Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Ak Gara posted:

How did you avoid star trails with a 30 second exposure?

What annoys me is, if my camera takes a 10 second exposure, it then goes into "processing mode" for 10 seconds. A 20 second exposure makes me wait 20 seconds, 30 for 30, 60 for 60, etc. It's really annoying because I like to take multiple exposures for error correction but the pause time makes a gap in recording.

Do all cameras do this or is it just mine?

With a wide enough focal length, you can go 30 seconds without star trails. There are actually some star trails starting to form, but you can't really see them.

I don't know what camera you have, but on Canon what you're talking about is "long exposure noise reduction." Check your manual and you should have an option to turn that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Ak Gara posted:

What annoys me is, if my camera takes a 10 second exposure, it then goes into "processing mode" for 10 seconds. A 20 second exposure makes me wait 20 seconds, 30 for 30, 60 for 60, etc. It's really annoying because I like to take multiple exposures for error correction but the pause time makes a gap in recording.

What camera do you have and what speed are your cards?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

With a wide enough focal length, you can go 30 seconds without star trails. There are actually some star trails starting to form, but you can't really see them.

I don't know what camera you have, but on Canon what you're talking about is "long exposure noise reduction." Check your manual and you should have an option to turn that off.

What difference does long exposure noise reduction make to long exposures anyway?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

With a wide enough focal length, you can go 30 seconds without star trails.

The formula I keep seeing is something like 600/focal length = maximum exposure in seconds if you don't want trails.

A question I have is, is that actual focal length, or effective focal length if you're using a DSLR with a smaller sensor?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Falco posted:

What camera do you have and what speed are your cards?

It's a DMC-TZ10, which I think is called an LS7 in the US? The memcard speed is Class 4. I can do a 5 burst shot of a 1 second exposure just fine, but a 10/20/30/60 etc second exposure requires 10/20/30/60 etc seconds of thinking time after each photo.

This was with a 60 second timer, f3.3, and if I'm reading the exif right, 4mm focus length?

Stars 001 by Gara Von Hoiwkenzoiber, on Flickr

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Ak Gara posted:

It's a DMC-TZ10, which I think is called an LS7 in the US? The memcard speed is Class 4. I can do a 5 burst shot of a 1 second exposure just fine, but a 10/20/30/60 etc second exposure requires 10/20/30/60 etc seconds of thinking time after each photo.

This was with a 60 second timer, f3.3, and if I'm reading the exif right, 4mm focus length?

Stars 001 by Gara Von Hoiwkenzoiber, on Flickr

I would say the post above mine is onto something with the noise reduction. Also in my experience a p&s is substantially slower at processing my shots than an SLR, but I'm not familiar with your camera so I'm not sure what is specifically going on.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Auditore posted:

What difference does long exposure noise reduction make to long exposures anyway?

It's supposed to help, but I don't usually use it. I tried a few test shots using it once and didn't see much of a difference.

Phanatic posted:

The formula I keep seeing is something like 600/focal length = maximum exposure in seconds if you don't want trails.

A question I have is, is that actual focal length, or effective focal length if you're using a DSLR with a smaller sensor?

Yeah 600 or 500 / focal length is the rule of thumb. I was pushing it by going 30 seconds. You can see trails if you zoom in 100%.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe you have to include the crop factor. So:

600 / (focal length * crop factor)

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
One of the first long-exposures I did with my E-620:

Lighthouse by Setzu, on Flickr

If you look close you'll see the entire frame is lightly dusted with digital specks which have proven impossible to efficiently remove, evidently an aftereffect of an overheated sensor or something. I was very annoyed by this.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

edit: ^^^try the noise filter function on yours, will definitely help.

Ak Gara posted:

I have a anti-noise function that works exactly like that on my Olympus E-420, it's called "noise filter". The camera basically makes a second identical exposure and then subtracts one from the other. It might be an option in some menu on yours.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Phanatic posted:

Yes, you have to use the effective FL for the same reason you have to use the effective FL when using the hand-held rule of 1/FL.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

These were taken a few months ago and are some of the shots I was happier with.

IMG_3337 by Rocky Bar, on Flickr

IMG_3349 by Rocky Bar, on Flickr

IMG_3345 by Rocky Bar, on Flickr

Also my first Dorkroom post :3:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Rockybar posted:

Also my first Dorkroom post :3:
Welcome! The colors in your first pic are quite nice. I think I'd like the third one if the clouds weren't allowed to blur and whatever is in the very bottom right were cleaned up/removed.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that tree in the bottom corner. I was thinking of cropping out the tree in the middle and making it a wide and narrow photo.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
cross-post from the PAD thread... went for a morning hike in the San Jacinto mountains above Palm Springs this morning.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Rockybar posted:

I was thinking of cropping out the tree in the middle
The little bit of tree is what makes it interesting. Just enough to be unusual.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
crosspost from PAD

Bay Bridge by capacity4action, on Flickr

Moonshine by capacity4action, on Flickr

Lightshow by capacity4action, on Flickr

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Duckjob posted:

crosspost from PAD

Bay Bridge by capacity4action, on Flickr

Moonshine by capacity4action, on Flickr

Lightshow by capacity4action, on Flickr

Noice.

First long exposure with the X100. 2 seconds.

2011_04_15a by mr-chompers, on Flickr

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Woohoo - new lens. Let me celebrate with a moon shot :woop:

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

poopinmymouth posted:

First long exposure with the X100. 2 seconds.

2011_04_15a by mr-chompers, on Flickr
Beautiful shot! I miss that church (and I'm not religious).

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Death Valley Star Trails by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Not my photos (I wish!), but I feel this is worth posting regardless.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/22439234

I guess it fits in the timelapse thread as well but most of this one is night-time shots. His aurora one is well-worth checking out, too.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
First attempt at a long exposure night shot. I tried to do some star trails but god drat it was cold out and I couldn't get the focus right. Plus I think I'm gonna need some sort of remote. Any tips on focusing on stars at night or is it all just trial and error?

20s f/3.5 18mm ISO 800

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

IceLicker posted:

Plus I think I'm gonna need some sort of remote. Any tips on focusing on stars at night or is it all just trial and error?
I try to autofocus on something like the moon. That'll get you set to true infinity. Wait until your camera has been out in the cold for a little while before you focus so that stuff won't contract and maybe throw your focus off.

A remote is nice but you don't need one - just set it to 10 second self-timer, press it and leave it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

IceLicker posted:

First attempt at a long exposure night shot. I tried to do some star trails but god drat it was cold out and I couldn't get the focus right. Plus I think I'm gonna need some sort of remote. Any tips on focusing on stars at night or is it all just trial and error?

20s f/3.5 18mm ISO 800

The stars seem to be in focus. To get infinity focus, try and focus on the brightest thing in the sky.

If that doesn't work, just try and focus on something far enough away like a street lamp. On a wide angle lens, infinity isn't far away. On a crop sensor, 18mm, f/3.6, your hyperfocal distance is 15.8 feet (add a few more feet just to be sure you got it.)

This is pretty helpful: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Edit: Actually, the overall focus seems pretty good. It's hard to tell if it's perfect at this resolution though.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 22, 2011

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Interesting, I'll definitely try those suggestions. The shot of the house was the last shot of the night after I gave up shooting just stars and I'm pretty happy with the way that one turned out. The stars I was trying to shoot were in another direction filled almost completely with sky and I didn't even think to try focusing on the moon.

Also,what I've been looking into is some way to program my TI83 to hold open the shutter for an extended length when I put the camera in 'bulb' mode (maybe like 10-20 minutes) to so that I don't have to sit there with my finger on the button and possibly bump the camera and blur the shot. That's the only reason I really mention a remote. I've seen how the calculator can already act as an intervalometer for time lapse which I'll have to try out.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
You can buy cheap wired/wireless remotes for $10-$25. The wireless one is nice since in bulb mode the first click opens the shutter and the second closes it. The wired one has a thing that slides over the button to keep it pressed. They are both cheap poo poo (my wireless one barely lasted a year, and I'm super careful about everything), but they get the job done for a good price.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
From earlier tonight:

Communications by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

M25 by night by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

I'm not sure whether to edit out the wires over the road using context aware fill. Is it better to have more or less light trails in a shot like this?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Vincent Thomas Bridge by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
^-- Pretty lights :3:

Auditore posted:

I'm not sure whether to edit out the wires over the road using context aware fill. Is it better to have more or less light trails in a shot like this?
I like the light trails and did not notice the wires. What irks me is that the photo is tilted.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
ANZAC Morning.

ANZAC Morning. by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
How do you film guys take long exposure night shots? With my digital camera at least I can test out the settings before attempting a good shot. With film I won't know the results until I process and develop. Is it just hit or miss or is there some strategy within?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Skynet by JEB-Stuart, on Flickr

A better one.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

Went downtown last night and got a few nice shots.

Changing lanes by JCleasy, on Flickr

Parking 2 by JCleasy, on Flickr

Union Pacific by JCleasy, on Flickr

Big Floppy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 28, 2011

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

How do you film guys take long exposure night shots? With my digital camera at least I can test out the settings before attempting a good shot. With film I won't know the results until I process and develop. Is it just hit or miss or is there some strategy within?
Meter like you would for any other photo (or take a digital test exposure until it looks right) and check the reciprocity failure chart for the film you're using.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Not sure where I posted this, but it's one of my favorites:

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Big Floppy posted:

Union Pacific by JCleasy, on Flickr

You should try going back and going closer on the right hand third of the frame. Some thing interesting should be able to eventuate with all those pipes and framing.

EDIT: Something like this is what I'm getting at:

Auditore fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 28, 2011

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Munkaboo posted:

Not sure where I posted this, but it's one of my favorites:

I love the colors on this. Nice work! I'm jealous of those around water and major cities for photography like this.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Auditore posted:

You should try going back and going closer on the right hand third of the frame. Some thing interesting should be able to eventuate with all those pipes and framing.

Rules. The blue and orange look great.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Auditore posted:

Out of curiosity, what is this a picture of? As in, what kind of tank farm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
A chemical plant in Long Beach. It's not by me, from this guy: http://www.tompaiva.com/index.html

He's pretty much awesome at those kinds of shot.