Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

Lord Windy posted:

whine whine whine

Yeah you sound like fun to deal with. Surprise, you are going to have a long sync time when trying to transfer a high volume of data! Leave that poo poo on overnight.

Tier 2 was right in telling you to gently caress off, especially if you're not going to do what they recommend. Higher level support is not there to hold your hand just because your call is taking too long. If you had called me with something like that I would have laughed at you and hung up when you whined "that won't wooooork".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Nah, you guys are right. I was being an entitled poo poo. I can't defend myself from that.

I just came home angry and gushed. My only real gripe is that my first escalation didn't really end well, I got poor advice about restoring as new to rule out a hardware issue and not to call back unless I had done that. I don't think I was being a dick here, I was just asking on how to proceed like I've done in the past.

Upside, I know how to do it next time. But I'll step back and think about how I'm being a little poo poo from now on.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

Nah, you guys are right. I was being an entitled poo poo. I can't defend myself from that.

I just came home angry and gushed. My only real gripe is that my first escalation didn't really end well, I got poor advice about restoring as new to rule out a hardware issue and not to call back unless I had done that. I don't think I was being a dick here, I was just asking on how to proceed like I've done in the past.

Upside, I know how to do it next time. But I'll step back and think about how I'm being a little poo poo from now on.

I'm genuinely shocked at this post. Seriously, good on you.

Edit: Truth be told, very few issues are as simply as "if x do y". A lot of it is process of elimination. I know it sucks being told to restore as new when you don't think it'll help, but unless you've had this exact issue before and tried it, you can't say for sure. The only thing worse than restoring as new and having it not resolve the issue is not restoring as new, escalating a ticket, and having a ticketing agent restore a customer's phone a week later and fixing the issue, then sending your manager feedback because you skipped a basic troubleshooting step.

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 29, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just got hired today for my first IT job, at an outsource call center. I've been unemployed for about 8 months. (And before that, I only had a job that lasted three months until they closed up shop, before which I was unemployed another 8 or so months. So these past two years.. I've had very little work.)

I'll be doing tech support for Dell computers. (I understand there is a lot of non-disclosure involved with the job.. but simply talking about what your job is, and for who.. that's not a problem, right?) I've always hated the idea about having to do tech support in a call center... but it seems the only real way to start out in IT.

But I immediately felt a whole lot better about things when I learned we only get calls from businesses (with a lot of government contracts too). So, dealing business to business seems a lot more manageable.

It seems like a nice place, and in general... I'm actually a little bit excited. I mean, you all may hate working call centers but it beats unemployment.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

Revol posted:

I just got hired today for my first IT job, at an outsource call center. I've been unemployed for about 8 months. (And before that, I only had a job that lasted three months until they closed up shop, before which I was unemployed another 8 or so months. So these past two years.. I've had very little work.)

I'll be doing tech support for Dell computers. (I understand there is a lot of non-disclosure involved with the job.. but simply talking about what your job is, and for who.. that's not a problem, right?) I've always hated the idea about having to do tech support in a call center... but it seems the only real way to start out in IT.

But I immediately felt a whole lot better about things when I learned we only get calls from businesses (with a lot of government contracts too). So, dealing business to business seems a lot more manageable.

It seems like a nice place, and in general... I'm actually a little bit excited. I mean, you all may hate working call centers but it beats unemployment.

If you want to get into IT, start studying for certifications and mucking around with servers (Amazon offers a year of free usage of micro EC2 instances, S3, EBS, and other fun things like that). Helpdesk is good for foot in the door (and a paycheck so you don't starve), but you have to put in the effort on your end if you want to get into the higher levels.

B2B calling is usually better, but you'll get plenty of dumbasses that will flip when their "doesn't cover gently caress-all plan" doesn't cover full replacement and 4 hour response.

Or do what my boss did and hack the phones in your first week, then get hired as the on-site tech.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

man thats gross posted:

I'm genuinely shocked at this post. Seriously, good on you.

Edit: Truth be told, very few issues are as simply as "if x do y". A lot of it is process of elimination. I know it sucks being told to restore as new when you don't think it'll help, but unless you've had this exact issue before and tried it, you can't say for sure. The only thing worse than restoring as new and having it not resolve the issue is not restoring as new, escalating a ticket, and having a ticketing agent restore a customer's phone a week later and fixing the issue, then sending your manager feedback because you skipped a basic troubleshooting step.

I am really sorry about that earlier post, I was acting like a little child.

I did much better today, 4 positive peer reviews with all of them listing me as very helpful and enthusiastic along with one from a customer compliment saying how I was extremely patient and helpful in solving his iPhone connectivity issues.

So an improvement on a bad day.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

I am really sorry about that earlier post, I was acting like a little child.

I did much better today, 4 positive peer reviews with all of them listing me as very helpful and enthusiastic along with one from a customer compliment saying how I was extremely patient and helpful in solving his iPhone connectivity issues.

So an improvement on a bad day.

Awesome feedback!

Honestly, we've all had bad experiences calling tier two. I still remember calling in and being told to check a setting that wasn't actually present on the device I was calling about. I had to look it up to be sure, but by then I had already disconnected. A few days later, same problem, same device, call tier two, same agent, and he gives me the same advice. I told him that I'd checked, and that setting wasn't there. He asked me to go back to the customer and have them check. I asked him where it was supposed to be. I went back to the customer and had them read off every single option in that section, wrote it down, and read it back to tier two verbatim. He told me to check a few other things and escalate.

And really, you'll find a lot of tier two agents that really don't deserve the title. I remember one guy who had to go back and take the tier one training. Of course he didn't actually get demoted to tier one or anything...

Another thing, I was expected to take twice as many calls with half the handle time of tier one. So whenever someone asks me to take over a call for them, I will absolutely fight it. There are rules which dictate a legitimate supervisor call to tier two, and I could quote them from memory. I had to. People would call us to take over all sorts of bullshit, long calls, sup calls for other departments, customers they're just sick of dealing with...

There was also one group of agents where it was basically my job to make them do their job and catch their lies. Half of them could barely communicate, and none of them would do poo poo. It got to the point where I would ask each of them three individual times what troubleshooting they did, so that when I told them that nothing they did was part of their troubleshooting for this issue, which they're supposed to do prior to calling me, they couldn't claim "oh I did that too". The smart ones would do nothing, open up their troubleshooting tool, and just read to me the steps they didn't actually do. Of course, a lot of what they were supposed to do leaves a trace in tools which they don't know how to use properly, so I was constantly policing them by checking these traces. 80% of my calls with these idiots was ten minutes of detective work, and would end with "follow the steps in your troubleshooting tool, goodbye".

Just wanted to give you a bit of perspective from the other side of the phone. We put up with a lot of poo poo, and a lot of lazy and/or incompetent agents. It was shocking, because I was like you, and I expected most other agents were too. What a shock it was to see just how wrong I was. I always tried to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but you start to really lose faith in your colleagues when the first 2 hours of your shift get eaten up by three bullshit supervisor, and you spend the rest of your day telling people to follow the troubleshooting they're supposed to do before calling you. Every day.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I'm a level one tech support, and due to the actions of a few useless coworkers (no really, their cases often went along the lines of "customer is not in sync, escalating to level 2") lead to there being a checklist system placed. I follow the checklists religiously because it's not worth the trouble of level 2 sending stuff back to us upon deciding a minor point needs follow up before they can send to field.

One thing that annoys me but isn't specifically call centre related - currently we're losing people left right and centre:
  • One person is going to be a Level 2 for the next fortnight because two of the level 2's had to go on annual leave.
  • One person got a job doing system administration within the company.
  • One person got an internship and quit with very little notice.
  • It's mid-semester and all the casual staff have assignments to do so are reducing their shifts.
  • Our boss, who previously managed to keep the helpdesk running relatively smoothly even when we had so few people, has been made redundant so one of the day supervisors has been forced into a position where he has to roster and organise for everyone else.
The next few weeks are going to be terrible. :(

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I'm getting promoted to tier 2 as soon as they hire a replacement for me on tier 1 and I recover from surgery. Aw yeah.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How does this tier 2 position work? At the call center I work at, everyone's in a team with 2 designated supervisors that are there to answer questions and other administrative things, and only take over calls if a customer demands to speak to them. I never speak to another agent over the phone; if I need help on a call, I ask in a chat program or put the customer on hold and ask someone in person.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Tennis Ball posted:

I'm getting promoted to tier 2 as soon as they hire a replacement for me on tier 1 and I recover from surgery. Aw yeah.

I've been promised tier 3 for 2.5 years. I have given up.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

dustbin posted:

How does this tier 2 position work? At the call center I work at, everyone's in a team with 2 designated supervisors that are there to answer questions and other administrative things, and only take over calls if a customer demands to speak to them. I never speak to another agent over the phone; if I need help on a call, I ask in a chat program or put the customer on hold and ask someone in person.

At my job it was a designated group broken into the agents that answered calls from tier one, and the agents who actioned escalated tickets. So the phone support tier two basically helped to track outages and identify trends, provide advanced troubleshooting steps, verify info, take over "technical" escalations (being a TECHNICAL call centre, we caught no end of bullshit that other departments didn't want to handle because the root of drat near every call we took was technical, although the reason for escalation usually wasn't), and probably a few other duties I'm forgetting.

In principle it should have been better than tier one because you're no longer on the front lines. In actuality, the fact that 99% of the people I spoke to were lazy, incompetent, and worst of all, would send negative feedback to my manager for no reason other than following written policy or telling them to do their loving job, meant I was burning out in record time. Seriously I lasted two years in tier one, and when I was promoted it was like "lalala, comin' to work, oh I got tier two? Really? Cool!" When I got promoted out of tier two it was more like "oh thank you baby Jesus I was a week away from the story of my life ending with 'before turning the gun on himself.'"

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
:( Why is my bill $300

:geno: You missed march's payment, so as a courtesy, we rolled the march payment into april.

:( oh, I see, can I get this extended

:geno: if you pay the march balance, we can extend april's out for you

:( i may call back and do that, it's really hard to get these bills under control

:geno: *generic sympathy statement*

:( btw, do you have any kind of insurance for custom parts?

:geno: sure, we have coverage for equipment and custom parts permanently installed on the vehicle

:( i want to insure my rims

:geno: how much coverage do you need?

:v: they cost $4500

:sigh: okay

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Loving Life Partner posted:

:( i want to insure my rims

:v: they cost $4500

It amazes me how people will live on a financial knife-edge to maintain an appearance of wealth. When I worked in retail some of my colleagues would buy $200 shirts to wear out clubbing, despite having to work something like 2.5 days to pay for it.

When I worked in a bank call centre I'd get calls from people like Loving Life Partner's post.

:( I have all these overdraft charges on my account, why did you do that?

:geno: Looks like this transaction here put you overdrawn over your existing overdraft, and then you bought three more things when you were overdrawn, so you got charged each time.

:( Well can you reverse the charges? This is bullshit!

:geno: I'm afraid you've already had the maximum number of charges reversed this year.

:( gently caress you, why are you taking my money?

:geno: Because you bought things when you were overdrawn, meaning you were spending *our* money, not yours.

:( So?

And on and on. Then they'd try to apply for more credit, but they didn't meet requirements, or they'd apply for another credit card and get declined etc. My favourite part was reading out where transactions took place. They never seemed to click that wasting loads of money on pointless poo poo was what put them in the situation they were in.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I honestly don't get it either. I feel guilty if I overdraft to pay a bill/rent on time - and this is just paying dental/essentials (screw you overpriced dental insurance and Wells Fargo cutting off their SANE payment plan).*

*Working on applying for a Master's and hopefully a jerb that pays more than 8/hr. My old call center complained that OMG 9 dollars an hour to take 7 kinds of calls was TOO MUCH. Seriously?

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

r. My old call center complained that OMG 9 dollars an hour to take 7 kinds of calls was TOO MUCH. Seriously?

Seriously? I make just under 14/hour with CPH of 12. Unless you are talking 7 different KINDs of calls, then I get paid that to take 9 different types of calls. Dont worry, call centers always think they pay you to much, and any monkey can do your job blah blah blah

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I got chewed out for taking a break that was a minute too long today. I was in the restroom and was having stomach problems. Come on, give me a loving break.

Also, I've only really started taking a lot of calls, but how do you guys taking people yelling at you about a bill they obviously don't understand? It's so draining to talk to some of these people because it seems like nothing will satisfy them except the answer they're looking for. What do you mean it's an introductory rate, or whatever.

The other thing that is killing me is half the people who call me sound like Boomhauer from King of the HIll and I have no idea what the hell they're saying but hopefully I'll get more accustomed to them.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
There's a customer who frequently calls (usually because his account is suspended due to non-payment), and gets abusive if things don't go his way.

I got his call last night. The end of the conversation looked a bit like this:
:j: okay, so we're just going to have to put your authentication details back into the mode-
:rant: RAAAARGH WHY DO I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS loving poo poo AGAIN loving HELL WHY CAN'T YOU DUMB FUCKS GET SOMETHING RIGHT!!!!!
:j: uh, if you don't stop swearing at me I'm going to ha-
*click*

He hung up on me, what a relief. I included in the notes that I wasn't going to call back because he was abusive.

Funnily enough, we've tried to forcibly disconnect him from receiving services anymore (he rarely pays on time, threatens staff and we've wasted a lot of time and effort on him already), but we have to provide written notification and he keeps forwarding the letters back to us as 'return to sender'. :eng99:

Edit:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I got chewed out for taking a break that was a minute too long today. I was in the restroom and was having stomach problems. Come on, give me a loving break.

Also, I've only really started taking a lot of calls, but how do you guys taking people yelling at you about a bill they obviously don't understand? It's so draining to talk to some of these people because it seems like nothing will satisfy them except the answer they're looking for. What do you mean it's an introductory rate, or whatever.

The other thing that is killing me is half the people who call me sound like Boomhauer from King of the HIll and I have no idea what the hell they're saying but hopefully I'll get more accustomed to them.
I find repetition helps. Each time they try to reframe the issue so they can try and not pay whatever bill they have coming their way, you just repeat that it was in their contract.
Something along the lines of "when you signed up the terms and conditions were you were to get [introductory rate] for [period of time]. [period of time] has since passed, so we're putting your rate back up. You signed an agreement stating you understood and accepted these terms. Your bill is for [$x] and it's due on [date]" works okay. Sometimes suggesting that you're just a peon who has to obey the rules helps, but I don't know if your calls are recorded or not.

Each time they try to argue it with you, just tell them it's not an argument because they signed the contract, but you can try talking to your manager or whatever to see if they can help you out.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 4, 2011

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, one of the best phrases to hammer into someone is that something is "system determined".

Why is my rate x?
System determined.

Can you stop this cancellation?
Sorry, system determined.

Why am I being surcharged x dollars?
System. Determined.

It's not a lie, but it's something more than "No, I can't/won't do that for you.", and if they still pushback, then explain that you can't do anything in your position, but, someone higher up than you may be able to *hint hint, please ask to escalate so I can dump you in their lap*.

Course, you can't escalate EVERYBODY, but for that one call a day where they just don't want to understand, want you to explain it anyway, and won't hang up until they get the result they want, hey, let escalation handle it.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

froglet posted:

I find repetition helps. Each time they try to reframe the issue so they can try and not pay whatever bill they have coming their way, you just repeat that it was in their contract.
Something along the lines of "when you signed up the terms and conditions were you were to get [introductory rate] for [period of time]. [period of time] has since passed, so we're putting your rate back up. You signed an agreement stating you understood and accepted these terms. Your bill is for [$x] and it's due on [date]" works okay. Sometimes suggesting that you're just a peon who has to obey the rules helps, but I don't know if your calls are recorded or not.

Each time they try to argue it with you, just tell them it's not an argument because they signed the contract, but you can try talking to your manager or whatever to see if they can help you out.

I would do the repetition thing a lot too, depending on the customer. Some people are actually interested in having a reasonable conversation like adults, but when someone asks "But why x?" And you respond with "Because a, b, c, y and []z[/i]" and they reply with "Yeah but why x?", I'm done. Once it becomes clear they won't be satisfied until I basically tell them whatever they want to hear, despite the fact that what they want to hear is impossible, I don't even bother rephrasing anymore. I will repeat the same sentence verbatim until they give up.

I didn't like using the "I am but a humble serf, sire" routine though. In my experience, that was a one-way ticket to "then get me a manager", and in my call centre, that was a one-way ticket to speaking to four different supervisors and three different departments that exist for the sole purpose of taking supervisor calls and still not finding anyone willing to take the call.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Well, I don't have that problem at least since they have to take all the calls you try to transfer, valid or not. On the other hand you can get in trouble for improperly escalating calls. I just kind of hope that they will threaten to cancel or sue because then you're supposed to transfer.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

I would do the repetition thing a lot too, depending on the customer. Some people are actually interested in having a reasonable conversation like adults, but when someone asks "But why x?" And you respond with "Because a, b, c, y and []z[/i]" and they reply with "Yeah but why x?", I'm done. Once it becomes clear they won't be satisfied until I basically tell them whatever they want to hear, despite the fact that what they want to hear is impossible, I don't even bother rephrasing anymore. I will repeat the same sentence verbatim until they give up.

I found the only drawback of this is if you don't completely understand the customer's question (or they are phrasing it poorly), making repeating yourself very pointless. Feel free to try to ask for clarification when they repeat the question

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Seriously? I make just under 14/hour with CPH of 12. Unless you are talking 7 different KINDs of calls, then I get paid that to take 9 different types of calls. Dont worry, call centers always think they pay you to much, and any monkey can do your job blah blah blah

Yup. You started at 8 and got 50 cent-1 dollar raises if and IF you met the metrics, which were stupid and horrible. Hope you're ok with hanging up or punting calls to meet the time metrics. :/

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Another trick I've learned is to tell them to grab a pen and paper (if its a dollar and cents issue). I'm an expert at reading billing transaction histories, and complicated ones are my favorites, but it's hard sometimes to relay that information completely over the phone, even if you go step by step, so have them write it down along with you.

After that, the only barrier they can throw up is misinformation (they told me my last payment caught me up, etc), or righteous indignation. It's hard to argue with the facts when they're staring you in the face.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

dustbin posted:

I found the only drawback of this is if you don't completely understand the customer's question (or they are phrasing it poorly), making repeating yourself very pointless. Feel free to try to ask for clarification when they repeat the question

This wasn't be default reaction. I always made an attempt to re-position or clarify my point and give the customer a chance to respond. But more often than not, it's not a "miscommunication", they simply aren't listening to you, or you're telling them something they don't want to hear so they're giving you a hard time. When it gets to that point, I stone-wall them.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Just had my annual review, despite only being with the company since February. Aside from a few schedule hiccup's, I scored 4's and 5's across the board. I have to admit, I was kinda paranoid about it, since they hammer into your head that they see and know about everything you do, and I was convinced I was going to be poo poo-canned for not documenting a call my third day on the floor, or forgetting to clock back in for lunch, or taking a bathroom break without telling anyone.

I'm still a human automatic dialer, or "Transfer Agent" as they call me, and it's boring as gently caress. No internet access except for wellsfargo.com and 411.com, and no paper of any kind, so no books or magazines, and no headphones. 98% of my time is listening to the phone ring, and 8/10 times it's a voice-mail. Other two times it's either a disconnect recording, or a wrong party contact/wrong number, which is met with me quickly saying "whoops, sorry" and hanging up. On the rare occasion I get the debtor on the phone, they hang up while it's being transferred, or they cry poverty (I gots no moneys), tragedy (My family was eaten by giant rats!), ignorance (What's a Wells Fargo?), or my personal favorite, stubborn (I'm not paying back that $4,000, and you can't make me, so HA!).

Having said that, I'm beginning to enjoy it in a sick way. It's easy as all hell, I feel spoiled having a CHAIR and a DESK (I come from retail, so having both makes me feel like a redneck lotto winner), we get smoke/meal breaks every two hours, and I can make my schedule, as long as I work 40 a week. For all this, I get $11 an hour, which is the most I've ever made in my life. I kill a lot of time daydreaming, or goofing off on 411.com, searching for funny names.

Know how many people are named Hitler in the country?

A few random things:

- After a while, you can tell who a person has for a phone company, based off of the voice-mail.

-The gently caress is with people's names? What the hell is a Nevaeh Kryskal Hernandez-Johnson?

-DO NOT let your kid's do your voice-mail recording. "LEAVH MOMNY MESSAGESA!" No, and gently caress you.

-In fact, don't do anything besides "hi, this is so-and-so/555-1234, please leave a message". Don't sing, don't rap, don't declare yourself to be "America's next big thang!". Just don't do it.

-If I call you, and I ask for Bill Johnson, and you are John Billson, just say "sorry, wrong number." Please, don't tell me how long you've had the number, how old you are, how hard you are, or any of that poo poo. Also, if you are a wrong number, don't call me a motherfucker, don't cry, don't scream at me, don't go on a tirade about Obama being a secret Muslim. Please, just say "wrong number".

-If your name is Alex Johnson, and you asked the phone company to publish your name as "A. Johnson", and you keep getting calls for Ashley Johnson, you have only yourself to blame.

-If you co-signed you friend's/girlfriend's/boyfriend's/concubine's bank account, and they bail, you are on the hook. Pure and simple.

-To the jackass who's voice-mail was "Peanut Butter Jelly Time!": gently caress you.

-Lying will get you nowhere. Example that happened only yesterday:
me: Hi, I 'm calling for Alberto Gonzalez*?
prick: Yes, this is Alberto Gonzalez, how can I help you?
me: Hi, this is Dave, I'm giving you a call from BCR, I have a
prick: NO ENGLISH NO ENGLISH NO ENGLISH!!!
*hangs up*

Oh, and debt collector's will loving drink you under the table. Seriously, they make irish dockworkers look like freshmen.

*not his real name

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here work in a hospital switchboard? Is it hell or pretty good?

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone here work in a hospital switchboard? Is it hell or pretty good?
I knew someone who did that. She didn't have any complaints except the other person who manned the switchboard left it a mess and that it was a dead-end job.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
How dead-end?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Well today was fun, had my first crying lady.

:) "Thank you for calling Apple Technical Support, my name is Lord Windy and could we start with a first name"

:mad: "What, I didn't get that. I barely understand you"

:) "I can tell the line is pretty poor, are you having trouble hearing me?"

:cry: "All I want is my phone to work like a modem, I can tell you are all just reading from scripts and if I have to check my cable one more time..."

:rant: for 5 minutes

:cry: "Wait, you aren't Indian... are you?"

:ohdear: "No, Australia is generally only serviced by local call centres with Apple."

:cry: "Oh good, just between you and me I can't understand them and I hate them so much. But that doesn't make me a racist"

She had spent 3 hours with Telstra, having them trying to troubleshoot her issue which couldn't be fixed before foisting her on me without telling either of us. I also had the tricky task of telling this poor woman that the new plan she had signed up with Telstra was going to be useless because her phone doesn't support Personal Hotspot and that they should have offered her a new phone instead.

She left really happy at least, gave her all the things she needed to fight for a decent plan with Telstra. Articles on Kbase (technical term for our support website) they could have referenced, technical specs on the iPhone 3G and other things.

I hope everything goes well for her

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

I hope everything goes well for her

I don't. Racist bitch. You did good work on this one though. I always felt good when I helped a customer by arming them with the info they need to fight someone who was treating them unfairly or not living up to their obligations.

I refused to abide by this kind of racist bullshit though. Like 90% of the call centre are recent immigrants, and I counted a lot of them among my friends. People like your customer made work hell for a lot of these guys, either by being blatantly racist over the phone, or more typically, by treating them with a tiny fraction of the respect they would typically give me, just because I have an anglo name and no accent, regardless of the fact that the other rep might have 100 certs in GSM architecture and networking, whereas I don't even have an A+ and my last job was in the kitchen of a pub.

Brendas Baby Daddy
Mar 11, 2009

man thats gross posted:

I don't. Racist bitch. You did good work on this one though. I always felt good when I helped a customer by arming them with the info they need to fight someone who was treating them unfairly or not living up to their obligations.

I refused to abide by this kind of racist bullshit though. Like 90% of the call centre are recent immigrants, and I counted a lot of them among my friends. People like your customer made work hell for a lot of these guys, either by being blatantly racist over the phone, or more typically, by treating them with a tiny fraction of the respect they would typically give me, just because I have an anglo name and no accent, regardless of the fact that the other rep might have 100 certs in GSM architecture and networking, whereas I don't even have an A+ and my last job was in the kitchen of a pub.

I don't care how many certs the person has if I can't understand what he or she is saying.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

man thats gross posted:

Yeah, I love it when someone tells me how glaaaaad they are I'm not Indian or 'NO BROWN PEOPLE I WANT A REAL PERSON' or 'gosh it's nice to have a little white girl*' on the phone or one of the numerous rants about OMFG THOSE INDIANS AND ASIANS. Dude, they just want a job and they're exploited by the company as much as I am.

*Genuine quote. Sure, she was right, but it made my skin crawl.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I worked with a nice, Indian girl named Sunita. Sunita was an American citizen who had immigrated legally, and when I was doing OJT with her I saw how badly she was treated just because of her accent. She was so nice, and spoke very clearly, but people still had a completely different attitude with her versus the native-born Americans I worked with.

She was so good at her job that she didn't let it bother her, but it made me mad that people would treat her with such disrespect for having an Indian accent.

Infinite Might
Mar 14, 2007

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of Bob Dole!

Aerofallosov posted:

Yeah, I love it when someone tells me how glaaaaad they are I'm not Indian or 'NO BROWN PEOPLE I WANT A REAL PERSON' or 'gosh it's nice to have a little white girl*' on the phone or one of the numerous rants about OMFG THOSE INDIANS AND ASIANS. Dude, they just want a job and they're exploited by the company as much as I am.

*Genuine quote. Sure, she was right, but it made my skin crawl.

Yeah... there are certain companies that telemarket our business that may be working with people prejudices. On the first day this one company calls, I get an east indian sounding man or woman every time. I politely refuse as it is for a debit card service we don't want and we know that it is pretty much a scam. The next day the same pitch by the same company is given to me by a white girl. The same company did this to me a few times in a row. Indian man day one, white girl day two.

Does anyone know of any company that does that or am I just one big :tinfoil: ?

Edited for clarity [doing 2 peoples jobs and not mine heh heh]

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
Speaking of accents, I swear some people have gone half deaf in this stupid country. I am from Scotland a part of the United Kingdom, not Australia, not Canada and most certainly not India or Paksitan {yeah I don't know about those last two either. Must be the microphone or the fact that when I've been home I speak rather quickly}, so stop clearly being annoyed that I don't have a neutral English accent from the South {for some reason this little fact pisses off more people from Manchester and Liverpool}. Still, getting people from Glasgow on the phone means I can talk at my normal speed and get through what would otherwise be a 40 minute call in less than 20 minutes without cutting any corners to get there.

We've been doing online outbounds the last few weeks, which I've rather enjoyed because it's something different to do and you get a break in between calling people. We're on normal outbounds next week though, which is a pain because we can't preview the cases before we call people and the targets are a hell of a lot more strict when it comes to down time between calls. It's not normally a problem for me because I spend about 20 minutes before I start in the morning prepping, but it's a pain to have to do.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

How dead-end?

Just in the sense that you can get a steady job operating the switchboard but there's no room to move up in the position

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Racism in general bums me out. My neighborhood used to be terrible, crime, drugs, violence - all the fun things. They all moved out when Australia started accepting Sudanese refugees and began housing them in my suburb of the city. They've added alot of colour to the place, shops and houses are being rebuilt. Their kids are well behaved and their national dress is fantastic. I really appreciate the vibrancy, but all anyone can do is complain about the number of blackies around.

But I'm paid really well to make people happy, not to fix problems. Generally I won't have to deal with too much racism, but even if they are calling me a man loving fag than I still have to try and make them leave with a smile. Not bitter about it, just what Apple wants to do to keep on top of consumer satisfaction.

All in all the woman wasn't too bad, she was really frustrated and in tears over this small problem. Her little tantrum reeked more of frustration than overt racism, similar to my petulant outburst against tier 2. I helped her out as much as I could, gave her Apple's number so she wouldn't have to call Telstra anymore and gave her all the info she needed to get out of her useless and plan and hopefully a better one for an iPhone 4.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
You're not on the southside of Brisbane, are you, Windy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Brendas Baby Daddy posted:

I don't care how many certs the person has if I can't understand what he or she is saying.

Funny story: This one time, I never had a hard time understanding a single person I work with.