Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Gorn Myson posted:

He reminds me of those people that complained in the old Dr Who thread about the Christmas episode being unrealistic because fish can't actually fly and the explanation in the episode for how they do doesn't hold up.

If you're getting bogged down in details like that, then Doctor Who just isn't for you I'm afraid.

My post was an effort to keep the horrible posting that makes the Doctor Who thread an unreadable mess of smug cunts licking each others ringpieces out of this thread, not an invitation for you to import it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Mmm, ringpiece.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flatscan posted:

Kin, dude, it's obvious you didn't like tonight's episode of Doctor Who, but do you really need to simultaneously poo poo up two separate threads?

I was afraid to post in the other thread because i wasn't sure if dissenting criticism would be met by the kind of knee jerk reaction it got from the likes of Myrddin_Emrys followed by probabtion of the likes from the SGU thread when Aatrek was probating people in a similar fashion.

Different people might read these threads too. In there it might be full of people so immersed in the show that they gloss over all of the faults and hang anyone that point them out while in this thread they may be more tolerable to it. I dunno. But i now regret watching the episode even more :smith:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In fairness to Aatrek, you and everyone else posting in the SG:U thread at that time had horrible opinions and was wrong. Except me.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Except me.

and the rating figures :v:

edit: anyway, back to British. Is this wedding related stuff scheduled to be on all weekend including tomorrow and monday?

There's another wedding thing on Channel 4 just now. :/

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

I was afraid to post in the other thread because i wasn't sure if dissenting criticism would be met by the kind of knee jerk reaction it got from the likes of Myrddin_Emrys followed by probabtion of the likes from the SGU thread when Aatrek was probating people in a similar fashion.

Different people might read these threads too. In there it might be full of people so immersed in the show that they gloss over all of the faults and hang anyone that point them out while in this thread they may be more tolerable to it. I dunno. But i now regret watching the episode even more :smith:

Try the spoiler thread, much better quality of poster. I'd just rather avoid another fuckwit invasion of this thread. It was bad enough when all the Seinfeld fans felt the need to defend their show's honour, Doctor Who fans are far worse, especially the yanks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In many ways Doctor Who owes it's success to Seinfeld.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Flatscan posted:

My post was an effort to keep the horrible posting that makes the Doctor Who thread an unreadable mess of smug cunts licking each others ringpieces out of this thread, not an invitation for you to import it.
I wasn't trying to be smug. My point was that Doctor Who is a fun show, and its not really meant to be examined for small things like that. Just sit down and enjoy the ride. And if you don't like it, then thats ok.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

None of this is exclusive to any particular show, once a TV IV thread has "regulars" it's pretty hopeless trying to edge in a conversation.

I enjoyed tonight's Doctor Who but I'm just the kind of nerd it was pandering to. The drawing on the face thing is funny, I didn't even notice how silly that was.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Flatscan does like to semi-mod the thread. Indulge him, he isn't that bad at it.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I was drunk last night and ironically decided to watch Game of Thrones on Sky Anytime. Turns out it's brilliant. :staredog:

I spent most of it trying to figure out where I'd seen most of the minor characters too. Most of them are probably from Hollyoaks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As an American who watches a lot of British TV but doesn't pay much attention to British politics outside of, say, 10 O'Clock Live, I just wanted to say that I was really disappointed when I finally saw Ed Miliband's name in print. Because I could have sworn everyone was saying Ed Millerband, which always made me think of a group of tired, past-their-prime jazz musicians called The Ed Miller Band.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's why they usually say Ed Millerband.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There's a simple reason why they drew on their faces: It looks loving creepy.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's a simple reason why they drew on their faces: It looks loving creepy.

DC disagree. :colbert:

(notice the distinct minimalisation of scarring on his face)

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
Did anyone catch BBC's new gameshow Don't Scare the Hare earlier today? I saw the first 3 minutes and couldn't believe it wasn't a satire. Terrible contestants with lovely banter, and barely relevant soundbytes of music being played every 30 seconds ("We're an American football team, current national champions" [We are the Champions plays, sepia tinted view of the team])

I really find it hard to get shocked by lazy telly, but this seemed to tick all the boxes. I don't even know how the rest of the show went.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Flatscan posted:

Kin, dude, it's obvious you didn't like tonight's episode of Doctor Who, but do you really need to simultaneously poo poo up two separate threads?

You have like... encountered Kin before, right?

edit - oh hey, there's another page. Now I seem weird. Uhh.. Replace Kin with Rapey Joe Stalin I guess.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

FractionMan posted:

Did anyone catch BBC's new gameshow Don't Scare the Hare earlier today?

I caught the last few minutes of it last week and I honest to god thought it was the beginning of the new Doctor Who episode, like maybe the Doctor and his adorable companions had been transported to a deeply disurbing planet of the Robo-Bunnies.

I just can't believe it's not a satire, because it seems like something even CBeebies would be ashamed to produce.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
At least it is something you can point to when people say they don't get Numberwang.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FractionMan posted:

Did anyone catch BBC's new gameshow Don't Scare the Hare earlier today? I saw the first 3 minutes and couldn't believe it wasn't a satire. Terrible contestants with lovely banter, and barely relevant soundbytes of music being played every 30 seconds ("We're an American football team, current national champions" [We are the Champions plays, sepia tinted view of the team])

I really find it hard to get shocked by lazy telly, but this seemed to tick all the boxes. I don't even know how the rest of the show went.

yeah my friends and I caught the end of it before Doctor Who and we were all amazed at how rubbish it was. From what I saw it's just a few general knowledge questions dressed up and filled out with some bizarre gimmick about not alarming a robot with false answers that make explosions happen or something. Very strange telly

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ZzRQSvhsQ

Archer! gently caress yeah! (if you've not been :filez: from the US, check it out it's awesome)

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Mickolution posted:

And Psychoville :)
Yes Ask the Psychoville agony uncles
It's not easy being a children's entertainer with a prosthetic hand. Or a millionaire with Paradise Syndrome. Thankfully, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton are here to help http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/apr/30/psychoville-reece-shearsmith-steve-pemberton

Metrication posted:

And The Thick of It, maybe, one day...
Yes, it is going to happen.

wickles fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 1, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Archer! gently caress yeah! (if you've not been :filez: from the US, check it out it's awesome)

Seriously. Watch it.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Gonna have to 3rd this

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

FractionMan posted:

My first reaction to this... thing was captured by the power of MSN to a friend.

quote:

gently caress THIS GAY EARTH
lovely quiz on bbc one hosted by a man dressed as a twat with a robot rabbit sidekick, multiple choice question "what does loquacious mean"

contestant turns to friends and says "i think it's sommat to do with talking, like a russell brand wordsmith thing"
then he did celebratory gunslinging with his fingers before holstering them

I honestly cannot believe that we've reached the point where that is saturday evening on BBC One and not a Chris Morris sketch.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
the holstering the gun fingers was hilarious tbf

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Wasn't too impressed by Archer last year but this season has been absolutely incredible, everyone should give it a shot.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I honestly cannot believe that we've reached the point where that is saturday evening on BBC One and not a Chris Morris sketch.

I can completely believe it. Watching Brass Eye and The Day Today again recently it's like he knows what was going to happen and how television in general would turn out.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Because Saturday evening TV used to be really highbrow and not poo poo. Quality television like Noel's House Party.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

FreakyZoid posted:

Because Saturday evening TV used to be really highbrow and not poo poo. Quality television like Noel's House Party.

Noel's House Party, You Bet, The Generation Game and Big Break were much better than the pap we have now.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Kin posted:

Noel's House Party, You Bet, The Generation Game and Big Break were much better than the pap we have now.

when even the venerable old cheesy king Tony Blackburn is calling Saturday's prime time line-up garbage, maybe it's time for all the networks to go back to the drawing board.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Kin posted:

So you moan about almost everything on TV and hark back to the days of Noel's House party and Jim Davidson? Ok,

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I was working yesterday morning, with Adam and Joe on - big mistake. Adams song wars joke is the best thing I've heard in so long could not stop laughing.

His private connections to the Queen never get old.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

FreakyZoid posted:

So you moan about almost everything on TV and hark back to the days of Noel's House party and Jim Davidson? Ok,

Yes because both Noel Edmonds and Jim Davidson and their shows were more entertaining than Sharron Osborne, Simon Cowel and the rest of these pathetic "judges" and D list celebrities that fill up the saturday night screens.

Saturday night is basically quiz shows that take things far too seriously (hamfistedly clinging onto that lovely tension factor introduced by Who Wants to be a Millionaire) and crappy judge panel shows full of their own trite, countless issues; the biggest one of all being them overinflating their own loving importance.

Shows of the past were just that, shows, light entertainment, something that knew it was a saturday night show and was mostly just a bit of fun. Now, it's something else entirely: it's serious, it's edgy, it has "purpose". gently caress that poo poo.

Kin fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 1, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Kin posted:

Yes because both Noel Edmonds and Jim Davidson and their shows were more entertaining than Sharron Osborne, Simon Cowel and the rest of these pathetic "judges" and D list celebrities that fill up the saturday night screens.

Saturday night is basically quiz shows that take things far too seriously (hamfistedly clinging onto that lovely tension factor introduced by Who Wants to be a Millionaire) and crappy judge panel shows full of their own trite, countless issues; the biggest one of all being them overinflating their own loving importance.

Shows of the past were just that, shows, light entertainment, something that knew it was a saturday night show and was mostly just a bit of fun. Now, it's something else entirely: it's serious, it's edgy, it has "purpose". gently caress that poo poo.

This is a perfect post that anybody between the ages of about 25-40 could agree with. Things were so much more fun then, lighthearted entertainment to watch with the family. These days it's all too engineered, and the celebrity culture has ruined everything, with its aspirations and fakeness.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Kin posted:

Have to agree with that. Take You Bet - a show in which a bunch of people write in claiming they can do amazing things. They come on to the show to do these amazing things, and the audience "bets" if they'll actually manage to do them. Then they leave, happy if they succeeded, a bit deflated if they didn't.

If You Bet was around nowadays it would be twice as long, involve half the stunts and have twenty minutes of build-up in which we discover the contestants' entire family history. If they didn't succeed then there would be floods of tears, followed by a Coldplay-backed montage showing their "journey". gently caress that poo poo indeed.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I keep noticing judges on these reality shows keep saying things like "I have the feeling that you think this is your last chance." Mostly to old people, but who gives a gently caress? Some people get famous, some don't, does it matter?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't you understand? You have to be FAMOUS. You don't need to be famous for something, the fame itself is the whole of the thing.

If you're not famous you're nothing! All that time you spent doing something rare and amazing? gently caress that unless the weekly mags are doing two page splashes on you every issue.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Also money. And we all know, whoever dies with the most stuff wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kin posted:

Got to quote this again in agreement too. gently caress those judges.