Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Crotch Bat posted:

This is me. Although what frustrates me is seeing a legitimate myth given to the B team so they can tard it up. They rarely run into pure myths anymore and this one actually had potential that they later just threw aside.

Seeing the ice grow from the slow drip was really cool, though, and the big chunk breaking off and zipping away was crazy.

Yeah, B team really hosed that potentially-interesting myth up. What made it even worse was that in the clips leading up to it, before and during the show, they showed the solid, slow-frozen block of ice being dropped. Then they show the ice actually forming, and you think "cool, it actually works", knowing the whole time that they're going to use a block of hard, solid ice instead of recreating the sort of ice that would've formed on the plane.

To top it off, they said the myth was "confirmed" instead of "plausible". Even if they recreated the results with a quickly frozen chunk of loose ice, it'd be nothing more than "plausible" because the myth wasn't about if ice could possibly form from blue airplane toilet water and fall in a solid chunk. The myth was about the water being dumped all at once and freezing instantly... the phenomenon is plausible, but not in the way it was described in the myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They always present a "worst case scenario." I have no issue with the bucket ice.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

Toucan Sam posted:

As long as i can watch Inside West Coast Customs and Chasing Classic Cars we'll be fine.

I'm definitely seconding this. Though Chasing Classic cars got kinda old for me after watching it semi-religiously when I first discovered it. I think the reruns is what caused that problem, though.

What's with the new theme music on Inside West Coast Customs. I liked it better when it was Street Customs. The show is just as good though. :)

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
The new music kind of sucks but i like what they do so i can fast forward the music. My wife really likes the show also so it's a good show we can watch together.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

They always present a "worst case scenario." I have no issue with the bucket ice.

Yeah I thought the blue ice myth was the best one they've had in a while. It's one of those things you just never think about, but if you stop for a second you say "huh, that's interesting."

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Toucan Sam posted:

The new music kind of sucks but i like what they do so i can fast forward the music. My wife really likes the show also so it's a good show we can watch together.

Yeah, Rascal Flatts just doesn't really work for them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just started watching Gold Rush, and goddamn, those guys are dumb.
Also, Todd is a loving rear end in a top hat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This actually looks like a fun explosion myth. Mostly because its not trying to replicate a specific instance and instead is just doing a trend.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:psyduck:

They are testing a myth they've already done and a myth that was confirmed in the first test. If PLYWOOD is 'bomb proof,' is anyone actually surprised at the fact a car, dumpster, or a concrete wall is too?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I guess when they thought the myth up, they were expecting to be able to use a lot more than 3 pounds of C4.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't it just be easier to run more than 20 feet away? It's not like 20 feet is all that far.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

They should have done it much closer than the extreme edge of the blast radius. All you have to do is step 1 foot away from 20 feet to 21 feet and by their own testing, nothing happens. As long as the blast wave shielding from the object was equivalent to one foot of distance, bam the test passes.

For the injury test I'd like to have seen the object at 11 or 15 feet, and similarly for the death test, at something like 5-6 feet.

I don't have a problem with the premise of the test but I would have liked to see them understand the dynamics of what they were doing better, but on the other hand that seems to be the #1 thing they screw up most of the time. Spend a ton of money on setup, and then make some weird small decision that makes the test pointless.

Still I have been enjoying Season 9 much more than Season 8 so at least that's that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Rakthar posted:

They should have done it much closer than the extreme edge of the blast radius. All you have to do is step 1 foot away from 20 feet to 21 feet and by their own testing, nothing happens. As long as the blast wave shielding from the object was equivalent to one foot of distance, bam the test passes.

I assumed that they put the pressure gauges at the 20-and-10 feet marks and the objects in front of them, not the objects at 20-and-10 and the gauges somewhere behind them. B Team can be pretty stupid, but you'd think that at least Grant would have the common sense to put their pressure gauges the right distance away.

It doesn't matter if the hypothetical movie hero could step backward another foot to avoid injury, they were testing different things to see if they're effective blast shields. As it turns out, they were. The gauges burst at 20 feet and 10 feet with no shielding, and didn't with shielding, and that's what matters. That being said they could've just done the table and dumpster and left out the car and wall. Two solid barriers would definitely hold up if a dumpster and plywood table were safe.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tewratomeh posted:

I assumed that they put the pressure gauges at the 20-and-10 feet marks and the objects in front of them, not the objects at 20-and-10 and the gauges somewhere behind them.

When they're setting up the final wall you can see that the measuring tape starts where the detectors are.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Is anyone else catching the show Human Planet? Its definitely interesting, but its seems like the speed through a lot of the groups they go to, like in Jungles and Grasslands they go to a specific tribe to show them breast feeding a monkey and thats the only thing they say about the tribe. Also why is catching water snakes in Cambodia part of grasslands and jungles?

some scenes and groups of people are amazingly filmed (like mongols hunting with birds, but again why is this in mountains?), but it seems pretty poorly put together and rushes through a lot of groups

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last night's episode of Mythbusters was really lackluster. Adam and Jamie's myth was really dull and they disproved it in the very first test. While the build team's myth they ended up giving up on the arrow part too quickly and just spent the rest of their time blowing up trees.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

MrDingleDangle posted:

Is anyone else catching the show Human Planet? Its definitely interesting, but its seems like the speed through a lot of the groups they go to, like in Jungles and Grasslands they go to a specific tribe to show them breast feeding a monkey and thats the only thing they say about the tribe. Also why is catching water snakes in Cambodia part of grasslands and jungles?

some scenes and groups of people are amazingly filmed (like mongols hunting with birds, but again why is this in mountains?), but it seems pretty poorly put together and rushes through a lot of groups
It sounds like Discovery edited two episodes of the original BBC series into one and did so badly. The original was amazing and definitely didn't suffer from the same problems. As for your questions about why stuff was in certain episodes maybe they cut out certain scenes that made it clear but the water snakes live in the Cambodian jungle and the bird hunting was with Kazakhs and was very much in the mountains.

tenh19
Jul 11, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Last night's episode of Mythbusters was really lackluster. Adam and Jamie's myth was really dull and they disproved it in the very first test. While the build team's myth they ended up giving up on the arrow part too quickly and just spent the rest of their time blowing up trees.

I agree. I turned it off halfway through, and I wasn't even paying much attention. I hate it when the myths essentially become excuses to blow things up. The best myths are usually the ones with a substantial engineering component to it, like the Hwacha, but so far this season, they've done little of that in lieu of simple gun or explosive myths. While Jamie and Adam's part had that, but it doesn't help when the myth itself is yawn-worthy.

tenh19 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 28, 2011

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

tenh19 posted:

I agree. I turned it off halfway through, and I wasn't even paying much attention. I hate it when the myths essentially become excuses to blow things up. The best myths are usually the ones with a substantial engineering component to it, like the Hwacha, but so far this season, they've done little of that in lieu of simple gun or explosive myths. While Jamie and Adam's part had that, but it doesn't help when the myth itself is yawn-worthy.

I'm getting real tired of them spoiling the outcome in the previews. If this show wasn't embarrassingly bad I would stop watching.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

They really should just abandon pretense and change the format to Jaime and Adam build stupid poo poo for a ridiculous competition while the build team blows poo poo up and/or shoots it for no particular reason.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish Netflix would put up MythBusters seasons 6+ already. Anyone know if that's going to happen any time soon?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Asmodai_00 posted:

I'm getting real tired of them spoiling the outcome in the previews. If this show wasn't embarrassingly bad I would stop watching.

Yeah who ever is controlling the edit of this show doesn't seem to understand how a tease is supposed to work. You don't show the actual outcome, you TEASE it. Half the time there is no point to sitting through an entire episode since you can see the outcome of the myths when the show starts, or before commercials within the first 30 minutes.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Yeah, I thought they had gotten better about the teasers, but this past episode was horrible about actually showing the outcomes of stuff.

Oh and did anyone else almost get mad thinking this episode was one of those "awesome" remix ones? The snippet of Adam in the circular pool of water reminded me of the whirlpool one.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

IRQ posted:

They really should just abandon pretense and change the format to Jaime and Adam build stupid poo poo for a ridiculous competition while the build team blows poo poo up and/or shoots it for no particular reason.
Basically they should become the show Braniac tried to be.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

IRQ posted:

I think they should make the show into an hour of the entire team taking old sayings and/or superstitions and re-enacting them with explosives. Like for the tradition of predicting the weather with a groundhog on Groundhog Day, they could dig a huge groundhog hole, put Buster in a groundhog suit in the hole, and then blow it up. For "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", they rig up two exploding birds in a bush on the bomb range, and then make a ballistics gel hand holding a bird which they then shoot at with various caliber guns. Kari could also set the bush on fire for no particular reason, and maybe paint the birds silly colors and add Jamie and Adam features like a beret and some glasses.

MetalGnomes
Jan 27, 2011

Any other Canucks excited for the start of the new season of Canada's Worst Handyman? It's always hilarious, so I've loved every season.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MetalGnomes posted:

Any other Canucks excited for the start of the new season of Canada's Worst Handyman? It's always hilarious, so I've loved every season.

I always change the channel when Canada's Worst [anything] comes on :smith:

MetalGnomes
Jan 27, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I always change the channel when Canada's Worst [anything] comes on :smith:

:( Well that's no good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I wish someone would make a Mythbusters Special Edit.

Take out all the teasers, all the repetition of clips and the constant restating of the myth.

Make it nice and lean like season 1. Well, except each episode would only go 30 minutes once all the fluff is removed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There actually are 30 minute cuts of some Mythbusters seasons. I think Science Channel runs them or something like that.

And yes it's better than the hour long version even though it's the older seasons that were way less padded than the newer ones.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Asmodai_00 posted:

Last week's was horrible.

Intro Clip: What's bombproof?

Tory literally 15 seconds after that standing beside a dumpster: "Yep, that's bombproof".

:stare:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

spankmeister posted:

Basically they should become the show Braniac tried to be.
Interesting little fact. The Mythbusters actually tested an act of fraud that braniac actually perpetuated.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MetalGnomes posted:

But the Red Green Show ended in 2006 :confused:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MadScientistWorking posted:

Interesting little fact. The Mythbusters actually tested an act of fraud that braniac actually perpetuated.

I don't know what Braniac is, could you explain which myth it was?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

30 seconds into this week's Mythbuster's and they've spoiled both myths.

:sigh:

E:"FROM THIS MOMENT ON, THIS BOTTLE BECOMES A PRESSURE VESSEL, POTENTIALLY HOUSING THE KIND OF FORCE TO TURN A WINE BOTTLE INTO A MACHINE GUN"

Really?

E2: They came back from commercial, had a 15 second recap, showed Adam and Jamie's progress for a minute and 15 seconds, then went back to the build team.

E3: 2 minutes for the build team, then back to Adam and Jamie.

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 5, 2011

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't know what Braniac is, could you explain which myth it was?

Brainiac was a cheap Mythbusters knockoff made in the UK, they "Proved" the existence of the brown note if I recall correctly.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Asmodai_00 posted:

30 seconds into this week's Mythbuster's and they've spoiled both myths.

On this episode of Mythbusters, can an X, really X?

(cut to reaction shot of Adam and Jamie)

Adam: I can't believe that worked!
Jamie: Wow.

Anyway, it was a pretty decent episode this week apart from the build team's "the corks didn't go exactly 100 feet so it's busted!" stupidity. They even said at the beginning that the wine truck story actually happened.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know what they were thinking putting nearly 300 pounds of thrust behind an object Adam and/or Jamie could easily carry. Those torpedoes couldn't have weighed much more than 50 or 60, no wonder they all went bezerk.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I agree with most of the criticism Mythbusters is getting lately, however I still enjoy watching it.

Them busting the myth because the corks didnt't fly 100 feet is pretty dumb though, at least give it a plausible or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

I don't know what they were thinking putting nearly 300 pounds of thrust behind an object Adam and/or Jamie could easily carry. Those torpedoes couldn't have weighed much more than 50 or 60, no wonder they all went bezerk.

Speaking as someone who as a kid used to build boats out of Lego and strap model rocket engines to them and shoot them across my friend's pool, this was hilarious and awesome.

• Locked thread