Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anything on Transformers: War for Cybertron?

Always play as Optimus Prime when possible. Also Cloak is stupid useful, as previously stated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem

poptart_fairy posted:

Crysis. I'm finally getting around to playing this, and I'm curious if there's anything I should do to maximise hilarity/minimise frustration before diving into it. :)

Grab every Korean.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anything on Transformers: War for Cybertron?

You have two weapons built into your vehicle mode and you can pick up two weapons for robot mode. Ammo caches will refill all four of your weapons so feel free to use them. The jet Transformers have unlimited ammo in vehicle mode.

Optimus Prime has the Warcry ability which increases the offense and defense of himself and those around him. You can abuse the hell out of this in single player and it will save your butt quite a few times. Leader class bots in multiplayer have this ability.

All the abilities have uses in some way so change classes every once in a while rather than sticking with one.

EDIT: Also melee is stupidly powerful and can hit multiple enemies at once.

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
Just installed The Witcher and it looks very complex. Does anyone have any good tips for this game?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Witcher 1 stuff (you're not very specific, explaining the precise nature of your problem would help):

Basics you should learned in the tutorial:
Use the fast sword style for fast and nimble opponents, strong style for the big guys, group style for insta-kills on groups. Latter on, Geralt is good enough that you can use the wrong sword style (you can hit fast guys with the strong style to kill them quickly, and the fast style does enough damage that you can deal with big guys), but when you start, you want to match sword styles very carefully. Oh, when your sword is out and Geralt is in Group style, he runs a bit faster than normal.

Click an enemy, then click him again when the sword icon has flames on it for a combo (you don't get the icon's help in Hard Mode, but I hope you're not playing on Hard for your first run)

Jumping and tumbling is really only good for strategic repositioning (running the gently caress away, waiting for regeneration to heal you, or putting some distance between your enemies and Geralt to gulp a potion or something) - not that useful in a regular fight when you could be hitting people instead.

There's a number of fights (particularly in the Swamp) where you want to just ignore the enemy and keep on running OR lure them out to fight one on one (Wyverns) because pausing to fight everything at once is a baaaaaaaaaad idea. (the Wyvern Island in the Swamp has the best steel sword in acts 2-3 on it, and you can go there and get it as soon as the act starts, if you're capable of dealing with the Wyverns)

Igni (the fire sign) and Aard (push and stun) are the only two signs that are really good, particularly when leveled up. Aard gives you a chance to stun and insta-kill tough monsters right off the bat, Igni does obscene damage (particularly when combined with particular sword talents) when you level it high enough. All other signs are situational/useless.

By the end of the game you'll be able to get all (or near enough that it doesn't matter) Bronze talents, and experimenting with those should tell you which Silver/Gold talents work with your style. In my opinion, simple "+ to damage/speed/etc" talents that are always in effect are better than situational perks. For instance, I had some talents that radically improved Geralt's damage in conjunction with Igni, but I rarely remembered to Ingi dangerous enemies, so I didn't really get much out of that investment. Also, you'll be fighting humans approximately 70% of the game (and you'll only get a silver sword at the start of Chapter 2), but the tougher boss fight are usually monsters. Distribute your steel / silver talents accordingly.

Potions... you can make them out of pretty much any junk that's lying around, so make a lot and don't hesitate to use them whenever. Makes the game easier and more fun. Check out what additional substances do. If you care to invest the effort, you can have a potion with some long lasting effect (say, Cat Eye) which also has the bonus of increasing your damage / regeneration. Or, you could have a bunch of low toxicity potions, to down before a big fight.

Keep unique monster parts around, there's a good chance you'll be able to create a potion that grants you a unique perk out of them. Also keep strong spirits around as good potion bases. Everything else (edit - except for quest items and meteorite chunks) is vendor trash (yes, specifically all misc weapons).

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 25, 2014

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Bigass Moth posted:

That must be what happened to me. I cross-checked two different quest guides and I absolutely did them all. Oh well, like I said it doesn't matter.

There's one quest that only gets marked once you've completed it, if you talk to a Facade citizen at the desert dock then find them a few more times in the desert.

If you've done that then it's probably a bug

Also, thanks for the star ocean advice, i'm not gonna get too spergy about it since i've missed quite a lot already, but I'm enjoying the gameplay so far. That pedophile cat can gently caress right off though

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 24, 2011

Lord Nelson
Jan 11, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

There is no Heroes of Might and Magic VII... Do you mean Might and Magic 7(an RPG) or one of the Heroes of Might And Magic games (turn based strategy games)?

You are right- it is simply Might and Magic VII- sorry for the confusion-

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Lord Nelson posted:

You are right- it is simply Might and Magic VII- sorry for the confusion-

A short way into the game, you have to visit some dwarves about getting a castle repaired. Getting the castle fixed starts a chain of timed events. So if you don't want to be rushed, go and do whatever side quests you want before that.

Arcomage is awesome.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sworder posted:

Arcomage is awesome.
Arcomage really is awesome. And the spooky fog-barrow-lands really are spooky.

Might & Magic VII might look like a heaping pile of crap to your 2011-Eyes, so you should probably know that it is likely the best Might & Magic after Might & Magic V (I realize you may have never played any of the other ones before--and how in the world did you end up suddenly playing Might & Magic VII in 2011 out of the blue in the first place?). The nigh-infinitely-large-caverns-full-of-time-consuming-to-kill-enemies-who-drop-no-treasure-and-are-not-worth-much-experience that plagued Might & Magic VI are basically gone, too! Other than Wizardy VIII, you are probably experiencing the last great pure oldschool plow-through-kill-everything-get-treasure CRPG. So, that is something to know before you play.

Really, Might & Magic VIII is almost as good (plus it has this totally sweet skull-with-one-eye-and-halo icon in the corner if you cast Wizard Eye and Day of the Gods; it makes a great avatar or tattoo), and IX is far more tolerable than it was generally seen at the time, but you are probably better off playing III/IV/V if you want to experience great games that still look good enough to be fun. This is all far more advice than you are likely to need, but if you do get totally into the series, you will clearly be happy to have it.

Wait, am I supposed to post something directly helpful? Right!

You will probably think some hirelings are far less useful than others--and you are right. One that repairs your magic items forever is indeed worth a billion times more than someone who gives you +1 reputation. I seem to recall going with the Chimney Sweep (big increases to luck give you much better magic items from enemies) and trying to early-on cheese the game by getting the Water Master from somewhere, since being able to cast water walk before the game expects you to have it can help you exploit the order of towns. I think.

I do not remember if it was VI or VII where you could exploit turn-based combat. If it was VII, then after one of your characters goes, you can go into the inventory of whoever's turn it is next, select the inventory of the character who just took a turn, hit "escape," and find yourself with the previous character selected again for another combat action. It was probably VI, since that game had like a billion different ways to exploit it, but there you go.

Lord Nelson
Jan 11, 2006
All of the above sounds great- my brother bought it off GOG and I decided to give it a shot after his recommendation-

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Just got ahold of Valkyrie Profile, played through the first dungeon and Freya just left.

Looking at the system with a fixed time limit makes me think it's pretty easy to gently caress myself over from the start and make later things/the end impossible, or am I wrong here? Anyway, anything permanently missable or general tips?

One question that has popped up: Will using the "finisher/purifier" (or whatever it's called that pops up when you reach 100 on an enemy) on an enemy with 0 hp net any special rewards, or is it just there to do b onus damage if the enemy didn't die already?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Foxhound posted:

Just got ahold of Valkyrie Profile, played through the first dungeon and Freya just left.

Looking at the system with a fixed time limit makes me think it's pretty easy to gently caress myself over from the start and make later things/the end impossible, or am I wrong here? Anyway, anything permanently missable or general tips?

One question that has popped up: Will using the "finisher/purifier" (or whatever it's called that pops up when you reach 100 on an enemy) on an enemy with 0 hp net any special rewards, or is it just there to do b onus damage if the enemy didn't die already?

Playing on hard is actually "easy mode" because it opens up more dungeons, gives you better drops, and you have more "time." There's no point playing on any other difficulty.

With that said, 90% of the actual story can be missed. If you want the true ending and to know anything about the plot at all then take a trip to your friendly Gamefaqs and grab a guide before finishing the final chapter. It involves a series of rigid tasks from tackling missions in a specific order to sending back specific items/people at specific times. The game has an invisible counter and you must meet a specific goal by the time you reach a specific chapter or you're completely locked out. It's specifically... specific.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Mount and Blade Warband

Figured I would get this off my backlog due to the next one in the series being released soon. I already found the tips in the thread, just wondering if there are any must have mods. In particular, I'm thinking anything that fixes minor annoyances with the game. Failing that, can anyone tell me which mod site I should use? I couldn't find an active thread for this game, unfortunately.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

al-azad posted:

Playing on hard is actually "easy mode" because it opens up more dungeons, gives you better drops, and you have more "time." There's no point playing on any other difficulty.

With that said, 90% of the actual story can be missed. If you want the true ending and to know anything about the plot at all then take a trip to your friendly Gamefaqs and grab a guide before finishing the final chapter. It involves a series of rigid tasks from tackling missions in a specific order to sending back specific items/people at specific times. The game has an invisible counter and you must meet a specific goal by the time you reach a specific chapter or you're completely locked out. It's specifically... specific.

Yeah, I was playing the PSP version and thought I remembered what I needed and I still failed to get the good ending. If you don't start with a FAQ you won't get it.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Vizrt posted:

Mount and Blade Warband

Figured I would get this off my backlog due to the next one in the series being released soon. I already found the tips in the thread, just wondering if there are any must have mods. In particular, I'm thinking anything that fixes minor annoyances with the game. Failing that, can anyone tell me which mod site I should use? I couldn't find an active thread for this game, unfortunately.

I've not messed with mods much, but here's the thread for the game.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3232100

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm just getting round to playing Bioshock 2. I've played through 1, so I kind of know what I'm doing, and I've just gotten to the stage where I can buy my own Plasmids. Any advice on which plasmids are good/which ones I should upgrade first?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gerblyn posted:

I'm just getting round to playing Bioshock 2. I've played through 1, so I kind of know what I'm doing, and I've just gotten to the stage where I can buy my own Plasmids. Any advice on which plasmids are good/which ones I should upgrade first?

They did a pretty good job this time out of making most of the plasmids useful. Personally I like the upgraded insect swarm, but most of the offensive ones work fine. I never bothered with "Scout", but aside from that go with whatever you think sounds fun.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Gerblyn posted:

Telekinesis and Cold are the most effective plasmids, if you ask me. Obviously shock and fire have their uses, but the other two are just so handy.

Shock is probably the handiest to upgrade first, since you can use it on groups of enemies if they're all standing in water. Plus, it stuns an enemy for a few seconds which is a real bonus early in the game. Fire is useful because of the continuous damage, but only against fleshy opponents. Cold doesn't really become useful until you upgrade it to Winter's Blast 2 or 3, as then you can freeze enemies, shatter them, and still pick up their loot. Doing it at level 1 means you lose out on the loot. Cold is also dead useful when fighting big daddies and big sisters.

I personally think that Security Command is useless, as is Decoy and Hypnotize. Scout is ok, but I never really found it to be overly helpful. It's a little pointless as an actual scout function simply because (1) the levels in this game are straightforward enough that if you move slowly it's hard to be caught by surprise by enemies and (2) mobs often don't appear until the player's actual BODY (and not the PROJECTION) enters the area. So your projection might see an empty room, but when you show up there it could be full of splicers. Sure, you can hack things at level 2 while projecting, but I never found myself needing to do this. The best way to use Scout, that I found, is to get the Natural Camouflage tonic, find a hidey-hole somewhere, and then go and get enemies to kill each other using Hypnotize/Security Command.

As far as TK goes, just remember: Pulling items toward you costs no EVE. You can drop an item you've pulled toward you by hitting square (or whatever it is on the XBox). Dropping items doesn't cost anything either, neither does searching a container you've pulled toward you. The only part of TK that costs EVE is when you throw the item. So with TK3 you can pull a live enemy toward you, and while you hold them there you can bash them to death with your melee attack, then drop the body and you won't have lost any EVE. This is why TK is so useful. Along with the fact that there are a poo poo-ton of enemies in this game who throw or launch projectiles at you.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

Cyclone Trap, when first bought, doesn't seem terribly useful, but it is handy for those Little Sister defence segments, since you can place a bunch around entry points. Cyclone Trap 2 allows you to charge your traps with other plasmids for added damage and effects. Fire cyclones. Lightning cyclones. Bee cyclones. You do the maths.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just started playing Secret Of Mana. The first boss (You fall down the hole and it's a Praying Mantis) kept on killing me. Luckily there's a guy there that revives you, but was I meant to be avoiding the boss' homing attacks somehow? I couldn't avoid being hit.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Centipeed posted:

I just started playing Secret Of Mana. The first boss (You fall down the hole and it's a Praying Mantis) kept on killing me. Luckily there's a guy there that revives you, but was I meant to be avoiding the boss' homing attacks somehow? I couldn't avoid being hit.

No, I don't think you can avoid those blades. And you definitely can't avoid magic spells, they freeze you in place (I think the mantis casts Gem Missile).

You shouldn't really be taking all that much damage though. Quick question: Are you just spamming your sword or are you waiting for the little meter at the bottom to charge back up to 100%? You'll do far, far more damage per hit if you wait until after the "ding" at 100% for each swing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Centipeed posted:

Secret of Mana is still an RPG meaning there's hidden math behind all attacks, not animations and "hit boxes." It's a little frustrating at first and the game certainly has odd difficulty spikes. Once your characters learn magic the first thing you should learn yourself is using the quick-keys to select them (assuming you're controlling the boy) and abusing the animation times. It's easy to lock an enemy by constantly spamming magic but enemies can also interrupt your attacks and become invincible during casting as well so watch out.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

No, I don't think you can avoid those blades. And you definitely can't avoid magic spells, they freeze you in place (I think the mantis casts Gem Missile).

You shouldn't really be taking all that much damage though. Quick question: Are you just spamming your sword or are you waiting for the little meter at the bottom to charge back up to 100%? You'll do far, far more damage per hit if you wait until after the "ding" at 100% for each swing.

The only attacks the Mantis pulled out where the spinning blades and Gem Missile, and one after the other was enough to remove all of my health entirely.

And yeah, I'm waiting for the sword to recharge.

Edit: Just watched a Let's Play of the boss on Youtube and it seems the way to avoid being killed is to kill the boss quicker than he can kill you.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 30, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Just picked up Singularity. I absolutely hated Bioshock, yet the plot and dialog so far is hilariously bad, the death animations remind me of Turok, and the promise of super-science abilities and time traveling sequences have got me excited.

Just a few things:

Is it necessary to collect all that E99 technology bullshit scattered around virtually every single loving room? Am I going to miss out for not collecting all of it? Most of it? Any of it?

Is there ever a single reason to read any of the ungodly number of notes/recordings/videos throughout the game? I hate the way that sort of garbage breaks the pace so I'd be glad to ignore it.

Most importantly, I'd like to fix the FOV, anti-aliasing, ect. Basically I'd like it to look and play like a PC game, if anybody knows of a down-and-dirty list of .ini changes to do so. I'm not interested in a comprehensive tweak guide, just the (what should be considered) necessary stuff.

Anything else I should know?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Blood. The original DOS game, GOG.com version.

I've already grabbed the One Unit Whole Mods launcher and played the first level. What should I know before going further?

I've already learned "fire extinguishers will loving kill you".

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

treat posted:

Just picked up Singularity. I absolutely hated Bioshock, yet the plot and dialog so far is hilariously bad, the death animations remind me of Turok, and the promise of super-science abilities and time traveling sequences have got me excited.

Just a few things:

Is it necessary to collect all that E99 technology bullshit scattered around virtually every single loving room? Am I going to miss out for not collecting all of it? Most of it? Any of it?

Is there ever a single reason to read any of the ungodly number of notes/recordings/videos throughout the game? I hate the way that sort of garbage breaks the pace so I'd be glad to ignore it.

Most importantly, I'd like to fix the FOV, anti-aliasing, ect. Basically I'd like it to look and play like a PC game, if anybody knows of a down-and-dirty list of .ini changes to do so. I'm not interested in a comprehensive tweak guide, just the (what should be considered) necessary stuff.

Anything else I should know?

E99 stuff is for purchasing non-weapon upgrades, it's definitely worth grabbing for a few of the upgrades but there's no punishment for not collecting them other than not having as much to spend on upgrades.

All the notes/recordings/videos are basically just flavour text and to give you an idea of what happened there before. I don't know about PC settings since I played it on console.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007
The Mantis Ant is just sort of poo poo like that. If you know he's coming you can grind up to level 2 or 3 and buy some low-level armor before talking to the elder. If you don't, just abuse those revives and get through it.

al-azad posted:

Once your characters learn magic the first thing you should learn yourself is using the quick-keys to select them (assuming you're controlling the boy) and abusing the animation times. It's easy to lock an enemy by constantly spamming magic but enemies can also interrupt your attacks and become invincible during casting as well so watch out.

I'm just going to clarify exactly how you do this, since it's incredibly useful. When you cast a spell from the ring it goes through two stages: summoning an elemental and then the actual spell effect. You can start casting again as soon as the first stage is finished (open the ring and your spirits won't be grayed out anymore), you don't have to wait for the second stage to go off. Attack spells will hold an enemy in place while it's hitting them, with the time varying depending on the spell. The longer the spell's impact animation, the bigger the window you have to stack. Some spells are really short, like Fireball or Earth Slide, and so are more difficult to do this with. Others, like Dark Force, are so long that this is trivially easy to do. Doing this method makes it possible, so long as you have the MP, to stunlock most bosses while also piling on ridiculous amounts of damage.

The caveat to this is that all the different spells will count as one hit for the purpose of damage, and are subject to the 999 damage cap (even if you mix in multiple types of spells). Any damage you do above that won't occur. So you should cast once or twice at the start of each battle to test out how much each individual cast does to that boss, then cast as many as it will take to reach the cap using the above method. Let the damage counter pop up, then start again until you expect to cap again, etc.

This is also really, really useful for grinding spells. All of the spells you stack on count as one hit for damage purposes, but each one counts individually for spell XP even if it's overkill. You can stack a fifty casts on one hapless opponent and get XP much faster than you would if you were to just cast at a normal rate since you have to spend less time looking for targets.

You can level the princess's support magic this way too. Just park yourself in a cheap inn, burn through all of her MP casting on the same target repeatedly (target whoever you aren't controlling, since targeting yourself with force you to wait out the spell animation), then rest when she's tapped out. Her hostile magic still requires you to go out in the field.

Even using this method grinding new spells to a level where they're useful is boring as hell, so load up some podcasts or music or something to make this go easier.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Secret of Mana has quick-keys? Is there a way to cast spells without using the stupid ring that nobody's told me about?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Terranigma

For my first piece of advice I'm gonna steal someone else's words, since it's ages ago that I played the game too.
"Since once a ring is used, its magirock is returned to your inventory, there's no reason to worry about missing a few, even if you did ever need to use magic."
So basically: don't worry about collecting all the magirocks in the game AND there is no reason to never use rings.

This is from a few pages ago.

But I never knew this and this is why I never used my magic unless I simply couldn't beat something any other way.

I feel like an idiot now, I think I used everthing once to see the cool animations and that was that.

I always figured that once you bought a spell that was that and was why magirocks were so rare and special.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ToxicFrog posted:

Blood. The original DOS game, GOG.com version.

I've already grabbed the One Unit Whole Mods launcher and played the first level. What should I know before going further?

I've already learned "fire extinguishers will loving kill you".
I really do not think there IS anything you need to know. There are plenty of secrets thrown around throughout the game, but they are pretty much for fun.

The closest thing to something you should know is that the game is way more fun than its sequel, even though the sequel feels a lot more playable by today's standards via actually being in three dimensions.

Also that the voodoo doll is awesome.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Secret of Mana has quick-keys? Is there a way to cast spells without using the stupid ring that nobody's told me about?

No, you still have to select rings but when I first played the game I didn't realize you could select a character's ring you're not currently controlling. I used to press select to switch to the character I wanted to cast with but this isn't necessary.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Any advice for the new Mortal Kombat?

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Vizrt posted:

Mount and Blade Warband

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,132920.msg3202250.html#msg3202250

You absolutely need this mod unless you love losing an inordinate amount of troops during attacks on a castle/town. It adds multiple ladders/siege towers/ramps to the walls, and does a pretty decent job of setting up NPC pathing to work with them.

Nothing made less sense to me in that game than an army of 800 men bringing one ladder to a castle siege...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Anyone have suggestions for Darkspore? I just started playing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Draile posted:

Any advice for the new Mortal Kombat?

For what? If you just want help on cheesing out singleplayer note that occasionally there is a glitch where the AI buffs instead of getting dumber when you fail a fight/challenge a bunch of times and reseting the system can fix that.

If you want help getting better against other human beings stop playing singleplayer that isn't training mode. This is true for every fighting game but I just want to reiterate; you will only get worse by playing the AI.

As for what to do other than that to get better, I'd recommend going to shoryuken reading the guides, tips, and practicing. Don't hesitate to play people better than you, consider it a crash course education strategy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just got Final Fantasy IX , anything I should know about it? Also, Got Disgaea: Hour of Darkness , anything for that?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Armed Assault, I just started the campaign after owning the game for an age. I do okay on missions where I'm just a grunt, but I can't manage to get the hang of commanding troops. I'm on one of the early missions where you have to take two Humvees full of troops to clear out several enemy encampments, and can't consistently get both Humvees to follow me. Heck, It'd be helpful just to have a faster way to command troops than going through that whole menu, would love a way to order troops out of the vehicles without needed a half-dozen button presses while under fire.

General tips would be helpful too. I get the vague feeling that the way I've been playing won't work further on in the campaign, given that I could only barely beat the sabotage secondary mission after a dozen retries.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
FFIX is a pretty straight forward game. Don't get to attached to the characters since the game takes a while to let you choose your party. Zidane is your strongest guy for most, if not all the game. Stealing makes the game easier as you can get Zidane's new weapons earlier, but it's not reliable and don't go out of your way. Overall this game is really easy and straight forward.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
You can totally ignore the card game in FF9 if you want. It's just there for fun. Actually the game has a ton of lovely minigames that don't get you anything. The exception is Chocobo Hot & Cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Hey Centipeed, I just send you an e-mail concerning the excellent wiki.