Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I didn't know if it would read. Crisis averted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Oh, awesome.

My manager (I work at a restaurant) just hired the girl he's dating and got into a battle royale with the fellow server who lives with him (who also happens to be in love with him.)

Good lord, I need to get into grad school or find a job in my field asap

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Oh, awesome.

My manager (I work at a restaurant) just hired the girl he's dating and got into a battle royale with the fellow server who lives with him (who also happens to be in love with him.)

Good lord, I need to get into grad school or find a job in my field asap

It's just like high school all over again, isn't it? :suicide:

I'm still not absolutely sure about this job, but my friend is telling me they're hiring anyone who didn't bomb their interview, and mine went pretty well. The problem is that I have to wait until right after the schedule normally comes in to find out if I got the position, so I'm in a bind of either quitting now and risking not having a job if this doesn't work out, or just accepting getting fired or whatever for not being able to come in if I do get it, kinda screwing over the small handful of decent people that work there. I sincerely doubt they'd let me have ANOTHER week off without saying "you should probably just quit" or something like that.

Be careful, or be a dick? It's a tough call... :ohdear:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

I didn't know if it would read. Crisis averted.

I had to tilt my head sideways, but yeah that was the funniest part.

Do you really look like that guy btw?

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

Be careful, or be a dick? It's a tough call... :ohdear:

Although it can be really tough not to, you really shouldn't quit a job before you've been offered another. "Sure things" don't always work out, as you know, and you could be risking a lot by losing your income.

It sucks, I know, but hang in there until the moment the new place says "When can you start?" then you can say "Straight away, boss!" before calling your old place and telling them to suck a bag of... lemons.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I start at T-Mobile tomorrow! I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories again. For $12 an hour base, though, I can handle a lot more stupidity.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I had to tilt my head sideways, but yeah that was the funniest part.

Do you really look like that guy btw?

The employee, yes.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I had a very confused, very grumpy old lady pick up her computer the other day. Coupled with the fact that my supervisor took her computer in originally, and you have a bad combo. He loves to over-promise things, tell the customer we'll do tons of things, but not mention any of them on the work order, so none of it gets done if anyone besides him works on the computer. Normally it's silly things like making a shortcut to Yahoo or Solitaire on the desktop, but it'd be nice to be able to take care of them ahead of time.

The service she got was a complete reformat and an installation of our managed antivirus program.

He told this lady:
- We'd vacuum out/dust her computer
- Back up and restore her desktop icons
- Back up and restore her 'poker toolbar' in IE
- Provide her with an installation CD of the managed antivirus

He didn't mention any of these on the work order, of course. #4 is impossible, as the antivirus program is download-only from our intranet, there is no CD, we're not supposed to give the installation program to the customers. If they need to reinstall it, they have to come to us. Dumb, but that's policy.

She comes to pick it up and is immediately not happy. She demands we give her the antivirus installation CD, which I tell her is not possible. She doesn't understand that you can install programs from the internet, so from her point of view this must mean we didn't install it and are trying to cheat her out of her money. She insists that my supervisor assured her that she would get a CD. She can also see the tower is pretty dusty. She tells us that he also assured her we'd dust out the PC.

I apologize, and tell her we can clean it out right now, it will only take about 5 minutes. She starts making a scene, calls me worthless, and demands a manager. He tells her the same thing I already told her. She agrees to come back after she dropped her great-granddaughter off.

I do my best the clean the PC inside and out. It was pretty dusty, and had we not been so overwhelmed with work, we might've taken the time to clean it regardless.

When she comes back, she's satisfied with the cleanliness, but still wants a CD. I don't think she even understood what the internet was, so it's just not getting through to her. She demands to speak to my supervisor, the one who sold her the service. He's not here today, but she insists that he is. "No no, he called me an hour ago!" I tell her that I'm the one who called her, I even said my name on the phone. She insists that I said my name was my supervisor's. Our names aren't even remotely similar. She then says that I'm lying, I lied about my name on the phone for some reason. I tell her again and again I was the one who spoke with her, I repeated my greeting verbatim, but she insisted that's not what I said at all.

When we hooked up her computer, it looked nothing like it had before since it had been reformatted. She had no recollection of what any of the icons or shortcuts were, but she wanted them back anyway. We got Solitaire and Yahoo shortcuts on the desktop, I guess those were the most important.

She's finally satisfied, after assuring her that she can still get on other websites, we don't need to "install" them for her. Before she leaves she again tells me that we're all useless, and that we shouldn't lie to our senior citizens, and so on. Didn't even get a thank you for carrying the computer to her car for her.

I can understand her frustration in that some of what she was promised did not occur, but even when I was able to quickly do most of them on the spot, she was still very angry and rude. Calling someone useless to their face is not going to get you any favors. I'd also like to know how she completely misunderstood me on the phone, and insisted I was lying when I told her what I said. The world must be a scary place for some old people, I guess.

sunpocket
Dec 30, 2003

I got into work yesterday for my jewelry shift and saw a note on my register that two ladies, Pam and Peggy, were coming in later to buy two rings and a bracelet that were being held under one of the counters. Turns out they are strippers from the strip club across the river which has a performer with a highly visible C-section scar. Sad stuff.

When they came by I recognized them immediately. Two black women who were old enough to go into cougar territory. Their hands gave their age away. I don't want to go into detail but they were extremely skeezy.

Immediately both of them said they weren't going to buy the bracelets that they had held the day before. We have a 70%-off diamond jewelry sale that lasts most of the year. One of the ladies claimed the original price of the ring she'd looked at was $350. It was in fact $1100-something and $350 was the sale price. She was upset. She then took about 15 minutes looking for another ring, the ugly loving guady diamond rings that no one has bought since 2001 because they're godawful pieces of overpriced poo poo. They spend about a billion hours deliberating about how the baguette diamonds just make that ring just look like shiny gold from far away and how this one with the other diamonds are cleaner and is it gold-over-silver or solid because GOS tends to tarnish faster and I can only nod and smile. One of them buys the ring and the other a perfume.

I had been told in advance that they have a history at our store. They buy jewelry, use it for the weekend, and then return it all gunked up or try to commit return fraud by returning other jewelry that they got somewhere else. I was told to use lots of hand sanitizer afterwards.

They paid in cash :barf:

Today I had to come in at 5 am to do the ad, and about 45 minutes before I get to go home they roll in. They want to return the ring they bought yesterday. They see me and say, "Oh you're the lady who checked us out yesterday!!!" while I was thinking, "gently caress no I do not want to deal with angry strippers," which is the first time I've ever thought that thought. They want to exchange the ring they bought yesterday for a different one. They don't have their receipt ("It blew away" though to be fair it was loving windy yesterday so it might be true).

They want to do an exchange so we played the "How much? ok HOW MUCH FOR THIS ONE? okay how about THIS one???? Okay that first one, how much was that again??" game again for five minutes. They showed me the ring they wanted to return, and it looked fine when she had it on her finger. The softlines manager asked me, since she's especially annoyed at them after all these years, ARE YOU SURE IT'S THE SAME ONE, and I said it looked the same as the one I sold them yesterday. The design was distinct so I figured I couldn't be mistaken and they were just returning it after looking pretty the night before.

The band on the ring they returned was all oxidized on the inner part and some of the baguette diamonds were missing. Either did some serious corrosive damage in one night (:gonk:) to the ring or they bought a similar ring months ago and exchanged the old one for a new one. I had to put it in the damages case because it was so tarnished.

I feel bad that I may have let them commit exchange fraud again though. :sigh: I thought they returned jewelry after a weekend of working, not after a year or so. They had all sorts of horrible rings on their fingers so I hope I don't have to deal with their poo poo again because I won't be as nice.

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

Everyone I know keeps telling me I should apply for geek squad, at Best Buy. Anyone have any experience or stories about working for or even using geek squad?

You will rarely get to fix things. Very rarely. You will either box it and ship it off to a service center, or hook it up to AJU (Agent Jonny Utah, remote repair). You will charge 200 dollars for a "diagnostic/repair", which is basically a virus removal with a hardware diagnostic. Yes, you have to sell the diagnostic with it.

You will have sales numbers you have to hit (Percentage attach rate on new computers of services, old computer repair budget), and will also be required to pitch credit cards/whatever the hell management feels like that week. You will get to deal with issues when the service center doesn't fix them. You will be berated because something broke in shipping (Computers are shipped UPS, including all-in-ones like the iMac, which have no special box) and the store has to eat the repair cost. Clients will hate you because things will come back broken all the time. Pray to the gods when you ship out a cell phone, as the third party company that does it (Touchstone Wireless) is absolutely loving terrible.

You will be working on a computer when the sales floor manager comes out to pull you to sell more computers. Your turn time will shoot through the roof, causing both clients and management will get onto your for (even though management caused it). You might work with some awesome people, but most of the people in Geek Squad honestly have no clue about anything related to technology. Your interview MIGHT have ONE technical question in it, but it's mostly the same mundane sales bullshit of most retail jobs. Except there are three interviews (sometimes four).

The only good part about it is the company forums (forums.geeksquadcentral.com) are cool as gently caress.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Yay! We no longer need to call a Manager to approve price overrides!

Boo! We now need to log the sku, description, price difference, reason, who authorized, transaction number, etc., to do a price override.

So it's easier on the managers, 'easier' on the cashiers, but it takes much longer for the cashiers/customers to complete the transaction.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Does anyone have any insight on working for "The Container Store"? I applied last week and was about to give them a call, but then an employee came in to work and I started talking to her about her job. She seemed super enthusiastic and willing to hang around and talk for a few minutes, but she said she never called them about the application- they called her- and she said that calling the hiring manager might not be such a good idea since he's been really busy lately.. but that was last week, a day or two after I applied. Their website says they attempt to get back with every applicant- yes or no- within a week, but it's been a little over a week now.. Should I call, or just wait?

Edit: Yay, 2 write-ups today! It's a wonder that I'm still employed.

TShields fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 2, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Send a short, polite, direct, well-written email.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

greazeball posted:

Send a short, polite, direct, well-written email.

I ended up calling anyway and someone took down my name and number so they can call me back. It seemed like they did that all the time since she offered, so I guess I can expect a call back tomorrow.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Apocalypse Please posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Do you have any input on other ways to succeed in the interview? I think I remember that the other questions were pretty easy, usually "what have you done in your department that a supervisor would do?", "detail a customer issue and how you resolved it," "detail a coworker issue and how you resolved it," and that was mostly it.

If i got the position it would basically be a 50% raise. I have a B.S. and have work experience so I am qualified, they are just hesitant to hire someone into a $20 million (or $5 million for the other)/ year department who hasn't suped before.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I was busy not working retail this weekend. :D

I guess I'm not quite sure about giving general interview advice, because in my experience twenty different interviews conducted by twenty different managers will result in them looking for twenty different (sometimes mutually exclusive) answers. Additionally, there seems to be a fair amount of 'good old boy' bullshit that goes on, whether anyone will cop to it or not, and the majority of the interviews for a position are really being conducted because they legally have to, in spite of the fact that there is already one candidate that they are planning on hiring anyway. So, with all of that in mind, here goes:

1. Depending on how close of a relationship you feel that you have with your bosses (GM / assistant manager / other supervisors) it can be beneficial to just ask up front if the position being filled is truly an open interview, or if there is a candidate that is strongly being considered. It also doesn't hurt to ask the people who will be conducting the interview (provided you know who they are) what type of person or behaviors they are looking for. The tricky thing here is that if you are told "Well of COURSE it's a open interview we're going to hear what everyone has to say and then pick the best candidate based upon their responses" you've now got to try and read the bluff, and determine for yourself whether this person is being honest, or giving you the HR approved answer to weasel out of telling you the truth. There's really no easier way to approach this.

2. Always have a 30/60/90 day plan, in writing, and bring multiple copies just in case you end up interviewing with a panel of people (which is pretty common for supervisor positions and above) and be prepared to explain what behaviors and results you anticipate at each step of the plan. It doesn't have to be super detailed, and should definitely not be longer than one page of paper, but it does need to have specific, measurable goals. Stuff like "improve the attachment of accessories and branded payment applications" sounds good but is generally too vague, instead say something like "engage in weekly 1 on 1's with employees to coach the proper execution of branded payment offerings and establish weekly goals during these meetings that can be used to track individual and department progress weekly/monthly/quarterly". You're basically saying the same thing here, but being extra specific gives you a better leg to stand on if you get asked to give details about your plan.

3. Here's a snap-shot of feedback I was given during my half-decade in retail, with regards to interviews that I did not pass:

"Your answers were good, but got a little lengthy. Try to keep your responses short and to the point."

"Sometimes it can benefit you to elaborate further on your responses. Giving short answers can make it look like you aren't sure about your response."

"You used the word "I" very frequently and we felt that it may indicate that you miss opportunities to solicit the feedback from peers and subordinates."

"You gave a lot of examples that referred to your success as part of a group effort. In the future, don't be afraid to say "I accomplished XXX" because it shows that you are a confident leader who stands by their decisions."

"You mentioned that you frequently use trackers and monthly employee interactions to measure your department's success. That's all well and good, but it seems like you spend too much time in the back office to be an effective floor leader."

"You talked about how you are a dynamic presence on the floor, moving frequently from manager calls to employee concerns to spending time coaching and training in the heat of a sale. We were really hoping for someone who has a better system of tracking performance and developing their associates with month over month interactions."

So in conclusion, you're either going to get the job because they already consider you a strong candidate, or you're going to end up pissing in the wind. Best of luck on the interview!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Today someone called and complained for 10 minutes over the phone about how we're ripping people off. He bought a pack of labels last month for $23.99 and now he bought more today and they're $28.99! He called me a scam artist for 10 minutes and hung up.

Okay then.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I started at T-Mobile yesterday. The euphoric "new job" high still hasn't worn off but I can already say that the training is retarded.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
For those 2-3 of you in here that work at certain big box retailer, I apologize for the ethnically diverse yet somehow eye-raping computer wallpaper I am being forced to unleash upon you shortly.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
An old disabled guy with a funny accent gave me a pistachio yesterday instead of 18 cents :3: For some reason I thought it was absolutely hilarious and told him politely, "I'm sorry sir, I can't accept that as change." He laughed and gave me the 18 cents and told me to keep the pistachio.

I threw it out.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

My job is terrible, but I always look for the bright spots (cool coworkers, the occasional nice guest, etc.) Last night one of my tables told me I was "sweet as pie" and left me $15 on $21 :3:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I started at T-Mobile yesterday. The euphoric "new job" high still hasn't worn off but I can already say that the training is retarded.

That is surprising for T-Mobile, but it just can't be worse than sprint. I have an employee going through training and the current devices sprint taught him were the Moment, Hero and Pre.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

That is surprising for T-Mobile, but it just can't be worse than sprint. I have an employee going through training and the current devices sprint taught him were the Moment, Hero and Pre.

Oh, God, do they still sell the Pre? Why are they doing training on that, it came out 2 years ago! It was supposed to change the loving world.. I worked during the release, and while we had them in-store, our loving moron district manager wanted us to sell out the online ones first before we touched an in-store one. How dumb is that? If we say we can't sell what we have, or even tell them we just plain don't have it, then they're just going to go somewhere else on release day!

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Our new by-the-book-OR-ELSE assistant manager has decided that we can no longer have drinks of any kind, even water in a sealed bottle, at our register. Why? Who knows. If we want to be able to have water at our register, we have to get a doctor's note.
Because we are children, apparently.
We are literally children.
When I went into work yesterday (ended up leaving early due to a serious cold) I took one look at the note in the break room and tossed it, just so if I was given any grief later I could go, "What note? I didn't see any note."

e: I mean I could understand the sudden change in rules if there had been a recent accident of someone spilling their drink all over the register, but this has never, ever, ever happened, for as long as anyone can remember. The only "accident" that's happened lately is when one of those 5 gallon things of water suddenly split open and spilled water all over the place, but that wasn't the cashier's fault.

copy of a fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 4, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

silversiren posted:

Our new by-the-book-OR-ELSE assistant manager has decided that we can no longer have drinks of any kind, even water in a sealed bottle, at our register. Why? Who knows. If we want to be able to have water at our register, we have to get a doctor's note.
Because we are children, apparently.
We are literally children.
When I went into work yesterday (ended up leaving early due to a serious cold) I took one look at the note in the break room and tossed it, just so if I was given any grief later I could go, "What note? I didn't see any note."

e: I mean I could understand the sudden change in rules if there had been a recent accident of someone spilling their drink all over the register, but this has never, ever, ever happened, for as long as anyone can remember. The only "accident" that's happened lately is when one of those 5 gallon things of water suddenly split open and spilled water all over the place, but that wasn't the cashier's fault.

Is that even legal? I used to haul a liter bottle of water in my cart when I work in Best Buy's music department. It was easier than crossing the entire store for a sip of water.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TShields posted:

Oh, God, do they still sell the Pre? Why are they doing training on that, it came out 2 years ago! It was supposed to change the loving world.. I worked during the release, and while we had them in-store, our loving moron district manager wanted us to sell out the online ones first before we touched an in-store one. How dumb is that? If we say we can't sell what we have, or even tell them we just plain don't have it, then they're just going to go somewhere else on release day!

Pre is discontinued, which is why its sad that Sprint training has a focus on it. It was a great phone minus the awful hardware problems.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

TShields posted:

Does anyone have any insight on working for "The Container Store"? I applied last week and was about to give them a call, but then an employee came in to work and I started talking to her about her job. She seemed super enthusiastic and willing to hang around and talk for a few minutes, but she said she never called them about the application- they called her- and she said that calling the hiring manager might not be such a good idea since he's been really busy lately.. but that was last week, a day or two after I applied. Their website says they attempt to get back with every applicant- yes or no- within a week, but it's been a little over a week now.. Should I call, or just wait?

Edit: Yay, 2 write-ups today! It's a wonder that I'm still employed.

I work there - they DO contact every applicant, but it sort of depends on how many applications there are.

Let me know if you have any questions!! It's a pretty awesome job. They're opening a store in Charlotte this fall, but I dunno if that's feasable for you.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

thanks alot assbag posted:

I work there - they DO contact every applicant, but it sort of depends on how many applications there are.

Let me know if you have any questions!! It's a pretty awesome job. They're opening a store in Charlotte this fall, but I dunno if that's feasable for you.

Naa, that's about 3 hours away. I called today and the dude said that they haven't gone through apps yet this week, but I failed to mention that I applied at the end of last week and still hadn't heard anything, so we'll see. The last group interview I was a part of I aced, but I wasn't able to start as quickly as they needed me to, but I liked the experience, and I'm not afraid to go in and sell the hell out of myself.

What's starting pay like for full time floor staff?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Well, I got the job, thank god. :) Unless I need to get a part-time on the side, I'm effectively finally done with retail at this point. Hope some of you guys have the same luck soon.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Well, I got the job, thank god. :) Unless I need to get a part-time on the side, I'm effectively finally done with retail at this point. Hope some of you guys have the same luck soon.

Congrats on escaping. I just recently got out myself. And don't kid yourself, if you have a fulltime job in not-retail, going back to retail part-time will probably make you cringe too much to go through with it.. though the liberation of not caring about the job is probably fairly nice.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

TShields posted:

Naa, that's about 3 hours away. I called today and the dude said that they haven't gone through apps yet this week, but I failed to mention that I applied at the end of last week and still hadn't heard anything, so we'll see. The last group interview I was a part of I aced, but I wasn't able to start as quickly as they needed me to, but I liked the experience, and I'm not afraid to go in and sell the hell out of myself.

Considering that you're used to $7/hr or whatever, full time floor staff pay would probably blow your mind. I'm gonna send you a PM.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TShields posted:

All seriousness dude, if your job sucks as much as you say it does, you should have your start time be "tomorrow." Start whatever job when you get it, take one sick day from your old job (to make sure you like it) and then quit the following day. I am all for ethics, but I witness way too many companies abuse employees and RARELY give 2 weeks notice, so in your situation they can go gently caress themselves. They are not looking out for beat interests, so you should not be looking out for theirs.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Kaninrail posted:

CAnd don't kid yourself, if you have a fulltime job in not-retail, going back to retail part-time will probably make you cringe too much to go through with it..

Sadly, I'd be starting part-time, so I may need to. Hopefully jobs in Austin aren't quite as painful as they are around D/FW.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

miscellaneous14 posted:

Sadly, I'd be starting part-time, so I may need to. Hopefully jobs in Austin aren't quite as painful as they are around D/FW.

D/FW hurt so bad, I had to move to Denver. :colbert:

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
Crap I just moved to DFW, please don't say that :ohdear:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Apocalypse Please posted:

Crap I just moved to DFW, please don't say that :ohdear:

I lived there for 4 years. Was happily employed for only 1.5 of them. I wish you luck.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!

Dodgeball posted:

I lived there for 4 years. Was happily employed for only 1.5 of them. I wish you luck.

Well I've been selling laptops here since last summer but let's just say that's not where I envisioned my post-grad career.

floydie
May 4, 2011
It's great to know that retail in most areas of the world is full of the same joys and woes. I've laughed at so many stories here because I have been put it the exact same crappy position and it really does suck.

I work at a hardware chain in Australia as a casual so maybe 10-15 hours a week. Pay is alright for me being a uni student but as mentioned many times in this thread, a few shithead customers ruin the whole experience. Some come in expecting every employee to be able to off the top of their head tell them exactly how they are going to build a timber deck or install a toilet and become very angry that I don't know what nails will last for the next hundred years. If anything retail has made me hate all customers. :smith:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Trast posted:

Is that even legal? I used to haul a liter bottle of water in my cart when I work in Best Buy's music department. It was easier than crossing the entire store for a sip of water.

I have no idea. But I was given any grief about it, I had my argument all ready: "Are YOU going to compensate me the $25 copay plus the $10 worth of gas it will take me to get to the doctor's office?"
Actually instead of letting it get to that point, I just wrote up a fake doctor's note for myself. If they're going to treat us like children, might as well act like one and forge a note.

I had an opening shift today, 7 in the loving morning. We hadn't even been open for 30 minutes when some lady comes through my line, since I was the only cashier there, and slams her poo poo on the belt.
"Hi ma'am, how are you thi--"
"EXCUSE ME, I COULD NOT FIND THE PLASTIC GALLON JUG OF THIS MILK AND IT IS THE ONLY KIND MY KIDS CAN DRINK SO I SUGGEST THAT YOU GIVE ME THESE TWO HALF GALLONS FOR FREE RIGHT NOW."
"*stammering* Uhm.. uh, I mean where did you look? I can go ask someone if you like me to--"
"YEAH YOU BETTER GO ASK SOMEONE BECAUSE I WANT THIS MILK FOR FREE."
Apparently she's caused trouble before, bitching and literally yelling and screaming to get her way, so the manager took one look at her and just went, "Give it to her."
I mean jesus loving christ lady, it's just loving MILK. What the hell happened in your day already that's made you such a bitch?
And I kid you not, 3 customers later, a man came through with the exact kind of milk, in the plastic gallon jug she was looking for.
Sometimes I wish and hope and pray that I can find a better job just so I can put in my 2 weeks here and get to say whatever the hell I want to customers who act that way.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I actually got a call from a hospital today, and have an interview set for Monday. O_O I've applied for several jobs over the past month, just in vague worry due to rumors milling around the company about people being let go for whatever reason, and also due to an accident in my work vehicle, and half forgot about this one. I'd be working at a switchboard graveyard shift at one of two hospitals. ....any advice for me? The HR lady sounded very nice and detailed everything save for the pay and shifts.

Has anyone here worked at a switchboard and how did you like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I actually got a call from a hospital today, and have an interview set for Monday. O_O I've applied for several jobs over the past month, just in vague worry due to rumors milling around the company about people being let go for whatever reason, and also due to an accident in my work vehicle, and half forgot about this one. I'd be working at a switchboard graveyard shift at one of two hospitals. ....any advice for me? The HR lady sounded very nice and detailed everything save for the pay and shifts.

Has anyone here worked at a switchboard and how did you like it?

People are pretty abusive to operators.. but then, they're pretty abusive to retail people too, and the job is a lot easier and usually has less rear end in a top hat managers, because it's pretty hard to tell someone to answer the phones faster.