Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Nomad
Feb 18, 2004

adamarama posted:

It haven't read RotCG since release but I don't remember this at all. When is it mentioned?

Its in the Rillish Jal Keth/Wiccan part. There is a toddler there that the rest of the Wiccans are protecting and listening to. He talks with Rillish at some point if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

adamarama posted:

It haven't read RotCG since release but I don't remember this at all. When is it mentioned?

RotCG: There is a child with the Wickans that several characters interact with who leads them and such. He's described as seeming way older than he should and such, and at one point it basically says that he's Coltaine 2.0.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Makes sense since powerful Wickans have a penchant for reincarnation, see: the child warlocks.

I just haven't gotten around to reading the ICE books yet, I will now though!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Makes sense since powerful Wickans have a penchant for reincarnation, see: the child warlocks.

I just haven't gotten around to reading the ICE books yet, I will now though!

That, and we know that the crows came for him en mass at the end.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Habibi posted:

That, and we know that the crows came for him en mass at the end.

And the epilogue of DH has a Wickan child being born or conceived (been too long) as crows fly over.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

And the epilogue of DH has a Wickan child being born or conceived (been too long) as crows fly over.

Not quite either...

a pregnant woman had been told her baby had no soul so would die in childbirth or miscarry. Then the crows came and she felt him move. The idea is he filled a soulless body, rather than kicking a soul out and possessing a baby.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm nearing the end of Deadhouse Gates and I'm not sure I've read a series before this one that has as much poo poo constantly happening over the span of a long book :psyduck:

Doesn't hurt that there's a huge ongoing battle throughout the entire thing, goddamn. Are most of the books like this? Gardens of the Moon seemed to have more downtime

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yep.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Levitate posted:

I'm nearing the end of Deadhouse Gates and I'm not sure I've read a series before this one that has as much poo poo constantly happening over the span of a long book :psyduck:

*chuckles* It's NOTHING compared to what will hit you in Memories of Ice. That book is like a whole series packed in.

quote:

Doesn't hurt that there's a huge ongoing battle throughout the entire thing, goddamn. Are most of the books like this? Gardens of the Moon seemed to have more downtime

As I said, the next book goes at lightspeed. From House of Chains onward there's more downtime to ponder on the events, but in some cases that downtime is the key to figure out what happens.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
From Deadhouse Gates onward the novels slide from being well-paced throughout to cramming climax(es) into the very end. Enjoy the constant action while it lasts

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's call convergence :colbert:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ammanas posted:

From Deadhouse Gates onward the novels slide from being well-paced throughout to cramming climax(es) into the very end. Enjoy the constant action while it lasts
How dare they cram climaxes into the end of a book!

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
this jumping on people who criticise this series even slightly is getting old

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010
I briefly glanced over the first and last couple of pages and I did not see anything regarding where to buy the entire bookset, so apologies if this was asked already.

My friend lent me the first book and I am reading through it now; I am at the part where they introduced most of the characters in Dharujistan (spelling?). I am enjoying the book and was interested in acquiring the entire series now that it is finished. However, looking through Borders/Barnes/Amazon I cannot find anyone selling the entire series. I think the most I found was an 8 book set for $115:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0046486BQ/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1288975111&sr=1-35&condition=all

Unfortunately, the price of this seems rather expensive, especially for a set that does not include all of the books. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions on where to look for the best value/complete set of the Malazan series.

Thanks in advance!

E: I should also specify that by complete set, I just mean the 10 main Erikson books, not the additional novels.

Heisenator fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 26, 2011

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Heisenator posted:

I briefly glanced over the first and last couple of pages and I did not see anything regarding where to buy the entire bookset, so apologies if this was asked already.

My friend lent me the first book and I am reading through it now; I am at the part where they introduced most of the characters in Dharujistan (spelling?). I am enjoying the book and was interested in acquiring the entire series now that it is finished. However, looking through Borders/Barnes/Amazon I cannot find anyone selling the entire series. I think the most I found was an 8 book set for $115:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0046486BQ/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1288975111&sr=1-35&condition=all

Unfortunately, the price of this seems rather expensive, especially for a set that does not include all of the books. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions on where to look for the best value/complete set of the Malazan series.

Thanks in advance!

E: I should also specify that by complete set, I just mean the 10 main Erikson books, not the additional novels.

Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Deadhouse-Memories-Midnight-Crippled/dp/B004SE9LIG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

There's the full set for 150$ I'm guessing the additional $$ is for the premium on the latest book.

Also @ those prices that's only $0.0176325379099565 cents a page! 15$ a book is cheaper than seeing a movie @ 2hrs so yeah... I can guarantee you'll get more than 2hrs of enjoyment out of each book.

I don't know if you have an eBook reader but I picked up the eBooks for FAR less than paperback prices. I don't know how prices are where you live but in Canada :canada: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ebooks/search/?keywords=malazan&pageSize=12

Just started Midnight Tides and I'm about 1/4 the way through.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

How dare they cram climaxes into the end of a book!

He's referring to overloading the climax, no need to be so childish about it. That being said I didn't see that as a problem until Midnight Tides and even then it's not like the quality suffered as a result. If anything it just makes the pacing in some books less tolerable than others, Toll the Hounds for example needed a bit more conflict interspersed throughout.

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010

Lunchtray posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Deadhouse-Memories-Midnight-Crippled/dp/B004SE9LIG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

There's the full set for 150$ I'm guessing the additional $$ is for the premium on the latest book.

Also @ those prices that's only $0.0176325379099565 cents a page! 15$ a book is cheaper than seeing a movie @ 2hrs so yeah... I can guarantee you'll get more than 2hrs of enjoyment out of each book.

I don't know if you have an eBook reader but I picked up the eBooks for FAR less than paperback prices. I don't know how prices are where you live but in Canada :canada: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ebooks/search/?keywords=malazan&pageSize=12

Just started Midnight Tides and I'm about 1/4 the way through.

Alas, I do not have an eBook reader, so I am stuck with the slightly more expensive version. I think I would prefer the actual books though anyway.

And yes, I realize that there is substantially more bang for buck with books than movies, but it still seems like a big cash drop! =(

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Heisenator posted:

Alas, I do not have an eBook reader, so I am stuck with the slightly more expensive version. I think I would prefer the actual books though anyway.

And yes, I realize that there is substantially more bang for buck with books than movies, but it still seems like a big cash drop! =(

Then it comes down to a choice...

Buy the next book as you finish one OR buy them all outright. There's always borrowing them from friends or a library too.

I mean if you can't afford the 150$ outright maybe save first or if your comfortable spending a bit more over the long run buy one at a time.

You just have to weigh the worth of those options to YOU in the long run.

Also, eReaders are awesome and I love being able to carry around the entire Malazan series so when I finish a book while I'm on a bus or whatever I can dive right into the next.

Lunchtray fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 27, 2011

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lunchtray posted:

Is there a hardcover set that I can purchase with the kickass UK covers, because I'm not paying cash money for the lovely TOR/US Publisher covers.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Bookdepository has them for about $9 each, so it would be around $80 for the first 9. Examples:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Midnight-Tides-Steven-Erikson/9780765348821
http://www.bookdepository.com/Bonehunters-Steven-Erikson/9780765348838
http://www.bookdepository.com/Dust-Dreams-Steven-Erikson/9780765348869

These three are also using the new/UK covers as well.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Boogle posted:

Is there a hardcover set that I can purchase with the kickass UK covers, because I'm not paying cash money for the lovely TOR/US Publisher covers.

Do hard cover even exist for this series? I've literally never seen a single hard back malazan book :(

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Hardcover are the first to go out of print but all books were available as HC at some point. Both US and UK.

I have the UK HC of books 1, 8, 9 and 10. I really wish it was possible to complete a set with a similar format.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

I finally finished The Crippled God. It brought me to tears in a few places. And now I can finally read this thread. The spoilers were killing me.

A re-read of the entire series is now in my queue.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I sobbed like a bitch at Gesler's last stand

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

I sobbed like a bitch at Gesler's last stand
I was doing a drat fine job of keeping the tears in until Bent. That was the worst.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just finished TCG. What a great final book in a great loving series, can't believe its over. It was like the anti-Twin Peaks as far as endings go, still amazed.

I thought Dancer taking out TCG was the most poignant part, and also the one major area that I'm not sure I really understand the motivation for. The best I could come up with is that TCG had to die to keep the same crap from happening again or something

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 1, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It is because otherwise there would be no other way for him to be freed from their world.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It is because otherwise there would be no other way for him to be freed from their world.

Yeah, thinking back on, it the body they provided him was enough to give form to his binding to the world, so that Korabas could undo the chains binding him, but he was still bound with the flesh body they created for him, so Cotillion "releases" him.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I just finished Dust of Dreams and am about to start The Crippled God.

Question, though. Should I read Stonewielder first? I've read Esslemont's other two books, and I plan to get to it eventually, but I heard that what happens in it isn't nearly as important to the main story as RotCG was. Is there anything big that happens that ties into The Crippled God, or am I safe in just plowing through the end of Erikson's series first?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah, thinking back on, it the body they provided him was enough to give form to his binding to the world, so that Korabas could undo the chains binding him, but he was still bound with the flesh body they created for him, so Cotillion "releases" him.

Ah cool, that makes me feel better about the whole deal. I swear I felt like I was right there with Koryk as far as the :smith: feeling when that happened.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

qbert posted:

I just finished Dust of Dreams and am about to start The Crippled God.

Question, though. Should I read Stonewielder first? I've read Esslemont's other two books, and I plan to get to it eventually, but I heard that what happens in it isn't nearly as important to the main story as RotCG was. Is there anything big that happens that ties into The Crippled God, or am I safe in just plowing through the end of Erikson's series first?

Something does happen at the end of Stonewielder that ties into the end of TCG. It's nothing huge, but it will make you go "oh, cool!" when you read about it in TCG. Or, at least, it did for me.

CrazedLlama
May 9, 2005

Wagh?!
I finished TCG recently, read through the thread, and think I am the first to even mention Felash's Seguleh handmaiden. Pretty much every scene involving her was awesome. I don't think it was ever hinted at what ranking she was, but I'm guessing high up there considering everything she did.

The heavies handing out justice was great as well.

And of course the deaths of Stormy and Gesler made me shed some manly tears. I knew as soon as Stormy died that Gesler was going to as well and his death was still painful to read.

I was expecting Grub to go all out, or at least reveal some of his strength and was disappointed he just led some troops,

Also, I really want to learn more about the Seguleh. Anyone know if Esslemont or Erikson plan on writing more about them in future novels?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

CrazedLlama posted:

Also, I really want to learn more about the Seguleh. Anyone know if Esslemont or Erikson plan on writing more about them in future novels?

I'm guessing they'll figure into ICE's Darujhistan novel at the very least. I don't imagine they'll have any part to play in Erikson's Kharkanas trilogy but maybe they'll eventually show up in his Toblakai books. They do appear in RotCG as well, if you haven't read that already.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

CrazedLlama posted:

I was expecting Grub to go all out, or at least reveal some of his strength and was disappointed he just led some troops,[/spoiler]

it may just be me but i interpreted that whole thing as being deliberate on his and erikson's part. it seems almost as if grub and sinn were two sides of the same coin and when he saw what happened to sinn when she gave into the magic he decided to exercise a lot of restraint. i actually found it quite poetic that he held so much power within him but relegated himself to a "common general"

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

I'm guessing they'll figure into ICE's Darujhistan novel at the very least. I don't imagine they'll have any part to play in Erikson's Kharkanas trilogy but maybe they'll eventually show up in his Toblakai books. They do appear in RotCG as well, if you haven't read that already.

That reminds me, do they ever discuss the pickled seguleh at any point other than....whichever book they happened to be in?

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Last weekend I had the great pleasure of throwing my Books of the Fallen (all 3 of them) into the garbage can.

It turns out (perhaps after 3000+ pages) that these books were not for me. Struggled from the first to the third book, which I even could not finish.

Itkovian showed me the way...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hellvis454 posted:

Last weekend I had the great pleasure of throwing my Books of the Fallen (all 3 of them) into the garbage can.

It turns out (perhaps after 3000+ pages) that these books were not for me. Struggled from the first to the third book, which I even could not finish.

Who the hell throws books into garbage cans?

Johnny Nomad
Feb 18, 2004

Andrast posted:

Who the hell throws books into garbage cans?

The same people who like to burn books they find objectionable.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Throwing them away is not thrifty. I sold my old copies on Amazon (most for more than I paid for them in the first place) but only because I was moving to a different state and trying to get rid of stuff. I wish I had them back now for a reread but figure it gives me an excuse to pick up the kindle versions (if they exist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

hellvis454 posted:

man, come on, you should have given them to a library or a second-hand bookstore or something. could have felt like a good samaritan!