Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Petey posted:

All of them. All the threads.

I do enjoy seeing lawgoons pop up in unexpected places though.

Hey Petes, what was the process like for shopping an article around to law reviews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
Don't worry lawgoons there is always high stakes children's dolls law to specialize in.
http://patentlawip.blogspot.com/2011/04/bratzs-copyright-infringement-trial.html

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

That's just IP law. Copyright and trade secrets. Not doll law. Keep dreaming.

Biglaw anyways.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

CaptainScraps posted:

Hey Petes, what was the process like for shopping an article around to law reviews?

Well, considering I was unsuccessful, I may not be the best person to ask. However, all of the profs I spoke with said basically there are two routes:

1) if you school has an account with expressO, then you can just hit every single law review with your article
2) if you're paying for it and have it be more circumspect, use the law journal rankings at http://lawlib.wlu.edu/lj/ to figure out which place might publish your stuff, where it is ranked, and where you should hit

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho

nm posted:

You might want to try Missouri Public Defender. It isn't cold and I don't know about hiking, but they seem to hire.
Downsides are low pay (30s), and you're in rural Missouri.

Dude rural missouri owns. Everything is cheap and it is basically like the movie Winter's Bone all the time.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Beautiful Flower posted:

Dude rural missouri owns. Everything is cheap and it is basically like the movie Winter's Bone all the time.

Not to mention you go to ol' Whiskey Willies and talk to the mountain women about how you're big educated city-slicker law-talkin' man. Like shootin' fish in the proverbial barrel.

:bustem:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

Petey posted:

Well, considering I was unsuccessful, I may not be the best person to ask. However, all of the profs I spoke with said basically there are two routes:

1) if you school has an account with expressO, then you can just hit every single law review with your article
2) if you're paying for it and have it be more circumspect, use the law journal rankings at http://lawlib.wlu.edu/lj/ to figure out which place might publish your stuff, where it is ranked, and where you should hit
Petey's advice is good. If you haven't published before, I'd add that it's a good idea to spam the article to as many journals as possible, even if you are paying for it. Imagine that you have a 1% shot on average of a journal picking up your article. Sending your article to 100 journals might cost the same as buying a casebook, but it's a much better investment.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Ersatz posted:

Petey's advice is good. If you haven't published before, I'd add that it's a good idea to spam the article to as many journals as possible, even if you are paying for it. Imagine that you have a 1% shot on average of a journal picking up your article. Sending your article to 100 journals might cost the same as buying a casebook, but it's a much better investment.

I'm the chief submissions editor for a secondary journal. I'll add that while spamming is good, if you aren't on topic to what the journal is about, I don't give you any real consideration. Also try to find journals that say on their website that they're open to student comments - it's hard enough getting published while still in school as any decent journal will be trying to get professors with a solid CV and not a rising 3L looking for that extra gold star, but some journals (and I'm not saying if mine is one or not) simply shut the door completely. It makes for a waste of time and money. You can often find out if it's worth it at all through their site.

E: I'm gearing up to send work off myself if you want to pull resources. BTW, be thinking about submitting in late July/early August because that's when a lot of journals start to make the bulk of their offers. Most profs know to submit in early August since that's usually when whoever works selection gets back to it, but strategically it might be better to do late July and get an earlier offer before the rush. That's what I've been told by profs around here and what I'll be doing anyway.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 29, 2011

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
The local law society is hosting some event called "Rockin' the Courthouse: Lawyers Rock for Lawyers Feed the Hungry"

Bands include The Margins, Tortious Conduct, The Soul Practitioner, Hung Jury, the Loopholes, and Motion Denied.

I thought this poo poo died after 1L :pwn:

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The local law society is hosting some event called "Rockin' the Courthouse: Lawyers Rock for Lawyers Feed the Hungry"

Bands include The Margins, Tortious Conduct, The Soul Practitioner, Hung Jury, the Loopholes, and Motion Denied.

So Law students are holding a benefit to feed law graduates?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Having met a range of practitioners, I think it's safe to say that lawyers are generally the same people they were as 1Ls. Some are incredibly socially awkward (I'm looking at you, tax lawyers), some are total smarmy sleazeballs, some are raging assholes, some are still pursuing their writer/actor/singer dreams on the side, and some are just normal folks.

Basically, take a look around you at the people you have met in law school. These are the same personalities that you will be working with for the rest of your life.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Ersatz posted:

Start with cash-money writing contests if there are any that relate to your topic. Doing this allowed my article to be published in the Food & Drug Law Journal and net $4k.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

My favorite is still Learned Band.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Two quotes from a recent RSS feed about business development.

quote:

One of my friends, Patrick Reso, an estate planning attorney in Hammond, Louisiana, put it in economic terms:

“I think my tie easily adds a good $50 - $75 to my hourly rate. I wear a tie every business day and I am fortunate to make significantly more money than many lawyers I know who do not wear a tie every day. Is there a correlation? Yes. I also develop (originate) significantly more business that these same tie-less lawyers develop each year (I will leave the women out of this as I do not run across many women attorneys who do not dress professionally).”

/

quote:

One of our young lawyers, Slattery Johnson, is a third generation lawyer. In the earlier series, Slattery shared some of the tradition handed down in his distinguished and talented family:

“I for one am definitely a proponent of a general movement in society towards sharper dress. . . . There's another aspect to this though . . . I think sharper dress also has an effect, albeit an indirect one, on the mentality of the individual beneath the clothes. Sharper dress indirectly leads to a heightened sense of awareness and a heightened level of confidence, all of which lead to better decision-making.

“As you may know my Uncle Alston Johnson is a partner at Phelps Dunbar [a prestigious New Orleans-based law firm]. My dad [Bernard Johnson, a senior partner at Cook Yancey here in Shreveport], brothers and myself used to often go down to Baton Rouge Friday evenings in the fall to stay at Alston's house in anticipation of the LSU game the following day. One of these Friday evenings Uncle Alston came in from work dressed as if he had just come off a runway somewhere. Having recently heard of the concept of ‘casual Friday,’ I asked my uncle why he chose not to participate in such a thing. I'll never forget his response...

“‘Slattery my boy, casual dress means casual thinking.’”
/

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I struggle with that issue a lot. On the one hand, I look much better in sharper dress and I do think people take me more seriously. On the other hand, I'm not the kind of person who naturally wears a suit every day, and I haven't the focus to put together a coherent wardrobe of snazzy clothes that I would need to assemble into a suit every morning.

I imagine that once I get a job with a place that requires sharp dress, I'll just get used to it.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Library Dean posted:

In recognition of your service to the Law Library as a Library Research Assistant , it is our custom to ask you to choose a book that we then place a special bookplate in noting your service. If you have a specific title that you would like us to acquire on your behalf, or a subject area from which you would like us to choose, please let me know.

What was that book we all ordered last year? The one from the early 1900s that talked about how women are crazy and how to cross examine idiots. "Hints on Being a Lawyer" or something like that?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

While I think it's a good idea to wear a suit when you are meeting clients (after all they pay you and get no tangible tactile benefit so you might as well make them think they are buying someone expensive) I think you have to be pretty stupid if your attire determines your thinking ability.

Suit of Knowledge +6 to westlaw

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

Obviously sharp dress makes a good lawyer.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I would definitely buy the Memory armor set:

The Elephant's Suit
Chest + Legs
Wearer can recall memories with 75% improved clarity and detail.

The Mentat's Necktie
Neck
Wearer can apply legal analysis 25% faster.

RAM Chip Cufflinks
Cuffs
Short-term memory capacity increased by 100%

The Digits of Pi Timepiece
Wrist
Memorization of numbers occurs instantly.

The Historian's Suspenders
Waist
Long-term memory capacity increased by 100%

The Boots of the Iliad and the Odyssey
Feet
Wearer can correctly recite the facts of any published opinion.

Set bonus: Wearer is granted photographic memory for all law-related materials.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

entris posted:

I would definitely buy the Memory armor set:
Ugh, I hate when patches introduce this new munchkin poo poo. Ever hear of balance???

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

What was that book we all ordered last year? The one from the early 1900s that talked about how women are crazy and how to cross examine idiots. "Hints on Being a Lawyer" or something like that?

Some hints on the trial of a lawsuit by Rolla R. Longenecker

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

This was just as funny the first time:

quote:

Here is a witness that requires the superskill of a trained cross-examiner to obtain results, for the average female witness is the most subtle, clever, enigma that was ever offered for analysis. Their motives for testifying are: ambition, interest, love, hate, jealousy, vindictiveness, rivalry, desire to be a sensation, anger, fear and many, many others.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Library Dean posted:

In recognition of your service to the Law Library as a Library Research Assistant , it is our custom to ask you to choose a book that we then place a special bookplate in noting your service. If you have a specific title that you would like us to acquire on your behalf, or a subject area from which you would like us to choose, please let me know.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Ok, it turns out I can pick non-law books too.

Suggestions?

Current ideas are:

http://www.amazon.com/Oh-Places-Youll-Dr-Seuss/dp/0679805273/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304109824&sr=8-1 (Credit to C0pernic)

http://www.amazon.com/Came-Part-Bunnyhead-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B0047DW7O8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (Credit to Mofaux)

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

HiddenReplaced posted:

Suggestions?

Current ideas are:

http://www.amazon.com/Oh-Places-Youll-Dr-Seuss/dp/0679805273/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304109824&sr=8-1 (Credit to C0pernic)

http://www.amazon.com/Came-Part-Bunnyhead-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B0047DW7O8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (Credit to Mofaux)

Power Rangers: The Movie: The Book

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-Storybook/dp/0812544544

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Is there a correlation? Yes.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

HiddenReplaced posted:

Suggestions?

Current ideas are:

There's no other choice but this.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Suggestions?

Current ideas are:

Serious answer: Homicide

cuz it rules

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Serious answer: Homicide

cuz it rules

But you're forgetting http://www.amazon.com/Corner-Year-Life-Inner-City-Neighborhood/dp/0767900316/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Some may also accept that BUT I WILL NOT

(inside jokes)

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

Suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-God-Warhammer-C-Werner/dp/1844166686/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304116560&sr=8-1

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

It can only be this book.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Who's ready to join me in the semiannual "let's quit drinking for two weeks so we can ace our finals" quest of futility?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Tokelau All Star posted:

Who's ready to join me in the semiannual "let's quit drinking for two weeks so we can ace our finals" quest of futility?

Two weeks? You must not be a 3L.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tokelau All Star posted:

I have two finals in a row starting in four days and I have four pages of vague outlining

I am ahead of where I expected to be

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

2L, anyone got any good resources/outlines for Federal Courts, Crim Pro, Trusts? I'd check Outline Depot but I need that twenty bucks to buy smokes for studying.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho
One final that I can take any time in the next week :slick:

E: and it's trusts and estates. Professor and I have the same name for our dogs. A- HERE I COME!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Song law chat:
As I was cleaning the kitchen, "I Fought The Law (And the Law Won)" came on and I happily sang along. Then I realized that I can't sing about fighting the law, because lawyers are part of the law. We possess the Jedi powers to change it, remake it as we see fit, how could we ever fight it? We are the law.

So, basically, once you pass the bar, you can't sing along to tgis song anymore. yet another awful consequence of law school, sorry. :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^
If you're a public defender you can. The law is stupid and petty (and still wins).

BigHead posted:

Two weeks? You must not be a 3L.
Wait, people quit drinking during finals during 3L year?
Hell, I got my best GPA ever 3rd year and I may not have even been sober during the finals.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^
If you're a public defender you can. The law is stupid and petty (and still wins).

Wait, people quit drinking during finals during 3L year?
Hell, I got my best GPA ever 3rd year and I may not have even been sober during the finals.

Yeah but is a 2.2 worth bragging about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

BigHead posted:

Dear people who write motions: please refrain from calling the other side "absurd" in your pleadings. You are both represented by, like, eight law firms which you are paying a fortune for. Trust me, they've managed to not sound absurd in their complaint. If anyone is absurd, it's you with your dumb 50 page motion to dismiss that has a 0% chance of succeeding.

Also, please do not try to convince the state trial court to overturn 80 years of U.S. Supreme Court precedent.

Good luck on this - this is the equivalent of asking gamers not to call every player but themselves "noob."