Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kelly posted:

Is this really a problem for satellite radio as the article suggests? What would you guys want to hear after recording other than Howard? I can't imagine he is included in this.

If it could double as a Pandora gimmick for music, that wouldn't be terrible, especially if you could manually choose what songs/bands to save. Maybe someone really wants to listen to Rosie's show at another time. Who am I kidding. This is a lovely effort by Sirius to appear relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Joe Don Baker posted:

If it could double as a Pandora gimmick for music, that wouldn't be terrible, especially if you could manually choose what songs/bands to save. Maybe someone really wants to listen to Rosie's show at another time. Who am I kidding. This is a lovely effort by Sirius to appear relevant.

Yeah...that is kind of how I look at it. I wouldn't ever record music via Sirius. I have gigs and gigs of music and iPod and an iPhone. I'm set. I would imagine most other people are like me, too.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Kelly posted:

Is this really a problem for satellite radio as the article suggests? What would you guys want to hear after recording other than Howard? I can't imagine he is included in this.

Not me, but I assume people would want to do it for sporting events?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
They're just trying to compete with the Bubba's RadioIO empire. Hahahahaha

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Joe Don Baker posted:

I am actually really digging this idea and I think it could potentially bring alot of ex-sirius owners back over. Recording shows can be very convenient even if Howard decides to ban this feature. There are plenty of stations that would be ideal for me to listen to at another time - Eddie Trunk on Boneyard and Aphiliates on Shade 45 comes to mind. Plus shows like Ferral, Jay Thomas and of course Stern Shuffle on 101 would be amazing if Howard does decide to limit recording on his channels.

Skipping songs is a fantastic feature that would pretty much hold me in as a customer forever. +1 for Sirius if they actually implement that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dyn posted:

Skipping songs is a fantastic feature that would pretty much hold me in as a customer forever. +1 for Sirius if they actually implement that.

I have to agree with this. I enjoy Lithium quite a bit, but I change the station every time they play one of the really bad one-hit-wonders from the 90s. And they have a bunch of those on the play list.

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
I know I'm late but I can't believe Courtney Cox came on the show, pretty good interview too.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

They're just trying to compete with the Bubba's RadioIO empire. Hahahahaha

They'd have to make everything even shittier than it already is and much much slower. God radioio.com is pure poo poo. Who builds their entire *radio* business on top of Wordpress?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

"musclecoder" posted:

They'd have to make everything even shittier than it already is and much much slower. God radioio.com is pure poo poo. Who builds their entire *radio* business on top of Wordpress?

Someone like Bubba who thinks devs/designers will line up on his doorstep to have the honor of working for him at $40k/yr.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Wasco Jr. posted:

I know I'm late but I can't believe Courtney Cox came on the show, pretty good interview too.

Yeah, she seemed really cool about stuff in general too. Strange how she considers herself an "older" woman. She kept bringing up the age difference, but I think she meant maturity more then physical age. They seem to have a strange relationship, oil and water those two. I'm sure David is a fun guy, but I could see how he would annoy an older woman.

It was great to see both of them being on the show and being open. I can see how she takes things David says and explodes them, for dramatic or comedic effect. Also I'm pretty sure every guy with a hot wife/girlfriend turns everything sexual, it just happens. You can't blame him for that really.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, she seemed really cool about stuff in general too. Strange how she considers herself an "older" woman. She kept bringing up the age difference, but I think she meant maturity more then physical age. They seem to have a strange relationship, oil and water those two. I'm sure David is a fun guy, but I could see how he would annoy an older woman.

It was great to see both of them being on the show and being open. I can see how she takes things David says and explodes them, for dramatic or comedic effect. Also I'm pretty sure every guy with a hot wife/girlfriend turns everything sexual, it just happens. You can't blame him for that really.

yeah but what the gently caress is with her? They started dating and got married like ten years ago, how could she not know what he is like? And he is a really nice, warm guy and also a partier, so she knew what she was getting into. I think it may have been more of a vanity thing for her since he's younger than her.

She was okay on the show, but gently caress her, I hope David goes out and fucks some hot chicks in their twenties.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

chiz posted:

yeah but what the gently caress is with her?...

She explained it pretty well in the interview without being a bitch about it or anything. I actually found it pretty endearing for both of them. They're just two people trying to figure poo poo out and not all full of poo poo about it like every other couple in hollywood.

Most of all, women change a whole bunch when they have kids. Smashing a glass over your head in a jealous fit is a whole different thing when the kids in the next room. ;)

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

She explained it pretty well in the interview without being a bitch about it or anything. I actually found it pretty endearing for both of them. They're just two people trying to figure poo poo out and not all full of poo poo about it like every other couple in hollywood.

Most of all, women change a whole bunch when they have kids. Smashing a glass over your head in a jealous fit is a whole different thing when the kids in the next room. ;)

Yeah but I mean their conversation is one had between a couple after one year, not ten of them.

"I mean what is this"

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

chiz posted:

Yeah but I mean their conversation is one had between a couple after one year, not ten of them.

"I mean what is this"

I don't think it's fair to set some sort of time frame for when couples grow apart and mature at different rates.

I thought the way they communicated with a mediator was really healthy in terms of each one seeing the problems they bring. Then again, I've never experienced a girlfriend/wife having sex with someone on the television or in a movie theater. I'd probably smash my head in with a wine glass too.

Man, she is beautiful.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I can totally see why his personality would be exciting in your 30s and hard to take in your 40s. People change, sounds like she did and he didn't.

Funny thing is, in Scream 4 there is tension in the marriage between their characters. It was actually kind of weird to watch since that was going in real life as well.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Norm talking about Artie

http://splitsider.com/2011/04/norm-macdonald-on-standup-acting-and-artie-lang#more

Banditoh
Aug 13, 2005

I guess I always forget how dark Artie went. Pretty sure everyone in this thread would agree that he was incredible on the show and hope for his return. But jesus, the way he tried to take himself out is just horrific. I hope for Artie back everyday, but from the way Norm and Howard are talking that seems really, really unlikely. And as much as it sucks, the show would do nothing to help Artie.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Banditoh posted:

I guess I always forget how dark Artie went. Pretty sure everyone in this thread would agree that he was incredible on the show and hope for his return. But jesus, the way he tried to take himself out is just horrific. I hope for Artie back everyday, but from the way Norm and Howard are talking that seems really, really unlikely. And as much as it sucks, the show would do nothing to help Artie.

Agreed.

Artie won't be back and I really don't think Howard could handle even an interview, it's just too painful for everyone involved.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
GODDAMN I hate the parody songs that Sal does as soon as a new bit emerges on the show. He gets the original song, turns it down low and then sings stupid, out of tune poo poo over the top. Its so lazy and not at all funny, especially in comparison to the masterpieces that some of the listeners are able to produce.

Also, Tradio calls no longer have to be good so long as Richard calls in as Ethel. The second he goes "hiiii there" I lose it.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

chiz posted:

Agreed.

Artie won't be back and I really don't think Howard could handle even an interview, it's just too painful for everyone involved.

Does anybody here think Artie will ever get back into show business? I know he's been sighted, but given how much has gone on in the public eye I can't imagine he would come back without really making some changes.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

If he stays healthy, if he's out of the "therapy's for faggots" mindset, if he's getting real help, then I bet Art will do something within the next couple years. Probably some limited stand-up engagements or something. He'll probably get some more film and TV work if he gets over that hump.

Mostly I think it would be much easier for him to work in the entertainment industry than working at the post office or going back to the docks or something.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
There's the other side too. He could absolutely do stand-up for ever, but TV and movie producers will be extremely wary of taking on an unpredictable suicidal addict prone to violent outbursts. Especially post-Charlie Sheen. The meager TV gigs he got even at his peak were mostly due to the inevitable Stern plugs. If he got his poo poo together, he could return and make a good living doing road gigs, but he's set himself waaaay back from his ultimate dream of a cush sitcom gig.

This is a great quote too:

quote:

It was a weird spot, because [Artie] was really famous and sold out theaters and his book did well, but it was all Stern fans. A lot of them were Stern fans.
Artie used to always diminish Richard and Sal's standup pointing out exactly this.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Snark posted:

There's the other side too. He could absolutely do stand-up for ever, but TV and movie producers will be extremely wary of taking on an unpredictable suicidal addict prone to violent outbursts. Especially post-Charlie Sheen. The meager TV gigs he got even at his peak were mostly due to the inevitable Stern plugs. If he got his poo poo together, he could return and make a good living doing road gigs, but he's set himself waaaay back from his ultimate dream of a cush sitcom gig.

This is a great quote too:

Artie used to always diminish Richard and Sal's standup pointing out exactly this.

Let's be a little more fair: Artie also got help from Norm MacDonald as well. He had some talent but that was quickly masked by his addictions. The Stern show allowed Artie to be himself and come into his own in a little way, but it also showcased his insecurities and problems. For a man who had a lot of friends in Hollywood, it's very easy to see why a lot of his MadTV crewmates never wanted to deal with him again. It must have been hell to deal with Artie Lange without the benefit of an audience.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Snark posted:

Yeah, but there is still a difference between people going to see Artie and people going to see Ronnie yell "Let's gently caress some whores". Just being on the Stern show doesn't mean you can pack an audience, or Jackie/Will the Farter/Yuckko could have sold out shows. They went because Artie is a stand up, with a good act, who also works on the Stern show.

Sal and Richard's stand up is usually "Hey guys, remember this bit from the show". They are funny on the show, but they are not stand ups.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

oh Sal

NSF ... anything

http://i53.tinypic.com/21uaa.jpg

edit: lol I keep trying to link that but SALR is auto-showing it ...

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, but there is still a difference between people going to see Artie and people going to see Ronnie yell "Let's gently caress some whores". Just being on the Stern show doesn't mean you can pack an audience, or Jackie/Will the Farter/Yuckko could have sold out shows. They went because Artie is a stand up, with a good act, who also works on the Stern show.

Sal and Richard's stand up is usually "Hey guys, remember this bit from the show". They are funny on the show, but they are not stand ups.

Having watched Artie's DVD and been to one of his shows, I can say that he's really not a great standup. He's okay, better than most amateurs, but his pacing is strange and it's like he's going through the motions. Also, the audience doesn't help.

When I went to one of his shows, people cheered like he was Springsteen and went nuts on every act that wasn't him. Yucko, Bob Levy - they chewed through everyone and then when Artie came out to do his 45 minutes it was a lot of referential bits and backstory about the show as well as some original stuff delivered throughout. He seems like a nice guy, and he stayed for another hour to just answer questions from audience members and seemed grateful for the fans, but he's not a fantastic stand up.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

therapy posted:

Having watched Artie's DVD and been to one of his shows, I can say that he's really not a great standup. He's okay, better than most amateurs, but his pacing is strange and it's like he's going through the motions. Also, the audience doesn't help.

When I went to one of his shows, people cheered like he was Springsteen and went nuts on every act that wasn't him. Yucko, Bob Levy - they chewed through everyone and then when Artie came out to do his 45 minutes it was a lot of referential bits and backstory about the show as well as some original stuff delivered throughout. He seems like a nice guy, and he stayed for another hour to just answer questions from audience members and seemed grateful for the fans, but he's not a fantastic stand up.

With Artie, it depends if you're getting him right as he gets onto the show and right after he admits to doing heroin on the show. The former you get all the crazy drug stories that are pretty awesome. But when you get to Jack and Coke and him just not coming in, you get the really sad Artie that somehow realizes it doesn't matter what he says just as long as he's up there for a while. This is why I wonder what he's going to do after he gets straight because his career revolves around him being hosed up in a number of ways.

The only thing I hope he doesn't do is come back all clean and starts going the Jesus route.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The only thing I hope he doesn't do is come back all clean and starts going the Jesus route.

because both of those things are a probability.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Artie has friends in the business and it's not like he wouldn't be a great writer.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

The show is starting with three day weeks this week, right? Will he be in on Monday, or is he taking Thursday off?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Kelly posted:

The show is starting with three day weeks this week, right? Will he be in on Monday, or is he taking Thursday off?

I can't see how he would let his audience start a work week without him, that would be cold.

I wonder if that had an impact on his audience? When he dropped Friday. Working guys need something to listen to, so on Friday they probably bounced around to a replacement show, then just started switching over to that replacement show. If people have to sub two work days now, they would almost be listening to the replacement as much as Howard, and more likely to just stick with the 5 days a week replacement.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

I can't see how he would let his audience start a work week without him, that would be cold.

And stupid. If I know he's not there Monday, how likely am I to remember (or care) that he's back on Tuesday? I'd probably think 'oh another vacation week, don't need to bother listening at all.'

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

chiz posted:

because both of those things are a probability.

Given how many problems he has, he seems ripe for being sucked into 'replacing my addictions with Jesus' role. I hope I'm loving wrong.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Artie has friends in the business and it's not like he wouldn't be a great writer.

Most of Artie's friends (like Norm) also have demons of their own, and Artie has mentioned that the road is a horrible place to be. Didn't he start heroin when back on the road? I thought he mentioned that during the show where he admitted he was on heroin and that's how he started, but between the lies and all of the weirdness I've honestly forgotten.

Smeep posted:

And stupid. If I know he's not there Monday, how likely am I to remember (or care) that he's back on Tuesday? I'd probably think 'oh another vacation week, don't need to bother listening at all.'

I agree. I don't think this 'three days and out' per week thing is going to work out that well at all.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Most of Artie's friends (like Norm) also have demons of their own, and Artie has mentioned that the road is a horrible place to be. Didn't he start heroin when back on the road? I thought he mentioned that during the show where he admitted he was on heroin and that's how he started, but between the lies and all of the weirdness I've honestly forgotten.

I can see how the temptation would be overwhelming for somebody with addiction issues. You're in another bland hotel room and another half-assed comedy club. The sad locals are depending on you to be funny, to help them forget the dreary day-to-day jobs they hate for an hour or two on a Friday night. People have paid real money, they've got babysitters, they're on dates or anniversaries or birthdays, and they're depending on you to make it worthwhile.

Add that pressure to the free drinks and other less legal drugs available, plus sleep deprivation, jet lag, and a bunch of people who have their own issues standing around you trying to find a way to make their existence worthwhile - well, I can see how you would easily get pulled into drugs/drinking again pretty easily.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Having connections in the business makes it 100% easier than trying to break in, regardless of his attempted suicide. I mean, drugs and being hosed up seems par for the course in show business. Some of these people pay for new faces at the doctor and put rehabs on the map.

Not that I'm accusing of every famous person of doing drugs, but that being famous and in the business grants you access on a consistent basis that I'm guessing overdoses and poo poo are common enough not to be considered career breaking.

And if you're Rush Limbaugh, it's not a big deal at all to pop hillbilly heroin.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Smeep posted:

It'd be great if he took Thursdays off so he'd have a two day work week when MLK day and other Monday holidays came along. That would be something.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Smeep posted:

I hadn't thought of it like that, makes sense.

I was on vacation last week and didn't listen to the show - should I assume he didn't confirm anything about this new schedule other than it starts this coming week and it will run every other week?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Robin's spiritual ceremony in Peru is now on Howard TV. It's dumb and crazy and she's dumb and crazy. Holy mackerel

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

I remember the story. He was on the road and asked someone for some Vicodin or which he said took often to help him come down from the show and sleep. The dealer told him, "Man, that poo poo fucks up your liver! Here, try this." and it turned out to be heroin.

He took it that night and said to himself, "Yeah, this is going to be a problem".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

Look what I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJxhZf0vIp8