Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Got a perfect score. Wasn't too hard. There were only two sections that I had to really think about, but wiggling the tiles back and forth makes everything apparent.

RizieN posted:

^^ For the longest time I thought everyone was loving stupid and that Blue/Purple/Indigo/Turquoise were all different shades of the same color :(

My color blindness hasn't been too much of a hindrance aside from those minor annoyance, except for one area : Painting. Took intro to painting and mixing/making colors was a loving bitch. Could never get a skin tone, and gently caress if I could get anything close to accurate browns/greens/reds. My teacher was a prick too, wanted me to bring in documentation of my colorblindness and didn't believe me. I don't even think he believed color blindness existed.

My dad has two types of colorblindness, but he somehow hides it really well. I didn't realize it until I was 6 or 7. My sister didn't find out until she was about 10. It's one of those things you'd expect to show up a bunch, but surprisingly unless you're talking about specific colors within a certain range it doesn't come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

A5H posted:

I saw someone using a crazy rear end 2000fps hd video camera. Called the something gold? Think its cost like 100k. Now my 7d isn't so impressive and I want to shoot in crazy slo-mo haha.

I've always wanted to get the Casio EX-F1, which will do 1200fps. Unfortunately it still goes for $1000+ on ebay :(

http://gizmodo.com/#!383843/casio-exilim-ex+f1-slow+mo-super-cam-full-review-verdict-totally-unique-shockingly-powerful

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 28, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Which of Us Dies First?

Another point of view on journalism, and war journalism especially.

drat, thanks for sharing. Good, tough read. I didn't know Tim or Chris (beyond their excellent work), but I know enough other photographers who did, I'm interested in seeing their reactions to this. I hope they can see the logic and sadness in it.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
These photos are awesome. Because if you want to be a world class rabbit hurdle photographer, you need to put in the long, grueling hours at the practice facility first.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Augmented Dickey posted:

I've always wanted to get the Casio EX-F1, which will do 1200fps. Unfortunately it still goes for $1000+ on ebay :(

http://gizmodo.com/#!383843/casio-exilim-ex+f1-slow+mo-super-cam-full-review-verdict-totally-unique-shockingly-powerful

Badass. Seems sorta cheap too.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

ExecuDork posted:

I can't see the article (and it's not a colour thing, I scored 28). I just get the Gizmodo main page, though the url includes "which-of-us-dies-first". I get the same thing on some other magazine-type webpages (e.g. Jalopnik), what am I doing wrong? Why doesn't the link take me directly to that article?

Fake edit: I did a search for "which of us dies first" and the third hit was to the story.

Real edit: Holy crap that's a great read. Short, punchy, and very thought provoking. Thanks for the link.

That's Gawker loving with you because you aren't American. Any links to any one of their sites that is clicked on by someone outside America just goes straight to the main page. Brilliant way to drive traffic and business, I'm sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

scottch posted:

That's Gawker loving with you because you aren't American. Any links to any one of their sites that is clicked on by someone outside America just goes straight to the main page. Brilliant way to drive traffic and business, I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure Gawker is nothing but an elaborate troll. Their recent site redesign confirms it.. they're running an experiment to see how painful a website can be before people stop visiting completely.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BobTheCow posted:

These photos are awesome. Because if you want to be a world class rabbit hurdle photographer, you need to put in the long, grueling hours at the practice facility first.

Yay bunnies!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Camera RAW got updated today for the X100.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163404&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=218#post391020521

TL;DR Silkypix was DESTROYING fine detail. LR is much better, lens correction near perfect. A+++++!! would raw-interpret again.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 28, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Haggins posted:

TL;DR: X-rite has an Online Color Challenge where you can test how well you see color. I scored 23 drunk at 3am on a laptop screen. Gonna try again sober on a calibrated monitor to see if I do any better.

Nice, I got a 3. I had some serious loving trouble with a blue to green area, and that's where I hosed up. It's close enough for me :)

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

BobTheCow posted:

That's awesome, I hope one of these wins a POY competition. haha.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Haggins posted:

Just read an interesting article from Jeff Revell about being a color blind photographer.

TL;DR: X-rite has an Online Color Challenge where you can test how well you see color. I scored 23 drunk at 3am on a laptop screen. Gonna try again sober on a calibrated monitor to see if I do any better.

Got a 16. I don't think that that's too bad. :) I had four wrong on the ends of each line.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I have really nice dell monitors at work and I got a 36. At home on my lovely Samsung, i got a 24.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

pseudonordic posted:

Yay bunnies!

:golfclap:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ease posted:

I have really nice dell monitors at work and I got a 36. At home on my lovely Samsung, i got a 24.

Like someone on the last page pointed out, calibration doesn't matter because it's not colour identification, just difference sensitivity. As long as you're doing the whole test on the same monitor, your score has nothing to do with how that monitor is calibrated.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
My Lensrentals order arrived. No robot kissing. :(

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

BobTheCow posted:

Don't be too sad, they've been slammed with bad weather problems and power outages. Your're lucky that everything got there on time and in one piece.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Well I suppose this is interesting, popped up on one of my photography friends facebook feed; Kickstarter for some guy who wants to make...glow in the dark photos?

What do you guys think?

e; turns out this guy is in my city too...I'll have to ask my friend about him tonight, see if he has any real world examples or anything.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 29, 2011

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Awesome short film about a camera :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_9CHsKMFtk

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Thats sad and a pretty cool idea...but man youtube comments always crack me up;

quote:

i wish in ma life it was real!!!
Thumbs up if u think its true,,that u wanna the same!!
Miss her!!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sorry, guys; your x100s just aren't hip enough :o:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

^^^ I'm not sure what's more ridiculous about this. The idea that they'd link a top of the line camera to a cellphone, or the idea of Apple collaborating with another company on hardware.

BobTheCow posted:

Send them a complaint e-mail.

Unless they really have been hosed hard by the storms. Maybe draw a robot kissing on the box when you send it back?

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 29, 2011

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Who would want to plug their phone into their camera everytime they want to use it? Unless you want to give your leica it's own phone number and have two iphones? Dummmb.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mr. mephistopheles posted:

^^^ I'm not sure what's more ridiculous about this. The idea that they'd link a top of the line camera to a cellphone, or the idea of Apple collaborating with another company on hardware.
Eh, if the iPhone is nothing more than a big memory card and web portal thingy and the Leica has all proper camera gubbins inside it that's not so bad, thoughthen you might as well just build it in to the camera in the first place (but that wouldn't be nearly as 'cool')

As for Apple, if you could prove there were enough $$$ to be made Apple would license real hollowed out premature baby iPhone covers. :o:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ease posted:

Who would want to plug their phone into their camera everytime they want to use it? Unless you want to give your leica it's own phone number and have two iphones? Dummmb.

I can see some justification.. you could use the phone's data plan to upload images, means the camera can focus on being a camera. But considering you can get an SD card reader for the iPhone, it's still a stupid idea.

But I think the real deal breaker would be forcing the iPhone to process 20MP RAWs. The battery would go dry in half an hour.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

:stare:

I think Leica's target market generally appreciates the fact that their camera isn't full of menus and useless features.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Prototype looks stupid too. iPhone should go the other way.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I would buy the ever loving poo poo out of a phone that could be a digital back for an SLR/rangefinder style camera. If it were actually a good phone and camera that is.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ease posted:

You really think that the average Leica owner will have a problem buying a second iphone just for storage for their camera?

I'm just surprised that Leica doesn't already sell a Leica-branded SD card for $400

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

spog posted:

You really think that the average Leica owner will have a problem buying a second iphone just for storage for their camera?

I'm just surprised that Leica doesn't already sell a Leica-branded SD card for $400
Come now, they're Leica, not Monster Cable.

edit: Monster Cable should get into the flash memory business and make (even bigger) bank. Imagine all the Rich Doctors that would fork out hundreds of dollars for Oxygen-infused Gold-Contact etc etc Monster SD cards.

pwn fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 30, 2011

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Oh god I forgot all about Monster Cable, I had no idea they were even still around... A 4ft HDMI cable for $250 hahhaa... gently caress this gay earth.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

spog posted:

But as mentioned, at that point you may as well just build it into the camera as the gimmick is pointless.

And holy poo poo Monster would make money out the rear end if they sold memory.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to Detroit on May 20-22 to give a lecture at the art university there (on 3D) and I want to take some photos. Any dorkroom peeps want to join? Nonanone, aren't you a Michigander?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

poopinmymouth posted:

I'm going to Detroit on May 20-22 to give a lecture at the art university there (on 3D) and I want to take some photos. Any dorkroom peeps want to join? Nonanone, aren't you a Michigander?

I'm from the other side of the state, but have been to Detroit plenty of times. The downtown area by the Fox theater, GM building (Ren Cen), and stadiums is pretty cool. So is the Henry Ford museum at Greenfield Village. If you are feeling adventerous and want an industrial setting, you can always go down by the old Ford plant on the Rouge River.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Are you talking at College of Creative Studies? Anyways, we should definitely go shoot/grab drinks, when it gets a little closer I can PM you my number. Depending on what you want to shoot, there's literally the choice of anything from tons of urb-ex to entire houses decorated in polka dots (Heidlberg Project), beaches (lake erie) and forests or opulence (Fox theatre/greektown).

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm in Ann Arbor, and I'd be interested in seeing Detroit with someone more familiar with the city.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

nonanone posted:

Are you talking at College of Creative Studies? Anyways, we should definitely go shoot/grab drinks, when it gets a little closer I can PM you my number. Depending on what you want to shoot, there's literally the choice of anything from tons of urb-ex to entire houses decorated in polka dots (Heidlberg Project), beaches (lake erie) and forests or opulence (Fox theatre/greektown).

I don't think so. It's called IADT Detroit. sort of like those art institutes, a chain art school.

I will actually still be on crutches, but I mostly want to shoot interesting buildings and city stuff. Though forests and beaches sound cool too! It's a short trip though, just the weekend and most of Saturday is taken up with the lectures. I really wanted to make it to Ann Arbor to go to Neco (necro?) the big gay dance club, but not willing to pay the taxi fare for that privilege.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Ah yeah I know IADT, I've photographed their fashion show before. As it so happens, I live in Ann Arbor (what's up afoolishpianist), and so if you want to go to Necto on Friday (which is gay night) it's a ton of fun. It's only a half hour drive from downtown Detroit, so not bad at all, and I have a car :D. Here's a good place to start looking at places you might want to photograph if you're interested in architecture and awesome old buildings. http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

nonanone posted:

Ah yeah I know IADT, I've photographed their fashion show before. As it so happens, I live in Ann Arbor (what's up afoolishpianist), and so if you want to go to Necto on Friday (which is gay night) it's a ton of fun. It's only a half hour drive from downtown Detroit, so not bad at all, and I have a car :D. Here's a good place to start looking at places you might want to photograph if you're interested in architecture and awesome old buildings. http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places

OH MY GOOOOOSH that would be so amazing to go Friday night. I'll let you play with my X100 (and buy you a mojito or three)

Thanks for the link too, checking it out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

AnnArborChat:

I'm a grad student and a TA for the university, and ever since finals week started and the weather turned, I've been hanging out in a hammock in riverside parks during the afternoons. Working while swinging from trees is great.

This afternoon, the local rowing teams were practicing, and I snapped a photo with my phone.

Hammock on the Huron by Stephen Tyndall, on Flickr

This city is awesome in the summer.