Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Chronojam posted:

They're somehow worse than the Nexus (all the arrogance perhaps)

That's probably because they're all so convinced that they're so much better modders than me. And maybe a few are. But boy, they certainly don't lack confidence, do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!
Okay, everybody's always going on about this combat overhaul or that combat overhaul, and I've been trying to find one that feels "right" since release. I do believe I've got a good recipe going here.

Near the bottom of my load order is where I keep these mods, the list is as follows.

RWD-Realistic Dismemberment 1.0.esp
XFO - 1ba - Dmg - Non-Var - 1x.esp
No Neos.esp
Bodypart Data Mod - Harsher Version.esp
XFO - 1aa - Accuracy Revamp - mild.esp

The most important mod here is Bodypart Data Mod. It edits the data for npc types in the game, so even new npcs from mods will have their stats rebalanced (except from mods such as Monster Mod where entirely new creatures are added, but I've been fending off those fuckers just fine)

The next is an optional side module from Realistic Weapon Damages. I wasn't a fan of the core module but this is nice for less limbs and stuff going everywhere.

Third on the actual damage list is one of the modules I'm running from XFO. It makes it so that everyone does the same damage with guns. Totally awesome when combined with the second module from them, the accuracy revamp. Instead of starting off rather accurate and having scaled damage, you start off wobbly but formidable until you can get your skills up. Much better.

The last is awesome as gently caress, a mod called No Neos. Enemies will no longer magically dodge bullets, thus making all other combat overhaul modules more effective.

So yeah, I've got this running on Normal with Hardcore and it's fuckin' wild.

Oh, and it's compatible with all custom weapons and armor.

So...yeah.

BrainGlitch fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 29, 2011

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Bodypart data looks good, although given the damage dropoff when not shooting the torso it'd be nice if they made it slightly easier to cripple limbs as a tradeoff.

---

Got a question for the people who use guns in NV (I generally use energy weapons)- I've got some code that can be used to turn any semi-auto weapon into a burst-fire one, but I can't really figure out how to apply it.

Currently I've got a single craftable burst-fire rifle, but that seems a tad limiting when the functionality could just as easily be applied by having craftable 'Burst' ammo or a 'Burst Mode' slotless apparel item you equip/unequip to toggle it you can get by taking a perk. No idea which one of those methods would be the best fit for how people actually want to play guns characters though, and what the best way is to filter out guns that are inappropriate for burst fire beyond 'No fully automatic weapons' and '2 hand automatic grip type' to filter out the bolt-actions.

Restricting it to a custom ammo of specific calibres (like, say, .556) or a whitelist of Burst-OK weapons runs into issues with mod-added ammo types and weapons, but allowing any ammo type to use it means burst-fire Sniper Rifles. I'm leaning towards any ammo type as it seems better to let people do stupid things than prevent them doing sensible stuff, but then that means using the slightly odd 'Burst Mode' apparel toggle.

E: Of course I could just be overthinking this, but I figure no point doing something if you're not going to do it properly. Up to a point, at least.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Talkie Toaster posted:

Bodypart data looks good, although given the damage dropoff when not shooting the torso it'd be nice if they made it slightly easier to cripple limbs as a tradeoff.

---

Got a question for the people who use guns in NV (I generally use energy weapons)- I've got some code that can be used to turn any semi-auto weapon into a burst-fire one, but I can't really figure out how to apply it.

Currently I've got a single craftable burst-fire rifle, but that seems a tad limiting when the functionality could just as easily be applied by having craftable 'Burst' ammo or a 'Burst Mode' slotless apparel item you equip/unequip to toggle it you can get by taking a perk. No idea which one of those methods would be the best fit for how people actually want to play guns characters though, and what the best way is to filter out guns that are inappropriate for burst fire beyond 'No fully automatic weapons' and '2 hand automatic grip type' to filter out the bolt-actions.

Restricting it to a custom ammo of specific calibres (like, say, .556) or a whitelist of Burst-OK weapons runs into issues with mod-added ammo types and weapons, but allowing any ammo type to use it means burst-fire Sniper Rifles. I'm leaning towards any ammo type as it seems better to let people do stupid things than prevent them doing sensible stuff, but then that means using the slightly odd 'Burst Mode' apparel toggle.

E: Of course I could just be overthinking this, but I figure no point doing something if you're not going to do it properly. Up to a point, at least.

Well, I'm not sure how the script works but if you can make it attach to something then it can work with fairly minimal work, I guess.

For example, say you were to do this for The Armory. We changed most of the automatic weapons to a toned down autotracer projectile type to reduce crashing, but you could make a sub-mod where you make a new custom projectile type - say autotracer2 as the name, but functionally the same as the stock one and assign that projectile type to all the weapons you want to have burst mode. Then the script looks for that autotracer2 projectile type and applies it to it. Then it doesn't matter what caliber it is or have incompatibilities with caliber type mods, and it's incredibly minimal work to ensure you're not doing anything silly like accidentally making a sniper rifle burst fire.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Naky posted:

That's basically a whitelist system- any weapon that has burst-fire has to be set beforehand to use autotracer2. If a mod adds a new weapon I've got to either come up with a filter to choose whether to set it to use autotracer2 (and I could just as easily not bother with the projectile change and decide if it's valid or not in the script when the player equips it), or just leave it burstless.
The script just tracks when the player fires, and fires 2 more shots- it can be stuck on an item, or a quest, or a weapon, the only complicated part of it is deciding whether or not the weapon equipped deserves those extra shots.

That said I've just discovered you can get the shots per second of a gun through NVSE, so putting a minimum shots/sec for burst mode to work is probably a good filter.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Talkie Toaster posted:

That said I've just discovered you can get the shots per second of a gun through NVSE, so putting a minimum shots/sec for burst mode to work is probably a good filter.

Yeah, that's probably best actually. The onus is on the modders afterwards to make sure their weapons fit the script and not the script to any specific mod kind of thing. We converted all of our sniper rifles to 2 hand automatic so we could increase the firing rate, but with that it would be on us to make sure that it's not that high so as to trigger the script.

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007
Answering every pregnancy with a Coathanger!
edit: Wrong thread... sorry!

HundredxNails fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 29, 2011

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

You might want to try out this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3357930

This thread is for modding the PC version.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hoodrich posted:

Has anyone tried this yet? I want to but I don't want to be the guinea pig.

I haven't yet. I don't even have FO3 installed at the moment.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

harrygomm posted:

I remember tweaking this so long ago, but now I can't seem to find it. I imagine it's in the FALLOUT.ini (or whatever the NV version is) but under which heading? I don't want to go changing that poo poo willy nilly and mess up the wrong one.

I loaded it up in Notepad, hit CTRL-F, and typed "thread." That's the only way I can find it. It is buried within a bunch of stuff.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 29, 2011

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

BrainGlitch posted:

The last is awesome as gently caress, a mod called No Neos. Enemies will no longer magically dodge bullets, thus making all other combat overhaul modules more effective.

Wait, this happens?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

white quilt posted:

Wait, this happens?
Some enemies will literally flash step away from you as you fire at them or approach them.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Woebin posted:

Molerat boobs came and went. They reached #2 on the Nexus before being removed.

Pretty sure Naky made them, click the question mark under one of his posts and you should be able to find a screenshot.

Oh man, that is a BEAUTIFUL thing.

Also, what's gone wrong with my skybox here?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Who wants Fallout 3 in their New Vegas game? I do, I do! http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41480 Morroblivion Mk2: Fallout V3gas.

Edit: That's what I get for not reading the thread's newer posts before posting. Doh!

ParagonParadox27 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 29, 2011

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't yet. I don't even have FO3 installed at the moment.

I'm playing it at the moment. It's working great so far -- feels awesome to be back in the Capital Wasteland. I actually deleted the BSA files after extracting them (and I didn't overwrite my ini file), and I don't seem to be running into any problems so far, so the requirement of needing "20 gigs" of space is only true insofar that you need that much space while you're installing it.

EDIT: you'll want to make sure not to overwrite any existing files, and even after you've done that, it's a good idea to remove meshes/textures that shouldn't be overwritten w/ their Fallout 3 counterparts, like heads/hairs.

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 29, 2011

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Talkie Toaster posted:

burst-fire Sniper Rifles
All of this post is pretty cool, but this made me think of the Bozar. Has anyone made a good version of that for New Vegas? I'd rather not trawl around the Nexus at work or I'd go looking for it. Possibly something for The Armory?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Woebin posted:

All of this post is pretty cool, but this made me think of the Bozar. Has anyone made a good version of that for New Vegas? I'd rather not trawl around the Nexus at work or I'd go looking for it. Possibly something for The Armory?

Check it out. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't use that goddamned lovely Barrett model like a lot of the Bozar mods seem to.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 29, 2011

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mister Bung posted:

Oh man, that is a BEAUTIFUL thing.

Also, what's gone wrong with my skybox here?

Looks like an obvious case of division by zero to me.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

lordfrikk posted:

Looks like an obvious case of division by zero to me.

Right, time for a trip up into the infinite then.

Which got me thinking, how come there aren't any rad-storm tornadoes in NV?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Well, if you didn't know before that TA isn't about being lore friendly or being totally realistic, then know that some of what we do is for fun too. So while Anime Schoolgirl is sick, we've been given permission to keep adding more content to the pack until he says stop. So this morning, I threw this together.

Mwaha.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Hey, Talkie, I never knew you were a Goon. I loved your mods for Oblivion.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Some enemies will literally flash step away from you as you fire at them or approach them.
I can't be sure I've ever seen this, or if I have I probably thought it was a bug and dismissed it as unimportant. Or is it a VATS thing?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Naky posted:

Well, if you didn't know before that TA isn't about being lore friendly or being totally realistic, then know that some of what we do is for fun too. So while Anime Schoolgirl is sick, we've been given permission to keep adding more content to the pack until he says stop. So this morning, I threw this together.

Mwaha.

is this robocops gun?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Gyshall posted:

is this robocops gun?

Nope, it's the one from Equilibrium.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It'd better have the proper muzzle flashes, Naky. :v:

too bad you can't give it a melee alt-fire, that'd be pretty awesome.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 29, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Psion posted:

It'd better have the proper muzzle flashes, Naky. :v:

too bad you can't give it a melee alt-fire, that'd be pretty awesome.

Why can't I? Someone hasn't seen what's in the past two builds. (Pistol whip style melee weapon)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I found this on the nexus. I thought I'd share it with you. It'd make a good wallpaper, no doubt.

flipstyle
Dec 10, 2003
Tastes like burning
whats the name of the mod that organizes and groups your inventory with "CRAFTING: <item>" or "FOOD: <item>" tags... I can't remember

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I found this on the nexus. I thought I'd share it with you. It'd make a good wallpaper, no doubt.

Nexus.jpg? Actually, the armor/backpack on the right looks like some sort of neat exoskeleton thing. Any idea what it is?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Nexus.jpg? Actually, the armor/backpack on the right looks like some sort of neat exoskeleton thing. Any idea what it is?

No idea what the suit is, but isn't the backpack a variant of the blackwolf packs?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Did something happen with Arenovalis to make him stop making his awesome weapon textures? There hasnt been an update since January. It's the best thing on the site but at the moment it just seems to restrict me to using a select few guns. I can't go back to the normal ones now!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Did something happen with Arenovalis to make him stop making his awesome weapon textures? There hasnt been an update since January. It's the best thing on the site but at the moment it just seems to restrict me to using a select few guns. I can't go back to the normal ones now!

I think it's because he's busy working on FOOKNV, though I'm sure Arenovalis himself will provide a better answer.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
If I'd have more energy I'd totally install every single lovely anime mod there is on the nexus and make a let's play runthrough with it. Even though I think it would be better with oblivion, seeing that that game is out a while longer and has more crappy anime mods.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Chronojam posted:

The armor looks like it's a conversion of this.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

flipstyle posted:

whats the name of the mod that organizes and groups your inventory with "CRAFTING: <item>" or "FOOD: <item>" tags... I can't remember

FOOKNV does that, though I'm not sure if that's what you were thinking of since it may have incorporated it from a separate Mod.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

flipstyle posted:

Inventory Sorters.

I thought this mod was in the op, but I didn't see it listed. I think it's a pretty useful feature.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Police Automaton posted:

If I'd have more energy I'd totally install every single lovely anime mod there is on the nexus and make a let's play runthrough with it. Even though I think it would be better with oblivion, seeing that that game is out a while longer and has more crappy anime mods.

They're making progress every day.

Just look at what someone just did to ED-E:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k0gQGYpLBc

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Hamburger Test posted:

They're making progress every day.

Just look at what someone just did to ED-E:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k0gQGYpLBc

That's... that's actually pretty neat. Though it has some rather severe quality issues.

Turning ED-E into a "hot, sexy, tail-kickin' female companion" is far more reprehensible.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there any estimated time until Project Nevada actually resembles FWE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Offkorn posted:

That's... that's actually pretty neat. Though it has some rather severe quality issues.

Turning ED-E into a "hot, sexy, tail-kickin' female companion" is far more reprehensible.

Sure it is. It's not very anime though and would add more creepiness than comedy to a let's play.

Edit:
Looks like the author or uploader is behind most of the anime stuff, like anime child bathing suit armor with bouncing breasts.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 30, 2011