Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

over the years I have run numerous machines as my router

in order, iirc
p1 ~200mhz
486 dx2, I think
cyrix ~233mhz
via m10000 mini itx
sun ultra 10
dec alphastation 233
countless athlon xp machines
vmware guest on a quad core monster
seagate dockstar

at the beginning, it was freebsd 4.6 with ipfw, switched to openbsd for pf and have gone back and forth between freebsd and openbsd since pf was ported over

I think I will look into either a dual core atom or a core2duo for the next step, even though I enjoy running bizarre arches (sparc, alpha, arm) as security through obscurity ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

complex
Sep 16, 2003

8.2-RELEASE came out on the FTPs on Sunday. Please use a mirror.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

complex posted:

8.2-RELEASE came out on the FTPs on Sunday. Please use a mirror.

'freebsd-update fetch' would choose a mirror at random, correct ?

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010
Guys, I have a ZFS problem here. I'm currently running FreeNAS 0.7, and the new 8-RC1 version came out recently with a new ZFS version. In the readme they say that it is not possible to upgrade an existing zpool, doing so would destroy the data.
Is that a problem with FreeNAS or with FreeBSD? I want to install vanilla FreeBSD 8.2 on my NAS box, but I don't want to lose those ~3TB of data...

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

IanMalcolm posted:

Guys, I have a ZFS problem here. I'm currently running FreeNAS 0.7, and the new 8-RC1 version came out recently with a new ZFS version. In the readme they say that it is not possible to upgrade an existing zpool, doing so would destroy the data.
Is that a problem with FreeNAS or with FreeBSD? I want to install vanilla FreeBSD 8.2 on my NAS box, but I don't want to lose those ~3TB of data...

That is truly strange, both my pools went through zpool upgrade with all their data intact. However this is FreeBSD 8.1->8.2 and I believe ZFS version 14->15 - Not sure why FreeNAS would delete all your data...

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

IanMalcolm posted:

1. zfs export
2. unplug disks
3. install bsd
4. plug disks in
5. zfs import
6. zfs upgrade / zpool upgrade
7. done

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

roadhead posted:

That is truly strange, both my pools went through zpool upgrade with all their data intact. However this is FreeBSD 8.1->8.2 and I believe ZFS version 14->15 - Not sure why FreeNAS would delete all your data...

I thought it was a problem with their UI, but no one could tell me for sure.

I'm going to try what feld said and hope for the best.

Edit: Just did that and it worked like a charm. Thanks :D

IanMalcolm fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 8, 2011

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010
Okay, now I have another problem.
I installed sabnzbd+ through the port, but it won't come up through the rc.d script.
I can start it manually, though, so I know it is working. During boot, or if I manually call /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd start, it says "Starting sabnzbd.", but a ps aux shows nothing. Same goes for sickbeard and couchpotato, which I've installed through the git repos and work fine by calling python SickBeard.py, for example.
For those later two, I am using this:

code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# PROVIDE: sickbeard
# REQUIRE: sabnzbd
# KEYWORD: shutdown
#
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf.local or /etc/rc.conf
# to enable this service:
#
# sickbeard_enable (bool):      Set to NO by default.
#                       Set it to YES to enable it.
# sickbeard_user:  The user account Sick Beard daemon runs as what
#                       you want it to be. It uses '_sabnzbd' user by
#                       default. Do not sets it as empty or it will run
#                       as root.
# sickbeard_dir:        Directory where Sick Beard lives.
#                       Default: /usr/local/sickbeard
# sickbeard_chdir:  Change to this directory before running Sick Beard.
#     Default is same as sickbeard_dir.
# sickbeard_pid:  The name of the pidfile to create.
#     Default is sickbeard.pid in sickbeard_dir.

. /etc/rc.subr

name="sickbeard"
rcvar=${name}_enable

load_rc_config ${name}

: ${sickbeard_enable:="NO"}
: ${sickbeard_user:="_sabnzbd"}
: ${sickbeard_dir:="/usr/local/sickbeard"}
: ${sickbeard_chdir:="${sickbeard_dir}"}
: ${sickbeard_pid:="${sickbeard_dir}/sickbeard.pid"}

WGET="/usr/local/bin/wget" # You need wget for this script to safely shutdown Sick Beard.
HOST="10.13.37.250" # Set Sick Beard address here.
PORT="8081" # Set Sick Beard port here.
SBUSR="ppvanzella" # Set Sick Beard username (if you use one) here.
SBPWD="ap0calyps3!N0w!" # Set Sick Beard password (if you use one) here.

status_cmd="${name}_status"
stop_cmd="${name}_stop"

command="/usr/sbin/daemon"
command_args="-f -p ${sickbeard_pid} python ${sickbeard_dir}/SickBeard.py ${sickbeard_flags} -s --quiet"

# Check for wget and refuse to start without it.
if [ ! -x "${WGET}" ]; then
  warn "Sickbeard not started: You need wget to safely shut down Sick Beard."
  exit 1
fi

# Ensure user is root when running this script.
if [ `id -u` != "0" ]; then
  echo "Oops, you should be root before running this!"
  exit 1
fi
verify_sickbeard_pid() {
    # Make sure the pid corresponds to the Sick Beard process.
    pid=`cat ${sickbeard_pid} 2>/dev/null`
    ps -p ${pid} | grep -q "python ${sickbeard_dir}/SickBeard.py"
    return $?
}

# Try to stop Sick Beard cleanly by calling shutdown over http.
sickbeard_stop() {
    echo "Stopping $name"
    verify_sickbeard_pid
    ${WGET} -O - -q --user=${SBUSR} --password=${SBPWD} "http://${HOST}:${PORT}/home/shutdown/" >/dev/null
    if [ -n "${pid}" ]; then
      wait_for_pids ${pid}
      echo "Stopped"
    fi
}

sickbeard_status() {
    verify_sickbeard_pid && echo "$name is running as ${pid}" || echo "$name is not running"
}

run_rc_command "$1"

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

IanMalcolm posted:

I installed sabnzbd+ through the port, but it won't come up through the rc.d script.

This only happens to me when the user that will be running Sabnzbd when you use the rc script doesn't match the user running it when you're starting it manually. Make sure all config files, temp dir, etc for sabnzbd are owned by the user that you have set for sabnzbd_user in rc.conf

edit: i see this is sickbeard, not sabnzbd. either way -- likely the same thing.

edit2: also, punch the guy that wrote that script. Sickbeard shuts down cleanly from a kill -15.

feld fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 15, 2011

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

feld posted:

This only happens to me when the user that will be running Sabnzbd when you use the rc script doesn't match the user running it when you're starting it manually. Make sure all config files, temp dir, etc for sabnzbd are owned by the user that you have set for sabnzbd_user in rc.conf

edit: i see this is sickbeard, not sabnzbd. either way -- likely the same thing.

edit2: also, punch the guy that wrote that script. Sickbeard shuts down cleanly from a kill -15.

I cannot understand what is going on. The couchpotato script is a copy-paste from the sickbeard script. Couchpotato starts fine during boot or manually later on, but neither SickBeard nor SABnzbd+ start, even manually. If I run the command stated on the rc script, though, it starts fine (but I do run it as root, since the _sabnzbd user isn't allowed to log in).

Edit: Well, I changed the user to root and the group to wheel on my /etc/rc.conf and now it starts fine. Not the best idea, I suppose, though, so that still needs fixing.

IanMalcolm fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 24, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OpenBSD 4.9 any day now, right?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

OpenBSD's site says May 1st, they usually release right on schedule as far as I remember so unless you've read something I haven't, I'll tell you that there's probably another month left before 4.9

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

ClosedBSD posted:

OpenBSD's site says May 1st, they usually release right on schedule as far as I remember so unless you've read something I haven't, I'll tell you that there's probably another month left before 4.9

They usually tag the release in CVS and create a -stable branch well before the actual release. If you're antsy and feeling adventurous you can try compiling it yourself.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ClosedBSD posted:

I was thinking May 1st was Friday. I'm off a month :argh:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Pre-orders have been up for a while, and the release is already being pressed and packaged. Pre-orders usually arrive 1-2 weeks before the official release but they aren't much use because they don't include the full selection of packages, so you either compile them yourself or wait.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Curious of anyone's experience using OpenBSD as a router, specifically with OpenBGPD and OpenOSPFD? In a lab VM environment I'm testing full BGP feeds and convergence times, things are much faster than on the Cisco hardware I have to test on due to Cisco general purpose CPU speeds being slow. Target hardware to be used would be generic Dell servers with Broadcom and/or Intel NICs, or possibly these Lanner network appliances which according to their sales engineers will run OpenBSD just fine and are less expensive than servers when you consider they have dedicated Intel NICs for each port.

There is info on this page that has network tweaks that apparently help a lot as well.

Any feedback appreciated, this would be for routing ~100-~300mbps and dealing with full BGP feeds.

Edit: I couldn't find any config examples for BGP filters other than the man page so I've been putting config examples and notes on this page if it helps anyone out.

falz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 30, 2011

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EvilMoFo posted:

over the years I have run numerous machines as my router
vmware guest on a quad core monster
How'd that work out for you on long-term? Do you use Wifi devices on your net, if so, how did you solve that one?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

How'd that work out for you on long-term? Do you use Wifi devices on your net, if so, how did you solve that one?
The windows guests were much happier than either the OpenBSD or FreeBSD guests ever were. While I forget if OpenBSD had the problem also, FreeBSD had to be run with 1 CPU due to some horrible SMP performance.

I ran that for least a year and had no real issues. I am sure more disk I/O would have helped the performance. Anything more than a small server would likely have trouble keeping up.

I did not use any wifi devices, no help there. I can tell you that if you want to make an AP, you are pretty much screwed; there are no USB hostap devices, unless they made one of the Ralink devices work finally.

I can not honestly say that I would recommend using vmware, it just seems easier to use real hardware.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

falz posted:

Curious of anyone's experience using OpenBSD as a router, specifically with OpenBGPD and OpenOSPFD? In a lab VM environment I'm testing full BGP feeds and convergence times, things are much faster than on the Cisco hardware I have to test on due to Cisco general purpose CPU speeds being slow. Target hardware to be used would be generic Dell servers with Broadcom and/or Intel NICs, or possibly these Lanner network appliances which according to their sales engineers will run OpenBSD just fine and are less expensive than servers when you consider they have dedicated Intel NICs for each port.

There is info on this page that has network tweaks that apparently help a lot as well.

Any feedback appreciated, this would be for routing ~100-~300mbps and dealing with full BGP feeds.

Edit: I couldn't find any config examples for BGP filters other than the man page so I've been putting config examples and notes on this page if it helps anyone out.

I can't speak to routing stuff, but I can tell you that you should be asking on misc@openbsd.org and do not use or even mention that calomel.org page. The man pages, mailing list and official website FAQ are the only things you should use for reference. The mailing list will usually get you responses from the devs who wrote and maintain the code, and many of them also run it in production.

PS - OpenBSD 4.9 will be released tomorrow. There have also been lots of change to -current and more coming to increase performance in various areas.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I have actually posted to misc@ a few times in the last week with great success- an OpenBGPD dev wrote a patch for some buggy behavior which was wonderful and very promising if my org uses it in production.

I posted here in hopes of avoiding bias by those who are openbsd zealots. If i don't recieve any feedback here i will likely post this question in misc@.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This is probably m0n0wall-specific, but is there anyone else who's seen traffic look similar to this? Wondering if it's some component of FreeBSD that causes it. I'm guessing towards the packet shaper in m0n0wall though.

Downloads speed up slowly, hit a certain point, then drop back down. It happens over, and over again.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

the only thing that comes to mind is a misbehaving network card, though I have never seen that pattern of bandwidth before

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EvilMoFo posted:

the only thing that comes to mind is a misbehaving network card, though I have never seen that pattern of bandwidth before

It's an E1000 (virtual using VMware 4), the actual network card in the system is a Intel 82574L (Supermicro X8STi), plugged into a cheap Cisco 24-port gig switch on the LAN side. Then there's an SMC (SMCDG3) cable modem plugged into the WAN side.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know of a decent 5GHz MiniPCI card that will run native under BSD?
(I'm running PFSense)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 2, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Why doesn't Fn-F5 work to enable my internal WLAN card in my T42? All the other Fn-key combinations work and I can't get online without using this stupid USB adapter!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does BSD see it under pciconf -l? What internal card do you have?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 3, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Does BSD see it under pciconf -l? What internal card do you have?

dmseg | grep ath

ath0 at pci2 dev 2 function 0 "Atheros AR5215 (IBM MiniPCI)" rev 0x01 :irw 11
ath0: AR5213 5.6 phy 4.1 rf5111 1.7 rf2111 2.3, WOR1W, address 00:05:4e:48:f4:7d

I'm installing FreeBSD now...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I'm installing FreeBSD now...

:argh: Same thing. Back to Google

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I hope I'm not talking way under your level or something (if I am tell me to stfu), but does it show up in ifconfig? Do you have if_ath_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf?

Maybe it's active but the light just isn't on for whatever reason?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 3, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I hope I'm not talking way under your level or something (if I am tell me to stfu), but does it show up in ifconfig? Do you have if_ath_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf?

Maybe it's active but the light just isn't on for whatever reason?

Light blinks in FreeBSD, I think it might be some sort of ACPI issue. It shows up in ifconfig (ath0), I just can't "turn it on". It won't scan or join any networks. Well, it says 'scan' but doesn't return any results. The Fn-F5 key won't light up the indicator light. I've had this problem with other machines before and can't remember how I fixed it.

I can plug my trusty USB adapter in and get wireless working fine. The built-in wireless card works fine in Fedora 14. I'll screw with it tomorrow.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What shows up in dmesg after you try ifconfig ath0 scan?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
ifconfig ath0 up?

I'd forget about the fn key and whatever lights on the keyboard. Go with what ifconfig and dmesg tell you.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone know of a decent 5GHz MiniPCI card that will run native under BSD?
(I'm running PFSense)

5ghz? You're talking about 802.11a, right? Because there are no cards in existence for Linux or BSD that you can buy that are 802.11n and actually let you use the 802.11n features. You're stuck with an expensive card that happens to only let you run it in 2.4ghz b/g mode.

Several years ago a developer did the 802.11n framework for NetBSD because Apple paid him to (airports are netbsd based) and that framework was ported to other BSDs. Linux came up with their own framework as well. Unfortunately, we don't have any cards available yet that have an open source driver... so you're stuck buying a crappy wireless router and hoping for the best. Best case scenario is a nice Cisco or a Mikrotik, but I know neither of us want to deal with that....

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was unaware, that's pretty disheartening. :(

I also didn't know the Airports were netbsd based, pretty cool. I don't use wireless very much so I guess I will stick with 2.4GHz G. Thank you :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

ifconfig ath0 up?

I'd forget about the fn key and whatever lights on the keyboard. Go with what ifconfig and dmesg tell you.

I'm not sure if the key combination isn't being handled or if there's an ACPI issue. I found a PC card that is Athereos 5212-based, and it works perfectly. The internal card is a 5213. The card is enabled in the BIOS but that's about it. dmesg and ifconfig show the MAC but it's like the card is disabled somehow.

For FreeBSD there are IBM ACPI extensions

http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=4&topic=acpi_ibm

I'm back in OpenBSD now...

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 4, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OpenBSD 5.0 has reached beta! That doesn't really mean anything, but it's news.

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-to-expect-in-openbsd-50-onwards.html

FreeBSD 9.0 is still about 2 months away...

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

An actual question! So I have several boxes I installed FreeBSD 8.2 release on and updated them using the freebsd-update command. Since the kernel wasn't updated a uname -a still shows 8.2#0 as the current version. I did some Googleing and the closest thing I got to the machine reporting the current version correctly was looking at an update script. Anyone have some other way of checking the current patch version on a system?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

doomisland posted:

An actual question! So I have several boxes I installed FreeBSD 8.2 release on and updated them using the freebsd-update command. Since the kernel wasn't updated a uname -a still shows 8.2#0 as the current version. I did some Googleing and the closest thing I got to the machine reporting the current version correctly was looking at an update script. Anyone have some other way of checking the current patch version on a system?

Note: The updates distributed via freebsd-update, do not always involve the kernel. It will not be necessary to rebuild your custom kernel if the kernel sources have not been modified by the execution of freebsd-update install. However, freebsd-update will always update the /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh file. The current patch level (as indicated by the -p number reported by uname -r) is obtained from this file. Rebuilding your custom kernel, even if nothing else changed, will allow uname(1) to accurately report the current patch level of the system. This is particularly helpful when maintaining multiple systems, as it allows for a quick assessment of the updates installed in each one.

I checked on my 8.1-RELEASE system and didn't see that file. Then again I don't have the kernel sources installed.

S.C. sweeps
Apr 23, 2006

IanMalcolm posted:

I can start it manually, though, so I know it is working. During boot, or if I manually call /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd start, it says "Starting sabnzbd.", but a ps aux shows nothing. Same goes for sickbeard and couchpotato, which I've installed through the git repos and work fine by calling python SickBeard.py, for example.
For those later two, I am using this:

I was having this problem too, with the default Sick Beard and SABnzbd+ rc.d scripts, especially when trying to get them to start at boot.

I ended up solving this issue by rewriting the part of the Sick Beard and SABnzbd+ rc.d script that starts to daemon, using bits of code from delugew's and deluged's rc.d scripts. This is my first attempt of doing anything with rc.d scripts, so anyone feel free to many any improvements or give me pointers.

New SABnzbd+ rc.d script
New Sickbeard rc.d script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Probably too late at night for this request, but I need the file /boot/kernel/coretemp.ko from an existing FreeBSD 8.1 install. Halp. :(

edit:
code:
[2.0-RC3][root@pfsense.ph.cox.net]/boot/kernel(29): ls | grep core
coretemp.ko
[2.0-RC3][root@pfsense.ph.cox.net]/boot/kernel(26): kldload coretemp
kldload: can't load coretemp: No such file or directory
[2.0-RC3][root@pfsense.ph.cox.net]/boot/kernel(27): kldload /boot/kernel/coretemp
kldload: can't load /boot/kernel/coretemp: No such file or directory
[2.0-RC3][root@pfsense.ph.cox.net]/boot/kernel(28): kldload /boot/kernel/coretemp.ko
kldload: can't load /boot/kernel/coretemp.ko: No such file or directory
Hopefully it's that I tried a coretemp.ko off a 8.2 install. Installing 8.1 in a virtualbox now.
:negative:

edit2:
code:
kernel: KLD coretemp.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
Yeah, hopefully the 8.1 version lets it work.

edit3:
code:
kernel: coretemp0: <CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on cpu0
Thank god.
code:
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 65.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 65.0C
dev.coretemp.0.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
dev.coretemp.0.%driver: coretemp
dev.coretemp.0.%parent: cpu0
dev.coretemp.1.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
dev.coretemp.1.%driver: coretemp