Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid_Burn
Nov 20, 2008
What's a game where that I can play on my PC? Emulators are fine. I'm looking for a sidescrolling brawler, where you can move 4 directions a la River City Ransom. Also it should have either somewhat interesting combo moves (other than punch, kick, and jumpkick) or lots of weapons to choose from. But NOT dungeon fighter online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks to a really dickish C&D order from Sega, the Streets of Rage fan remake may or may not constitute :filez:, so I won't post a direct link here, but it's right up your alley and you can find it if you google for it (the C&D had the usual effect of making it show up EVERYWHERE on the internet except for the original site, which of course was the only location prior to the legal trouble).

There is a thread for it here

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
I'm looking for a game where I have complete or near-complete control over my character's abilities/personality. Think Morrowind or Fallout:NV. I've already played those (obviously) and the rest of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series, along with Mass Effect and DAO/A/2, so I'm looking for something new. Available platforms are PC and DS.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
The game that immediately comes to mind is Alpha Protocol, not close.

If you're interested in a somewhat more "traditional" RPG, I really enjoyed Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga. If you liked Morrowind, I think you'll be into it.

Both of the above games are unpolished diamonds: they do have their flaws, which can be genuinely irritating. They also both have incredible vision, though, and if you liked Morrowind you're probably tolerant of the flaws that come with grand scope :)

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 30, 2011

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansions.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Ashenai posted:

The game that immediately comes to mind is Alpha Protocol, not close.

If you're interested in a somewhat more "traditional" RPG, I really enjoyed Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga. If you liked Morrowind, I think you'll be into it.

Both of the above games are unpolished diamonds: they do have their flaws, which can be genuinely irritating. They also both have incredible vision, though, and if you liked Morrowind you're probably tolerant of the flaws that come with grand scope :)

Played Alpha Protocol already (it was awesome and definitely the kind of game I'm looking for), but thanks for the other suggestion. I'll give NWN2 and Divinity a try.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

UberChair posted:

Played Alpha Protocol already (it was awesome and definitely the kind of game I'm looking for), but thanks for the other suggestion. I'll give NWN2 and Divinity a try.

If you haven't played it already, I'd absolutely recommend Arcanum. I still haven't played an RPG that gives you quite as much freedom with your character as that game; you can have wildly different playthroughs based on a ton of factors like your race, intelligence, various skills, your magic/tech aptitude, and a bunch of other things I'm probably forgetting.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I really liked Braid and Limbo. Are there any more quirky indie platformers with cool mechanics that I can play?

I also liked Winterbottom a bit when I played it at a friends house, but felt that the puzzles were just getting hard enough at the end of a section before they would introduce a new mechanic and make the puzzles easy again.

I also liked And Yet It Moves' concept, but it didn't ever feel as puzzle-y to me as the others.

I'd prefer to know of any more platformers on consoles, but steam works too. Not really in the mood for flash games at the moment, since I'd much rather have a longer more full experience and flash games tend to be shorter even if the mechanics are awesome.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm looking for any games that have good cooperative modes that I can play with friends. Shooter, adventure, whatever. If there are missions and things I can do with a friend and it's a good game, I'm interested.

For reference, one of my favorite gaming experiences ever was playing antiterrorist coop missions with friends in Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear online, even as clunky and laggy as that game was.

Left 4 Dead also fits the bill, anything well done like that and geared around coop as opposed to competition would be super.

Any good adventure game would be welcome also, coop or not. I loved all the old LucasArts and Infocom games.

It's preferable if the games don't require bleeding edge hardware.

Also, not really interested in getting into WoW or other MMORPGs. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, don't want to go back.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zwabu posted:

I'm looking for any games that have good cooperative modes that I can play with friends. Shooter, adventure, whatever. If there are missions and things I can do with a friend and it's a good game, I'm interested.

For reference, one of my favorite gaming experiences ever was playing antiterrorist coop missions with friends in Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear online, even as clunky and laggy as that game was.

Left 4 Dead also fits the bill, anything well done like that and geared around coop as opposed to competition would be super.

Any good adventure game would be welcome also, coop or not. I loved all the old LucasArts and Infocom games.

It's preferable if the games don't require bleeding edge hardware.

Also, not really interested in getting into WoW or other MMORPGs. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, don't want to go back.

I'm just looking to see if Frozen Synapse (http://www.frozensynapse.com/) has co-op in it. It's basically the planning sections from the old Rainbow Six games turned into a full game. It's in beta at the moment and if you buy it you get two copies - sadly I can't check the game modes available online as my copy is slightly out of date and won't connect to the server until I've updated it - I'll do so later and let you know if there's co-op.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I'm just looking to see if Frozen Synapse (http://www.frozensynapse.com/) has co-op in it. It's basically the planning sections from the old Rainbow Six games turned into a full game. It's in beta at the moment and if you buy it you get two copies - sadly I can't check the game modes available online as my copy is slightly out of date and won't connect to the server until I've updated it - I'll do so later and let you know if there's co-op.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it. I'm now getting over laziness and starting to go through the rest of the thread and getting ideas of stuff other games I want, such as Vampire: The Masquerade, Amnesia (I like scary games and adventures both) etc.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the coop mode in Portal 2, is it very good?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it. I'm now getting over laziness and starting to go through the rest of the thread and getting ideas of stuff other games I want, such as Vampire: The Masquerade, Amnesia (I like scary games and adventures both) etc.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the coop mode in Portal 2, is it very good?

It's great, but it's only about 4 hours long. Upcoming DLC has multiplayer content, apparently, and will be free.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Maybe this is obvious, but: Rainbow Six: Raven Shield

SWAT 4 is a simpler, more stream-lined Rainbow Six.

The old Heroes of Might and Magic III isn't based around coop or anything, but because it's turn-based and has some rpg elements it works great with two players against computers on multiplayer maps.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010

Superrodan posted:

I really liked Braid and Limbo. Are there any more quirky indie platformers with cool mechanics that I can play?
VVVVVV is a great little indie platformer built around a simple mechanic - instead of a jump button, you flip gravity. It's pretty challenging but not on the scale of, say, Super Meat Boy. It's not as sophisticated as Braid or Limbo either in terms of mechanics or art direction, but to compensate it has colourful 8-bit graphics and possibly the greatest chiptune soundtrack ever (seriously, look it up on youtube).

You might also like the Bit.trip series of games. Each one uses a different mechanic; beat is pong-like, runner is a platformer-esque... thing, etc. Generally, they're more rhythm games than platformers, but they're all different and they all have an awesome retro indie vibe.

Sorry that I can't recommend anything as intriguing as Braid or Limbo, but VVVVVV in particular is great for getting a cheap indie fix.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've an almost painful longing for an epic RPG/Action Adventure. Basically, I want another Black Isle/Obsidian/Bioware game. Something with memorable characters, gently caress off length, and and interesting plot or setting. I'd even go for something akin to Final Fantasy 7.

What I've played already:
Every Bioware/Black Isle/Obsidian game
Morrowind
Oblivion
Xenogears (loved this)
The Witcher
Deus Ex
System Shock 1/2

Someone recommended Divinity II - does it have good dialogue and characters?

I guess what I what is something I can get lost in for a while. Finding this harder and harder as I get older.

Honestly, it feels like I'm pining for a childhood sweetheart or something. :goonsay:

Oh, and my platforms = PC and whatever I can emulate with it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Chas McGill posted:

I've an almost painful longing for an epic RPG/Action Adventure. Basically, I want another Black Isle/Obsidian/Bioware game. Something with memorable characters, gently caress off length, and and interesting plot or setting. I'd even go for something akin to Final Fantasy 7.

Morrowind
Oblivion
Xenogears (loved this)
The Witcher
Deus Ex
System Shock 1/2

I guess what I what is something I can get lost in for a while. Finding this harder and harder as I get older.

Honestly, it feels like I'm pining for a childhood sweetheart or something. :goonsay:

If you can get over the pervasive Japanese-ness, Persona 4 is a great game. The list of games you've got there pretty much look like my desktop icons, so it appears we haver similar taste. I don't mind a JRPG every now and again too, they're my guilty pleasure. Every time I tell one of my elitist PC owning rear end in a top hat friends they're always shocked, but I don't care. I love a good JRPG.

You should be able to comfortably emulate it on PCSX2 if you have a fairly powerful CPU. Especially if it's intel, PCSX2 seems to love intel CPUs.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Haven't played a platformer in a long long time. Last one I played was perhaps Mirror's Edge.

I was thinking the Prince of Persia HD trilogy on the ps3, or one of the newer Prince of Persia's. There is also Assasin Creed, I have played the 1st and the 2nd but never bought or finished them. Uncharted is apparently adventure/platformer and there is Tomb Raider too.

Arcade titles are alright too.

Can any one recommend me a game?

Prosaic
May 20, 2010
Are there any other games that have the same predator/prey vibe of the AvP alien or predator campaigns? Doesn't have to be linear, or even first person. Just something with that sort of stealthy feeling. Maybe even something like Hitman.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

cat doter posted:

If you can get over the pervasive Japanese-ness, Persona 4 is a great game. The list of games you've got there pretty much look like my desktop icons, so it appears we haver similar taste. I don't mind a JRPG every now and again too, they're my guilty pleasure. Every time I tell one of my elitist PC owning rear end in a top hat friends they're always shocked, but I don't care. I love a good JRPG.

You should be able to comfortably emulate it on PCSX2 if you have a fairly powerful CPU. Especially if it's intel, PCSX2 seems to love intel CPUs.

Yeah, I don't mind a bit of JRPGness so long as there's interesting stuff going on in the game.

Persona 4 - does it matter that I haven't played any of the previous games? As for my CPU, it's a 3.2ghz AMD quad core. I've no idea what that might mean for PCSX2.

Prosaic posted:

Are there any other games that have the same predator/prey vibe of the AvP alien or predator campaigns? Doesn't have to be linear, or even first person. Just something with that sort of stealthy feeling. Maybe even something like Hitman.

Try Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 1, 2011

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Chas McGill posted:

Morrowind
Oblivion
Xenogears (loved this)
The Witcher
Deus Ex
System Shock 1/2

Divinity 2 has some great characters and dialogue which is really where it's strengths come from. The combat is pretty basic, but the game is a lot of fun.

Risen is another one I mention whenever I can. A lot harder, but better rewards for exploring (or punishment if you go somewhere you shouldn't). The characters aren't as great, but still pretty good.

Vampire the Masquerade: BLoodlines is a phenomenal game with great characters, story choices and some stellar levels. Also a really lovely sewer level but everything else is fantastic. Just get the fan patch.

And I'll second Persona 4. You don't need to have played any of the other games, there's no real interconnecting story. Your processor is better then mine and I can emulate it with only some problems. It's definitely playable.

Edit: You said you played all the Bioware/Black Isle/OBsidian games. Have you played the Troika ones? Bloodlines is one. Arcanum is another. Arcanum is probably one of my favorite RPGS, but some people just don't like it.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, I don't mind a bit of JRPG stuff so long as there's interesting stuff going on in the game.

Persona 4 - does it matter that I haven't played any of the previous games? As for my CPU, it's a 3.2ghz AMD quad core. I've no idea what that might mean for PCSX2.

You don't need to play any of the others. Overall P4 is just balls-out insane, so just jump in and have fun with it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Bluetooth human being posted:

Divinity 2 has some great characters and dialogue which is really where it's strengths come from. The combat is pretty basic, but the game is a lot of fun.

Risen is another one I mention whenever I can. A lot harder, but better rewards for exploring (or punishment if you go somewhere you shouldn't). The characters aren't as great, but still pretty good.

Vampire the Masquerade: BLoodlines is a phenomenal game with great characters, story choices and some stellar levels. Also a really lovely sewer level but everything else is fantastic. Just get the fan patch.

And I'll second Persona 4. You don't need to have played any of the other games, there's no real interconnecting story. Your processor is better then mine and I can emulate it with only some problems. It's definitely playable.

Hmm. On the verge of buying Divinity II. Still £30 on Steam, though. Also, what's the difference between Ego Draconis and Dragon Knight Saga?

Category Fun! posted:

You don't need to play any of the others. Overall P4 is just balls-out insane, so just jump in and have fun with it.

Balls-out insane sounds good.

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Try Splinter Cell: Conviction.

I've actually played all the Splinter Cell games and had a lot of fun with them. I was going to mention it, but I didn't want people just recommending me various stealth games.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Chas McGill posted:

Also, what's the difference between Ego Draconis and Dragon Knight Saga?
Dragon Knight Saga contains the base game plus the expansion Flames of Vengeance plus a sizable number of fixes and engine upgrades, i.e. it's in every way preferable to Ego Draconis.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bluetooth human being posted:

Okay I just got this from Steam and am looking forward to savoring it, considering how I love vampires, computer games, and adventures.

But what's this about a fan patch, where do I get it, how does it work?

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
What is the most modern not totally poo poo game in the style of Elite, other than X3? X3's astounding complexity got in the way of the trading and the fighting (for me anyway). I'm not particular about the platform.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

UberChair posted:

I'm looking for a game where I have complete or near-complete control over my character's abilities/personality. Think Morrowind or Fallout:NV. I've already played those (obviously) and the rest of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series, along with Mass Effect and DAO/A/2, so I'm looking for something new. Available platforms are PC and DS.

You might like the Mount&Blade games, which just happen to be on sale now. M&B one can be skipped, as Warband is the exact same but has more factions/tweaks/MP. The new M&B takes a more historical feel instead of a fictional one, and looks to be pretty drat great.

As for me, I'm looking for a new RTS/City Building game. Something like Tropico, I guess. I really wish I had been able to get Dawn of Discovery before it got taken off Steam, but you get the idea. Thanks!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

My mom is a slut posted:

What is the most modern not totally poo poo game in the style of Elite, other than X3? X3's astounding complexity got in the way of the trading and the fighting (for me anyway). I'm not particular about the platform.

I've heard good things about Evochron Mercenary and it's supposedly less complex than X3. You can find it on Gamersgate and Impulse I believe, no Steam version unfortunately.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Okay I just got this from Steam and am looking forward to savoring it, considering how I love vampires, computer games, and adventures.

There was (maybe still is) a lot of drama about the patches, but the bottom line is: get Wesp5's newest patch, pick the base version which is just bugfixes (iirc the installer lets you choose). For a later playthrough you might want to try the expanded version, which restores and rebalances a bunch of stuff. Also pick a clan other than Malkavian (and probably also Nosferatu) for your first time, but be sure to play Malkavian later. Playing a Malkavian in Bloodlines is sort of like playing a low-int character in Fallout or Arcanum: it's awesome, but you should be familiar with the game first.

Here's a thread about Bloodlines with more info:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394372

Chas McGill posted:

Another vote for Arcanum and Bloodlines. Also: if you liked DX/SS2, try the Thief series. Also: Anachronox, it has the gameplay of a JRPG but with no anime aesthetics; it's a parody of space opera/cyberpunk/film noir/comic books and one of your party members is a planet. Unfortunately, it ends on a cliffhanger, and the chances of a sequel happening are slim.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
How about the same sort of criteria as Chas McGill, but for someone who can't stand Arcanum and who thinks VTM:Bloodlines has far too much dialogue & sleuthing and not enough combat? I've played pretty much everything he has, and if it helps my favorite rpg is Oblivion.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

How about the same sort of criteria as Chas McGill, but for someone who can't stand Arcanum and who thinks VTM:Bloodlines has far too much dialogue & sleuthing and not enough combat? I've played pretty much everything he has, and if it helps my favorite rpg is Oblivion.

Man up and play Gothic. It has a lot of combat and by combat I mean running off a cliff pursued by a pack of wolves.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
The witcher 2 comes out in like a week, doesn't it?

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

Over two weeks actually. May 17.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Here's the main Something Awful Thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394372

It'll tell you everything you need to know and link you to everything you'll need.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Cray posted:

Another vote for Arcanum and Bloodlines. Also: if you liked DX/SS2, try the Thief series. Also: Anachronox, it has the gameplay of a JRPG but with no anime aesthetics; it's a parody of space opera/cyberpunk/film noir/comic books and one of your party members is a planet. Unfortunately, it ends on a cliffhanger, and the chances of a sequel happening are slim.

Unfortunately, I've played those games already! Sometimes I wish I hadn't been such an obsessive dweeb when I was younger - I'd still have some good stuff to play. I played Anachronox (best use of Quake II engine ever?) when it came out, so perhaps I've forgotten enough of it that a repeat playthrough is merited.

THE PWNER posted:

I've been playing the Divinity 2 demo today and I'd say it has a lot in common with Oblivion, though it is a little rough around the edges. It has the same engine as Oblivion, anyway, and quite a lot of character customisation. I may buy it if I can't find Persona 4 somewhere.

Blackula69 posted:

Definitely getting that, but like Cray said, there's a bit of a wait.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Just looked (finally) and there's no co op in Frozen Synapse. I still recommend it though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fil5000 posted:

Just looked (finally) and there's no co op in Frozen Synapse. I still recommend it though.

It's "definitely planned" though: http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1704#p5181

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Cray posted:

Over two weeks actually. May 17.

You can hand your cash over to GoG soon though, 10th or 11th May :)

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
I'm looking for an MMO or just a regular RPG with these criteria:

-highly customizable appearance. Can change color of clothes, hair, and everything else effortlessly.

-no turn-based fighting

-something I can play on PC

-must look decent/good

-if it's a regular RPG, nothing with a party, just an individual based game

Would prefer an MMO, but I am open to suggestions of non-MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fatty Patty posted:

I'm looking for an MMO or just a regular RPG with these criteria:

-highly customizable appearance. Can change color of clothes, hair, and everything else effortlessly.

-no turn-based fighting

-something I can play on PC

-must look decent/good

-if it's a regular RPG, nothing with a party, just an individual based game

Would prefer an MMO, but I am open to suggestions of non-MMOs.

Maybe you'd like City of Heroes/Villains? It's not the most popular MMO, but its combat is rather fun, and its customization is legendarily insane.