Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Himuro posted:

gently caress a horse
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "Hot Stallion" minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Himuro posted:

gently caress a horse, I'd ride a motorcycle down that bitch.

You should be like Evel Knievel and ride a motorcycle over it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Like you never kicked the dogs in Bully.
I didn't even know you could. Nobody should ever kick a dog :(

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Where is the mod that adds more pedestrians? That sounds awesome.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Himuro posted:

gently caress a horse, I'd ride a motorcycle down that bitch.

A skateboard to reenact that Simpsons episode with realistic ragdolls.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Let me jump the gently caress over the grand canyon, dammit. Mill Village and Im Da Decider have the right idea.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The best part about the "ridiculous vehicle into the Grand Canyon" scenario is that in a GTA game, as long as you're in a vehicle you never die. So you'd hold on to that skateboard or motorcycle or horse all the way to the bottom, and once you hit you'd walk away unscathed. For all the realism they're adding to the GTA games, I'm glad that cheating death in impossible ways is still in.

Of course, after you made it to the bottom you'd probably have to kill yourself or load a saved game anyway, but still.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

The best part about the "ridiculous vehicle into the Grand Canyon" scenario is that in a GTA game, as long as you're in a vehicle you never die. So you'd hold on to that skateboard or motorcycle or horse all the way to the bottom, and once you hit you'd walk away unscathed. For all the realism they're adding to the GTA games, I'm glad that cheating death in impossible ways is still in.

Of course, after you made it to the bottom you'd probably have to kill yourself or load a saved game anyway, but still.

Unless of course, the game is using GTA4's psyhics, in that case, you'll probably fly out of the windshield once the car lands. I wonder how crumpled the car would look with GTA4's damage system.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I hate that windshield stuff in 4. It's fun for five minutes, but after that it's annoying. Of course, it's always funny when I do it someone else. :colbert:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Where is the mod that adds more pedestrians? That sounds awesome.

This is the only place I could find the most recent version:
http://www.gta.cz/eng/gta4/download/more-liberty-v4

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Starhawk64 posted:

Unless of course, the game is using GTA4's psyhics, in that case, you'll probably fly out of the windshield once the car lands. I wonder how crumpled the car would look with GTA4's damage system.

Speaking of which, did the vehicles have some kind of randomly dynamic damage system? I was pretty amazed at how detailed it was. You could pretty much turn cars into crushed cans with the glitchy swingset trick, compared to previous GTA's where it was perfect fender > dented fender > no fender.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I bought the Classics pack on Steam when it was $7.50 a couple weeks ago, and I'm having trouble with a couple of the games, wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I can't play GTA1 at all, I can get through the menus fine and they look like they should, but when it loads the game world its a graphical mess. Its a little tough to explain, but suffice to say it is quite unplayable. Anything I can do to force windowed mode, or something else that I'm not thinking of? Changing the resolution doesn't help.

Also, I've only loaded it once and then went to sleep a few days ago, but in GTA3 all of the vehicle models don't want to load any of their textures besides the lights and wheels. The entire vehicle body is a bright yellow. Might that just be a reverify files in Steam thing? Or is that a known issue with some setups?

GTA2, VC and SA all run (mostly) fine. VC has some retarded long load times, seemingly randomly.

I'm running Windows XP on a mid-2008 3.06 Ghz C2D iMac with an 8800GS.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Whalley posted:

I don't like the idea of killing someone's pet, even if it's in a videogame. Nobody should like the idea of killing someone's pet.

Then don't. Just like running over pedestrians, you don't have to.

As for the damage system, it's better than in previous GTAs, where the fenders themselves were always pristine, and the only parts that would ever get damaged - and always the same damage - were the hood, doors, trunklid and windows. But it still kinda annoys me because the hood doesn't crumple like it ought to, it just gets shorter. IRL they never change size, they get bent into an inverted V shape - this never happens in GTA 4.

That said, I like to drive around in my tweaked FIB Buffalo, with a mass of 20,000, and see just how much damage I can do to cars. With that mass, plus a little extra speed, I find that sometimes when a car dares to come in my way, it might spontaneously catch fire or explode when I hit it...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Knightmare posted:

Speaking of which, did the vehicles have some kind of randomly dynamic damage system? I was pretty amazed at how detailed it was. You could pretty much turn cars into crushed cans with the glitchy swingset trick, compared to previous GTA's where it was perfect fender > dented fender > no fender.

I'm not sure how their car damage system works, but it does seem to use actual deformation and not just preset model swaps. I recall one or two times when doing the swingset trick I'd end up with a car that was technically still running but I couldn't drive it because the car frame was bent to the point where it was useless.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Does anyone have a GTA IV savegame around the start of the third island?

Tewratomeh posted:

I'm not sure how their car damage system works, but it does seem to use actual deformation and not just preset model swaps. I recall one or two times when doing the swingset trick I'd end up with a car that was technically still running but I couldn't drive it because the car frame was bent to the point where it was useless.

I think there's also a mod somewhere that messes with the settings to let you smash up the cars even worse.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The best car deformations were when you either spawned one on top of a skyscraper and drove off, or used the explosive shotgun in Gay Tony.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tewratomeh posted:

I remember using a firetruck to ram a car up against the wall repeatedly, everytime it caught fire, i just hosed it down, and continued ramming. After a while it was basically a twisted wreck no longer even resembling a car, and when i prompted Nico to get into the wreck, the AI got all confused and just ran in circles around it. :mmmhmm:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Whalley posted:

You know what would be more awesome than horses in a GTA game? Not having horses in a GTA game. Including horses means there's going to be at least one horse chase mission in the storyline and I don't know, that just strikes me as being silly.

Also, I would feel really squeamish accidentally killing a horse in a modern day setting. RDR had animals that you could kill without feeling awkward because it was set in a location and a time period where animals run free and wild across the land. In GTA, no animals would exist that aren't someone's pet. I don't like the idea of killing someone's pet, even if it's in a videogame. Nobody should like the idea of killing someone's pet.

I went out of my way to not kill horses in RDR. Even on that mission later on when you've got a machine gun, I'd try as hard as I could not to kill one :shobon:

SplitSoul posted:

Does anyone have a GTA IV savegame around the start of the third island?

This should sort you out:

http://www.gtavision.com/index.php?section=content&site=114

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

I went out of my way to not kill horses in RDR. Even on that mission later on when you've got a machine gun, I'd try as hard as I could not to kill one :shobon:

Look, you don't know which of those horses will grow up to be Bad Horse, the Thoroughbred of Sin. I killed all horses that bad guys were riding in RDR.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Capn Beeb posted:

Yes but it is inevitable that you will shoot your own horse in the back of the head as you have a gunfight on horseback. So many dead horses :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
At first I did feel bad the first few times that civilians got caught in crossfire because of the way they limp away from you. Then I saw this video, of someone testing executions on civilains in Godfather 2.

I mean, look at 1:43. I don't think I could bring myself to do that to anyone in the game that wasn't the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cage posted:

At first I did feel bad the first few times that civilians got caught in crossfire because of the way they limp away from you. Then I saw this video, of someone testing executions on civilains in Godfather 2.

I mean, look at 1:43. I don't think I could bring myself to do that to anyone in the game that wasn't the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

It's clear how much care and love went into respecting and accurately representing the franchise.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So I started downloading new car models for the first time ever a few days ago. Changing car models was pretty easy, but I just left handling.dat alone.

A few cars are extremely top heavy using the stock numbers so today I tried using the recommended settings that came with the wrx sti that I downloaded.

I think I did something wrong, somewhere.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Cage posted:

So I started downloading new car models for the first time ever a few days ago. Changing car models was pretty easy, but I just left handling.dat alone.

A few cars are extremely top heavy using the stock numbers so today I tried using the recommended settings that came with the wrx sti that I downloaded.

I think I did something wrong, somewhere.

Did you use the new settings for vehicles.ide as well?

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

The only people I kill on purpose are the people who hit me with their cars and don't get out to check if I'm ok

What about that priest outside Nicos flat in Bohan? I would stab him to death every single time I exited the flat. When I drove (or rather "rode") past him in Lost & Damned I even had to get out and stab him. Just couldn't stop myself.

It's not really a spoiler, but I don't want to ruin the move to Bohan for people who haven't played the game yet.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Whalley posted:

I didn't even know you could. Nobody should ever kick a dog :(
To be honest, I did feel bad about the dog. And I probably would about kids too, so it's a good job they never decided to do it.

sirbeefalot posted:

VC has some retarded long load times, seemingly randomly.
I'm not sure about the rest of your problems, but this one is because of the frame limiter. Make sure it's set to "on".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Whalley posted:

I don't like the idea of killing someone's pet, even if it's in a videogame. Nobody should like the idea of killing someone's pet.
I wouldn't mind having birds. It would've added something to have some pigeons fly out of your way during a car chase.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks. That should be useful.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I wouldn't mind having birds. It would've added something to have some pigeons fly out of your way during a car chase.

Yeah but birds aren't animals, they're just flying rear end in a top hat jerks.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a mod that adds more peds? I doubt my PC would like more traffic :v:

What version of the game are you running? For my Steam copy it's:

1) Get car I want, usually from http://www.gta4-mods.com/
2) Extract into it's own folder (D:\Games\GTA4 Mods\Cars for example)
2a) You may need to run a program to _force_ all the files in your GTA4 install to be writable. Sometimes just right clicking on a folder and changing the properties won't take. You can find those programs on gta4-mods.
3) Load SparkIV
4) Point it to my vehicles.img file in GTAIV\pc\models\cdimages
5) Export the vehicle texture and model file I'm going to replace for safe keeping
6) Import the downloaded one, renaming if necessary
7) Rebuild archive
8) Save archive
9) Plug handling, carcols, and vehicles.ide data from readme into their respective files
10) Launch game, spawn car, hold onto butt

An example would be:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/vehicles/1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-454-f7963

This has an archive with chevelle.wft and chevelle.wtx in it. The vehicles.img file can only accept file names that already exist within it, so I renamed them to sabregt.wft and sabregt.wtx. My GTA4 install has 30+ cars now, and TLAD and Gay Tony have slightly fewer.

E:

If you want to add multiple cars, you have to rebuild/save in SparkIV, close it, and repeat the process for each car you add. It gets bitchy when you do more than one car at once.

I just wanted to quote and say THANK YOU. Why is everything else that I read such a mess and this was concise, correct, and easy to read?

Now I need to add a lot more cars. :)

I couldn't find any good Crown Victoria police mods out there, they were all localized to someplace, like "NYPD" or "Kentucky State Police" or "California Patrol". What, really? No LCPD Crown Victorias? I may have to correct this. I'm hoping editing textures isn't too hard.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Crappy Jack posted:

It's clear how much care and love went into respecting and accurately representing the franchise.

Yeah, The Godfather 2 is a good game, but it shouldn't be called "Godfather 2"
With that said, the first game is truly a Godfather game, and I suggest everyone who hasn't tried it yet to check it out. Its great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm just going to have to say that anyone who prefers the driving of the GTA3 era games over GTAIV is a moron. Never once in GTAIV have I been driving along, tapped another car going the same direction I am and then done a 180 in mid air and then land backwards. The cars are slippery and way too light. It seems like the car physics in GTAIII games are designed to make driving annoying and frustrating. Every single accident has me facing the opposite direction I want to go. There hasn't been a case yet where I hit something or slide around and end up facing the way I want to go.

And it seems like I'm constantly fighting the camera to point at what I want it to when stuck in canned animations. CJ jumps out of a car and I try to pan around to see the car I want to get into but the game wants the camera to go left for some reason. So I'm moving my mouse over as fast as I can but the camera won't go anywhere.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

ExtraNoise posted:

I just wanted to quote and say THANK YOU. Why is everything else that I read such a mess and this was concise, correct, and easy to read?

No prob :) As far as editing textures goes I think you can just drop the .wtx file into Photoshop, but I never tried it. Also, keep constant backups of your edited files in case something fucks up so you don't have to start from scratch like I did about a month or so ago :downs: Keeping a notepad document of what cars are what is also handy.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I've got GTAIV on disc, but I've also got it on Steam (I got it as part of a pack at some point).

If I want to play the Steam version so that it has steam functionality, but don't want to have to download the whole game through steam (because it's huge), can I start the install, pause it, install the disc version to that directory and then verify the files or is that a recipe for disaster? (or is there an easier way of doing this?)

Edit: If I've already got the episodes installed, does this just duplicate a lot of the assets and is there any way around this?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Try this guide from the Steam Support page.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That only applies to steamworks games. You can TRY doing what you want to do and it MAY work, but I wouldn't count on it.

But there's no "steam functionality" in any non-steamworks game anyway. You can just install the game, click the add a game button in steam and get the steam overlay.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Ah right cool, ta.

Fake edit: OH JESUS 16 GIGABYTES

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Supply Lines is awesome. It took like three tries to figure out the controls, and then everything suddenly clicked and all the enemies exploded. I tried the follow up (model helicopter) once and had no idea what the hell was going on, but I guess it'll just take a few more tries.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I wanted to replace the Futo and Futo GT, but there doesnt seem to be an entry for them in the vehicle data file. What gives? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cage posted:

That game looks awful enough to make me retroactively hate the first Godfather game, which I thought was pretty decent. It's like someone tried to make a rip-off of a Saint's Row game except they made the setting and everything completely serious.

It's like Manhunt minus any pretext where the executions would actually make sense for the gameplay. At that point the game literally becomes a serial killer simulation. While that's an interesting idea, the fact that it's a Godfather game is just insulting.

• Locked thread