Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Here's another corporate shot, boring, but I like it.

Do you ever apply sharpening to your photos? It's hard to tell if you leave them as is or if it's more subtle.

Were you slightly above the subject in the first photo? It looks as if you're slightly off horizon and he's leaning back a bit unnaturally to compensate. I would probably clone out the reflection on the table and the outlet on the left side.

The second has a bit of a sliced head effect, which I usually don't care that much about but since it's such a tight composition it is a bit more pronounced.

I would consider adding a reflector camera left to give some fill.

These are all opinions though so feel free to ignore certain parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't sharpen the photos, it's all lightroom contrast/exposure/black levels. I rarely touch the clarity sliders.

You make some good points, I'm going to take out the electrical sockets. I'm not really seeing the leaning issue you mention though.

I thought the reflection would look cool, I'll take a stab at removing them, but I have a feeling I won't do so hot of a job.

I thought about adding a second light for fill, but in this case, I thought the shadow would help narrow his face more. His hair separates pretty well from the background, as does his shoulder. So I didn't think I would have to make him pop out anymore.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I don't sharpen the photos.

You don't sharpen them for your clients either, or...?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
No, it's not part of my normal workflow to sharpen the photos. Should I? Do they look like they are in need of it?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Doesn't Lightroom automatically add base sharpening?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Yeah, definitely. Lightroom has very solid, easy-to-use sharpening complete with masking. You should be slapped for not using it.

EDIT: it will do a little, but your base image is generally a little soft due to anti-aliasing filters in the sensor. It helps quite a bit, doubly so for print.

scottch fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 29, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Doesn't Lightroom automatically add base sharpening?

I've heard several times that basically any digital photo needs some amount of sharpening applied.

quote:

All digital images can benefit from some sharpening. Translating the continuous tones of the real world into a mosaic of square pixels will inevitably introduce some softness into an image. With digital captures, this is more noticeable with RAW files because cameras typically apply some amount of in-camera sharpening to JPEG captures but not to RAW captures.

http://layersmagazine.com/photoshop-output-sharpening.html

quote:

Digital photographs, by their very nature, appear somewhat soft focus. This is because as the picture comes off the sensor it's in a mosaic, sort of like the floor pictures found in Pompeii. The camera electronics interpolate this mosaic into a smooth picture, but sharp edges get a little blurred in the process. Some cameras sharpen the image as part of their software, and some cameras let you specify how much sharpening (if any) you want the camera to do, but usually as part of your processing you'll want to fine tune this process in your imaging program.

http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=4

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 29, 2011

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I've heard several times that basically any digital photo needs some amount of sharpening applied.

No. Many shots are fine, straight from camera, I find. Sharpening will help many, or most, photos, but I have plenty of sharp shots I've done zero sharpening on.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I think people sometimes get too obsessed with sharpening (and all sorts of other "proper" things too), and although sometimes it adds to have things tack sharp, sometimes softer is nicer, especially when we're talking about people. I used to sharpen out of a desire for "correctness", but now I rarely do.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Did a paid headshot for a friend of a friend yesterday who is an engineer/travel writer, we were both happy with how it turned out (although I quietly sperged out about the subtle reflection in the right lens of his glasses when I got home). He originally wanted a B&W shot, but I included the color and low-saturation ones with it and he liked those better. I'm definitely going to pick up a copy of Silver Efex Pro before I leave my university later in the summer though. I'm pretty much a babby at off-camera lighting and posed portrait shooting, how do you guys feel about it? I'm leaning towards competent but nothing special. I definitely want to get some more experience with this before I move, even if it's just shits and giggles stuff for friends.

I switched bags for my lighting equipment and left the head for my umbrella stand at home, but was able to improvise on-site with a briefcase on a shelf weighing down the umbrella :v:

Moist von Lipwig posted:

What would the lighting setup for a shot like this be like?

Haha, I know that shot (and that camera).

covet covet

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Here's another corporate shot, boring, but I like it.

The reflection could have been clever and interesting if it was "Apollo" reflected instead of "Press, Inc." As it stands currently it looks like an inadvertent mistake.

Also I'd clone out the light cover or whatever the cream-colored rectangle is on the left edge of the frame. I think it detracts from the otherwise very clean background.

Also also, not much you can do about it, but drat that dude's got some gnarly teeth!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Elemeno^P posted:

It was pretty good.

Flash Bus Review

I'm not a writer.

Thank ya sir.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

scottch posted:

Yeah, definitely. Lightroom has very solid, easy-to-use sharpening complete with masking. You should be slapped for not using it.

I am not fond of the manual LR sharpening tools; PIMM's high pass approach produces much nicer results. However, the Export / Print sharpening is very good IF you know your output device / resolution.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well looks like Digital Rev has shown me a budget way to get neat lighting effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6lNCSHH7Vg&feature=feedu

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Definitely do a bit of sharpening Skater, but only a little. Subtlety is the key. Read up about sharpening techniques. If you use it sparingly, you'll see a real difference.

Also, bravo on getting all these jobs - you seem to be getting quite a few.

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002
I decided to push away from what I know, and try something new. A hard light, athletics type look. Flew an umbrella up over my head, and had a softbox on the floor for fill. Couple other strobes thrown in for accent. Over processed for the hell of it. Not convinced I sold the look.

El Borracho by JoshuaVanHorsen, on Flickr

I really need some friends.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006

Elemeno^P posted:

A hard light, athletics type look. Flew an umbrella up over my head, and had a softbox on the floor for fill.

El Borracho by JoshuaVanHorsen, on Flickr

The second sentence may be why? If you want hard light why not just try hard light.

I do like the poncho though

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Elemeno^P posted:

I decided to push away from what I know, and try something new.

I know the dark look was what you were going for, but I think boosting the exposure 2/3 of a stop looks better.

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002

TiberiusM posted:

The second sentence may be why? If you want hard light why not just try hard light.

I do like the poncho though

Fair enough. I was shooting a grided strobe camera right for a hard rim, but at some point I must have stepped out of it.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I know the dark look was what you were going for, but I think boosting the exposure 2/3 of a stop looks better.

I agree. I was trying to rough it up, but I didn't mean for it to go muddy. I'll be sure to watch that.

Thanks for the comments!

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I bought a white screen and decided to test it out! I only had a 430ex and minor outdoor light. It was the first time I used this kind of setting (the stupid roll kept unrolling arrrrghhh!). I gotta say taking pictures of my little one is a harsh project, they don't stand in place. I couldn't snap a decent shot of my little man. He even tore my sheet down (fun time). My wife wanted a family picture before the 3rd kid is born. Help me get better and destroy my self esteem now.

J-YG by Portrait, on Flickr

J-YG by My truck bigger than yours, on Flickr

J-YG by Little Family, on Flickr

J-YG by Rock your Horse, on Flickr

J-YG by Blocks!, on Flickr

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Buy some gels for your flash, you have cool and warm light sources at once and if you can balance them it will look much better. Was the 430EX shot through anything or bare? You can get cheapo Hong Kong softboxes and umbrellas off eBay that will probably be a big help, too.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
The flash was shot with nothing on. Gels for the flash (are they filter?). I am very interested by what your saying. I am really novice in studio lightning and all. I really enjoyed it, I might take a class later on. Could you link me or give me a brand name for those hong kong cheapo stuff.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
You're underexposing as well. See how the background is appearing grey instead of white?

Also for a cleaner look, make sure subject has a distance between them and the background so that it doesn't throw shadows on it... or Terry Richardson this setting up and get naked.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Your camera meter wants to expose everything to neutral gray. So if you have a white background, it will tend to underexpose things to make that gray. Black backgrounds will make your camera over-expose for the same reason. Use manual mode or spot metering on the subject instead. Unless you have an albino or a black guy, in which case I have no suggestions for you. :(

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Spot meterng was the way to go and i forgot to change my setting. I should have over exposed by at least +1in evaluative mode. Also i did not check my histogram (noob mistake). I Will work with the distance of my subject with the background. I hope my next set get better!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Gray cards are cheap. Get one.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Niagalack posted:

The flash was shot with nothing on. Gels for the flash (are they filter?).
Gels are colored pieces of plastic/film allowing you to change the color of your lightsources. For example regular light bulbs are somewhat orange. Your 430EX is somewhat bluish. Now if you have light from a light bulb and from a flash in the same photo parts will be more orange and parts will be blue. That usually looks pretty bad. Your options are getting rid of one of the light sources or making sure they all have the same color. In your photoset you used a slow shutterspeed of 1/40- one option is increasing it to something faster so only the flash remains, the other is adding a CTO (color temperature orange) gel in front of your flash.

Here's something to get you started:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosco-Strobist-Collection-Lumiquest-Strobes/dp/B002SWD8LQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304378186&sr=8-2

Also, read this: http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-tutorial-part-1-gear-space/

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Awesome, I will be reading this tutorial. I didn't see lighting difference at first, but after looking closely, I saw the blueish light on the top left and the orange light on the right side.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006
Crosspost from the snapshot thread

My first portrait for a buddy of mine whos moving out of town

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
A set of senior portraits I did a while back. Critique appreciated!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
just chiming in to say I think all 3 are excellent.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's a minor nitpick, but her light hair somewhat blends into the background a bit in the first one. Nice shots, though.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
How's this?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
A couple of pictures of people looking down and to the right.

MrBlandAverage posted:

I think the first two work very well as senior portraits, but the third is problematic within that context; looking down on an uncertain subject does not project the exuberance and possibility generally desired for those shots. The first one is probably the safest choice for the final pick, though I would really like to see it with her entire head in the blown out light, because as TheAngryDrunk said, her hair melts into it, I think it would be a rather nice effect for the photo though.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Reichstag posted:

I think the first two work very well as senior portraits, but the third is problematic within that context; looking down on an uncertain subject does not project the exuberance and possibility generally desired for those shots. The first one is probably the safest choice for the final pick, though I would really like to see it with her entire head in the blown out light, because as TheAngryDrunk said, her hair melts into it, I think it would be a rather nice effect for the photo though.
I completely agree that not all of the pictures are very senior-portrait-like... but I definitely got a lot of pictures that I think work on a different level. The first picture is indeed the one that's getting printed out at 8x10 for the wall of senior photo/prom pictures.

Here's a few more.

Not sure how to make her hair pop out more from the trees in the background. Maybe some dodge/burn?

Reminded me of Saoirse Ronan and a particular shot from The Lovely Bones:

Not much of a senior portrait, but I liked it on its own merits:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

MrBlandAverage posted:

Reminded me of Saoirse Ronan and a particular shot from The Lovely Bones:

What are you using/Are you lighting these? That light is so soft!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

XTimmy posted:

What are you using/Are you lighting these? That light is so soft!
It's natural light and (except for the first of each group of three) alt lenses with fringing wide open. I do at least need to invest in a reflector, though.

edit: Also a little bit of post. Slight vignette effect on the one you quoted, for example.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 11, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
My little man getting ready for a shoot:

IMG_0421.jpg by www.ShootJoeC.com, on Flickr

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Took this of my cousin the other day.
Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

^ I would really like to get a good look at those eyes!