Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
Do you need box springs with a memory foam mattress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Dandy Cat posted:

I don't think so. I don't even use a box spring with my regular mattress. I have a bed frame that has wooden slats in place of a box spring. I think as long as you have it on a solid surface (no, carpet isnt solid enough) you should be fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dandy Cat posted:

No, but some people prefer the feel that gives.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
When a commercial is shot, after it's edited and finished, what file format is it in? Or is it in actually **mm film? How does it get from place to place? If it's film does it get mailed? Does a hard drive get mailed from place to place? Whatever it is, how does it get put into a TV channel?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thehandtruck posted:

When a commercial is shot, after it's edited and finished, what file format is it in? Or is it in actually **mm film? How does it get from place to place? If it's film does it get mailed? Does a hard drive get mailed from place to place? Whatever it is, how does it get put into a TV channel?

The answer is it can be anything from Betacam (professional video version of Betamax, still widely used in TV for standard def video) to 35 mm movie film to plain DVDs to h.264 codec .mp4 files. TV channels have to aminatin a lot of different equipment to receive these various formats, although lately it's preferred to be DVD video or modern video codecs like h.264.

Just as an aside: many radio stations still get their commercials delivered on floppy disks (which are enough to hold 90 seconds or so of audio) or modified cousins to the 8 tracks from the 70s on up to MP3 files or CDs.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

fishmech posted:

The answer is it can be anything from Betacam (professional video version of Betamax, still widely used in TV for standard def video) to 35 mm movie film to plain DVDs to h.264 codec .mp4 files. TV channels have to aminatin a lot of different equipment to receive these various formats, although lately it's preferred to be DVD video or modern video codecs like h.264.

Just as an aside: many radio stations still get their commercials delivered on floppy disks (which are enough to hold 90 seconds or so of audio) or modified cousins to the 8 tracks from the 70s on up to MP3 files or CDs.

Yeah, beta is still a pretty common format. I toured a TV station a while back and all of their pre-recorded segments were on Beta tapes, with a guy in the control room swapping tapes and switching the feeds.

E: National feeds came in through a TiVo, the Master Control guy had to pause the feed and then start it at the appropriate times. I've seen the TiVo timeline bar pop a couple times because the operator didn't time it right :laffo:

DELETED fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 2, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

fishmech posted:

TV channels have to aminatin a lot of different equipment to receive these various formats, although lately it's preferred to be DVD video or modern video codecs like h.264.

Not nitpicking your spelling, but what was this word supposed to say? Can't make sense of the sentence without it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

marshmallard posted:

Not nitpicking your spelling, but what was this word supposed to say? Can't make sense of the sentence without it.

Sorry, maintain, was up late last night.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
How permanent marker and regular whiteboard marker mix? I'm planning on buying a whiteboard on which I'd draw a grid with a permanent marker and then use a regular marker on it to actually draw stuff that can be easily erased. A friend of mine said that for some reason whiteboard markers may remove permanent marker. Is he right or can my plan succeed?

E: also, what's the difference between laminate whiteboard and a enamel whiteboard in terms of performance?

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It might leave faint traces behind, but I remember teachers using that trick when someone would accidentally use a Sharpie or something on a whiteboard.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

DELETED posted:

It might leave faint traces behind, but I remember teachers using that trick when someone would accidentally use a Sharpie or something on a whiteboard.

Hmm, I may need to figure out something else, then. I'm thinking about a cheap way to make a reusable grid for some sweet D&D. I thought the whiteboard thing was a good idea, but if this is true, then it just might not do.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

SnowblindFatal posted:

Hmm, I may need to figure out something else, then. I'm thinking about a cheap way to make a reusable grid for some sweet D&D. I thought the whiteboard thing was a good idea, but if this is true, then it just might not do.

Use thin strips of black tape? Depending on what type you use, you could remove it afterwards.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If you use a sharpie and let it sit, you shouldn't have a problem. The whiteboard marker trick requires some real scrubbing in that kind of situation.

Of course, you'll still have normal wear and tear after a while, but that's a different issue.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Suppose you guys have any other suggestions on how to make a good, large enough grid for D&D that could be easily reused? You have to pay through the nose if you get some official grids from hobby shops.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

SnowblindFatal posted:

Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Suppose you guys have any other suggestions on how to make a good, large enough grid for D&D that could be easily reused? You have to pay through the nose if you get some official grids from hobby shops.

Any office supply store will sell tape specifically designed for marking whiteboards. It's pretty cheap and super simple.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I did some more research, and I accidentally stumbled upon cutting mats. http://www.cchobby.fi/leikkuualusta-1-kpl_4.aspx

Assuming that a marker sticks to and is easily erasable from one of these bad boys, it should do great!

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008

SnowblindFatal posted:

Just buy some thin electrical tape and put it on the white board. It'll get gummy after awhile and start to wear off but that's probably only after heavy use!

edit: damnit beaten!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SnowblindFatal posted:

How permanent marker and regular whiteboard marker mix? I'm planning on buying a whiteboard on which I'd draw a grid with a permanent marker and then use a regular marker on it to actually draw stuff that can be easily erased. A friend of mine said that for some reason whiteboard markers may remove permanent marker. Is he right or can my plan succeed?

E: also, what's the difference between laminate whiteboard and a enamel whiteboard in terms of performance?
Just in case this hasn't been answered enough times yet.

Consider using whiteboard paint. That way you don't even need to worry about marking whiteboard or sticking things to things. You just mask off your grid with some painter's tape and then cover the surface in whiteboard paint. When you're done you should have a bunch of neat little squares of whiteboard with the backing material showing through as the grid. You can also make it whatever size and shape you want.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

A couple DMs I have known used clear plastic sheets, with the grid drawn on with sharpies. I don't know where you can buy that stuff, but they had very large ones that rolled up for easy storage/transportation.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Elijya posted:

Disbarment. Lawyers are supposed to give their clients the best defense possible, even if they know they are guilty.

Defense attorneys are still prohibited from suborning perjury, however. They can't put someone, even their client, on the stand that they know is going to lie.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Just in case this hasn't been answered enough times yet.

Consider using whiteboard paint. That way you don't even need to worry about marking whiteboard or sticking things to things. You just mask off your grid with some painter's tape and then cover the surface in whiteboard paint. When you're done you should have a bunch of neat little squares of whiteboard with the backing material showing through as the grid. You can also make it whatever size and shape you want.

I like this suggestion the best! I wasn't even aware that whiteboard paints existed. Off to find a whiteboard, some thin tape, whiteboard paint and then spend a few hours building me a sweet grid, hopefully without failing too hard. Luckily it's not that critical if the measurements aren't completely accurate.

Thanks a ton!

Heh, now I just have to find out what whiteboard paints are called in Finnish... that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 3, 2011

cregets
Nov 21, 2002

After internet searching for half an hour with no answer, I figure this is a good spot to ask this. If I sell my car as a private owner, can I still claim a tax credit on it? I went to the dealer, and they said they would purchase it back, and that I would get a tax credit on it. However, I would like to know if this credit applies if I sell it myself?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SnowblindFatal posted:

I like this suggestion the best! I wasn't even aware that whiteboard paints existed. Off to find a whiteboard, some thin tape, whiteboard paint and then spend a few hours building me a sweet grid, hopefully without failing too hard. Luckily it's not that critical if the measurements aren't completely accurate.

Thanks a ton!

Heh, now I just have to find out what whiteboard paints are called in Finnish... that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

In the US it's sold as "Rust-Oleum 241140 - Dry Erase" Be sure to follow all the instructions in regards to priming and what kinds of surfaces it works best on. If you really want to have fun, hit your surface with a coat of magnetic primer first and you'll be able to stick pieces to your new playing board with magnets.

Remember that paint is going to adhere best to a clean, dry, and rough/abraded surface. So if whatever base material you're using is smooth and shiny hit it with some sandpaper and then clean it up real good before you prime.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
When I was a kid I had some kind of cartoon book. Each illustrated page had several puzzles on it. It was about time travelling kids or something. They traveled through some sort of forest (through some secret mirror/portal thing) back to where there were dinosaurs, and then to where there were Romans, and then to some sort of futuristic moon base or something. What was this book?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Orzo posted:

When I was a kid I had some kind of cartoon book. Each illustrated page had several puzzles on it. It was about time travelling kids or something. They traveled through some sort of forest (through some secret mirror/portal thing) back to where there were dinosaurs, and then to where there were Romans, and then to some sort of futuristic moon base or something. What was this book?

I dunno, but if nobody here can help, try here.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Fire In The Disco posted:

I dunno, but if nobody here can help, try here.
Did not know about that, thanks!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I've been reading court transcripts because it gives me a strange euphoric pleasure, which I explain in one of my upcoming animations, and I'm nearly out after reading thousands and thousands of pages for some reason.

Where can I find free court transcripts? So far I've only found a few from the ACLU site. I'd prefer court transcripts about the internet but I am not a picky man about my court transcripts.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
To someone who owns a small business/any business who studied business in school: did you find that your textbook material came in handy? Did you find it worth reading and absorbing front to cover as preparation, or should it be used as more of a need-to-know reference manual, or is the text useless when compared to real world experiences? (I'm deciding whether or not I want to sell these textbooks back or keep them).

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

SnowblindFatal posted:

Thanks a ton!

"Valkotaulumaali"? :)

Google doesn't seem to respond to that one, though...

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
May be a stupid question but I guess that's what this thread is for.

I dated a girl for about 6 months and in late January, she was over at my place and started having some insane cramping. This was to the point of her not being able to stand, walk and she was in so much pain that she could barely speak. The cause was of specific "woman issues" that I won't get into here but long story short, I had to call an ambulance for her. During her extreme pain, I tried to get her to walk to my car so I could take her to the hospital but she couldn't. I kept asking her if I should call an ambulance and she kept saying no because she didn't have health insurance. Eventually she said yes, call it, and I did. They took her away, she stayed for a few days and was released without any surgery but given meds, etc.

We broke up in March and I have barely talked to her since. I just received a bill in the mail (her name but under my address) for the ambulance service which comes to $1643.00.

I completely assume that I'm not but would there be any reason that I would be responsible for this? I am going to forward it to her address (whatever that may be at this point) somehow but I need to know if there will be some sort of weird battle over it. I know it was her that needed the service but would there be any reason why I would be responsible for it considering I called and it was from my house?

Thanks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Secks posted:

We broke up in March and I have barely talked to her since. I just received a bill in the mail (her name but under my address) for the ambulance service which comes to $1643.00.

I completely assume that I'm not but would there be any reason that I would be responsible for this? I am going to forward it to her address (whatever that may be at this point) somehow but I need to know if there will be some sort of weird battle over it. I know it was her that needed the service but would there be any reason why I would be responsible for it considering I called and it was from my house?

She's on the hook for the bill, not you. Don't forward that letter anywhere. Just call up the people who sent it and tell them that person doesn't live at your address. That's it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
People say an actor is in a movie. But when speaking of TV, people tend to say an actor is on a television show. Why this difference?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Secks posted:

Not your problem, and that's actually kinda cheap for an ambulance. I got to ride in one a couple weeks back and it was $2,100

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Golbez posted:

People say an actor is in a movie. But when speaking of TV, people tend to say an actor is on a television show. Why this difference?
I don't know, but I'm guessing it has to do with the tendency for people to say 'this is on TV', referring to a physical object in the present. The television is a literal object you look at, while a movie is not. Similarly, you might describe a movie star (well, a long time ago) as being 'on the big screen'.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Orzo posted:

I don't know, but I'm guessing it has to do with the tendency for people to say 'this is on TV', referring to a physical object in the present. The television is a literal object you look at, while a movie is not. Similarly, you might describe a movie star (well, a long time ago) as being 'on the big screen'.

Yeah, I was thinking about that - we say a show is on television, but we rarely say a movie is on something, except 'the big screen'. But while I might say "Ray Romano is on The Office this week!", I would never say "Ellen Page is on Super".

Maybe - and this is just an out-of-my-rear end guess - it's because a movie is a singular presentation, whereas a television show is more of a platform, an ongoing thing.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What is the difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero, other than marketing?

I'm aware that Coke Zero is aimed more at men, who associate the 'diet' label with females. I don't, however, know what the practical differences are (there are SOME, right?) - why didn't they just put Diet Coke in a different can, for example?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I can't speak to its chemical makeup, but have you had coke 0? It tastes completely different from diet coke.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Anjow posted:

I'm aware that Coke Zero is aimed more at men, who associate the 'diet' label with females. I don't, however, know what the practical differences are (there are SOME, right?) - why didn't they just put Diet Coke in a different can, for example?

They taste different. Diet Coke tastes like Diet Coke, and Coke Zero tastes much closer to Coca Cola Classic. They have a slightly different mix of ingredients to cause this. I personally still prefer Diet Coke for my mass soda buying, but will get a Coke Zero once in a while when I'm in the mood for Classic Coke flavor.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anjow posted:

Well it tastes different. Coke Zero is apparently sweetened with both aspartame and acesulfame potassium (just wiki'd it), as opposed to just aspartame in Diet Coke. I guess that's why Zero doesn't have as much of the delicious chemical taste found in Diet Coke.

I am a diet soda junkie and I am sure my kidneys are entirely crystallized at this point. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Orzo posted:

You also say an actor is on stage but in a play.

Anjow posted:

Diet Coke was designed in the 80s to taste more similar to Pepsi than Coke itself as part of a plan based on market research. Coke Zero was designed to try to taste as much like Coke itself but without caloric sweeteners as possible, and was also designed later on, I believe the late 90s.