Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's hilarious how well that works. (Luring mechs past explosives.) At least in Mechcommander 2. Let's see if these pilots are just as dumb!

And everyone should remember, all this fluff about HPG charges and whatnot are subject to the requirements of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

rereading... snow is ex-loki?

well obviously the question is how many rat anuses has snow used offensively, on orphans or otherwise.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Felime posted:

So... uh, if you guys are going to die, try to be in a building when it happens :)

Or on it.

Then again, jumping on top of a building might mean the roof would collapse, wouldn't it?

And if all else fails, rush the battle lines before you blow up to make sure you take them with you!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

rereading... snow is ex-loki?

well obviously the question is how many rat anuses has snow used offensively, on orphans or otherwise.

Rain is ex-Loki. Snow is ex-Lyran Guard.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

those tanks of delicious alcohol are quite near a residential building.

Affi posted:

This.

Also lure enemy mechs close-by and blow them instead. Much smarter.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's hilarious how well that works. (Luring mechs past explosives.)

Y'all gonna look stupid when you pull the trigger and learn those tanks are filled with "Caesar's Choice" all-natural peanut butter-flavored soda.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ceasar would never drink anything non-alcoholic.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Affi posted:

I dunno, peanut-butter and chocolate flavored soda pop might be frat-boy enough for him without booze. I mean, it's like a fizzy, liquid Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

Are Reese's Cups LosTech?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Probably not, but they would be heavily controlled by ComStar since I'm fairly certain Chocolate was never exported (I don't recall anyone ever eating chocolate in Battletech).

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I dunno, peanut-butter and chocolate flavored soda pop might be frat-boy enough for him without booze. I mean, it's like a fizzy, liquid Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

If you have to ask, the answer is yes.

v v v Well played, Affi, well played.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 28, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Is breathable air lostech? :smug:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Probably not, but they would be heavily controlled by ComStar since I'm fairly certain Chocolate was never exported (I don't recall anyone ever eating chocolate in Battletech).

I thought "stuff that only ComStar has" was the definition of LosTech? :)

But, those bastards. Withholding chocolate from the human race? That's unforgivable.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I thought "stuff that only ComStar has" was the definition of LosTech? :)

But, those bastards. Withholding chocolate from the human race? That's unforgivable.

And now you understand why Romano Liao is such a bitch.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I dunno, chocolate seems like an effective means of acquiring followers. The vision of Jerome Blake is a chocolate filled utopia? Sign me up.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

I dunno, chocolate seems like an effective means of acquiring followers. The vision of Jerome Blake is a chocolate filled utopia? Sign me up.

...So Blake is actually Willy Wonka?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only vegemite.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

And now you understand why Romano Liao is such a bitch.

I don't even like chocolate all that much. And yet, yes, yes I do.

Slaan posted:

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only vegemite.

:gonk:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Marmite, however?

Clan secret. Held in perpetuity by clan Tasteless Marmot and defended against all Trials of Possession. Not that there have been many challengers...

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Affi posted:

A guy can make more than one choice. He also chooses to mix it with space Baileys.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

It would probably be more effective to distribute it widely though. Then you have something to deny the masses if they get unruly. :pseudo:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

Now that's a rebellion I can get behind.

Pissy "But lostech is ooooouuuurrrrrssssssss" not so much.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mechs can pretty much just walk right through light buildings (with a piloting check I believe). That is also the best way to mug an opponent mech, when the opposing mech pilot hasn't been thinking of the surrounding buildings as being dispensable.

You waltz right through a building, bursting out the other side in a shower of glass and wood timbers, and gank the bitch with a punch to the neck.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Leperflesh posted:

Mechs can pretty much just walk right through light buildings (with a piloting check I believe). That is also the best way to mug an opponent mech, when the opposing mech pilot hasn't been thinking of the surrounding buildings as being dispensable.

You waltz right through a building, bursting out the other side in a shower of glass and wood timbers, and gank the bitch with a punch to the neck.

This is true and good fun, until you fall on your head in a subbasement.

Buildings are pretty good ablative armor, too, basically making you immune to SRMs. Just don't linger too long, or you'll be wearing a 10-story concrete hat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dammit, how did I miss this thread for so long?! I must be stupid.

But, stupid or not, I'd like to append myself to the end of the Pilot list...I even just went platinum to get PM enabled for this.

Sign me up, boss!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 28, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Keep in mind that you can park next to something and kick it while you shoot at something else. Kicking buildings is an automatic hit, so you don't have to worry about botching the roll to hit and having to roll a PSR, falling over, and having your leg shear off.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

Kicking buildings is an automatic hit, so you don't have to worry about botching the roll to hit and having to roll a PSR, falling over, and having your leg shear off.

Yeah, like that'd ever happen. :rolleyes:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

AtomikKrab posted:

those tanks of delicious alcohol are quite near a residential building.

I dunno, if I'm reading the map right, that residential building south west of the tanks filled with gas or alcohol or what have you is a Heavy (Hardened?) building. It could probably tank the explosion of the tanks with no problem, even if they were filled with explosive goodness and caused a chain reaction. There still might be some damage, but it wouldn't bring the building down... I hope... Hell, vape it anyway.

If you could lure the enemy forces in among the tanks, that would be cool, but I'm guessing that would take too long. Still, lurking behind Light buildings in pull a Kool Aid Man when enemy forces get too close would be killing two birds with one stone, as it would count the property damage and the damage to enemy forces...

As for ComStar withholding chocolate from the rest of humanity, it seems totally in character for what I know of them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wait, wait. Comstar's "economy class" data transmission network is the jumpship pony express?

That is stupid. And kind of awesome.

Not stupid at all, actually. Happens in the real world all the time now that we have sufficiently dense data storage.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mary Annette posted:

Yeah, like that'd ever happen. :rolleyes:

I'm still laughing that it happened to Rick Hunter of all people. Too bad his name wasn't Max Sterling. :colbert:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

You know, at this point I think that the suspiciously enticing circular buildings are either grain silos or greenhouses, or something else spectacularly non-explosive.

Unless of course vertical grain storage is lostech.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Glazius posted:

Not stupid at all, actually. Happens in the real world all the time now that we have sufficiently dense data storage.

It's how Netflix was devised if I recall correctly: trucks on the road have amazing bandwidth when they are carrying small, light DVDs.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Octatonic posted:

You know, at this point I think that the suspiciously enticing circular buildings are either grain silos or greenhouses, or something else spectacularly non-explosive.

What few silos remain are carefully maintained and subject to special rules in combat. You can destroy the grain chute and any silage forks, but damaging the structure proper is akin to using nuclear weapons.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Chronojam posted:

It's how Netflix was devised if I recall correctly: trucks on the road have amazing bandwidth when they are carrying small, light DVDs.

But the ping is HORRIBLE

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Octatonic posted:

Grain silos are actually spectacularly explosive. Here's the small scale.

I really, really would love to see the Mythbusters test this one. But yeah, grain silos? They're not nice, inert targets. They will go capital-b Boom

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I really, really would love to see the Mythbusters test this one. But yeah, grain silos? They're not nice, inert targets. They will go capital-b Boom

Oh my god. Those exploding barrels in all of those stupid FPS games placed haphazardly.... they were filled with GRAIN?!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

We're gonna need a bigger Catapult...

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Oh man, a bunch of light mechs destroying buildings in a city, on a timer? Now all we need is a wandering nuclear missile carrier.

Seriously, go to town here. It's probably worth conserving some ammunition, considering, and using the buildings you actually want destroyed as cover. Buildings can work as cover, right?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Seriously, go to town here. It's probably worth conserving some ammunition, considering, and using the buildings you actually want destroyed as cover. Buildings can work as cover, right?

Technically, yes. If I remember correctly though, there is a 1/6 chance of you being headshotted (rather than the usual 1/36) when you are in partial cover, so it can be a risky decision.

v v v Ah, I see. Thanks for correcting, I don't have access to the Total Warfare or Tac Ops books/pdfs (whichever books are needed) and I don't feel like spending a lot of money for the pdfs.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

It was that way. 50% cover would give you, well, a 50% chance to be missed, but any shots that didn't miss hit the punch table. I think now, how it works, is that attacks are rolled as normal, but attacks that roll the legs are negated.

Still, that's "standing behind" cover. If you walk into the building, it acts like ablative armor.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Still, that's "standing behind" cover. If you walk into the building, it acts like ablative armor.

Until it collapses. Probably worth it if anything bigger shows up, especially for the Commando. Don't bother with Light buildings though. That triangular Heavy building around 0415 would be ideal, but it will kill you if it collapses on you. It tracks by hex, though, so you can just back out after it absorbs some fire and plow into a different part of the same building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The fewer floors,the better, for ablative buildings.

• Locked thread