Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Catico posted:

I'd love an auto-focusing macro lens, if I can get the funding for it. Does anybody make one that costs less than an entire camera body? (My one experience with a Rebel and a manual-focus macro lens was pretty disastrous. Granted, I was working quickly, without practice, and in a dark, 110F cabin in the jungle, but that made me really really appreciate auto-focus.)

Just make sure you know that autofocus is pretty hit or miss with macro shooting. More often than not you'll end up with the wrong thing in focus as you are trying to get the camera to recognize that you are focusing on a REALLY small spot of a flower/bug/whatever. It doesn't always pick the right thing to focus.

Also if it's a dark room, you can write off autofocus anyways, it needs at least semi-decent light to work. Or you can get a camera/flash with focus assist (a normal intensity light that is just there for that purpose alone, helping autofocus be able to acquire a target).

A dedicated macro lens is going to run you at least $400. Like Studebaker Hawk said there are some that are sub-400, but they aren't far off that mark.

If you only plan on shooting stationary objects, and you can get the camera close without too much problem, extension tubes on a cheap 50mm would work fine. Also, since there's no optical elements in extension tubes, so you don't have to spend a lot of money on fancy ones (the only difference might be stability if you are trying to support a large/heavy lens like a 70-200 or bigger).

To go with Nikon (since you asked in the other thread for a Nikon shooter) you could go with:

A D70 for $250

50mm lens

Extension Tubes

That's only like $450 and would be alright, but it gives you a lot of room to get a longer lens or a better camera (a D90 would put you pretty close to $1000 I think). It depends on the resolution you want, and how close you can get to things, as to where you could spend more.

subx fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Catico posted:

Forgive my total lack of knowledge, but what are cobras?

By small I mean anything from palm-sized to the size of a quarter, mostly. Occasionally some things will be smaller (~dime-sized), but I expect this to be rare. I'll be able to move stuff around as much as I need.

I'd love an auto-focusing macro lens, if I can get the funding for it. Does anybody make one that costs less than an entire camera body? (My one experience with a Rebel and a manual-focus macro lens was pretty disastrous. Granted, I was working quickly, without practice, and in a dark, 110F cabin in the jungle, but that made me really really appreciate auto-focus.)
Sorry about that, a cobra is a flash that... well, looks like a cobra:

They're cheaper than other flashes usually associated with macro, like twin and ring flashes. You don't need those with the kind of photography you're planning to do so you'll save some cash by buying cobras. While they'll take longer to setup, you'll have more creative control over your lighting.

I recommended a DSLR with liveview specifically to aid in focusing. When shooting macro, as subx already mentioned, the autofocus is at best unreliable and at worst actually working against you. It's not like your artifacts are running around either, so it's just a question of practice until you're comfortable with manual focusing.

Studebaker Hawk posted:

The tokina 100/sigma 105/tamron 90 are all sub $400 and are pretty good, though slower AF than the canon 100 which you can find used for $450-500. I would also highly recommend the sigma 150mm which I have (and am still lazily trying to sell)

Why would you use a 150mm lens for indoor macro shots? The narrow field of view is pretty much irrelevant and the longer working distance could actually be counter-productive.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Buy a reversing ring and use the 50mm reversed. Should be around $10, but still no AF.

Of course, you can't autofocus macro anyway. To shoot it at 1:1, you're going to be either moving the subject in and out or the camera/lens in and out. So, don't worry too much about AF.

What one should I be looking for?
Any sample pics from people using this method?
Can I shoot bug's eyes.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Just got a little macro filter to screw onto my 50 F1.4. Does an alright job for the price. Need to work on my focusing a little. Any other tips?

1:2 Detail:

Ant was on a moving leaf, so a tad off-focus:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Timage posted:

Just got a little macro filter to screw onto my 50 F1.4. Does an alright job for the price. Need to work on my focusing a little. Any other tips?
Maybe use a tripod + liveview?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Insects!

Edit 4b by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Edit 4c by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Edit 3b by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Edit 2 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
Is that with the Canon mp-e65? That is really impressive.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ricepaddydaddy posted:

Is that with the Canon mp-e65? That is really impressive.

The EXIF says "EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crosspost from the cell phone thread:

Taken with my iPod, I put a drop of water on the lens with my finger tip and took pictures of a quarter.

I'm not sure what the magnification value is, but the iPod seems to have a minimum focus distance of about a foot.. which would make the 'in god we trust' text about 85 pixels wide. In this image it's 960 pixels wide, so it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 11x.

Now I need to find a way to get a bug to stand still for me.

Lighting is a problem too when I'm ~1cm away from the subject.

Sinz
Feb 17, 2011

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm a student on a budget. Looking to get a macro lens perhaps used under 400 or so. Is there anyway to get a good sigma or nikon macro lens?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Taken with my iPod, I put a drop of water on the lens with my finger tip and took pictures of a quarter.
Pretty ingenious, though I can't see a real practical use for anything even remotely alive.

Sinz posted:

I'm a student on a budget. Looking to get a macro lens perhaps used under 400 or so. Is there anyway to get a good sigma or nikon macro lens?
That's nowhere near enough information for us to recommend you a lens. Tell us what camera you're using, subjects you want to shoot, indoor/outdoor, flash/natural light, magnification you want, etc.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Sinz posted:

I have a Sigma 90mm 2.8 macro that I really like that was under $400 - but like the above said we need more info for any more detailed suggestions.

Sinz
Feb 17, 2011

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

seravid posted:

Pretty ingenious, though I can't see a real practical use for anything even remotely alive.

That's nowhere near enough information for us to recommend you a lens. Tell us what camera you're using, subjects you want to shoot, indoor/outdoor, flash/natural light, magnification you want, etc.

My bad. Going to be shooting outside a lot with mostly natural lighting. I have a flash but I don't think I'm going to use it that much. The subject I'm shooting are mostly bugs and plants. Hoping to get at least a 1:1 ratio. I could just buy tubes and use my 50 mm that I have so far.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Not as good as everyone else's stuff in here, but I'm just starting to get back into the groove of taking photos after a long absence.

Saw this little thing to the side of my back door as I was taking out the garbage.

Danoss fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 2, 2011

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

IMG_1619 by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

IMG_1771 by francography, on Flickr

I like it viewed large.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

227 crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Descanso Gardens 228-230 crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

105 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

At Epcot right now they're having the flower and garden fest which has a really cool butterfly garden. Best part is that it's under a big white translucent tent for nice soft light.

Epcot Flower and Garden Fest by Ryan-Tamm, on Flickr

Cocoon at Epcot Flower and Garden Fest by Ryan-Tamm, on Flickr

Cocoon at Epcot Flower and Garden Fest by Ryan-Tamm, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Great shot with that 4th picture!

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Edit: I have no idea why this was posted twice; will replace with another when I get home.

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 13, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Macro macro macro!

I have zero macro experience. I'm shooting a wedding at the end of the month. I want to make some macro images of at the very least rings and cake details, probably more as I think of them.

I have a 50/1.8 and 70-200/2.8 (Canon if it matters). I figure my best bet is to buy a reversal ring ASAP and practice with it. Should I get one for the 50, or the 70-200? Any practical differences with either image quality or ease of use?

e: Or should I be looking at extension tubes? I'm in completely over my head here.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 11, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

Macro macro macro!

I have zero macro experience. I'm shooting a wedding at the end of the month. I want to make some macro images of at the very least rings and cake details, probably more as I think of them.

I have a 50/1.8 and 70-200/2.8 (Canon if it matters). I figure my best bet is to buy a reversal ring ASAP and practice with it. Should I get one for the 50, or the 70-200? Any practical differences with either image quality or ease of use?

Pick up this close up lens and it'll turn your 70-200 into a lens that's is very close to being just as good as a dedicate macro. The only real drawback to it is that you lose infinity focus. which isn't a big deal. I've had a dedicated macro and now I exclusively use the the close up lens on my 70-200 2.8 IS II. I don't miss the old lens at all.

Reversal rings are cheap but they're a pain in the rear end if you ask me. You have pop the lens off then put it back on if you want to change the aperture and the only way to focus the shot is to move the camera back and forth.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 12, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Haggins posted:

Reversal rings are cheap but they're a pain in the rear end if you ask me. You have pop the lens off then put it back on if you want to change the aperture and the only way to focus the shot is to move the camera back and forth.

Oh gently caress that noise, that definitely wouldn't fly at a wedding. Thanks for the heads up on the close-up lens, I'll see if I can find one actually available somewhere.

e: Grr, the 500D seems to be out of stock absolutely everywhere.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 11, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Alternatively you can go for a set of Kenko extension tubes, relatively cheap but you can get close up like a macro.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

e: Grr, the 500D seems to be out of stock absolutely everywhere.

I had the same problem when I went to buy mine. It just doesn't seem to stay in stock long. I ended up buying mine from an ebay seller in Hong Kong.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Haggins posted:

I had the same problem when I went to buy mine. It just doesn't seem to stay in stock long. I ended up buying mine from an ebay seller in Hong Kong.

Yeah that's the only place I've been able to find one too, but it wouldn't get here in time for the wedding. I can rent extension tubes for stupid cheap, so I think I'll do that for a week around the wedding, and based on that experience, decide to buy tubes if I like them or a digitalrev 500D if I don't.

Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"
Took this on a samsung NX10 with a +10 macro filter on. Hoping to get a macro len soon though.

Green Glass Buddha by Go Centipede Go, on Flickr

Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"
one more, close up a dandelion:

Plant by Go Centipede Go, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Among the Smooth by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adding another snail

El Caracol by alkanphel, on Flickr

Punkin Donuts
Oct 3, 2003

You know what time it is.
I was able to borrow a macro lens from a friend for my Rebel Xsi.

Steven the Bat by Punkin Donuts on Flickr

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Excited for this upcoming macro season. I really need to figure out my light though, unhappy with my cheap ringflash in that I cannot figure out a diffusion method.

Jumper II by damnlamb, on Flickr

Ant by damnlamb, on Flickr

Ants by damnlamb, on Flickr

Pollen by damnlamb, on Flickr

Studebaker Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 1, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

^Nice ants..

I tried getting some shots of ants yesterday, but they were just so damned fast...

Red Ant 026 crop by Abnegātus, on Flickr

I misted one with water, and that got him to stop for about two seconds, unfortunately it was also responsible for all the shininess that could be found in my picture.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Posted this in Critterquest as well:

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Abnegatus posted:

I misted one with water, and that got him to stop for about two seconds, unfortunately it was also responsible for all the shininess that could be found in my picture.

A trick I read (that I haven't had a chance to try yet) is mix up some honey/sugar water and spray or drop it where you would like them to stop. It works for many insects and a lot of them let their guard down so you can get a lot closer, even position them if they're on a leaf or something you can move.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I had another mister that was sugar diluted in water, and when I shot an area it caught an ant in the radius and the poor thing looked like it was going through an epileptic fit :(

I guess I'll try using a dropper with honey next time.

Vampyr
Feb 27, 2004

Grave Centipede posted:

Took this on a samsung NX10 with a +10 macro filter on. Hoping to get a macro len soon though.

Green Glass Buddha by Go Centipede Go, on Flickr

The shot is interesting, in the fact that you can see the glass work in the bottle, but god drat does that beer taste awful.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Stupid tiny fast bastards. My depth of field was absolutely poo poo, not much access to natural light, and I just could not manually get what I wanted in focus (AF was worthless). I of course did not bring my 580, but at that close of a distance I don't think it would of done anything.

I know I'm going to have to invest in a ring light or a twin flash setup eventually... but for now does anyone recommend any cheaper alternatives?

Red Ant 26 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Abnegatus posted:

I know I'm going to have to invest in a ring light or a twin flash setup eventually... but for now does anyone recommend any cheaper alternatives?

Many people say this is actually the superior option, as you can actually get a bit more definition from the shadows this method creates. I'm running a MR-14EX ring-lite setup at the moment and will be giving this a try in a few weeks.

You just use a standard 580/430EX with an off-shoe flash cord and mount it to a flash bracket like this. You can buy a mini soft-box diffuser to mount on the flash or you can make a coke can diffuser.

Combine these together and you get something like this. Ugly, but effective (and cheap).

All this was stolen from LordV on POTN, who takes rather nice macro shots.

Danoss fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Danoss posted:

You just use a standard 580/430EX with an off-shoe flash cord and mount it to a flash bracket like this. You can buy a mini soft-box diffuser to mount on the flash or you can make a coke can diffuser.

I use something similar and can vouch for it.