Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Leperflesh posted:

Right, the Babylon 5 universe humans suffer from having ships that obey a lot more of real-life physics than any of the other settings.

The poor bastards. May whatever God they believed in have mercy on their souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm also preeeety certain that a McKenna would be a pretty even match with a Star Destroyer. Naval weapons have some stupidly-long ranges, and Star Wars shields are really sad and probably couldn't deflect a Naval Gauss Rifle.

The Enterprise would destroy all of them, since it's magic.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Enterprise would destroy all of them, since it's magic it would reverse the polarity of the technobableton particles and reroute the output through the secondary bullshit emitters.

Fixed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We know that taking a star destroyer into an asteroid field is a bad idea, therefore any form of large projectile weaponry will probably gently caress one up.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

The poor bastards. May whatever God they believed in have mercy on their souls.

They really should have renamed that ship the EF Dies Horribly. And to give you an idea of how badly it's outclassed by everything else in that picture; the big blocky center bits? Spin to produce psudograv for the living quarters.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm also preeeety certain that a McKenna would be a pretty even match with a Star Destroyer. Naval weapons have some stupidly-long ranges, and Star Wars shields are really sad and probably couldn't deflect a Naval Gauss Rifle.

You're forgetting in the Yevethan trilogy where the Yevetha SDs took non-space-faring species nukes to the shields without flinching!

Star Wars tech doesn't even make internal sense unless you just make everything its own non-real-world scale.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The naval class weapons on Star Wars ships also seem to suck horribly, at least to a casual observer. I've never really paid that much attention to the Star Wars universe outside enjoying watching the old movies now and then. But in the space battle scenes, when capital ships are fighting, there seems to be a lot of ineffectual firing at each other with crappy blasters that miss half the time and impact harmlessly the other half.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Also, still waiting on orders from folks.

Can I punch the Lucerne again? Just to keep the thread moving. :v:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Zaodai posted:

The naval class weapons on Star Wars ships also seem to suck horribly, at least to a casual observer. I've never really paid that much attention to the Star Wars universe outside enjoying watching the old movies now and then. But in the space battle scenes, when capital ships are fighting, there seems to be a lot of ineffectual firing at each other with crappy blasters that miss half the time and impact harmlessly the other half.

While we're talking about ships, how about the Pillar of Autumn from the Halo-verse? Would it fare well against an equivalent weight battletech warship, or would the result be a curbstomp in favor of the battletech warship?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mukaikubo posted:

Can I punch the Lucerne again? Just to keep the thread moving. :v:

I propose that whenever he's bored, PTN writes interludes detailing Samantha Clover's adventures in bondswomanhood and the eventual granting of her freedom so that she can start instructing Clan Mechwarriors in the intricacies of melee combat, as practiced by the Steiners.

...maybe that's wishful thinking, I admit.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

landcollector posted:

While we're talking about ships, how about the Pillar of Autumn from the Halo-verse? Would it fare well against an equivalent weight battletech warship, or would the result be a curbstomp in favor of the battletech warship?

Well, it's got the Battletech equivalent of a Heavy Mass Driver as the primary weapon, so that's definitely very dangerous, but since the rest of it's armament consists of little more than Killer Whale missiles and some nuclear warheads, I'd say it's probably a one-trick pony.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ardeem posted:

They really should have renamed that ship the EF Dies Horribly. And to give you an idea of how badly it's outclassed by everything else in that picture; the big blocky center bits? Spin to produce psudograv for the living quarters.

CBT WarShips do that too, but only while they're not in motion, which is... most of the time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I propose that whenever he's bored, PTN writes interludes detailing Samantha Clover's adventures in bondswomanhood and the eventual granting of her freedom so that she can start instructing Clan Mechwarriors in the intricacies of melee combat, as practiced by the Steiners.

...maybe that's wishful thinking, I admit.

Also she and Caesar planning the genius con they're pulling on the Vipers.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

At the risk of nerding up the thread, I think an Omega would kick more rear end than you guys are assuming. Omegas are built fairly tough, have energy shields and murderously effective point defense -which they use plasma cannons for, under the assumption that even if they're intercepting energy weapons the EM field will foul things up. They're actually tougher than the bullshit hyper-advanced race.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 1, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Defiance Industries posted:

Also she and Caesar planning the genius con they're pulling on the Vipers.

Caesar's too busy knocking up all the trueborn women Steiner Rules style.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

raverrn posted:

At the risk of nerding up the thread, I think an Omega would kick more rear end than you guys are assuming. Omegas are built fairly tough, have energy shields and murderously effective point defense -which they use plasma cannons for, under the assumption that even if they're intercepting energy weapons the EM field will foul things up. They're actually tougher than the bullshit hyper-advanced race.

Aren't mass drivers considered these terribly horrible banned weapons in B5?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

The Casualty posted:

Well, it's got the Battletech equivalent of a Heavy Mass Driver as the primary weapon, so that's definitely very dangerous, but since the rest of it's armament consists of little more than Killer Whale missiles and some nuclear warheads, I'd say it's probably a one-trick pony.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the Archer Missile Pod. Halo fluff (I believe, anyway) has them as small low-yield nuclear missiles, and the PoA has 7800 of them. The closest equivalent for the killer whale would be the Santa Ana variant. As for the 40 50mm CIWS, they could probably be classified as AC/5 mounts (useful for downing ASFs, as is their intended role, but inconsequential at naval scale).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now compare each of the above to a Shivan Juggernaut, the Space Battleship Yamato, the SDF Macross of your choice, Battlestar Pegasus (it was shinier) and one Culture Rapid Offensive Unit (because a GSV would be cheating).

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The ROU. It wouldn't even be fair. :smith:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Probably in less than a tenth of a second too.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

goatface posted:

Now compare each of the above to a Shivan Juggernaut, the Space Battleship Yamato, the SDF Macross of your choice, Battlestar Pegasus (it was shinier) and one Culture Rapid Offensive Unit (because a GSV would be cheating).

Culture still wins. Culture always wins.

Not the least because they have the coolest names. Hey, you just got your rear end handed to you by a sentient ship that goes by the name No More Mr Nice Guy

Or observe the name painted upon the prow of the ship gliding through the wreckage of your once mighty ship: Just Testing. Or the I Blame My Mother, accompanied by her sister ship the I Blame Your Mother.

They've got a rather mean streak of humor for space hippies.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

goatface posted:

Battlestar Pegasus. Not only did it have four hangers worth of vipers and raptors, it also had facilities to make more, plus a whole shitton of tactical nukes, could take several nuke hits at close range from basestars, really good point defense, good offensive weapons, and a competent military crew with a clear chain of command and solid grasp of tactics. Also, worse comes to worse, it makes one hell of a ram!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
All of these ships stink. Tyra Miraborg could champ them all. :sweden:

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYoCvgAAiQ8&feature=related

For those familiar with the B5 omega. Yeah, everything else would own it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes, because while Battletech is primitive compared to things like the Enterprise; they still had enough foresight to put all of their ship-mounted weapons on turrets.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Having seen (and played with) the game statistics for an Imperial II-class ISD, I think you are mistaken, Poptarts.

ISD's shields are tough, and owing to the way their shields model damage, weapons which can't beat a certain threshold have absolutely zero effect. Not, that is, that I'm saying that a good, strong shot from a Naval Gauss Rifle might not overcome that threshold, it might... But the ISD has shields and guns, whereas the McKenna has guns but no shields whatsoever. QED, teh ISD has a decisive advantage. (And that's before swarms of TIE Bombers and TIE interceptors come into play. God help the Clanners if they're carrying TIE Defenders and Phantoms.)

Plus, of course, you need to consider that the McKenna is a zero-G, hard-physics ship, whereas even the ISD is capable of maneuvers that would tear the McKenna apart.

quote:

The Enterprise would destroy all of them, since it's magic.

Well, yeah. The Enterprise has so many tactical options available to it above and beyond the ISD that it isn't funny. Hyperdrive may be faster than Warp Drive, but Warp can be entered easily, for instance. The Big E is also carrying antimatter torpedoes, and against a target which can't maneuver to avoid them and doesn't have the shields to take the hits...

Plus, of course, the Big E can always beam boarding parties wherever they like on the McKenna... Or skip the middleman and just beam in some big loving bombs.

More likely they'd beam aboard a crew of insane asskicking misfits led by the most rear end-kicking, name-taking, hard-boiled Cardassian in Starfleet. The poor Clanners. They don't really stand a chance. Redacted would be getting their asses handed to them by personally-shielded lunatics wielding Bat'leths, and that's if they're kind and don't just say to hell with it and start firing disruptors everywhere.

landcollector posted:

The Pillar of Autumn would curbstomp its own weight in BattleTech warship, for one reason: Artificial Intelligence. Integrated AI controls give the Haloverse vessel an incredible, decisive advantage. (To put that in perspective, just consider Cortana to be commanding the Pillar of Autumn at a -2/-2.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, as spangly as some of those other ships are, the Culture operate at what has to be the highest technological level that's ever been assigned to a race/grouping of protagonists. -And- their warships are phenomenally good even for their own context. ROUs in the books have singlehandedly eliminated entire fleets in instants.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe if we replace the ROU with a General Products ship. Those are invulnerable to just about anything but have a known weakness to antimatter, so a ship with antimatter torpedoes might have a chance.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or what if just go balls out and include late stage lensman armsrace tech? I mean, they ended up with individual ships being minor things, but I don't know how many things can survive being sandwiched between superluminal planets.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 40k ships. But then again they are pretty much the sheer epitome of overkill in this case I guess its just simply a dumb idea to involve them.
On the Halo note I would imagine that Forward Unto Dawn or In Amber Clad would be able to put up a decent fight and they've got more mobility than the Pillar as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What fictional universe is the Culture from? I'm not familiar with them.

\/\/\/ Ah OK, thanks. I've never read any of his books so that explains it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 2, 2011

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
The Culture series by Iain Banks. Best space hippies ever. Have your life of absolute hedonism and eat your indomitable military power too!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Culture are from Ian M. Banks Culture series of novels. They're essentially humans, in a post-scarcity, interstellar culture. AI has gone well beyond singularity point, and individuals are capable of raising themselves to non-material lifeforms if they feel the desire to.

They're a class 2 civilisation done properly.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Also, unlike the Federation they can and will cheerfully meddle in the affairs of civilizations less powerful than they are (i.e., pretty much everybody) if they feel the need.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
When did I wander back into PTN's STO thread? Tell me more about giant smashy robots please.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

Tell me more about giant smashy robots please.

Ask a question people can answer or I'll have to do something spergy again like talking about the difference between a Holoscreen and a Holotank or something.

VVVV Utterly destroying one target and/or making the 'mech carrying it a fire magnet so other 'Mechs can actually accomplish things.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 2, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

RAC5, what is it good for?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

raverrn posted:

Murder.

More seriously, I love the things and they're great for a shock trooper type of mech. RAC5s can dish out a crazy amount of damage in a short period of time and go through ammo fast - they're best when you have them lead a charge, soak the first barrage of fire, unleash at 6x in somebody's face and then take a smoke break while everybody else finishes the job. At least, that's how I use them most.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

raverrn posted:

It's basically four Light AC/5s strapped together (statistically speaking), massing only 10 tons instead of 24. They're amazing medium range weapons that deal surprising amounts of damage, enemy armor or no, and against a less-armored design they can critseek like nobody's business.

They are a surprisingly good main gun on Medium mechs (especially since their low heat means you can easily give it some backup weaponry even on a Medium), and on Heavies and Assaults they can completely ruin someone's poo poo in pairs.

However, an RAC-5 really needs 2-3 tons of ammo per gun or it will run dry amazingly fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ask a question people can answer or I'll have to do something spergy again like talking about the difference between a Holoscreen and a Holotank or something.

Please do. We love it when you get spergy. You are the Sperglord.

raverrn posted:

Well, I like to put two Clan RAC/5s on a Turkina chassis which has been custom fitted with maximized Hardened Armor and fucktons of ammo. Put on a really good pilot, crank the bitches up and start shredding 'mechs.

You're an amazing fire magnet, but Hardened armor says "lawl no" to TACs, and you have enough armor to survive anything short of an AC/20 to the HD. Yes, even a Gauss Rifle or a Clan ERPPC.

Also, distribute the ammo crits so you're emptying bins from the outside in, and never let an ammo bin occupy a location alone.

• Locked thread