Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
wait a second, then what the gently caress is the point of itch if you can map midi to ssl.

why does serato have two different products that do essentially the same exact thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Professorbx posted:

I would actually not get the 57. The new one is right around the corner, and you can get the SL2 for $499 now. They work fine with OSX-based i3/5/7's (should have sad that, sorry!). At first I was all about having everything all in one, but now, honestly, I like the freedom of switching more. If something better for my needs comes out I don't want to be stuck, and if my mixer breaks I don't want to be screwed either.

If you do decide to get a 57, you can map MIDI controllers to SSL no problem. Our SCS3d's have a pretty solid mapping, and I THINK that the Denon single deck controllers do as well. Or you can always just rock internal mode and the hot cues.

Do you happen to have any ideas as to how soon the new Serato mixer will come out? I'd rather not wait a couple of months because I'm a pretty impatient dude, but if it's like in 2 or 3 weeks I'll hold off. I thought the 68 was their newest mixer, but I don't know how recently they announced it and started shipping it out.

I've been considering getting an SL2 and another mixer instead of Serato, but I'm worried I'll be missing out on all the compatibility and features that Serato with ttm57 offers. Are there any good SL2+Mixer combinations that wouldn't break $1500, where I wouldn't have to worry about losing alot of features and all that fun stuff? Man maybe I should just get an NS7 or something. I really want some tables and Serato though.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 29, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

beeps-a-palooza posted:

wait a second, then what the gently caress is the point of itch if you can map midi to ssl.

why does serato have two different products that do essentially the same exact thing

Because Serato is stupid

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

The Dark Wind posted:

Do you happen to have any ideas as to how soon the new Serato mixer will come out? I'd rather not wait a couple of months because I'm a pretty impatient dude, but if it's like in 2 or 3 weeks I'll hold off. I thought the 68 was their newest mixer, but I don't know how recently they announced it and started shipping it out.

I've been considering getting an SL2 and another mixer instead of Serato, but I'm worried I'll be missing out on all the compatibility and features that Serato with ttm57 offers. Are there any good SL2+Mixer combinations that wouldn't break $1500, where I wouldn't have to worry about losing alot of features and all that fun stuff? Man maybe I should just get an NS7 or something. I really want some tables and Serato though.

The mixer is coming probably NAMM 2012, so it is a ways off. That said, knowing what they have done since the 57, if you get a 57 you are likely to be really pissed off when the 58 comes out. Honestly, I would get a Denon DNX-600 and SL2 combo-it will cost you around $1100, and you will have the benefit of a great FX processor, extra AUX in, good MIDI control and a soundcard that could be routed to another audio application (such as Ableton Live for the Bridge!! Yay!!).

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Because Serato is stupid

Well, SSL doesn't have real internal mixing features, and the MIDI implementation on the decks is poor at best compared to the super-tight HID that they have in Itch. Different markets really.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Professorbx posted:

Well, SSL doesn't have real internal mixing features, and the MIDI implementation on the decks is poor at best compared to the super-tight HID that they have in Itch. Different markets really.

Somehow Native Instruments figured out how to put it all under one hood.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Professorbx posted:

There are hacks to get MIDI jogwheel functionality and from what I've seen, it's a lot of work for little reward. And as others have mentioned there's no internal mixing built in to SL though you can use the gains for simple fading. SL works best with a mixer, TT's or CD players not hacked together compromises.

Edit: itch is serato's answer to traktor. Traktor scratch pro is NI's answer to SSL. If you want to use controllers for software, don't use a DVS.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 30, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Actually Serato was the answer to Final Scratch 2 which was Serato/NI's DVS.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Really happy to say I got myself another 1200, a Xone:22 (not enough money for a :42 or a TTM-56) and a pair of white HDJ-500s. Very excited to try out the filters on the :22. Just excited in general since it's been about half a year since I've mixed with two turntables.

I've had to do it ghetto style on just one 1200 with a Behringer VMX100 (most terrible mixer on the planet, 2 EQs and stiff as poo poo faders but for some reason Bob Rifo uses one during Bloody Beetroots DJ sets) and Serato while hitting ctrl+shift+/ to switch timecode control. Already have several house parties booked and can't wait to tear it up!

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

TheWevel posted:

There are hacks to get MIDI jogwheel functionality and from what I've seen, it's a lot of work for little reward. And as others have mentioned there's no internal mixing built in to SL though you can use the gains for simple fading. SL works best with a mixer, TT's or CD players not hacked together compromises.

Edit: itch is serato's answer to traktor. Traktor scratch pro is NI's answer to SSL. If you want to use controllers for software, don't use a DVS.

The jog wheel functionality is there, it is just loose as hell. It isn't even a hack so much as the folks at Serato know it isn't standard, so they put in support for what amounts to emergency-only situations.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Ok, so I've got a dumb hardware question.

Is there any real advantage of using a Mac (i.e. Macbook pro) over a Windows 7 laptop with similar/slightly better specifications? I'd be running Traktor with a controller and a NI audio interface.

Everybody's using them and I have to admit they look great, but for stuff outside of playing music I use some relatively obscure Windows applications. I also have no desire to spend even more money on VMware or using some dual boot thing, since the MBP is already more expensive than my favoured Win7 choice (Dell Latitude E6420).

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Serendipitaet posted:

Ok, so I've got a dumb hardware question.

Is there any real advantage of using a Mac (i.e. Macbook pro) over a Windows 7 laptop with similar/slightly better specifications? I'd be running Traktor with a controller and a NI audio interface.

Everybody's using them and I have to admit they look great, but for stuff outside of playing music I use some relatively obscure Windows applications. I also have no desire to spend even more money on VMware or using some dual boot thing, since the MBP is already more expensive than my favoured Win7 choice (Dell Latitude E6420).

I'm a die-hard mac user, and nothing will ever get me to switch back. That said....not really. The thing about OSX is that, while you can do some tweaks to get a little more juice out of your system, if you are comfortable tweaking your system and don't have any anti-virus programs running in the background, the performance and stability is comparable. The big divide comes from the fact that most DJs who run Windows laptops have them configured for poo poo, have a ton of background processes running in the background and overall have borked their system, while on OSX you really have to work hard to get to that level of crapitude.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Once upon a time, Macs did have some inherent software/hardware advantages over PC's in terms of music production and audio programs. Now they're basically equal, although I think there is one difference that's worth mentioning... there are basically millions of possible combinations of hardware for Windows computers, whereas with Macs you have an incredibly small number of hardware configurations possible. For this reason it can be easier to get things to "just work" on a Mac because manufacturers don't have to take crazy hardware combos into account, and it's less likely that there will be weird hardware conflicts with your machine and your music gear. This isn't a huge deal and you can fully get around it with a bit of research and computer savvy.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Does anyone know of any tracking devices you can put into your equipment case, kind of similar to a Lo-Jack? It'd be nice to have that extra layer of security just in case something does happen and there's enough time to track the culprit down. Not sure how feasible or sensible it would be, but I figure it's worth a shot, since I'm a pretty over protective person in general when it comes to these kinds of things.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Actually Serato was the answer to Final Scratch 2 which was Serato/NI's DVS.

What?

The Dark Wind posted:

Does anyone know of any tracking devices you can put into your equipment case, kind of similar to a Lo-Jack? It'd be nice to have that extra layer of security just in case something does happen and there's enough time to track the culprit down. Not sure how feasible or sensible it would be, but I figure it's worth a shot, since I'm a pretty over protective person in general when it comes to these kinds of things.

I think if there were, it would really easy just to take it out of the case. Big ole hole in that plan.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

oredun posted:

I think if there were, it would really easy just to take it out of the case. Big ole hole in that plan.

True, but with how small these things are getting, I'm sure there's one small enough that you could put it discreetly in the side of the case. I'm guessing most people wouldn't expect some sort of tracker in a case, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

True, but with how small these things are getting, I'm sure there's one small enough that you could put it discreetly in the side of the case. I'm guessing most people wouldn't expect some sort of tracker in a case, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

a case is like a 1/16 of an inch thick. theres no way to cram the batteries, receiver, and electronics in that small of an area. I doubt theres even room in a case for any of of device like that, even if it were tiny as poo poo. I dont think such a thing even exists anyway.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

oredun posted:

a case is like a 1/16 of an inch thick. theres no way to cram the batteries, receiver, and electronics in that small of an area. I doubt theres even room in a case for any of of device like that, even if it were tiny as poo poo. I dont think such a thing even exists anyway.

I mean we can track phones... I'm sure you could buy a lovely GPS tracking phone (like the ones people sell to paranoid parents) and throw that in a case in the styrofoam or somewhere.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

The Dark Wind posted:

Kensington security lock bolted to your coffin/case. It is about the only way to really secure your stuff, if only because the whole thing becomes that much harder to haul.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

phractured posted:

I mean we can track phones... I'm sure you could buy a lovely GPS tracking phone (like the ones people sell to paranoid parents) and throw that in a case in the styrofoam or somewhere.

Go for it, but at a certain point you should just consider one minor thing: insurance.

Rigging up phones and charging wires and connectors and making sure the phones are charged and paid for each month, and theres the possibly that either the phones will get ripped out once someone sees a huge block of styrofoam or they dont, you call the police, and they dont even give the slightest of shits, like whenever your stuff is stolen unfortunately.

So then you consider something as outlandish as insurance...

You pay them a monthly installment and if your equipment is stolen, BAM! They help you, if not fully, replace whatever got stolen from ya.

Seems a little crazy/aluminum foil hat to try to rig that poo poo instead of getting insurance.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Homeowners insurance replaced my laptop that was stolen out of our home which, incidentally, was also the laptop I used for DJing

You'd be foolish not to have renters/homeowners insurance if you have a lot of expensive gear. It comes out to a few bucks a month and is usually cheap if you bundle it with car insurance or the like

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

vanilla slimfast posted:

Homeowners insurance replaced my laptop that was stolen out of our home which, incidentally, was also the laptop I used for DJing

You'd be foolish not to have renters/homeowners insurance if you have a lot of expensive gear. It comes out to a few bucks a month and is usually cheap if you bundle it with car insurance or the like

Seconded. It is totally worth it. The cool thing is, depending on the sheer quantity of gear you have, even if you have a deductible, if you put everything you have on it the more likely you are going to be able to cover the spread the more that gets stolen. It is a hosed up lottery.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

vanilla slimfast posted:

Ugggg I need to do this so soon. I'm always worried about my gear when no one is home. I actually keep my laptop locked up using a lock cable in the own home lol. I should be getting a new job and a new place fairly soon though so it will definitely be one of the first things i get.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Ben and Stew posted:

Ugggg I need to do this so soon. I'm always worried about my gear when no one is home. I actually keep my laptop locked up using a lock cable in the own home lol. I should be getting a new job and a new place fairly soon though so it will definitely be one of the first things i get.

I just had my house flood and ruin all my poo poo due to the massive storms we had in knoxville 2 weeks ago. Luckily in the middle of the poo poo hitting the fan the only things i could think to save was my MBP and juno 60. Then i got my DJ stuff with a torrent of water blasting through my ceiling.

it was bad.

and

none of it was insured due to a lil communication error with the insurance company.

so get insurance its worth it.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

oredun posted:

I just had my house flood and ruin all my poo poo due to the massive storms we had in knoxville 2 weeks ago. Luckily in the middle of the poo poo hitting the fan the only things i could think to save was my MBP and juno 60. Then i got my DJ stuff with a torrent of water blasting through my ceiling.

it was bad.

and

none of it was insured due to a lil communication error with the insurance company.

so get insurance its worth it.

wait you live in knoxville? so do i. do i know you? what's you're name irl?

artard
Sep 11, 2001
I'm demoing a Traktor Kontrol S4 tomorrow (and buying it if I like it). I'm pretty loving psyched after reading all the reviews and hearing other people's opinions of it. I will be disappointed if I don't think it totally rules.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I just inherited a set of CDJ800s mk2 and while one of them works great, the other doesn't recognize discs. I'll insert one and it'll just spin up and then eject the disc, no error code or anything. My google-fu is failing me, any of you guys have any idea what it could be/had this problem before?

(for clarification, using burned audio cds, not data cds with mp3s on them)

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

artard posted:

I'm demoing a Traktor Kontrol S4 tomorrow (and buying it if I like it). I'm pretty loving psyched after reading all the reviews and hearing other people's opinions of it. I will be disappointed if I don't think it totally rules.

I bought the S4 from a store with a 30-day return policy so that I could try them out at a few real gigs, and I honestly don't know how I could ever go back to CDs now.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Just a heads up to anyone interested, I'm selling my Serato SL1 over in SA mart. Got a pair of CDJs so I'm not going to use it anymore.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413988

artard
Sep 11, 2001

Twiin posted:

I bought the S4 from a store with a 30-day return policy so that I could try them out at a few real gigs, and I honestly don't know how I could ever go back to CDs now.

Yea I ended up buying it and have been using it for about a week and am in love. I loving love it.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Just poppin into this thread I've never posted in before to say I figured out beatmatching tonight (for the most part). It felt so great to finally get it, 4 hours ago I couldn't separate two songs and now I can finally, kinda of, separate them! Ahhh, it feels good, man.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Just poppin into this thread I've never posted in before to say I figured out beatmatching tonight (for the most part). It felt so great to finally get it, 4 hours ago I couldn't separate two songs and now I can finally, kinda of, separate them! Ahhh, it feels good, man.

When you think about it it's not that difficult, you just line up bassline a with bassline b but in practice it's not that easy to start off with... It took me a few hours of playing before I was competent at it for sure. I've had my set up for a couple of months now and it ain't no thang.

The fun part is learning your tracks inside out so you know how to mix them in well, but once you've got beatmatching down and know how songs are constructed you can pretty much roll on any track you like with little difficulty.

The feeling you get from faultlessly matching things is definitely a good one.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Congrats. I'm also a lurker for the most part, but I have to say this thread has been a great resource for me, so you should stick around.

If I look back, I think I asked for advice on what headphones to buy about a year ago and now I play semi-regularly in clubs and sometimes even get paid. :)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm finally going to buy a macbook pro 15'', as for the customisation I'm going to get the Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display and the applecare plan.
I'd like to run an S4 and Traktor with that, should I get something else, like a better hdd or something else or will it be fine?
I'll be using it at gigs and stuff of course.

shyguise
Jul 13, 2009
Do you guys have any tricks for on the fly turntable isolation? i was playing at a bar and my needle was doing backflips due to a combination of lovely booth construction and people dancing too hard/close.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Le0 posted:

I'm finally going to buy a macbook pro 15'', as for the customisation I'm going to get the Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display and the applecare plan.
I'd like to run an S4 and Traktor with that, should I get something else, like a better hdd or something else or will it be fine?
I'll be using it at gigs and stuff of course.

The only other upgrade you could consider is going for a SSD harddrive, but it's no necessity. Standard 7200 RPM HD will do just fine.

Other than that a new Macbook will run what you want like a charm.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
The only thing I can recommend is to up the specs, more ram, more hdd space. That stuff never hurts. Otherwise you'll be fine, enjoy.
I am running an older white macbook with 4 gigs of ram, a core 2 duo and 500gigs of hdd space with my S4+Traktor Pro 2 and I never have drops outs or lag or crashes or anything. My latency is set to 8.4-ish?
Speaking of which I need to clean this thing. Just make sure you take care of it and don't fill it with crap!

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

shyguise posted:

Do you guys have any tricks for on the fly turntable isolation? i was playing at a bar and my needle was doing backflips due to a combination of lovely booth construction and people dancing too hard/close.

Couple things. The best option is the Freefloat:

http://www.planetdj.com/i--FREEFLOAT%20ORANGE

The thing can pretty much eliminate all rumble/vibration skipping, and is surprisingly scratch friendly. Couple in your bag and you will be set. Otherwise, the Vibrapod's work wonders.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/vibrapodse.html

They won't handle quite as much as the Freefloat, but they do handle a lot, and are more scratch-friendly. You can throw them under the feet of your turntable and they work wonders (and are nice and compact for setup/tear down).

Finally, even though it pains me to say it, get a pair of emergency record-eating needles that you can weigh the hell down. I always carry some good needles with me, as well as some Stanton 400v3's. They are a version of the 500 with a shorter cantilever and a much much higher weight tolerance/heavier suspension. You can throw a quarter on them and, while they will eat your records, they won't skip as much from bumps. As an added bonus, they are rugged as hell and loud.

(Full disclosure, I work in product design for Stanton, but I did carry these in my bag for that very reason since they were called the Npac years ago, so please don't think I am trying to shill our product!)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Rivfader posted:

The only other upgrade you could consider is going for a SSD harddrive, but it's no necessity. Standard 7200 RPM HD will do just fine.

Other than that a new Macbook will run what you want like a charm.

Thanks, I heard that it would be better and cheaper to just get a standard SSD which isn't as expensive as the apple ones and install it yourself, is that correct?

Also at the moment I have the 5400 RPM HD, would that cripple me or would it suffice? The 7200 is more expensive

Firaga posted:

The only thing I can recommend is to up the specs, more ram, more hdd space. That stuff never hurts. Otherwise you'll be fine, enjoy.
I am running an older white macbook with 4 gigs of ram, a core 2 duo and 500gigs of hdd space with my S4+Traktor Pro 2 and I never have drops outs or lag or crashes or anything. My latency is set to 8.4-ish?
Speaking of which I need to clean this thing. Just make sure you take care of it and don't fill it with crap!

I didn't thought about getting a Macbook instead of a Macbook pro, would you advise me to go the Macbook or Macbook pro route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Le0 posted:

Thanks, I heard that it would be better and cheaper to just get a standard SSD which isn't as expensive as the apple ones and install it yourself, is that correct?

Also at the moment I have the 5400 RPM HD, would that cripple me or would it suffice? The 7200 is more expensive

I didn't thought about getting a Macbook instead of a Macbook pro, would you advise me to go the Macbook or Macbook pro route?

If you're going to go for an SSD definitely buy one yourself and install it, never upgrade with Apple, they unfortunately charge too much. Simply leave the basic 5400 RPM in and switch it out yourself (same goes for a normal 7200 RPM).

With regards to 5400 vs 7200 RPM, the latter is preferable and the difference in read and load speeds is noticeable, albeit not to the point where it's absolutely mandatory. Traktor has a buffer, meaning that once a song is loaded in the disk speed no longer matters. It simply affects the time it will take for Traktor to start-up, songs to load and new stuff to be copied etc.

I'd advise getting a Macbook Pro, if only for the 15' screen which is preferable over the 13' of the White Macbook. Spec-wise they'll both do fine.