Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

You underestimate the insanity of internet fanfiction. I'm thinking about stuff that makes paranoid libertarian crazy Lando look a rational and sane individual.
I like hyperbole as much as the next guy but I already told you people - Libertarian Lando poisons a planet's food supply because they have import tariffs.

I don't know how much more crazier you can get from that. That's got to be nearing peak crazy right there.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Slantedfloors posted:

I like hyperbole as much as the next guy but I already told you people - Libertarian Lando poisons a planet's food supply because they have import tariffs.

I don't know how much more crazier you can get from that. That's got to be nearing peak crazy right there.

I can't wait to read that bit in the Lets Read mock thread.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

This image is still the best thing about this whole thread. I wish there was a way to make it the thread title.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Anyone else see the previews for the new Crimson Empire comic? The art is ridiculous, it almost looks like an extended editorial cartoon. With lasers.

And speaking of ridiculous Dark Horse stuff, I found this latest gem in the Legacy letter column

"Jedi Jon" posted:

The cast of Legacy is great, and I like what you're doing here at the end... but I just have one request: Mandos! I've loved the Mandos since the first time I ever saw Boba Fett. Then, with all the Republic Commando books building up that culture, my appreciation just got deeper and deeper! Then they showed up in Legacy with awesome new armor and a few interesting characters to add to the list of epic Mandalorians. And then they disappeared! Where is Hondo Karr? Where are the rest of the Mando'ade? Surely they aren't shaking in their shebs* bacj on Mandalore waiting to see how the areuttise war turns out? Plus, the Mando legacy surely shaped the life of Darth Krayt back in the clone wars, and they have a long history of working for or against (mostly for) the Sith. Don't they have a stance on these Sith chakaar?* Or at least they should be contracted out by one or the other sides of this war. Could you somehow find space in this conflict for the most awesome fighters (without the Force) the galaxy has ever known?Maybe a fleet of basilisk war droids show up and turn the tide for the Fel-Stazi-Jedi alliance? Oya Manda!* I feel like that is the one thing I've been missing in Legacy! everything else has been perfect, and again I'll be sad to see it go. Hopefully you all can return to this era again sometime!

This is only a portion of the single long letter they published for this issue of Legacy. The rest is generic gushing without the MANDOS :goonsay:. The asterisks are because they also provided a translation key for all the Mando words this dude threw out there. But gently caress if I'm gonna copy that over.

Really I'm convinced they must only get like the same five or so people writing letters, because they keep printing the same guys month after month. This time maybe only the one dude came out of the woodwork, I guess?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

yronic heroism posted:

Anyone else see the previews for the new Crimson Empire comic? The art is ridiculous, it almost looks like an extended editorial cartoon. With lasers.

Got a link?

If the third one is terrible, it'll make me kind sad - I enjoyed the first Crimson Empire, and at least tolerated the second.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

And speaking of ridiculous Dark Horse stuff, I found this latest gem in the Legacy letter column

This is only a portion of the single long letter they published for this issue of Legacy. The rest is generic gushing without the MANDOS :goonsay:. The asterisks are because they also provided a translation key for all the Mando words this dude threw out there. But gently caress if I'm gonna copy that over.

Really I'm convinced they must only get like the same five or so people writing letters, because they keep printing the same guys month after month. This time maybe only the one dude came out of the woodwork, I guess?

I really miss the days where all I knew about Mandolorians came from KOTOR 2 and the Republic Commando game. They were just really neat warrior dudes who were kind of jerks, but you liked them anyway because they blew stuff up, then walked away from the explosion in slow-mo.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
Madine is in a tight competition with

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

Goon letter campaign explaining how much we hate Mandos.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Crowetron posted:

I really miss the days where all I knew about Mandolorians came from KOTOR 2 and the Republic Commando game. They were just really neat warrior dudes who were kind of jerks, but you liked them anyway because they blew stuff up, then walked away from the explosion in slow-mo.

I miss the days when you could like Boba Fett and Mandalorians without the internet making you feel ashamed of it. :(

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

I miss the days when you could like Boba Fett and Mandalorians without the internet making you feel ashamed of it. :(

It's okay, Mandos are still super awesome if you ignore all the stupid poo poo about them.

Just like the rest of the EU!

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

Got a link?

If the third one is terrible, it'll make me kind sad - I enjoyed the first Crimson Empire, and at least tolerated the second.

It doesn't come out for another six months or so. I just caught about ten pages of a preview in "Dark Horse presents". There appear to be some two page previews in some recent issues of other Star Wars titles as well. The writing seems pretty meh, but it's really the art I'm reacting to. Everyone just looks weird... instead of the squinty Clint Eastwood type of books past, Kir Kanos just seemed kind of... pencil-necked.

No new image for it up on Wookieepedia yet.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 29, 2011

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Azzmo posted:

The younger brother is always the evil one.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

mllaneza posted:

Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Oh, theforce.net...

quote:

First let's look at the physical aspect of lightsaber combat, Sidious used force speed to condition and strengthen Maul's body so he could apply superior acrobatics in his duels.

Then let's look at knowledge of lightsaber combat and the mastery of the seven forms. Masters of the forms, those of the utmost mastery of all forms, were Kas'im and Yoda.

Then let's look at technical skill with a lightsaber developed by improving balance, dexterity, finesse, and agility. Ulic Qel Droma and Count Dooku were the most refined and savvy as far as their swordsmanship/lightsaber-use went.

Then let's look at the tactical aspect of lightsaber combat, the use of a combination of terrain (Kyle Katarn and Obi-Wan) and force affinity to prolong a battle and ultimately win when the opponent has exhausted all of his techniques or becomes unaware of his surroundings, as well as Windu's ability to defeat his opponent in battle by finding his opponent's shatterpoint, the point in which his opponent's weakness is exploited and the fatal blow is dealt. This means pure lethality.

Then let's look at Anakin and Leai's innate skill with a lightsaber and their ability to learn and develop skills quickly, and in Luke Skywalker's case, the ability to photographically memorize and therefore completely mimic lightsaber forms.

And then let's look at trickery in lightsaber combat, feigning an alternate form or fighting reverse hand, or conserving extra force energy while fighting, then suddenly switching everything on your opponent when has gotten used to your fake styles. Something Palpatine did often. Or as Kas'im demonstrated, switching from single hilt, to dual blades, to double-bladed ligthsabers during a battle.

And finally let's look at force-aided abilities, pre-cognition, super-speed, super agility and acrobatic maneuvering, or even the use of the force to break your opponents will to fight.

Which of these are most important, what combination would do best in duels? Do you have any other things you'd like to share about lightsaber combat that you've read or you've seen in the EU? What are your thoughts? Discuss.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Azzmo posted:

I find it kind of sad that this looks better than about half of the Prequel Trilogy's "Whirl the Lightsabre Around Your Back Fifty Times" fights.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

mllaneza posted:

My older brother jump kicked me in the head when I beat him at Mortal Kombat 3. Then mom took our Sega Genesis away. I was only like 8. :smith:

Basically what I'm saying is that was the moment my older brother turned evil.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
This is like one of those "5-year old explains Star Wars"-vids, but instead of a 5-year old it's the antithesis of a Star Wars fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRYuV9E2dU&feature=player_embedded#at=95

"...the post office box the gold robot and the fuzzy bear"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

This is like one of those "5-year old explains Star Wars"-vids, but instead of a 5-year old it's the antithesis of a Star Wars fan.

'Where were they at? were they on earf'

Thats simply precious. And I mean that in a non mean sort of way.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Was expecting something far more upsetting, but honestly I thought she was adorable.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That is one really bad fake tan.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
http://maythe4th.starwars.com/countdown.php

Got a bad feelin' about this...

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

I can't read that tagline and not hear it in the voice of a pimply guy with a retainer.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
So I'm about halfway through Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, and I have to say that it's turning out to be the best thing I've read since the Thrawn Trilogy. Loads of fun, and I'm glad I decided to pick it up.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

What's this about?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Given the page title I'm assuming they're going to announce a single DVD set of all six movies.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Throb Robinson posted:

Nothing good can come of this.

Unless it's a surprise release of The Old Republic, then it could be potentially good.

Chairman Capone posted:

Given the page title I'm assuming they're going to announce a single DVD set of all six movies.
Looks likely. I have to wonder why on earth this has never been done before. It's been something like 6 years since RotS.

Unless it's some new improved unlimited 34th year directors masters producers cut of the OT, where Luke is replaced by Jar-Jar's abandoned Force nephew and the Death Star dual-wields double bladed lightsabers.

Don't you dare say that would be awesome.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 30, 2011

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Bene Elim posted:

Looks likely. I have to wonder why on earth this has never been done before. It's been something like 6 years since RotS.

Well they do have dvd sets of both the prequel and original trilogy already. Odds are it's info on the blu-rays, 3d releases, or that tv show that has been in development forever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Maybe it'll be some cool info about the 3d releases. It'll be neat seeing how many times they'll get jar jar to stick his tongue out at the audience as a tongue-in-cheek way for Lucas to laugh at everyone who watches it (including me and I assume many of you here as much as you'd deny it). :)

Bene Elim posted:

Unless it's some new improved unlimited 34th year directors masters producers cut of the OT, where Luke is replaced by Jar-Jar's abandoned Force nephew and the Death Star dual-wields double bladed lightsabers.

Don't you dare say that would be awesome.

No need to say - it's already implied.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Pops Mgee posted:

Well they do have dvd sets of both the prequel and original trilogy already. Odds are it's info on the blu-rays, 3d releases, or that tv show that has been in development forever.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304194710&sr=8-2

these?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Oh, Star Wars fans :ironicat:

http://boards.theforce.net/the_senate_floor/b10320/31658691/p1/?30

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

quote:

Yes, if you combined all the good qualities of every great leader in history, then you would have the "ultimate leader."

Similarly, the ultimate basketball player should have the ability to create off the dribble of Jordan, the range of reggie miller, the strength of shaq, the passing ability of Magic, and the breasts of Scarlett Johanssen. Also, he should be able to dance like Shakira.

I am not a creepy virgin shut-in, I swear.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 3, 2011

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

What's up with the creepy header? Chinless Jorge is going to give me nightmares.

e. Facebook friends are spamming this to celebrate Bin Laden's death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np6vAuS0KNs

(I'm not even American.)

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 2, 2011

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

quote:

According to Star Trek, one cannot separate Hitler's good qualities from his bad qualities. In the episode Tapestry, Picard has a chance to relive his life, ostensibly without the defects of character he had in his youth, and his life turns out to be mediocre. Because a person/ life is a tapestry and you can't remove one string without the whole thing coming apart.

The next time anyone tries to engage me in a debate about politics, I'm going to lead off with "According to Star Trek," and hopefully they'll leave me alone at that point.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DarthPhilosopher posted:

Having researched and learnt about the Nazis, Hitler and the Second World War passionately I have reached a conundrum in which I am of the belief certain aspects of Hitlers leadership is a quality which would idealistically consist of a hypothetical ultra-leader of society. Now I am definitely not talking about persecution and intolerance which Hitler harboured, but rather the leadership qualities and charisma of the man. It is an undeniable fact that Hitler was a charismatic man whose ability to spur and unite the German nation took it from a economic mess to a world super-power in less than a decade. Now before you say it I know part of this unification of the German people was because of his intolerance and persecution of minorities, something which is definitely not admirable accomplishment. Rather I am talking about the charisma which allowed him to enthuse people into a common or individual goal.

That place is just getting creepier and creepier.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
X Support a fascist dictatorship.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

That place is just getting creepier and creepier.

He's got a point in a way. For all his failures at everything else, the man was a brilliant demagogue.

That doesn't make that whole thread any less...odd.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah, but Churchill and FDR were charismatic and good at rallying the people too. The fact that he chose Hitler over someone not batshit insane is a bit troubling.

Anyway, sort of want:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah, but Churchill and FDR were charismatic and good at rallying the people too. The fact that he chose Hitler over someone not batshit insane is a bit troubling.

Well yes, a genuinely good leader rather than a charismatic demagogue. That's where the whole "odd" bit comes in. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well FDR was. Churchill was just lucky nobody else with balls was up for election when the war started (not a slight on poor Chamberlain). He had the tactical military sense of one of the shittier minor EU villains.