Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
When I was clerking, I always wanted to institute a measurement rule for MSJs. If your motion, brief, and accompanying exhibits are more than yay big, there's a question of material fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Litany posted:

Since when was New Haven farther north than Ithaca?

North in the rankings.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Warszawa posted:

Pretty sure Yale is like Winterfell, sorry guy - farther north
I just forwarded this to the YLS admissions office and they rescinded your spot, sorry

Hippokleides
Mar 20, 2011

by Ozma

The Warszawa posted:

North in the rankings.

Yes, well up north in tttoilet territory. Keeping Camford and Juke company. :smugdog:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Dear people who write motions: please refrain from calling the other side "absurd" in your pleadings. You are both represented by, like, eight law firms which you are paying a fortune for. Trust me, they've managed to not sound absurd in their complaint. If anyone is absurd, it's you with your dumb 50 page motion to dismiss that has a 0% chance of succeeding.
I've done this once but the prosecution wanted to make my client register as sex offender despite not having been convicted of a sex offense. That was absurd.
(I won)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Linguica posted:

I just forwarded this to the YLS admissions office and they rescinded your spot, sorry

Lol look at this scrub thinking that substantive knowledge is a requirement here.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Is there a legitimate legal job site? Or is everything conducted through headhunters?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

CaptainScraps posted:

Is there a legitimate legal job site? Or is everything conducted through headhunters?

[insert link to craigslist adult personals here.]

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
In re today:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

hes actually a justice. hth

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Of my many adventures into legal employment, two positions came from the craigslist\legal services category, and two positions came from my school's job board.

My two craigslist jobs?

The first one was a plaintiff-side employment discrimination lawyer, who was probably in his 50s. He had one associate who was fresh out of law school, and the office was in the English basement of the lawyer's row house here in DC. His basement was a nasty mess - files piled everywhere, including the (non-working) bathtub in the bathroom, there were about four working lights so there area was very cave-like, and his office had papers stacked loving everywhere, many of them covered in a layer of dust. I once spent three days going through a pile of papers that had been left on my desk - some of them were utility bills for the office that had never been opened and were over two years old. While cleaning I pulled apart some pages stuck together, and a ton of baby spiders flooded out - the pages had been stuck together by a spider's nest, and I had inadvertently opened the nest.

The partner's girlfriend, a 30-something crack prostitute (I am not kidding, she and he used to do drugs upstairs, and she freely admitted to working the streets in her younger days), was incredibly violent. Also, she used to hide in the office sometimes because the cops were looking for - she'd hide under the partner's desk, and one time she crawled into the bottom cupboards of the kitchen. I wasn't there for the latter one, but the associate told me about it.

The two of them would get into screaming matches, sometimes in the office, sometimes in the house above. The associate and I would frequently look at each other: "do you think we should do something?" One time they got into a fight in his old-rear end 1980s porsche, and she tore off the rear view mirror and hit him with it - he came in to the office holding it in his hand after jumping out of the car and running inside. He sat on his beaten up black leather couch and was real quiet for the rest of the day.

The icing on this domestic violence poo poo-cake was the final incident while I was there, where they were arguing about a used condom that she found under his bed - during the fight, she picked up a heavy glass candle-holder and chucked it at his head. He had to go the hospital for stitches that day. The associate took him.

When he got back from the hospital, I went into his office and told him that I couldn't work in that environment. My exact words were "I can't work in an environment like this, and you shouldn't have to live like this. I really hope you get your poo poo worked out."

I will also mention that the office computers were old old old, and one time I had to go on the partner's computer to find a client file for the associate. In the documents folder I found a text file containing pedo erotica - I didn't read the whole story, once I saw the words "older camp counselor" and "young boy" followed by some unnecessary physical descriptions, I basically freaked out and left for the day.

I have good stories from my second craigslist job but I'll only post it if you guys want, this post is kinda long as it is.

My second craigslist job also involved a crazy person basically, so uh, don't get legal jobs off craigslist I guess.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Petey posted:

In re today:

Is there a class action anywhere that this ruling does not extinguish? Who brings a class action against a party that doesn't use a contract?

I'm not an expert by any means, but every single class action I've ever heard of involves at least one contract. A sales contract, or a lease, or a service contract, something. Every single contract ever has "you must arbitrate" in it. Now, every single contract ever will therefore preclude every class action ever. At least, from now on it sure as hell will.

Hilariously terrible, in every imaginable way.

You bring an employment class action: "sorry your employment contract says no class actions." Hell you bring a stockholder derivative class action: "sorry your purchase contract says no class action, please arbitrate with us over your $0.10 in stock depreciation." Every lemon class action: "sorry your vehicle purchase contract says no class actions, please arbitrate with Ford over that single faulty spark plug."

BigHead fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 27, 2011

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

entris posted:

Gonna quibble with this.

Finding a job vs. not finding a job is not 50/50 universally - his chances may approach 50/50 when the time horizon is 10 years, but what are his chances for the next six months? Also, does "job" = "legal job" or just any job, because that changes the probabilities.

She could stay with him and he still dies in a gutter, unemployed and broken.

ugh this is what I get for making a poker joke

on the other hand, you were either gonna get it or you weren't

Kissy Suzuki
Mar 27, 2011

No honeymoon. This is business.
I just completely tanked a tax exam and I barely care, give me my C and let me get the gently caress out of this dump

Hippokleides
Mar 20, 2011

by Ozma

Linguica posted:

hes actually a justice. hth

:drat:

Don't you know the poor boy lacks a legal education?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Yeah, we knew the job market here was terrible, but seriously, Houston was crushing our souls.

Is there any point to applying to the city listings in Austin? Has anyone EVER gotten a response?

As far as our marriage goes, it's rock solid. We've been together since I was 14 and he was 15, and were married quite a while before law school came into the picture. Are these years dark? Yes, these years are very dark. But, he loves the law and this is what he wanted to do and so I support him, and I know he would support me too.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Litany posted:

Since when was New Haven farther north than Ithaca?

drat it, I wanted to post this http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...ie=UTF8&t=h&z=8

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

BigHead posted:

Is there a class action anywhere that this ruling does not extinguish? Who brings a class action against a party that doesn't use a contract?

I actually just thought about this today. A firm is filing a class action suit over the enormous data breach at Sony. I saw that headline just after this one.

Oh, well.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

RheaConfused posted:

Wow, this was not the place to come after yet another fruitless night of searching for jobs for my husband. :negative:

With that kind of go-getter attitude I'm amazed he hasn't found a job yet!

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Stunt Rock posted:

With that kind of go-getter attitude I'm amazed he hasn't found a job yet!

I'm not really sure what you are getting at here. I never said he doesn't look as well. We both look, constantly.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Has he tried applying to volunteer with the AG yet? We take bunches of interns / volunteers, especially during the summer.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

TheBestDeception posted:

Has he tried applying to volunteer with the AG yet? We take bunches of interns / volunteers, especially during the summer.

Speaking from personal experience, AG's office can be fun work too, depending on what division you get put in.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

TheBestDeception posted:

No, he applied for some openings but never heard back. It sounds like a good way to get experience.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009
I thought the T14 was so named because those are the only 14 schools that have been ranked in the top 14 since USNews started using its current wank rear end ranking system. That is still true. Therefore, GULC is still T14, and Texas is not T14 despite its current ranking. That's my take on this important subject.

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

entris posted:

Ok nvm, Austin is clearly an inferior school:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/04/25/texas_house_votes_to_require_colleges_with_sexuality_centers_to_promote_traditional_values_too

Seriously, gently caress that guy. Gay people don't merely "consider themselves homosexuals" - they don't need any encouragement to do that, they don't get a choice. God drat I hate Texas.

A little late here, but I knew this kid in High School. Seeing his updates on facebook is infuriating a majority of the time. And yet, he's at a better school and will probably do better in life. poo poo.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

cendien posted:

A little late here, but I knew this kid in High School. Seeing his updates on facebook is infuriating a majority of the time. And yet, he's at a better school and will probably do better in life. poo poo.

He'll lose in life eventually when he's arrested for soliciting a teenage boy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

entris posted:

I have good stories from my second craigslist job but I'll only post it if you guys want, this post is kinda long as it is.

Are you kidding? Do you really think you can post

quote:

While cleaning I pulled apart some pages stuck together, and a ton of baby spiders flooded out

and not tell us the other stories?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

President Obama had to get a special exception in order to receive his long form birth certificate and release it to the media. That sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

He should have bought a PS3.

(Not relevant to the thread, I realize, but I also figured the people here are most likely to understand my weltschmerz.)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are you kidding? Do you really think you can post

and not tell us the other stories?

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: I pulled apart some pages stuck together, and a ton of baby spiders flooded out--the pages had been stuck together by a spider's nest, and I had inadvertently opened it.

I know it's too long so it could just be the first part.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Alaemon posted:

President Obama had to get a special exception in order to receive his long form birth certificate and release it to the media. That sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

He should have bought a PS3.

(Not relevant to the thread, I realize, but I also figured the people here are most likely to understand my weltschmerz.)

I lolled

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?
God dammit, this thread spilled over into Football Funhouse. People ought to be ashamed of themselves. How many threads do we need to discuss Alex Kozinski's relentless self promotion?

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 28, 2011

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Gov. Rick Perry floated the notion in an offhand comment today as he began a speech honoring women in the state Legislature. After being introduced by actress and conservative activist Janine Turner, the governor talked about trying to convince Turner’s 13-year-old daughter, an aspiring lawyer, to enroll at A&M, his alma mater.
“By the time you get there, they will have a law school,” Perry predicted.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont..._texas-politics

So many things wrong here. 1) We already have too many schools not including the new UNT school. 2) How can you support tort reform yet think we need more lawyers.

I don't like Gov. Perry very much!

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC
Another T3 law school revenue generator for the state!
Load up on debt aspiring lawyers! It's the way of the world!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

So many things wrong here. 1) We already have too many schools not including the new UNT school. 2) How can you support tort reform yet think we need more lawyers.

I don't like Gov. Perry very much!

My new scheme is to try and get an article published so I can teach at UNT-Law.

TheBestDeception posted:

We should get beers sometime soon.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 28, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

MaximumBob posted:

God dammit, this thread spilled over into Football Funhouse. People ought to be ashamed of themselves. How many threads do we need to discuss Alex Kozinski's relentless self promotion?

All of them. All the threads.

I do enjoy seeing lawgoons pop up in unexpected places though.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I like when posters just throw down their JD like it's the basis for ultimate insight in any situation.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

One of the first things I learned getting my Law degree was that, when interpreting a law/rule you don't restrict yourself to the letter of the law, but also take into account its spirit, the intent of the person who created the rule, or you'll be prone to applying the rule incorrectly; meaning next time someone discusses the physical appearance of a character take a deep breath, think before you throw a fit and leave the overseeing of the thread for people who actually know what they're doing. I wasn't probated so obviously I didn't break any rules, and a stupid derail could have been avoided.

:thinkinglikealawyer:

Benefit of a $100K degree? Understanding how to approach spoiler-chat in TVIV.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > unsourced lawyerquotes.rtf

Yojimbo Sancho
Feb 1, 2007
I have no idea either...
I clerk at a small general practice (mostly crim/PI) firm. The other clerk (graduating 3L) has been in the hospital for 10+ days and my boss has been expecting him to keep working on his previously given assignments as well as new ones he's gotten via phone. Also he doesn't have anything lined up after graduation so he's staying on over the summer to do the same stuff I do making $12/hr.

And we are the lucky ones with jobs from our school.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BigHead posted:

buy me a sandwich

Three pages slow, but will do. I will pretty much go anywhere that I'd have a reasonable chance of practicing CRIMINAL LAW, and I like hiking and cold places. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sulecrist posted:

Three pages slow, but will do. I will pretty much go anywhere that I'd have a reasonable chance of practicing CRIMINAL LAW, and I like hiking and cold places. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

You might want to try Missouri Public Defender. It isn't cold and I don't know about hiking, but they seem to hire.
Downsides are low pay (30s), and you're in rural Missouri.