Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
gently caress yes, new Adam Curtis coming soon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/04/_in_order_to_see.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I tried watching 10 O'Clock Live again last night. Good Lord it's bad. Not just "a bit bad" either, proper poo poo-balls-bad. The only redeeming feature is Brooker. David Mitchell comes across as a scared amateur bumbling his way through bad jokes and horrifically embarrassing interviews.

I'm baffled at the love it gets in here.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mitchell and Brooker are the ur-Goons. Simple as that.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Brainwrong posted:

I tried watching 10 O'Clock Live again last night. Good Lord it's bad. Not just "a bit bad" either, proper poo poo-balls-bad. The only redeeming feature is Brooker. David Mitchell comes across as a scared amateur bumbling his way through bad jokes and horrifically embarrassing interviews.

Im going to watch the episode you speak of on 4od right now, after I get back from the offie; in advance i'll say that while the show has been far from perfect, Carr's dress up bits are the most embarrassing, I like it loads. So it remains to be seen how dreadful this episode is. Will report back on my dumb opinion.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Brainwrong posted:

David Mitchell comes across as a scared amateur

That's just his normal facial expression! He's been getting steadily better at interviews and "Listen to Mitchell" is usually way better than last night's.

I'd say the only really weak link is Jimmy Carr, but maybe we've all just lowered our standards because despite the simple format there's nothing else like it on TV right now.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It needs to be the 10 O'Clock show without Jimmy Carr. He's redundant and not very funny.

Brooker has the biting analytical satire, Mitchell has the ability to converse with people without it sounding awkward (You Have Been Watching is evidence that brooker can't really do this well) and Lavern is the person who will stop them rambling on during table segments and keep everything well contained like the professional presenter she is.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Mitchell has the ability to converse with people without it sounding awkward
Yes but Jimmy Carr was quite a bit better at one-to-one interviews from the few weeks they let him do them and why they relegated him to feed-line-punch-line mannequin is beyond me.

If they get another series and are dead set on keeping the same line-up, then let Brooker do the culture rants, have Mitchell do the round table debates and political rants, Carr does the one-on-one interviews and opening monologue and Laverne doing the "proper" presenting and the occasional VT. And for gently caress's sake don't do it live. It's fifteen weeks later and still none of you can get through a single segment without tripping over a word. You are BAD at it stop trying you massive tongued fuckers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought we'd all been pretty harsh on 10oCL tbh. Everyone's been complaining about bits of it since week 1.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
The only bad thing about 10oCL is Lauren Laverne. She is so god drat unfunny.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Brainwrong posted:

Watched it as promised, thought it was good. I dunno where the dislike comes from. Its not perfect but its better than 99% of the cack surely?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone checking out this Rock and Chips thing on iPlayer? the cheeky Liar from Inbetweeners is playing a a young sixties Mod and it hilariously fits.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Graviton v2 posted:

Watched it as promised, thought it was good. I dunno where the dislike comes from. Its not perfect but its better than 99% of the cack surely?

I think the problem is that they tried to bill it as a brilliant late night satirical look at politics and the news, and while it has its funny moments, its really not that great at actual satire.

Also I watch The Colbert Report (:911:/:britain: citizen :smug:) and can't help comparing the two which is unfair as different types of audience and show.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
With a few different hosts and some freedom of expression it COULD be utterly brutal, but in doing so it would clearly pick a side. Channel 4 would then have to endorse it picking a side, and I very much doubt they're ready to do that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And the dropping of the live audience.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

goatface posted:

With a few different hosts and some freedom of expression it COULD be utterly brutal, but in doing so it would clearly pick a side. Channel 4 would then have to endorse it picking a side, and I very much doubt they're ready to do that.

Channel 4 receive a chunk of license money for public service broadcasting, which means they have to remain politically neutral or receive a butt-loving.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anyone checking out this Rock and Chips thing on iPlayer? the cheeky Liar from Inbetweeners is playing a a young sixties Mod and it hilariously fits.

You know it's a Only Fools and Horses prequel right?

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Did anyone watch the Graham Norton Show today? It was loving HILARIOUS.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Zorba the Greek posted:

Did anyone watch the Graham Norton Show today? It was loving HILARIOUS.

I've had BBC1 switched off all day because no matter what there was some kind of wedding related thing being barfed at me.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
The Graham Norton show is best when it's all Brits who aren't totally worried about their "image". Adele, Jack Whitehall, and Miranda Hart all sort of don't care how they come across and are just there to have a good time. It's when Americans come on or up-tight Brits and they refuse to just chill. It was an awesome episode tonight. Adele drunk seems like she'd be a lot of fun to hang out with.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

I've had BBC1 switched off all day because no matter what there was some kind of wedding related thing being barfed at me.

Every news item on the BBC online front page is wedding related. All five of them. Nothing else of interest has happened in the last 24 hours.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

You know it's a Only Fools and Horses prequel right?

gently caress me.

It is good and I'm enjoying it too. I thought I heard the last name Trotter before.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

goatface posted:

Every news item on the BBC online front page is wedding related. All five of them. Nothing else of interest has happened in the last 24 hours.

I was glad to see libya is all sorted now :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A5H posted:

I was glad to see libya is all sorted now :)

I'm having hilarious images of gruff looking African Mercenaries and the Freedom Fighters putting down all their guns and having a cry around on a black and white telly in the middle of a city centre watching some footage loop.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Flatscan posted:

Channel 4 receive a chunk of license money for public service broadcasting, which means they have to remain politically neutral or receive a butt-loving.

Channel 4 get none of the licence fee.
And all the TV channels are required to stay politically neutral, not just them (and the BBC).

edit - http://help.channel4.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=118,E=0000000000024285445,K=5344,Sxi=0,VARSET_PA=About_Us,PROBLEM=489,CASE=619

Cerv fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 30, 2011

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cerv posted:

Channel 4 get none of the licence fee.
And all the TV channels are required to stay politically neutral, not just them (and the BBC).

edit - http://help.channel4.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=118,E=0000000000024285445,K=5344,Sxi=0,VARSET_PA=About_Us,PROBLEM=489,CASE=619

My bad, they were meant to be getting 14million from the license fee for six years but it got pulled at the last minute due to the EU throwing a fit.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Sorry if this has been already posted in this thread, but this is a thing that is happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm8vDlj7jaU

Its either going to be amazing or utter poo poo.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Flatscan posted:

My bad, they were meant to be getting 14million from the license fee for six years but it got pulled at the last minute due to the EU throwing a fit.

It seems to get proposed in some form every couple of years before getting buried when everyone realised it's a terrible idea.
Although S4C already get a bunch of BBC Wales produced programmes for free, so indirectly are getting some of the licence cash, and from 2013 will start being funded in part directly from the Beeb's budget. So the purity of the licence fee is already tainted with the touch of, eww, other channels.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

LE0N posted:

Sorry if this has been already posted in this thread, but this is a thing that is happening

Oh my God.

Yeah I think you've assessed it quite accurately. It is definitely a thing, and worth keeping track of if only for the trainwreck potential.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

LE0N posted:

Mein Christ

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

cloudchamber posted:

gently caress yes, new Adam Curtis coming soon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/04/_in_order_to_see.html

Yes! This plus the new Comedy Vehicle means there are things to look forward to.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Zorba the Greek posted:

The only bad thing about 10oCL is Lauren Laverne. She is so god drat unfunny.

I've found she can be quite funny but her timing is terrible. She works a lot better on radio where it's just her.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

LE0N posted:

Ergh. Channel 4 has commissioned a series similar to The Only Way is Essex called Chelsea Girls:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s143/the-only-way-is-essex/news/a304340/e4-orders-chelsea-girls-series.html

I saw a trail for it the other day, looked pretty repulsive but in a way that I won't be able to stop watching.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

wickles posted:

Yes! This plus the new Comedy Vehicle means there are things to look forward to.

And Psychoville :)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Mickolution posted:

And The Thick of It, maybe, one day...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mickolution posted:

I honestly can't wait to see how hosed up things will get in the 2nd series. I will still miss the cast of the first though :(.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is this new series of Doctor Who still all about him pratting around Earth with Earth related dramas? Or is this heavy US infusion supposed to be some kind of pathetic attempt to address this by aking it feel "alien" to the typical it's all in Britain thing.

Fake edit: Ugh, this is retarded. They've gone and said that there are these alien things that vanish from your memory the moment you see them, but the characters have been leaving tally marks on themselves to remind them of the times they've seen one. The only thing is, they keep on doing it on their loving face. How the hell do they even do that? :psyduck:

real edit: Can't believe i sat through all of that. What utter gash it was.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 30, 2011

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Kin posted:

Is this new series of Doctor Who still all about him pratting around Earth with Earth related dramas? Or is this heavy US infusion supposed to be some kind of pathetic attempt to address this by aking it feel "alien" to the typical it's all in Britain thing.

Fake edit: Ugh, this is retarded. They've gone and said that there are these alien things that vanish from your memory the moment you see them, but the characters have been leaving tally marks on themselves to remind them of the times they've seen one. The only thing is, they keep on doing it on their loving face. How the hell do they even do that? :psyduck:

real edit: Can't believe i sat through all of that. What utter gash it was.

With a mirror? When they appeared on Amy in the attic she was looking at her reflection in the window before and after.
It's the why not the how that bothers me. Neatly on the back of your hand/arm so you can easily count when it's changed? No, in a mess all over your face.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cerv posted:

With a mirror? When they appeared on Amy in the attic she was looking at her reflection in the window before and after.
It's the why not the how that bothers me. Neatly on the back of your hand/arm so you can easily count when it's changed? No, in a mess all over your face.

Yeah, so, these are enemies you have to be looking at to see lest you instantly forget them, so you need to be simultaneously looking at them while looking at yourself in a mirror to neatly draw a mark on your face. How is that possible?

Why even look away from them in the first place? What i took from that lovely scene was that she was constantly looking at the same one but was a bit touched in the head because she kept looking away to draw a retarded mark on her face (despite that not supposedly being able to work according to how the show depicted the alien powers) then turning back to see it again, then turning away to draw another stupid mark on her face and so on.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin, dude, it's obvious you didn't like tonight's episode of Doctor Who, but do you really need to simultaneously poo poo up two separate threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

He reminds me of those people that complained in the old Dr Who thread about the Christmas episode being unrealistic because fish can't actually fly and the explanation in the episode for how they do doesn't hold up.

If you're getting bogged down in details like that, then Doctor Who just isn't for you I'm afraid.