Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Going to the recruiment office tomorrow in Mississauga. Going to ask all my questions and get all necessary paperwork so I know what to expect when it comes to physical fitness and what things I need to know for their tests.

Worried about the credit aspect - I was recently in collections due to an insurance mishap - I'm really hoping that doesn't affect their decision.

Also, how long does it roughly take from when you give them the papers to them enlisting you? Is it weeks, months? Maybe a year?

Again, I'm a civvy that has no clue about how the military works - closest I've gotten to this type of thing was working at a police headquarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Also, how long does it roughly take from when you give them the papers to them enlisting you? Is it weeks, months? Maybe a year?

That's pretty dependent on what you're signing up for, as status/needs of each trade are different and vary throughout the year as well.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Lt. Jebus posted:

Its a historic week, Canada now has two subs in the water for the first time in two years! And one of them is the Victoria, which has been in dry dock for 6 years... Hooray.

Yeah, saw the Victoria in the water today, yaaaaaay. Honestly believe it will be a good boat.

Also, y'all can't really rip on PERs till you've had the "pleasure" of writing them. Slaving over them for weeks, actually trying to write your guys up fairly, having it torn to shreds by your boss and then his boss, and then eventually having the interview where the member glances at it for a few seconds, grunts, signs it, and walks out.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

compressioncut posted:

Hi folks - interesting news about in-service commissioning hot off the presses (well, my in service commissioning). I applied CEOTP (pilot) in the fall with a really strong package. But it turns out the CF is not interested in offering any spots in that pipeline this year after all (i.e. no one is getting an offer).

But, they are wanting to extend me a UTPNCM offer, which is super fantastic sounding, but I'm not too sure how I'm going to get into the required program (science, engineering, aviation, space science) for THIS FALL by applying within the next week or so. I have 3 years of a history degree, but they won't fund that for pilot. For gently caress's sake.

I have to talk to someone other than the clerk at D-MILC to try to wangle this. Even continuing my degree at my previous uni would be a hassle at this point (course registration is in like two months).

Since when can a pilot not have a history degree? Lots of them have arts degrees. They are pretty retarded if they wouldn't fund just one year instead of a full four years. Don't know why you wouldn't want to go UTP. You get decent pay and you get to be a highly paid student for four years. Go UTP. Apply everywhere. A lot of UTPs go to RMC as well. It's a good go because you really don't go anything at RMC except go on a few parades and do school work. You don't have to do a lot of the lame rear end poo poo cadets have to go through.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Elgar posted:

Since when can a pilot not have a history degree? Lots of them have arts degrees. They are pretty retarded if they wouldn't fund just one year instead of a full four years. Don't know why you wouldn't want to go UTP. You get decent pay and you get to be a highly paid student for four years. Go UTP. Apply everywhere. A lot of UTPs go to RMC as well. It's a good go because you really don't go anything at RMC except go on a few parades and do school work. You don't have to do a lot of the lame rear end poo poo cadets have to go through.

Oh, I'm going UTP if it kills me. It looks as though it would be pretty straightforward to work into a BSc in Psychology at the same school where I was working on my other degree, so would have a bunch of mandatories and electives done. I'm just not sure if I will be able to get any classes prior to January, but I'm all for a 3 or 4 year paid ride at a civvy university, while making my full NCM salary. I have no desire to go to RMC.

A pilot can have a history degree, but the CF won't pay for a pilot to get one (for ROTP/UTP, anyway). It's pretty retarded, and I know plenty of aircrew with irrelevant degrees. My last CO had a geology degree, my father in law has one in economics.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Fraser CDN posted:

Are you counting ones in basic as well? I know we did one before DP1 to narrow down people to go on course, the we did one on DP1. Its the military, if it makes sense then something is going wrong.

Yeah, one in Basic, one on PAT and one on DP1. If you fail an Express test week 8 of combat engineer DP1 there's really no hope for you.

Thanks for telling me whats up with that PER stuff. No one in my troop knows what's up and all the information we hear is just hearsay most of the time. Some guys didn't realise that we don't operate heavy equipment t'ill week 2 of DP1. Hell I've learned a lot more career related things on this site than through any staff I've had.

Anyone hear anything about the CF starting up 4 CER in Gagetown and seperating it from 4 ESR? That's the latest rumour going around.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

compressioncut posted:

Oh, I'm going UTP if it kills me. It looks as though it would be pretty straightforward to work into a BSc in Psychology at the same school where I was working on my other degree, so would have a bunch of mandatories and electives done. I'm just not sure if I will be able to get any classes prior to January, but I'm all for a 3 or 4 year paid ride at a civvy university, while making my full NCM salary. I have no desire to go to RMC.

A pilot can have a history degree, but the CF won't pay for a pilot to get one (for ROTP/UTP, anyway). It's pretty retarded, and I know plenty of aircrew with irrelevant degrees. My last CO had a geology degree, my father in law has one in economics.

Hey if you do that you might be able to take enough history electives to get a double major. So that'd be something

ub posted:

Yeah, saw the Victoria in the water today, yaaaaaay. Honestly believe it will be a good boat.

Also, y'all can't really rip on PERs till you've had the "pleasure" of writing them. Slaving over them for weeks, actually trying to write your guys up fairly, having it torn to shreds by your boss and then his boss, and then eventually having the interview where the member glances at it for a few seconds, grunts, signs it, and walks out.

How about the boards where it's just . Yeah give him 45 total. Yeah that guy 48. Ok, now how do we fit these numbers in.

Elgar fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 25, 2011

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Morristron continued to nurse his shattered motivation this reporting period and consistently failed to give two fucks. He showed great enthusiasm in harassing the poo poo out of his chain of command, and in doing so displayed a great ability to either draw dicks or have them drawn for him once he was ordered to no longer draw dicks.

Morristron also displayed his ability to follow orders very precisely. So precisely, in fact, that the intent of the order was completely ignored and often directly opposed. While his work was completed to the best of his ability at all times, it was only due to his not wanting to gently caress over his peers.

As Morristron has hit rock bottom and somehow built himself an excavator out of scrap hydraulics, it is recommended that he advance in his career. We will not let his previous years of dedication and hard work hold him back as he has clearly turned a corner.

:smug:

That was meant to be a line or two about PERs, but totally got away on me.

In happier news, I just completed what may very well be my last field ex EVAR. I'm highly stoked about that.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Ha. It was all a ruse. They took us out of Suffield for just the weekend and plan to ship us back on Tuesday. :tinfoil:

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Morristron posted:

Morristron continued to nurse his shattered motivation this reporting period and consistently failed to give two fucks. He showed great enthusiasm in harassing the poo poo out of his chain of command, and in doing so displayed a great ability to either draw dicks or have them drawn for him once he was ordered to no longer draw dicks.

Morristron also displayed his ability to follow orders very precisely. So precisely, in fact, that the intent of the order was completely ignored and often directly opposed. While his work was completed to the best of his ability at all times, it was only due to his not wanting to gently caress over his peers.

As Morristron has hit rock bottom and somehow built himself an excavator out of scrap hydraulics, it is recommended that he advance in his career. We will not let his previous years of dedication and hard work hold him back as he has clearly turned a corner.

:smug:

Not bad :)

And I'm reminded that everyone (myself included) is probably going to be getting their actual PERs soon. Good luck everyone!

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Simkin posted:

Ha. It was all a ruse. They took us out of Suffield for just the weekend and plan to ship us back on Tuesday. :tinfoil:

gently caress you and your terrible field stash. They can throw me in DB, cause I won't go.

Also, I have a leave pass for Tuesday-Friday. :P

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Aww. You scared it right off my drat face.

I'm happy that the IRU nonsense got pushed off to the right and that we're not being shipped out to Manitoba right away. Or Wainwright.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Looks like someone leaked the fear/rumor that PLD is going away next year to the Canadian Press... This is one issue I hope is politicized, as I'm going to be in Esquimalt next year and a loss of 800/month would be hard to swallow.

Still, now that it looks pretty solid that it will be going away I can budget around it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, it didn't seem to fly with anyone the excuse of 'it's just an administrative change.' Sure. Tell a no-hook living in Edmonton (or Victoria) that they're going to have to try to survive without a cost of living adjustment. If that does go through, don't be surprised to see scenes of enlisted men visiting food banks (again).

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Hell, there will be Lt(N)s in Victoria visiting food banks while trying to pay for the mortgage on their 650,000 home (bought at the height of the bubble)

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Hey, something I've been wondering for a while. I know any time we end up with a Lt(N) near army dudes we call them just that. If one of our Capts went to a navy base, does he end up getting called Capt(A)?

(Truely a question worthy of the interbutts.)

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Technically our Captains are Capt(N)'s.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Personally I think the army and air force should have to parenthesize their ranks :twisted:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ub posted:

Personally I think the army and air force should have to parenthesize their ranks :twisted:

why

we're a combined military, remember? we don't have an air force and army and navy, we're just canadian FORCES

why does the navy hate the rest of the forces, what have they ever done to you

(except mock you at every turn. ordinary seaman, heh)

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
We are jealous of their beard growing powers. gently caress shaving.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Flanker posted:

We are jealous of their beard growing powers. gently caress shaving.

There was a RHLI Sergeant who taught my basic who used to be a pioneer, apparently they were allowed to grow beards until that particular specialization was removed.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
They finally came down on beards for anyone posted to a sea-going unit a couple years ago. So any navy dude you see these days with a beard hasn't been to sea recently.

(I miss beard growing competitions at sea where anyone could not shave and look like a complete bag of poo poo for weeks regardless of their ability to grown any sort of decent beard :))

ub fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 29, 2011

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

ub posted:

(I miss beard growing competitions at sea where anyone could not shave and look like a complete bag of poo poo for weeks regardless of their ability to grown any sort of decent beard :))

This is called "Being a submariner"

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

ub posted:

They finally came down on beards for anyone posted to a sea-going unit a couple years ago. So any navy dude you see these days with a beard hasn't been to sea recently.

Why was it they came down on people growing beards at sea? I thought that was the whole point of growing them was for being at sea?

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I'm pretty sure it prevented a good seal with the drager mask might have been the gas mask, some sort of mask anyways

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

The Amputee House posted:

I'm pretty sure it prevented a good seal with the drager mask might have been the gas mask, some sort of mask anyways

Pretty sure that's bullshit since the chemox masks don't differ very much.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Lt. Jebus posted:

This is called "Being a submariner"

Sure, and it doesn't even require you guys to be at sea. :haw:

Ruse posted:

Pretty sure that's bullshit since the chemox masks don't differ very much.

Chemox you actually need a better seal since its a closed system with only a finite amount of air in it; Dragers are positive pressure so you can better afford to loose a little here and there. I think the decision was just something that had been in the pipe for a while and the call was eventually made. It had already been the case that you needed to be clean-shaven for your fit-test to be valid so it didn't make sense to get that done, then get all shaggy and get deployed.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

MA-Horus posted:

There was a RHLI Sergeant who taught my basic who used to be a pioneer, apparently they were allowed to grow beards until that particular specialization was removed.

Did his last name start with a W or an M? Either way I probably did basic with him.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Well, I'll take my aircraft carrier gift wrapped I guess...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Guys, if you honestly believe that a Conservative majority is going to be good for the Forces, get your head outta the sand. What the Lord Harper giveth (F-35s) the Lord Harper taketh away (funding will have to be reduced in other areas, and I guarantee it'll be from training and equipment budgets.)

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

Guys, if you honestly believe that a Conservative majority is going to be good for the Forces, get your head outta the sand. What the Lord Harper giveth (F-35s) the Lord Harper taketh away (funding will have to be reduced in other areas, and I guarantee it'll be from training and equipment budgets.)

That's not how capital project money (vote 5) works really... Once it's allocated from the TB you can't use O&M money (Vote 1) to pay for it.

It's afghanistan that's syphoning all your training money away, not jets. For a party that has made it's bones about being big on security I can't see them cutting our budget in any substantial way.

(Not huge conservative supporter [anymore]... Just saying).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

That's not how capital project money (vote 5) works really... Once it's allocated from the TB you can't use O&M money (Vote 1) to pay for it.

It's afghanistan that's syphoning all your training money away, not jets. For a party that has made it's bones about being big on security I can't see them cutting our budget in any substantial way.

(Not huge conservative supporter [anymore]... Just saying).

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. So, any bets how much longer we're going to be in Afghanistan for?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Hopefully at least until my tour is over :sweatdrop:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. So, any bets how much longer we're going to be in Afghanistan for?

What do you mean by "in"? Judging from what the 1-10 guys are saying we're already transitioning into a training role over there. I highly doubt we'll move back into combat tours.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

acumen posted:

What do you mean by "in"? Judging from what the 1-10 guys are saying we're already transitioning into a training role over there. I highly doubt we'll move back into combat tours.

I mean remaining in combat roles. Will all combat operations for the CF be finished by 2012? I know current operational tempo has taken it's toll on just about all units involved.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The current roto is the last "combat role" tour, iirc. 2 RCR is heading out next to start the training role stuff, but from what I hear this doesn't really mean that we'll be sitting in a secure place in Kabul for six months giving powerpoint lessons to ANA troops, there'll still be presence on patrols and it'll just be like an OMLT tour.

The footprint is being reduced, though. It sounds like they're just sending over some officers and senior NCOs as mentors instead of an entire battlegroup worth of troops.

Our operational capability is a mess. I read an article last year about how 70% of our vehicles are behind on maintenance or barely working anymore.

These are just things I've heard or read though, I'm sure some of the guys in actual battalions have more to say about the next phase of Afghan tours.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Based on what I've heard around battalion and from 1RCR returning, we're already moving into a mentoring role (some of the guys from 1RCR were up in Kabul for the latter part of their tour). We're already getting calls for, as tuyop said, officers and senior NCOs for that OMLT gig.

Operationally we're not that bad. Yeah, our vehicles are terrible but at least on my tour, we weren't in them much anyway; the bad guys don't fight often when there's LAVs and tanks about.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Gotta report in at the unit today for 0800 sharp to help with the flooding in Montéregie, QC.

Nothing extraordinary about that except for the fact that I live in the hardest hit area.

"Why don't I just meet up with you guys when you get here?"
"Now, now B. You know that's not how we do things."

I love the army, but sometimes... :shepicide:

I'm going to try and see if my lads and I can sleep in my own home rather than stay in a mouldy mod tent for 10 days. That'd be delicious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Barrakketh posted:

I'm going to try and see if my lads and I can sleep in my own home rather than stay in a mouldy mod tent for 10 days. That'd be delicious.

Back in the reserves if I was just some kind of floating officer I would sometimes get my girlfriend to come pick me up and drive me back in the morning while we were on ex. I feel kind of guilty about it, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
A good lady I went to basic with has gone missing in Shilo, I figured I might as well send you all a link because at this point everything helps.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/05/06/manitoba-missing-soldier.html

quote:

The Canadian Forces Military police is looking into the disappearance of a female soldier.

Private Michelle Recksiedler-Berry was last seen on April 27 in the Dominion City area.Private Michelle Recksiedler-Berry was last seen on April 27 in the Dominion City area. (Canadian Forces)

Private Michelle Recksiedler-Berry, 34, also known as Michelle Berry, was last seen April 27 in the Dominion City area, about 20 kilometres from the U.S. border.

According to the military, she had been on leave from CFB Shilo, east of Brandon, and was visiting her mother.

Canadian Forces officials said Recksiedler-Berry did not return after leaving to buy cigarettes.

She was believed to be driving a white 1994 Plymouth Voyager van with a burgundy stripe.

Recksiedler-Berry is described as 5 foot five inches, 135 pounds, with a medium build and short dark hair. She also wears dark-rimmed glasses.

She was wearing a light blue T-shirt and dark pants at the time of her disappearance.

Captain Karina Holder, a spokeswoman with the national investigative service, said the soldier's disappearance is rare.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Military Police in Winnipeg at 204-833-2500 ext 3028.