Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

ZanderZ posted:

I can't believe I don't remember, but did you have the option to use the mouse in the original? Or did you have to use the arrow keys to rotate your guy and shoot with the space bar? I'm pretty sure you couldn't use the mouse.

I feel like they should do a re-vamp of the original. Not in place of another sequel, but something cheap to tide us all over.

Have the left stick move/strafe and have the right stick rotate the player.

You guys get what I'm sayin, right?

In GTA2 it's rotate and shoot, no mouse at all. Trying to get into it again was pretty tough, but still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Explosions sending people flying into the air in GTA2 is the best thing.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Discount Viscount posted:

Explosions sending people flying into the air in GTA2 is the best thing.

The gang colours was my favourite bit. Being able to identify someone as part of a gang in a top-down game was quite an achievement at the time :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

teethgrinder posted:

Smashing Pumpkins are classic rock by modern standards ;)

I don't see why Sisters of Mercy can't be classic rock either. The Cult are. Yeah it's a little gothy, but it's an awesome song. It's still predominantly guitar anyway, and more "rock" than most alternative in the era.

Thanks for making me feel old. :smith:

But really my point was more that I hope for a dedicated Classic Alternative station. It's probably a bit much to hope for an 80s goth/industrial station (well, maybe not, Nitzer Ebb is in IV and they're more obscure than, say, Front 242 or Bauhaus, and you could certainly shoehorn NIN in since Pretty Hate Machine came out in '89, throw some Skinny Puppy on there, Joy Division, New Order...)

I care way too much about music in these games. To the extent that I'd never use a "custom soundtrack" feature because I like the realism of being forced to find a good song on one of the stations or just deal with it. It doesn't hurt that R* has almost never used a song that I actually dislike, with some of the more questionable LCHC choices being the big glaring exception. Really, why do I need to hear Cannibal Corpse immediately after a Bad Brains song? :gonk:

edit: SISTERS OF MERCY STORY TIME! In the mid-late-90s, they did a "reunion" show (even though they never broke up) in Philadelphia. They covered "Comfortably Numb" and were practically boo'd off the stage. gently caress narrow-minded goths.

precision fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 27, 2011

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Well, I ran over my first person last night. After much effort to not run anyone over, I was involved in a chase mission and ended up laying waste to a bum crouching on the sidewalk trying to make a sharp turn in a taxi.

Niko even commented "This rear end in a top hat made me run someone over!" - I have no idea if he does this often as it was my first. I like to think the game knows I'm trying hard not to hurt innocent people.

As for music stations, I've setup Independence FM to act as a modern alternative station that doesn't have songs newer than April 2008. I've also included a few choice "gimmick" songs from the time period along side 90s-hits that just wont die (even today).

I successfully feel like I've traveled back in time to pre-recession days.

Still feel bad about that guy I ran over. :(

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

Well, I ran over my first person last night. After much effort to not run anyone over, I was involved in a chase mission and ended up laying waste to a bum crouching on the sidewalk trying to make a sharp turn in a taxi.

If you're not driving on the sidewalk running over everybody in an attempt to bypass the annoying traffic in order to get where you need to go, then you are doing it wrong. :colbert:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Starhawk64 posted:

If you're not driving on the sidewalk running over everybody in an attempt to bypass the annoying traffic in order to get where you need to go, then you are doing it wrong. :colbert:

You have the cinematic camera on, in slowmo as you do this.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Starhawk64 posted:

If you honestly can't swerve around the traffic at high-speed and need to resort to driving on the sidewalk to get anywhere then you are doing it wrong.

If I hit somebody, I do it because it's funny (or because I'm pissed off after failing a mission), not because I'm trying to avoid traffic.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

There are so many people to avoid too, because I installed that mod that adds more cars/pedestrians.

Edit: Next stop: zero friction.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Sometimes I try to run over as many people as I can.

Then, after I get Wasted, I like to run into the hospital and kill everyone inside, then the cops after they show up.

After the cops Waste me, I like to run into the hospital and kill everyone again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I have to admit, going into the hospital with a pump shotgun feels so wrong and yet so right. I like to pretend that some of the people inside are the aliens from They Live, and I'm giving them a warning. I walk in casually, cock my shotgun and deliver my bad-rear end one-liner. Anyone who gets in my way gets mowed down. Any innocents killed are just collateral damage, acceptable losses in the war against alien bastards.

I have come here to chew bubblegum, and kick rear end. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I like walking in to the Times Square Cluckin Bell and starting a rampage. If you cover next to the door it creates a great choke point as cops start coming. Plus blind firing the RPG into the street creates huge chain reactions.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

So I'm curious about modding the game further. I would like to add cars to the game, but I've run into several road-blocks (terrible pun):

1. Tutorials online are written for different versions of the game.
2. Some places say that you can only install 28 cars while others show 100+.
3. Readme files in the downloaded folders are often in other languages, such as Russian or Polish.

I really just need a little direction. Maybe I'm missing a good tutorial or what I'm reading is out of date. Any help, goons?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tewratomeh posted:

I have to admit, going into the hospital with a pump shotgun feels so wrong and yet so right.

...you can go inside the hospital?!

Why did I never try that!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

precision posted:

There is a storyline mission to do just that, guess you never beat the game. (Or just forgot, I tend to forget details like that myself)

One thing I dislike about BoGT is that you can't enter Bahama Mama's after the mission or before the mission involving it; teleporting in with the native trainer has the club being empty even during nights. :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

ExtraNoise posted:

There are so many people to avoid too, because I installed that mod that adds more cars/pedestrians.

Is there a mod that adds more peds? I doubt my PC would like more traffic :v:

ExtraNoise posted:

So I'm curious about modding the game further. I would like to add cars to the game, but I've run into several road-blocks (terrible pun):

1. Tutorials online are written for different versions of the game.
2. Some places say that you can only install 28 cars while others show 100+.
3. Readme files in the downloaded folders are often in other languages, such as Russian or Polish.

I really just need a little direction. Maybe I'm missing a good tutorial or what I'm reading is out of date. Any help, goons?

What version of the game are you running? For my Steam copy it's:

1) Get car I want, usually from http://www.gta4-mods.com/
2) Extract into it's own folder (D:\Games\GTA4 Mods\Cars for example)
2a) You may need to run a program to _force_ all the files in your GTA4 install to be writable. Sometimes just right clicking on a folder and changing the properties won't take. You can find those programs on gta4-mods.
3) Load SparkIV
4) Point it to my vehicles.img file in GTAIV\pc\models\cdimages
5) Export the vehicle texture and model file I'm going to replace for safe keeping
6) Import the downloaded one, renaming if necessary
7) Rebuild archive
8) Save archive
9) Plug handling, carcols, and vehicles.ide data from readme into their respective files
10) Launch game, spawn car, hold onto butt

An example would be:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/vehicles/1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-454-f7963

This has an archive with chevelle.wft and chevelle.wtx in it. The vehicles.img file can only accept file names that already exist within it, so I renamed them to sabregt.wft and sabregt.wtx. My GTA4 install has 30+ cars now, and TLAD and Gay Tony have slightly fewer.

E:

If you want to add multiple cars, you have to rebuild/save in SparkIV, close it, and repeat the process for each car you add. It gets bitchy when you do more than one car at once.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 28, 2011

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

New favourite GTA pastime: Going to an area with a lot of traffic and using the Simple Native Trainer to spawn at least ten combat peds armed with grenades. Even better with a mod that increases explosive force.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

New favourite GTA pastime: Going to an area with a lot of traffic and using the Simple Native Trainer to spawn at least ten combat peds armed with grenades. Even better with a mod that increases explosive force.

One of my favourite pastimes is just to set nearest ped on fire :D It works well with the "More Liberty" mod. You can just sit on a busy street and burn them...

Man I have issues!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah, that blew my mind when I was watching some stream on Justin.TV, a little after the game came out. The guy playing drove a motorcycle around in the hospital, and that was the first time in a GTA game that I know of where you could bring a vehicle straight into a building with you.

Or did Vice City let you do that? I haven't played it in about 7 years.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
First time I played GTA4, as nerdy as it is to admit, I actually felt squeemish killing these people. They'd crawl on the ground in AGONY and had realistic animations. I did a hospital shoot out and holy poo poo, I felt terrible.

But then I realized it was a game and came back for me! :clint:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Glad to see there are some others who play GTA like me. I purposefully avoid trying to hit pedestrians as much as possible, although if they get hit, I don't have any remorse, they just had the misfortune getting in my way.

Even when I jack cars, I do it by jumping infront of the car and pointing my gun at the driver. They usually put their hands up in surrender, leave the car and run away. If they try to drive off, only then do I violently throw them out the door.

The worst is cops. I tend to avoid shooting them wherever possible. They're just doing their job, and some crazy gun happy loonatic is constantly blowing their city half to poo poo.

Oddly enough, when I play with friends this pussy behavior completely disappears. There's nothing like driving through middle park using the hood cam, and catching up with a great deal of joggers out for their morning stroll.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I don't run down pedestrians because now I exclusively ride motorcycles. Motorcycles for life.
In other news, gently caress street racing. I have to do one to start Cesar's missions in SA and I just can't control the drat thing. I finally got one where I was 2nd with a huge margin to both 1st and 3rd, but that's the closest I've gotten.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The only people I kill on purpose are the people who hit me with their cars and don't get out to check if I'm ok

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Only times I go and kill pedestrians is if I'm pissed and fail a taxi mission when I'm about to complete it or fail a mission for the 10th time.

After that, it's ped killing time.

But other than that, I can't remember too many times beyond the initial "A new GTA? Time to kill some people!" phase.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

Only times I go and kill pedestrians is if I'm pissed and fail a taxi mission when I'm about to complete it or fail a mission for the 10th time.

After that, it's ped killing time.

But other than that, I can't remember too many times beyond the initial "A new GTA? Time to kill some people!" phase.
You never just go around and kill as many people as possible while trying to run from the police? It's one of the most fun things to do in GTA.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The revolver in Vice City was always my favorite pedestrian rampage assistant. Just stand out in the middle of the street and keep tapping that lock-on button and X alternating, then when the going gets tough run to the nearby hideout with the helicopter on the roof and ride off into the sunset like some sort of Santa Claus of murder.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

wa27 posted:

You never just go around and kill as many people as possible while trying to run from the police? It's one of the most fun things to do in GTA.

I used to do that more often, but these days it feels kind of tired. I'll do it every now and then.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I can't prove it, but it seems like if you can run with a big crowd of panicked pedestrians in GTA IV the cops are less likely to shoot at you. They still shoot every now and then but it seems like they miss both you and the crowd. I've tried that tactic a couple of times and it usually seems to work. It takes a while, certainly, but it's pretty satisfying to avoid a two or three star wanted level just by ducking into a big crowd of people until you reach the edge of the search circle and can hide somewhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tewratomeh posted:

I can't prove it, but it seems like if you can run with a big crowd of panicked pedestrians in GTA IV the cops are less likely to shoot at you.

GTAV needs to have Jason Bourne-style "lose the cops by hiding in a crowd" capability.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Whelp, it was fun GTA4 but gently caress this poo poo. I finally get to the final mission and I have never failed one up to this point.

The chopper crashes every. single. time. It refuses to go up. I tried rebinding the keys, nothing works.

And Christ on a cracker the controls are poo poo. It honestly reminds me of Alone in the Dark's controls. Niko is like a shopping cart with tank threads.

It was a fun game, a solid 8, 9 if the controls weren't so hosed up. Also playing this for the first time after playing Saint's Row 2 is not a good idea at all. I have a feeling I would have appreciated GTA4 more if I had played it before Saint's Row.

Also makes me laugh that some outlets gave this 10/10 GTA4 is a really good game but nothing, NOTHING can excuse the lovely, lovely controls.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Gils posted:

I don't run down pedestrians because now I exclusively ride motorcycles. Motorcycles for life.
In other news, gently caress street racing. I have to do one to start Cesar's missions in SA and I just can't control the drat thing. I finally got one where I was 2nd with a huge margin to both 1st and 3rd, but that's the closest I've gotten.

Street races are easy if you dont just accelerate to top speed and never slow down. Start slow so the computer controlled guys all bunch up and knock each other senselessly off course. Then speed past them and never see them again. Slow down on turns, keeping a steady course is way more important than maintaining speed.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

ElwoodCuse posted:

I like walking in to the Times Square Cluckin Bell and starting a rampage. If you cover next to the door it creates a great choke point as cops start coming. Plus blind firing the RPG into the street creates huge chain reactions.

You know you're going on some kind of list for this post. I hope you don't enjoy flying.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Zedd posted:

There is a storyline mission to do just that, guess you never beat the game. (Or just forgot, I tend to forget details like that myself)

One thing I dislike about BoGT is that you can't enter Bahama Mama's after the mission or before the mission involving it; teleporting in with the native trainer has the club being empty even during nights. :(

Yeah that was a bit of a disappointment, that mission was just fantastic though. The clubs in BoGT were definitely one of my favourite parts of the game, here's hoping we get even more in GTA5.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Red Mundus posted:

Whelp, it was fun GTA4 but gently caress this poo poo. I finally get to the final mission and I have never failed one up to this point.
The last mission (whichever version you take) is the worst in the game. Because of bugs or the "what the gently caress am I supposed to do" factor, I frequently failed it. And where's the checkpoint? Right before the big shootout, so if you get hit by a stray rocket, or fail that stupid "hammer the button" minigame, or you can't see where the ramp is, or you realise at this mission that the helecopter controls are hideous on anything but a gamepad, or the chopper you're chasing crashes and that doesn't count as a mission success or a mission failure...

... you have to go back and do the shootout all over again. With less weapons! Unless you reload your save, but then you have to do the driving part too!

Only "my cousin" is worth that hassle.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
GTAV needs horses, now that they've made RDR, so that you can a] have mounted police and b] reenact that bit from True Lies

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

And bicycles, monster trucks, skateboards, planes, pets, children and Hare Krishnas.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

GTAV needs horses, now that they've made RDR, so that you can a] have mounted police and b] reenact that bit from True Lies

This would be AWESOME, especially if they added dismemberment. RPG + Horses Face = Win

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

You know what would be more awesome than horses in a GTA game? Not having horses in a GTA game. Including horses means there's going to be at least one horse chase mission in the storyline and I don't know, that just strikes me as being silly.

Also, I would feel really squeamish accidentally killing a horse in a modern day setting. RDR had animals that you could kill without feeling awkward because it was set in a location and a time period where animals run free and wild across the land. In GTA, no animals would exist that aren't someone's pet. I don't like the idea of killing someone's pet, even if it's in a videogame. Nobody should like the idea of killing someone's pet.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Whalley posted:

Nobody should like the idea of killing someone's pet.
Like you never kicked the dogs in Bully.

They should have a Grand Canyon like place in the next GTA. Riding a horse off into a canyon and having it explode at the bottom would be hilarious.

Edit: and they need a moon buggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
gently caress a horse, I'd ride a motorcycle down that bitch.

• Locked thread