Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Podothehobbit posted:

Well just finished the Tucson event and had a blast. Must not have been driving aggressive enough because I didn't even nudge one cone.

Here, have a best run video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo0mZ7Ol1rk

Wish I'd been able to make it, that course was pretty awesome the last time they ran it.

Completely off-topic, when you aren't autocrossing it, what sort of mileage do you get in that Yaris, and what is your overall impression of the car now that you've had it for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Wish I'd been able to make it, that course was pretty awesome the last time they ran it.

Completely off-topic, when you aren't autocrossing it, what sort of mileage do you get in that Yaris, and what is your overall impression of the car now that you've had it for a while?

The course was a blast the second time around! As for typical mileage? I'm getting about 33 in city. The Yaris is definitely a little quirky car and really does remind me of the late 80's to early 90's Japanese sub compacts before they got bloated. The paint is cheap, the interior is nice, there is a surprising amount of room in the engine bay to work in, and the center speedometer has its haters but hasn't bothered me much.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

Ziploc posted:

Brampton better not be to far from you.

I expect to see you at these:
http://www.hadamotorsport.com/?page_id=3
http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/ PITL hasn't firmed up their dates OR told us the venue yet. It was also in Brampton last year.

I'm probably gonna be coming out to the HADA next weekend. You guys gonna be there? I don't wanna be a helpless newbie. Going to be driving my Acura 1.6 EL

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Zuiko-Digital posted:

I'm probably gonna be coming out to the HADA next weekend. You guys gonna be there? I don't wanna be a helpless newbie. Going to be driving my Acura 1.6 EL

I should be there. Green Miata with fancyish looking stickers very likely #102. Hit me up to use my camera and mount for an onboard run.

EDIT: This guy:

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 27, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Zuiko-Digital posted:

I might, that or/and the PITL one the week after. I'll be the slow guy in a pontiac sunfire. :D

Ziploc, I'd love to use your camera/mount for a run if you're there.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

I might, that or/and the PITL one the week after. I'll be the slow guy in a pontiac sunfire. :D

Ziploc, I'd love to use your camera/mount for a run if you're there.

Take a look at my YouTube channel and then tell me if you think I'll say no. :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedsterGuyCoverage

EDIT: Do a bro a favor and pick a number that's not near #102 to make video-ing easier. :v:

EDIT2: Either of you going to the PITL open house this Saturday? Karting!

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 28, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Take a look at my YouTube channel and then tell me if you think I'll say no. :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedsterGuyCoverage

EDIT: Do a bro a favor and pick a number that's not near #102 to make video-ing easier. :v:

I get to pick my number?? :D 15 if I can get it.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
Had a great day of autox today at El Toro. They almost cancelled this morning due to high winds but everyone opted to wait a bit to see if it would die down and it paid off. Everyone still got their 12 runs for the day even though we started at 11 instead of 9 and the course was awesome. I took a friend of mine that was going for the first time and by the end of the day he managed to figure out the course and not spin his car (S2000), which were his goals.

Here's my fastest run, it was good for my car (stock class STI on street tires) but about 10 seconds slower than TTOD. We have some REALLY fast cars and drivers in our region.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90rFOaJdY9Y

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lazor posted:

Had a great day of autox today at El Toro. They almost cancelled this morning due to high winds but everyone opted to wait a bit to see if it would die down and it paid off. Everyone still got their 12 runs for the day even though we started at 11 instead of 9 and the course was awesome. I took a friend of mine that was going for the first time and by the end of the day he managed to figure out the course and not spin his car (S2000), which were his goals.

Here's my fastest run, it was good for my car (stock class STI on street tires) but about 10 seconds slower than TTOD. We have some REALLY fast cars and drivers in our region.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90rFOaJdY9Y

How do you have such an awesome site, with 80 second runs, and yet have a low enough turnout to get in 12 runs while not starting until 11am? Holy crap. We rarely get more than 8 runs (4 comp, 4 time only if you sign up for them) and we have much shorter courses with the first car out by 8:30-8:45, and finish up around 4pm.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

How do you have such an awesome site, with 80 second runs, and yet have a low enough turnout to get in 12 runs while not starting until 11am? Holy crap. We rarely get more than 8 runs (4 comp, 4 time only if you sign up for them) and we have much shorter courses with the first car out by 8:30-8:45, and finish up around 4pm.

On the competition day that's what we do too (4 comp and 4 time only if you pay for them) but this was a practice day with limited entries. I think they had about 100 people signed up which is large because we usually have around 70 or 80 for practice days. After they said that we were going to wait and make a decision some people didn't want to risk it or had to leave early so they left and about 65 stayed. It ran very efficiently from there and we got everyone their 12 runs by 5:30. Today at the competition they may have over 150 people so things will be a bit different.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I went to my first Packwood even yesterday and did horribly. I got 5th out of 6 in ST1. It turns out that I didn't air up my tires enough and was rolling over a lot so it cost me a lot of time. Packwood is an awesome site though. most of the runs were in the 60's-70's fastest that I heard was a 58. There was also a guy with a Formula Ford out there that was just awesome to watch and it sounded amazing. Unfortunately I didn't get and pics of it while it was running.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

Note that sometimes it just comes down to organization and how the event is run.
MOWOG (Minnesota) events tend to do 6 competition runs which are well over a minute in course that allow for it with up to 150 people. Then there are fun runs.
Meanwhile some of the CA clubs struggle to get 3-4 30-40 second runs with similar or less numbers.
The CA clubs even seem to start earlier.
Part of the problem is the asinine morning/afternoon run group system, the lack of a real online registration system, stupid intra-club drama, a lot of "well we've always done it this way"ism, course designs that aren't designed well (why I'm not a safety steward is a long story, and a certain group running off SFR is going to get SFR sued someday when a car takes out a group of "non-particpants"), and some crappy equipment. The last one is a function of money and I get that. The other two are fixable except that the fat old white guys with corvettes (who run everything) like it that way.
The way many of these clubs run events are suited for getting 300 people out for 3 runs. Many of these groups (including even SFR at the end of the season) don't get half or even 1/3 of that and stick to these crazy routines despite that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

Note that sometimes it just comes down to organization and how the event is run.
MOWOG (Minnesota) events tend to do 6 competition runs which are well over a minute in course that allow for it with up to 150 people.

How are MOWOG events organized - run group wise?

We historically run 8 run groups (4 morning, 4 afternoon) designed to allow 3 runs each for 240 entries. Since our attendance is currently down somewhat, we've dropped to 6 run groups and are typically getting 4 runs, and sometimes 5 runs (the last two run groups are time only runs).

I'm certainly interested in finding out how other clubs manage to run more cars through longer courses. I've seen how the Tours and Nationals are run, and I've seen some really laid-back small attendance groups as well as all of the AZ area groups, but new information and systems are always interesting and I'm always interested in learning new stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lazor posted:

but this was a practice day with limited entries.

Gotcha. We get tons of runs when we do a practice day also, for the same reason (limited entries).

Thanks.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I did an autocross today.

Oops.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

How are MOWOG events organized - run group wise?

We historically run 8 run groups (4 morning, 4 afternoon) designed to allow 3 runs each for 240 entries. Since our attendance is currently down somewhat, we've dropped to 6 run groups and are typically getting 4 runs, and sometimes 5 runs (the last two run groups are time only runs).

I'm certainly interested in finding out how other clubs manage to run more cars through longer courses. I've seen how the Tours and Nationals are run, and I've seen some really laid-back small attendance groups as well as all of the AZ area groups, but new information and systems are always interesting and I'm always interested in learning new stuff.
MOWOG events have 2 run groups. Each run group divided into 2 work groups.
Group 1 runs (3 runs)/ half of group 2 works
Group 2 runs /half of group 1 works
Group 1 runs / half of group 2 works
Group 2 runs / half of group 1 works
No breaks except of course that part you have off.

Large venues can have nearly 2 minute run times with 6 run. The smallest venue is 30-40 seconds with 8 runs.

MOWOG events are capped. 150 at the largest sites, down to 100 at smaller sites, mostly due to lack of grid space. They do online signups (pre-pay) and early in the season, they will fill in 24-48hrs after opening, though they do have signups on the day of the event and claim they have never turned down anyone who has shown up.

One really good thing they do in all but one venue (due to space) is have people park in the grid ahead of time meaning there is no delay in moving cars. This is not possible with 6 or 8 run groups, but with 2, you can have 2 grids and just leave the cars there.
It is a pretty decent system for small to medium size events, and I think the benefits justify limiting event size.
Also, the online setup and all day event means that run groups can be swapped on the fly. If street tire and stock have a lot more sign ups than normal, they can be moved around the make the run groups even.

For SFR, which can have 300 people early in the season, their setup of 6 run groups and 3 runs makes sense.
1 run/3 work
2 run/1 work
3 run/2 work
4 run/6 work
5 run/4 work
6 run/5 work
It does a better job of churning people through work and runs than the MOWOG system.
However, late in the season or smaller areas (Sac, fresno, Empire), signups can be less than 100. That setup or even a modified 4 run group setup sucks. It leads to a shortage of workers in less popular RGs. It also limits the number of runs because of the excess time used in swapping things about.
Don't get me started about tech on grid.
I also think the half-day format cuts down on the camaraderie and what not that makes autocross fun. MOWOG is the most social group of AXers I've participated in. (Fresno is pretty good as well, but with 20-40 people it is hard to not be).

One thing everyone needs is prepaid sign ups where there is a benefit to signing up early. It lets people set up the RGs for maximum efficiency. Of course, a lot of groups still use paper time slips, so good luck with that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

Oops.

You can't just leave that here with no story. Words. :colbert:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Slow is Fast posted:

Oops.

Congrats on doing the impossible

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

You can't just leave that here with no story. Words. :colbert:
That's just so he can adjust his suspension easier.
I suspect that isn't class legal either.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Went around a turn. lovely stock suspension + body roll leaned the cars fender liner on the tire. Fender liner rips off and gets pooped out the side of the car. While that was going on, the dorky mudflap I have on the car got pulled forward onto the wheel by the fender liner, causing the flap and bottom of the outer fender to ride up the wheel crunching up.

I finished my run. :c00l:

Fender looked worse than it was, but I unbolted it and tossed it aside rather than trying to uncrunch it and rehang it.

I honestly don't know how the gently caress I managed to do that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Illegal weight reduction. You don't have any spurglords that didn't go crazy over that?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

nm posted:

Illegal weight reduction. You don't have any spurglords that didn't go crazy over that?

I was running in street mod, friend jokingly threatened to protest me if I beat him, thankfully there were few of us in the class, pretty much my friends and some guy who whoops rear end in his built car who wouldn't give a poo poo about fenderless ol' me. The regulars just sperged about the usual stuff instead of my classing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

MOWOG events have 2 run groups. Each run group divided into 2 work groups.

Snip a bunch of :words:

Thanks. We've never (as a group) been willing to limit attendance artificially, except for specific special events (like if we run on the road course or practice days).

A couple of things you mentioned we certainly do, like online registration and allowing pre-payment.

Something we do in order to speed things up, is annual tech (SCCA members can fill out some paperwork and only do tech once per year, then self tech at each event).

I personally think we should eliminate our mid-day split, but I'm in the minority, so we still do a morning/afternoon split, even though we only to time-only runs in the last two run-groups.

We don't have enough room at our normal events to pre-grid, but when we do have the space, we'll grid two groups at once to help with change-over speed.

As far as worker shortage goes, we 'force' equalize run group size to help alleviate that problem.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

Thanks. We've never (as a group) been willing to limit attendance artificially, except for specific special events (like if we run on the road course or practice days).

A couple of things you mentioned we certainly do, like online registration and allowing pre-payment.
The good thing about limiting is that you can force people to pre-register and pay without really requiring it.

Annual tech is a great thing. they did that in MN and SFR but not sac or fresno.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

I should be there. Green Miata with fancyish looking stickers very likely #102. Hit me up to use my camera and mount for an onboard run.

EDIT: This guy:

Okay, so I can't wait. Here's what I've got on my list of stuff to bring so far...

Food
Chair
Painters Tape
Tools? I have no idea what I should bring here...
I don't have a powered pump, but I could bring a bicycle one I guess.

Saturday is supposed to be 18C and sunny :dance:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Garbage bags. I always have 4 or 5. They are great for waterproof/private way to store your trunk items in the paddock and can also be emergency rain ponchos. (thankfully I have umbrellas)

That reminds me, I gotta pick up some tape.

I've never had to use tools. I have an incomplete super lovely socket set in my trunk I've never had to use. People bum it from me to take off their plates though. I've got a car pump/tire guage you can borrow. Most people there do.

If I remember right, Saturday's lunch is included! Pizza and Samosas Though water/sunscreen is a good idea.

Bring cameras. I need b-roll footage. :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TrueChaos posted:

Okay, so I can't wait. Here's what I've got on my list of stuff to bring so far...

Food
Chair
Painters Tape
Tools? I have no idea what I should bring here...
I don't have a powered pump, but I could bring a bicycle one I guess.

Saturday is supposed to be 18C and sunny :dance:

Maybe I'm just overkill, but I bring my entire toolbox to every AutoX. Then again, the Miata is the first car that's been considered "utterly reliable" by the local club's standards. It's been all Bimmers and a 1980 F250 up until now.

(Basically I'm paranoid about poo poo breaking and always carry tools)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

If I remember right, Saturday's lunch is included! Pizza and Samosas Though water/sunscreen is a good idea.

Bring cameras. I need b-roll footage. :v:

Ooo Really? That's awesome! I'll probably bring some food anyway, just in case. I'd completely forgotten about water/sunscreen, and I'll definitely bring a camera.

E: Ziploc, how long do the events usually last? Like 4pm? 5? 7?

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Novice Class was fun. And all season RSA's suck balls.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
^^ Howed your front mudflaps/fender extensions hold up? I had a friend with a G8 who refused to air up his tires. He ended up grounding the little plastic things around the front wheels due to body roll and sidewall roll.

TrueChaos posted:

E: Ziploc, how long do the events usually last? Like 4pm? 5? 7?

Typically your out around anywhere between 3-5pm depending on turnout, runs, marshal scheduling, and funruns.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Okay, that was awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to come out next weekend as well.

Ziploc, any chance you could post the run of mine you video'd? I'd love to see it.

I placed last, though I wasn't too far behind people in my class. Everyone else there had significantly better vehicles than I did, and it was just a hole tonne of fun. Definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence, if only because of the chance to really just make the tires scream and see how your car performs at the edge.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TrueChaos posted:

Everyone else there had significantly better vehicles than I did

Wrong. You're a poo poo driver. Get over it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Hey FatCow, you mentioned that there was a PDR guy that would come to some of your events. Let me know when he does that again, I want to throw some cash at him. Maybe I'll spend the day setting up cones too.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
There is usually an annual dent day. I can shoot you a note when it comes up or send you his info. I have his card around here somewhere.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

I had fun, you're just being an rear end. ;)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Having fun is the biggest aspect of it, but please don't blame your car for the reason why you're slow. :D

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Having fun is the biggest aspect of it, but please don't blame your car for the reason why you're slow. :D

I wasn't, I meant that as a comment on the kinds of cars that showed up, not as an excuse. It was my first time, I expected to be last/almost last. There were a few people within a half second of me, and my first few times were in the 50-51sec time. I wanted to get into the 47's, and I managed one clean run in the 47's closer to the end of the day. I'm sure I'll do better at the next one!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

Ziploc, any chance you could post the run of mine you video'd? I'd love to see it.

Yea. Expect the lot of them uploaded in the next few days to here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedsterGuyCoverage

Phone posted:

Dewd. He was driving a tired Sunfire on it's original suspension pushing all season tires to the ground. (No offence) We also had a small turnout. There wasn't much for him to compete with on an even level. He definitely didn't make a fool of himself.

EDIT: I bet some stickier tires and some nice shocks would go a long way making that car quicker.

Event wasn't that well organized. Weird classes, piles of missclassed cars, unclear run groups, timing issues, the lot. Course was fun as heck though.

I did manage to do the impossible though. I completely blew the bus-stop and I knew it. So I just ran over the exit cone since I didn't have a change of making it through cleanly. (Too much speed) Well the cone got flattened in the chalked box and popped right back up without moving. Organizers called it a clean run. :coal:

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 8, 2011

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Wish I was independently wealthy. I'd buy a really nice RV, put the car on a trailer behind it, and travel around the country stopping at all the local autocross events for all the different 'flavor' that you get at the local level. I think that would be a great way to see the country, and get to meet lots of nice car people in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
A warning as summer approaches: drink lots of water and try to stay in the shade when possible.

We had someone faint yesterday in grid due to heat exhaustion

• Locked thread