Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

dancehall posted:

It's probably the jack. Does the crackling go away or change if you jam the plug in and out a few times? If so go get the jack replaced at a repair shop.

Nope. Like I said, it happened today with nothing plugged in at all, let alone changing or wiggling the jack. I feel like it must be something with the tubes, since it started today after less than 30 seconds, I.E. after the tubes had had a brief time to warm up. The longer I let it sit and "cool down", the longer it would go without crackling, but never more than about half a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I guess I can put this here

Just finished putting this sum-bitch together tonight.

It's my entry into the TDPRI forums build-off for this year.
The whole build is documented here:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/2011-tdpri-tele-build-challenge/263913-thumposauruss-2011-tdpri-tele-build-challenge.html

Still need to do a proper set up and take some height off the nut/polish it but I did rock it out for about an hour :feelsgood:

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

Squier Jagmaster.

Played one at a local shop and was actually really surprised by how well it was built. Alder body and a Maple neck with a rosewood fretboard it's pretty much exactly like a higher priced Fender but with lovely electronics/hardware. Picked it up used for $164. Only cosmetic issue is a chip in the paint on the back of the body but I could care less.

Having just switched over from bass to guitar for my start up band i just needed something cheap, wouldn't fall apart on me, and gave me the ability to upgrade the electronics in the future.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

Thumposaurus posted:

I really like the stain you did. Not a fan of the paired saddles...btw your A string is too far from the D down there.

Nothing better than your own custom-built guitar.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Barn Door posted:

I really like the stain you did. Not a fan of the paired saddles...btw your A string is too far from the D down there.

Nothing better than your own custom-built guitar.

I'm not too sold on the saddles either but it's a Tele thing. I hand made the bridge so I can always make up another one if I want to switch it to 6 saddles.

I need to file some notches into the saddle to fix the bridge spacing.
I'll take care of that tomorrow when I take the strings off to finalize the nut.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Mid-late March people around Europe started spotting unexpected price-cuts on the MPC1000, a Scandinavian chain of music stores waited until early this week for theirs, just in time for me to say "No" to buying an MPC 500 for just a little less.

It cost me 3995 SEK, it's 440€ or $664 US new for this BK unexpanded model, used to be 5400 SEK which is closer to $900 US. The RAM expansion was taken care of by a spending a fiver on an old PC133 256mb CL3 SODIMM, loving score!

Sampled bits out of an Eartha Kitt LP as the first thing I did, quick to learn, going to take a while to master, unexpectedly fun!

(Also going to serve as my master sequencer and sampler "and piss people off on mumble/ventrilo" soundboard)

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Here we go...

M-Audio FastTrack USB

Simmons SDK9 Electronic Drums

Fender Frontman 25W Amp

Simmons 50W Drum Amp

Nady SP33 Mic

Epiphone SG G-400

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The weather was finally nice enough that we could get some shots of my Warmoth:

Solid Black Korina body, Purpleheart fret board on a mahogany neck, all-gold hardware, and pickups by MJS Pickups, a hum in the bridge and a P90 in the neck (with a hum cover to make 'em match). Plays beautifully and sounds gorgeous. Tuned to Open C the bridge with distortion is thick and crunchy, and the neck played clean with a bit of delay is liquid-smooth.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Guzwar posted:

Solid Black Korina body, Purpleheart fret board on a mahogany neck, all-gold hardware, and pickups by MJS Pickups, a hum in the bridge and a P90 in the neck (with a hum cover to make 'em match). Plays beautifully and sounds gorgeous. Tuned to Open C the bridge with distortion is thick and crunchy, and the neck played clean with a bit of delay is liquid-smooth.

SO badass

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Oh god another dobro :doh:

I found this really nice Wechter Scheerhorn model on a dobro classifieds and since it was the model I originally wanted to buy I snagged it up.

The new one is a post and baffle designed and personally set up by Tim Scheerhorn. My Beard model uses a traditional soundwell under the cone and sounds good, but the open body with the polycarbonate baffle directing sound out sounds so sweet and airy but really punchy when I open it up. The F holes actually make a huge difference too. Couple the lack of heavy wooden soundwell with the narrower neck and snakehead peghead and it weighs almost half as much. Bonus is the new one has a Schertler pickup installed and wooden inlaid fret markers. :woop:
:fap: oh god that mahagony

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
That is one godawfully ugly headstock for such a fine instrument

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

Schlieren posted:

That is one godawfully ugly headstock for such a fine instrument
The one on the right or left?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

The wife got me an Agile AL-2000 for our anniversary

The lovely lady with bows on (the guitar, not the wife)

Up on the wall

With her sisters

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Brick Card posted:

The one on the right or left?

The Wechter Scheerhorn; whatever, it's just personal preference but that pointy thing just doesn't do it for me and it really seems out of place on something that looks as "old-timey" as that, to me at least...

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

'72 Thinline Reissue

Fender G-DEC 15 Amp, tons of a fun for a newbie like me

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Guzwar posted:

Ffffffffuuuuuuuu- gotta change my pants, brb.
Also, Yay another lefty Explorer lover! Woo!

Also, hunter x az, love your SG 400. I think you've convinced me to upgrade from the 310.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Guzwar posted:

I've been thinking about going to a P90 neck and humbucker bridge in my semi-hollow. Have you run into any issues with this configuration? It sounds like a great way to go.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Works great on my Xaviere.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-585-Chambered-Carved-Mahogany-Solidbody-Alnico-GFS-Pickups_c_223.html

Which is, yes, a semi-hollow. Thing is, you can't shield the P90 so much, because of the semi-hollow body, but other than that? Strange, strange guitar, but it does exactly what you think it would and does it well.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

A $29 bass synthesizer!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Whoa! How controllable is it over MIDI?

scheissmacht
Oct 23, 2000

Thumposaurus posted:

I guess I can put this here

Just finished putting this sum-bitch together tonight.

It's my entry into the TDPRI forums build-off for this year.
The whole build is documented here:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/2011-tdpri-tele-build-challenge/263913-thumposauruss-2011-tdpri-tele-build-challenge.html

Still need to do a proper set up and take some height off the nut/polish it but I did rock it out for about an hour :feelsgood:

whaaaat, that thing is awesome!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Whoa! How controllable is it over MIDI?

Pin 4 and 5 of a midi cable are enough for control. Velocity controls glide on/off, CC data handles resonance, cutoff and the lot. Gonna get my thumb out and make a little house for it to sit in today.

e: Some cursing and soldering later, it's up and running and not bad for what it is, and it is a micro-computer running a mono synthesizer. Don't know how long I'll keep this toy, would rather have a Freebass 383 or MB33 if I want cheap 303. Default MPC 1000 OS has no CC sending so f that, free JJOS has no CC so f that (though it is preferable over AKAI OS), buying JJOS requires paypal, motherf that. Ended up using it as a bass module with my Kurzweil PC1X for CC ontrols, unwieldy and painful and really not made for tweaking while playing the slightest, but I could see it working.

My original idea was to put this into a RockBand 3 keytar, but they're like $20 over there and full price over here.

e: Gave it a cute little box for safer keeping

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 4, 2011

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

scheissmacht posted:

whaaaat, that thing is awesome!

I sent you an email about it, dick.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The Leck posted:

I've been thinking about going to a P90 neck and humbucker bridge in my semi-hollow. Have you run into any issues with this configuration? It sounds like a great way to go.

I've never played a semi-hollow before, so I can't say what, if any, trouble that configuration might give you. But mine has been working great so far. Distortion on the neck isn't anything to write home about, but it might be a case of fiddling with the amp settings to get something... better? I can't say that that's even the word I'm looking for; I have the back hum for distortion and big chords, and the neck single for clean, mellow stuff.

Warcabbit's seems to work fine, so *thubms up* if you want to go for it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've got P90's in my Hagstrom Viking and it kicks rear end for any non-metal rock sound. Clear, chiming cleans and crunchy overdrive.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Been considering one of these S-D P-Rails in my SG's neck slot. Anyone played around with one?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rt4 posted:

I've got P90's in my Hagstrom Viking and it kicks rear end for any non-metal rock sound. Clear, chiming cleans and crunchy overdrive.

How happy are you with your Hagstrom? My family name is similar to the name on the headstock and I've always wanted one based on the similarity, but the relative rarity of the brand + few reviews online leave me wary. It sounds like the brand name has been passed around a bit over the years.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I saw a good price on Ebay and ordered it blindly because it sounded good on paper. None of the music stores in my area seem to sell a decent semihollow for less than $2k, so I didn't have much choice.

Well, the stock pickups are horrible. Muddy, dark, and numb. But, I don't really like humbuckers at all anyway, so I replaced them with some bright sounding P90's. The tuners also don't seem too great. It plays really well though and with new pickups and (in the near future) new tuners, it seems about perfect to me, especially since I was able to get it for $550. Everyone likes how it looks too. Also, it has incredible sustain, which surprised me a bit.

Grumbletweaser
Oct 11, 2004

My life has pretty much just been one long gimmick.

meatcookie posted:

Been considering one of these S-D P-Rails in my SG's neck slot. Anyone played around with one?

I use them on my PRS SE Custom 24 and love them. I would caution that as single coils they can sound a little too fat (they are very hot single coils) and as humbuckers they can sound a little too punchy. It's not really bad though, just slightly different from what you might expect out of a stand-alone humbucker or p-90. They still sound great, and you just can't beat that kind of versatility. If you do get a pair if these, I recommend getting some triple shot mounting rings with them so you can take full advantage of the range of options. Push-pull coil taps are ok, but I really like being able to switch the pickups independently of one another so I can experiment with different combinations.

Hope that helps!

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Grumbletweaser posted:

I use them on my PRS SE Custom 24 and love them. I would caution that as single coils they can sound a little too fat (they are very hot single coils) and as humbuckers they can sound a little too punchy. It's not really bad though, just slightly different from what you might expect out of a stand-alone humbucker or p-90. They still sound great, and you just can't beat that kind of versatility. If you do get a pair if these, I recommend getting some triple shot mounting rings with them so you can take full advantage of the range of options. Push-pull coil taps are ok, but I really like being able to switch the pickups independently of one another so I can experiment with different combinations.

Hope that helps!

That helps tons, thanks much!

GLC
Feb 21, 2001
Between that Explorer and the Tele build, I think I've been inspired to start work on a new guitar soon.

Decisions, decisions.

Loquitor
Dec 29, 2007
non res ipsa loquitor

Mmmmm. Fender Japan 62 reissue Stratocaster, American pickups, Alder body. About twenty yeas old, and just starting to get that nice greenish tinge to the pickguard (photo under fluorescents totally doesn't show it though).

Its a bit beaten up, but it feels and sounds lovely. And compared to my Mahogany SG, I'd say it feels a little lighter, or better balanced maybe.

Really happy with it so far, and wish I hadn't waited so long to get one.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Brettbot posted:

'90s Ampeg Jet II Reissue (J-12R).

Well, changing the tubes worked. And this thing sounds fantastic. The reverb tank is awesome, sounds much bigger than it is, and with my Duo-Sonic with single-coils you get some fantastic surf sounds out of it. $200 was a steal.

Eyevanooze
Oct 21, 2010
My neighbor died recently and their family had an estate sale.

Can anyone help ID it? I know its a Teisco or Silvertone or something. I got it for $50 :D

And can anyone help me find a replacement bridge? Or should I just install a TOM or something?

And at the thrift store I found this old PA head for :10bux:

I was surprised that it (barely) works. The sound is super distorted, the bass and mids knobs make the unit feedback like crazy if they're above one. The pots are all pretty scratchy. But besides that it does sound pretty awesome. I can't find ANY information about the head at all.

Eyevanooze fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 8, 2011

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick
Hell yeah Teisco buddies. Based on this website, it looks like a Teisco VN-2. I've got an E-110 that I keep tuned to Eb. Great clean tones, but any amount of overdrive and it turns into an absolute drone. I fell in love with weird old guitars last fall when I bought it and a Danelectro 59DC. My next purchase is probably going to be a Gibson Marauder or something equally uncommon.

Eyevanooze
Oct 21, 2010
Would you suggest putting a TOM on it or trying to find a replacement? Being able to intonate would be pretty awesome.

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick
Honestly, I don't know. Everything on mine is still stock. I would guess a TOM would be your best bet considering that all replacement bridges are basically a giant bolt and don't offer much in the way of intonation. Example

Also, have fun with the little string bar thing on the headstock. It makes changing the strings far more annoying than it should be. Though I suppose you could just remove it. But what would be the fun of that?

Wikkee!
Oct 17, 2006

P.S. : Shut up, Dan.
I just bought this at a pawn shop...

...for $20. Seriously! It works like a dream and it's in mint condition, they told me it was priced so low because "there's no market" for EQ pedals.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

That's because people don't know better, everybody need an EQ or two!

YES, THAT MEANS YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MrLonghair posted:

That's because people don't know better, everybody need an EQ or two!

YES, THAT MEANS YOU.

More accurately, they don't know how to use one.