaped like a giant penis, because he can.

Now flip that. Imagine if a high level wizard decided to kill a high level rogue. What possible precautions can someone with improved tumble take against an unknown aggressor who can kill with a word and can see anything, go anywhere, and do anything in six seconds? There isn't a use rope check high enough.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

The discussion isn't about a Wizard's ability to assassinate a Rogue, so it's not really relevant. And, really, the fact of the matter is that there are ways to get past each of those obstacles.

There are items to counter Divination effects, the Darkstalker feat lets you hide from people with Tremorsense, Sense Motive can discern if the politician you're talking to is an enchanted thrall you should avoid like the plague, and a scroll of Anti-Magic Zone turns a mighty wizard into a commoner with ranks in Knowledge: Arcana. Walking through walls is so trivial Ninja can do it.

Obviously, Wizards are more powerful than Rogues. I'm just saying, preparation can beat power. It a very possible thing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Just look how easy Xylon handed V's rear end to itself. sure, part of it was that V didnn't have the combined saving throws of an epic character but V was still using magic as a Cudel, rather than being subtle about it.

. BRB, going to read that arc again. Was so loving awesome.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008

Cabbit posted:

I'm just saying, preparation can beat power. It a very possible thing.

Nilbop posted:

This sounds suspiciously like a Batman versus Superman discussion. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, anyway, in the fight that started with one surprise round, Haley would likely do a fairly good job of ruining the Dark Elf's day, unless he, say, happened to use Flesh to Stone on her.