Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Did a compression test and adjusted the valves on my 260Z. The compression test was going along just great, all between 135 and 140, until I got to cyclinder 6, which blew a 90.:what: So, I decided I needed to jump into my first ever valve job that wasn't a high performance single cylinder motor. Did it hot, and got it done in half an hour. Now I just need to check the compression again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

[wrong thread]

eames fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 7, 2011

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gently caress YOU to the lovely leaking wastegate actuator. It's held on to the turbo by two bolts, and a c-clip to the actual wastegate. Removing these requires removing the manifold bolts to pull it out and get clearance to loosen them, which requires pulling the radiator/intercooler; roughly a 5 hour job all told. Ditto the leaking coolant lines to the turbo, putting on new banjo fitting gaskets is the worst job. Apparently I'm lucky, most Mazdaspeed Proteges have those issues before the 8yr/83k mile mark that mine made it to. After this, wiring up my boost gauge when I get it ought to be a breeze.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Valve adjustment cleared up my low compression on #6, now it has the highest compression of them all, but not by much. A pile of parts came in this morning, so I tore of my old exhaust and header, and installed my sexy new 6-1 header. The Z sounds insane with just a header on, unfortunately it goes into the shop on Tuesday to have a new exhaust made.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Bought another set of wheels.

I've always loved the original RS6 wheel and this 19" set popped up on Audizine for $375. One has a very minor bend in the outer lip which I can fix with a rubber mallet and a block of wood. That one is also the only one that has any curb rash, but I'm going to get all four refinished anyway. And then I'll put them in a corner of my garage until next year, since my new Rotiforms have only been on the car for about 3k miles. For the price I paid for these, I am very pleased with their condition. I was expecting much worse.

Not my wagon, but these wheels:

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 30, 2011

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Thought I was going to be doing a simple brake pad swap. I knew the rotors had some grooves and really should be replaced, but I was going to try and put it off until I had a bit more money.

Wait, why do the new pads have so much overhang? Checked the old pads, sure enough, about 7/8 of the pad was worn away with a huge lip remaining.

I'm still trying to figure out what car these rotors were supposed to go on. But some of the cash I budgeted for my summer tuition has now been invested in two rotors from Napa.

Not a huge (size) difference, but they're definitely different sizes.

I swear every time I try to do anything on this car, I wind up having to do 3 or 4 things instead. :argh: former owner :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 30, 2011

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

DropShadow posted:

Not my wagon, but these wheels:

Wow that looks exceptional.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
New custom seat covers for my 1990 miata. New leather shift knob, ebrake book and slightly out of the camera Nardi shift knob. Steering wheel is next.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Blackdawgg posted:

New custom seat covers for my 1990 miata. New leather shift knob, ebrake book and slightly out of the camera Nardi shift knob. Steering wheel is next.

Where did you get the seat work done and how much did it run you if you dont mind me asking? Im about to have to do the same on a 2001 with tan leather and the seats look drat expensive to get used ones in good shape.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

Sadi posted:

Where did you get the seat work done and how much did it run you if you dont mind me asking? Im about to have to do the same on a 2001 with tan leather and the seats look drat expensive to get used ones in good shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZD...sQ5fAccessories

You can get them in all manner of colors and inserts.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

It's been about 14 months since my last cabin air filter change, so I took care of that. Nothing quite as fun as taking apart your dashboard in a commuter parking lot where old people from the home go for their evening constitutionals (hint: they do not like us drat kids and our cars).

I also enjoy the fact that it costs me about $14 and half an hour, instead of $90 and leaving my car at a dealership all day long. Also, not only do I get a new filter, I also get a lysol-fresh scent out of my vents for a couple days, since I figure I might as well try to do something about mold in the air system while I have the filter out.

But wait, that's not all! I haven't looked at or otherwise checked my washer fluid tank since the last time I had an oil change done for me (January of 2010). The light's been coming on as I go around freeway ramps, so why not fix it? Fun fact: a B15 Nissan Sentra is good for about three liters of washer fluid if it's thirsty.

Next on my list: in the next few weeks, the exhaust header I bought over a year ago finally goes on the car. It's AI to have unused parts crapping up your living room, right?

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

DropShadow posted:

This pic reminded me of how much I miss my A6 wagon :( great wheels though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Blackdawgg posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZD...sQ5fAccessories

You can get them in all manner of colors and inserts.

How do they feel as far a fake leather. There photos and theirs make them look pretty good but how do they feel?

doogle
May 24, 2003

This weekend I fixed my 02 wrx wagon because whoever had it before me had terrible taste.

De-hazed the headlights
put a stockish grill on
put the stock scoop on
amber side markers instead of some carbon fiber stickers (not shown on the before picture)

I ripped the fiber glass lip off when I bought it, thats why the bumper is rubbed to the plastic. After I do the timing belt and cobb stage 2 stuff I'll probably get it painted.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Took it for its first spirited drive since fitting new rear bushes & sway bar. I can now break the rear of my lovely FWD econobox free at will. :mmmhmm:

Seriously though it's amazing, I can just wind the steering on tighter and tighter and the front just bites, then when you really start taking the piss there's this long slooooow rumbling as the rears start to break traction. Should have done this sooner.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

Sadi posted:

How do they feel as far a fake leather. There photos and theirs make them look pretty good but how do they feel?

They feel really good for the price. You can tell they're not real leather. But I like it a lot compared to the stock cloth seats.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Suspension job on my E36 this weekend:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Debadged over the weekend.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Sorted out my poo poo pile of parts for the three projects. Holy poo poo the garage is full.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 2, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Crustashio posted:

You also put on new rotors and pads, right?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Crustashio posted:

Which version are the Bilsteins? I have sports on my car and love them.

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010
Attempted to take off the decals on my car, it needs paint and so much more. This weekend the battery died and wants to explode when I give it a jump.

Before (wrong side but gets the idea across)

after. i dont know how to get it off the rubber nose and bumper though.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

z3bracak3 posted:

Attempted to take off the decals on my car, it needs paint and so much more. This weekend the battery died and wants to explode when I give it a jump.

Before (wrong side but gets the idea across)

after. i dont know how to get it off the rubber nose and bumper though.

Have you tried a hair dryer or (very carefully) a heat gun?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

z3bracak3 posted:

i dont know how to get it off the rubber nose and bumper though.

I don't know how this works for the rest of AI but my personal rules:
  • Anything over 10 years old does not get debadged.

Give that G Body her life back, you bastard.

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010

wav3form posted:

Have you tried a hair dryer or (very carefully) a heat gun?
I use a heat gun on the metal parts, but when it comes down to the rubber bumper peeling off the stripe takes away all the paint; I gotta ask a relative who runs a body shop at this point.

Viggen posted:

I don't know how this works for the rest of AI but my personal rules:
  • Anything over 10 years old does not get debadged.

Give that G Body her life back, you bastard.
I'm trying :ohdear: I have to take the stripes off so when I get my poo poo together it'll be repainted and I'll buy a new stripe kit. The stripes don't really have color anymore. So much needs to be done to it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Geirskogul posted:

You also put on new rotors and pads, right?

They'll be another weekend. You're mostly seeing canadian rust though, but they are a bit grooved.

Billy Tully posted:

Which version are the Bilsteins? I have sports on my car and love them.

They're the HDs. Supposedly the same damping as the sports, just meant for stockish springs, H&R OE Sports in my case. Considering my rear coils were broken in 3 places it rides at about the same height as before.

The change is pretty ridiculous condsidering the shocks I took off have almost no bound/rebound anymore. The car feels FLAT through the corners, and should be really good with some new summer rubber. I don't plan on keeping the car past the summer but it will make for a fun few months.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Installed a new winch bar!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ferremit posted:

Installed a new winch bar!

That's damned pretty. Now replace your hood struts.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Oil change and sample to send to Blackstone.

Next up: brakes.

I'm thinking ceramics (Hawk HPC) with solid rear and cross drilled front rotors... Thoughts?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

Prop rods last forever.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

meatpimp posted:

I don't think those are hood props, one looks like an antennae, the other is possibly something to do with the tent on the roof.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

I don't think those are hood props, one looks like an antennae, the other is possibly something to do with the tent on the roof.

Both would be antennaes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Both would be antennaes.

My bad. Carry on.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Helped a couple of my buddies replace my clutch, rear diff fluid, and my transmission fluid.

Helped meaning sat around drank beer and handed them tools when needed. I guess I did bench press the transmission a few times when it needed to be raised back into position.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Shovelled the winter's worth of gravel out of the driver's footwell, then re-arranged the several kilograms of fine dust on every surface. Not cleaning the inside of my car since September made even the cursory cleaning I did today a dramatic event.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Pulled the sump and knocked out the #2 piston from my mates 80 series turbo diesel.

Cranks gonna need to be ground :(

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
So here's the latest pic of the side-view mirror swap with puddle lights. Today I changed out the incandescent side markers and eye-lids to LEDs that matches the Bi-xenon headlight color.. Now I've just got to figure out what to do about my incandescent fog lights. I'm thinking I'll update them to the 2011+ LED DRL strip.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Changed the oil in our 2008 jetta. I used a new oil drain pan. It had a hole in the bottom and pissed oil all over the driveway. That was great. Also, whoever last changed the oil at the dealership tightened that awful plastic filter canister down to about a million ft-lbs. It took two hands, pulling on the socket wrench as hard as I could to loosen it. It was so tight I googled the procedure mid-yanking just to verify it wasn't reverse threaded or something. The filter wrench was stuck on so badly afterwards that it took beating with a hammer and prying with a screwdriver to get it off.

Good times. :shepface: Beats paying the dealer 80-90 bucks, though.

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 9, 2011

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Timmy Cruise posted:

Next up: brakes.

I'm thinking ceramics (Hawk HPC) with solid rear and cross drilled front rotors... Thoughts?

No experience with those pads, but drilled rotors get a thumbs-down. They look cool, but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Man I wish I had someone with me to take pictures of my Seafoam adventure yesterday. I was way out in the country at my mom's house so I Seafoamed my 01 Integra with 170k miles. I got the big satisfying cloud of smoke after getting it started and there was still a little smoke after idling for a bit but I figured it was almost done so I left. After getting out to the paved road I floored it and Holy gently caress! The only thing I could see in the mirror for half a mile was smoke and the faintest outline of an SUV behind me. Whoops!