Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

Okay, I still seem to be unable to flash a Sense ROM. I downloaded the latest non-beta Fresh, did a full wipe and flashed that. It wouldn't get passed the white EVO 4G screen.

Thankfully my 7.0.2 backup restored okay. Not sure I want to try 7.0.2.1 again. I think I'm done tonight.

This pretty much exactly describes my experience with 7.0.2.1. Don't try to flash it over 7.0.2, god drat that sucked. I ended up trying the Fresh 4 Beta 4, which is awful and useless. Tried to flash back to Fresh 3.5 and got the same white screen, even with a full wipe. Flashed 7.0.2.1 from a pure wipe and everything is gravy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Tonight's "well, now I see why we do that" moment was when I tried to flash a theme over CM6.2Beta for Fascinate. Bootloop ahoy! Then I tried to flash an ED01 AOSP ROM, and that wasn't great. Soooo back to CM6.2 via nandroid backup, and thank God I paid attention when they said "ALWAYS DO A NANDROID BACKUP"

I'd've persisted in getting the right version to run the theme if I didn't have to wake up and drive to the airport in 4.5 hours. Welp.

After a few days running the community Tom (TW based) I went back to my nandroid backup of CM6. Even with a couple of things not working my phone just runs so much better. It's crazy.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Endless Mike posted:

There is definitely .android_secure in my backup, but it is only 3 KB. Is this normal?
Doesn't sound like it, unless you have literally no apps installed to the SD card.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Captain Charisma posted:

Is this using Motoblur or the Facebook app

Motoblue I guess? I have to add accounts via the account manager and facebook is already built in. Once I downloaded the facebook app another facebook account option showed up but I cant choose it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

Doesn't sound like it, unless you have literally no apps installed to the SD card.
Which on a new phone with massive internal storage is very likely. I think it sounds right.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Good lord the Thunderbolt default software is rear end... anyone have any leads on a good step by step newbie-friendly guide for flashing it? I would really hate to brick my new phone out of inexperience, and I do not have money growing on trees like many phone goons seem to to buy a new one.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Fuzz posted:

Good lord the Thunderbolt default software is rear end... anyone have any leads on a good step by step newbie-friendly guide for flashing it? I would really hate to brick my new phone out of inexperience, and I do not have money growing on trees like many phone goons seem to to buy a new one.

The method I used was taken down for some reason. I think the guy got trolled off of XDA so he sperged and removed his website. Anyway, this looks pretty easy: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009969

There is this option as well: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1005292

Regardless of which method you use, make sure your HTC drivers are all updated before you do it. That was the main problem I had with the whole process. Installing this should mitigate those problems http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009419

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Helter Skelter posted:

I have literally no apps installed to the SD card.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Fuzz posted:

I followed the steps here. While it was scary at first, it's pretty easy copy/pasting. There's even a youtube video that covers the entire process. I've used it to root both my TB's now without issue. The hardest thing was getting the Android SDK (adb) installed on my PC. The rest is cake.

Once you get it rooted, install Clockworkmod and install from that. Makes it really easy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JayKay posted:

I followed the steps here. While it was scary at first, it's pretty easy copy/pasting. There's even a youtube video that covers the entire process. I've used it to root both my TB's now without issue. The hardest thing was getting the Android SDK (adb) installed on my PC. The rest is cake.

Once you get it rooted, install Clockworkmod and install from that. Makes it really easy.

Did you lose any functionality, like GPS or Camera or anything? I mainly wanna root to wipe all this bloatware nonsense off it and then use ADW with Beautiful Widgets to pretty up my home screen. Wasn't planning on flashing a custom ROM, because frankly I have no problems with the standard Froyo, and I don't really know enough about Android to know all the ins and outs and what's different and all that.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Fuzz posted:

Did you lose any functionality, like GPS or Camera or anything? I mainly wanna root to wipe all this bloatware nonsense off it and then use ADW with Beautiful Widgets to pretty up my home screen. Wasn't planning on flashing a custom ROM, because frankly I have no problems with the standard Froyo, and I don't really know enough about Android to know all the ins and outs and what's different and all that.

Everything works, didn't lose any functionality.

It sounds like your goals are the same as mine. All I wanted to do was have root access for various apps (Titanium Backup, Wireless Tether, etc.) and to be able to uninstall all the crap VZW put on my phone. I'm still running the stock software, stock kernel, stock radio, stock everything.

I would only consider changing roms once CM7 gets a 90%+ working nightly out however I've found the stock software to be more than suitable for my needs.

Edit: I'm running Launcher Pro 2 and Beautiful widgets. I can't stand Sense.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 1, 2011

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Ok, I have a HTC Incredible

I rooted using unrevoked 3, and I guess the root is fine? I have super user access and all that.

I installed ROM Manager and Titanium Backup. I backed up what I needed. ROM Manager, however, won't flash CM7 and gapps. I select to flash them from my SD card and it freezes on the HTC boot logo. I take the battery out, and it starts up normally. I tried to flash from recovery, but when I go to the boot screen and select recovery, it boots to the HTC screen and freezes.

I'm fine with it being just rooted. I just wanted to try out CM7 cause I hear its awesome. What am I doing wrong?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Make sure you clear data and cache when going to CM7, and expect the first boot after the flash to take a long time. 5 to 15 minutes in some cases.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Any idea why it froze on a boot screen when going into recovery?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Man, this would be pretty cool if you spent all that time building the WiMAX driver from scratch:

shinzul via twitter posted:

Zomg google merged our wimax code into the official android git...

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Endless Mike posted:

I have literally no apps installed to the SD card.
Well, that sounds about right, then!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

900ftjesus posted:

Man, this would be pretty cool if you spent all that time building the WiMAX driver from scratch:

Wait, what? Google is taking the built-from-scratch AOSP wimax driver and merging it into the official code? Is that what that says?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Ok, I have a HTC Incredible

I rooted using unrevoked 3, and I guess the root is fine? I have super user access and all that.

I installed ROM Manager and Titanium Backup. I backed up what I needed. ROM Manager, however, won't flash CM7 and gapps. I select to flash them from my SD card and it freezes on the HTC boot logo. I take the battery out, and it starts up normally. I tried to flash from recovery, but when I go to the boot screen and select recovery, it boots to the HTC screen and freezes.

I'm fine with it being just rooted. I just wanted to try out CM7 cause I hear its awesome. What am I doing wrong?
If you ask me it sounds like you didn't get the recovery flashed properly. I'm guessing you flashed it with ROM Manager, try flashing an alternate recovery or a different version of CWR in ROM Manager. Have you gotten to recovery at all since you flashed it?

A failed recovery flash would obviously also cause you to be unable to flash a ROM.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Wait, what? Google is taking the built-from-scratch AOSP wimax driver and merging it into the official code? Is that what that says?

If you follow @shinzul, they think it's because of the Nexus 4G.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

If you ask me it sounds like you didn't get the recovery flashed properly. I'm guessing you flashed it with ROM Manager, try flashing an alternate recovery or a different version of CWR in ROM Manager. Have you gotten to recovery at all since you flashed it?

A failed recovery flash would obviously also cause you to be unable to flash a ROM.

Thanks a lot! That worked perfectly. CM7 is amazing and will now give me something to fiddle with in class.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

900ftjesus posted:

If you follow @shinzul, they think it's because of the Nexus 4G.

That's incredible...kudos to those guys!

This makes me want a Nexus S 4G even more

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Edit: Never mind figured it out.

One thing I cant figure out though is how to restore the data for all installed apps only. TB only lets me install all uninstalled apps with data or simply all apps restored. Is there some clever way around this, I know you can deselect apps you dont want, but I have a long list of apps to go through.

Again figured it out, turns out if you do a batch all then all the ones you dont have installed are grouped at the bottom anyway so its not hard to unselect them.

Solly fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 2, 2011

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Trying to root my Desire using Unrevoked3. It finds my phone but cant finish the install. I'm assuming its because I haven't installed the custom HBoot drivers but that's only because I cant get them to install. Im on Win& 64bit.

Any advice?

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
Yo G2x CM7 early adopters: Has CM7 fixed the reboot/freezing issues that the G2x has?

Mine has been doing it since day one, and it's really getting on my nerves. I'll probably be rooting eventually because I keep hearing so many good things about CM7, but this is one of my first Android devices and I'm weary to jump the stock ship so soon. However, if CM7 fixes the freeze problem I will switch ASAP.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ChronoBasher posted:

Yo G2x CM7 early adopters: Has CM7 fixed the reboot/freezing issues that the G2x has?

Mine has been doing it since day one, and it's really getting on my nerves. I'll probably be rooting eventually because I keep hearing so many good things about CM7, but this is one of my first Android devices and I'm weary to jump the stock ship so soon. However, if CM7 fixes the freeze problem I will switch ASAP.

I doubt it. My first one did that and I replaced it. New one doesn't do it at all. I suggest you do the same.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

900ftjesus posted:

I assume they're talking about WiMAX integration into platform code.

Which doesn't surprise me, Samsung's WiMAX support is bolted on, and I imagine HTC's is as well. Something about the effort required to create/follow/use a properly abstracted API being fundamentally incompatible with shipping devices out the door quickly.

That's not something Google is a fan of, since you can't maintain a single code tree for may devices that way. And since CyanogenMod is one of the few (only?) code trees that actually targets many devices, even across manufacturers, they pretty much had to abstract WiMAX support properly.

But yes, awesome for them. I wonder if Google donates to them in some capacity.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Bigsteve posted:

Trying to root my Desire using Unrevoked3. It finds my phone but cant finish the install. I'm assuming its because I haven't installed the custom HBoot drivers but that's only because I cant get them to install. Im on Win& 64bit.

Any advice?

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence but it may have been successful. Check to see if you have a superuser permission app in your drawer. I tried unrevoked like 5 times, always getting a fail--turns out it worked the first time.

Disclaimer- I'm an idiot.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
I have a Sprint EVO and I'm running the latest Fresh ROM.

In the last couple of weeks, seemingly at random, I've been getting odd text messages related to the Sprint Voicemail app. It'll basically be a text notification that the app uses to get the info from. I assume.

How the hell do I get rid of them? Now I get a call, missed call notification, that stupid text, then an actual voicemail notification.

I keep wanting to move away from Fresh, but CM7 just annoys me, and I think I'm addicted to sense. I try the other Sense ROMS for the evo, and when I try to flash them, they never work due to some weird script thing.

Believe it or not, this nonsense (HAH PUN!) has made me consider getting a new phone, even tho I still love my EVO.

HALP

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

godzirraRAWR posted:

I have a Sprint EVO and I'm running the latest Fresh ROM.

In the last couple of weeks, seemingly at random, I've been getting odd text messages related to the Sprint Voicemail app. It'll basically be a text notification that the app uses to get the info from. I assume.

How the hell do I get rid of them? Now I get a call, missed call notification, that stupid text, then an actual voicemail notification.

I keep wanting to move away from Fresh, but CM7 just annoys me, and I think I'm addicted to sense. I try the other Sense ROMS for the evo, and when I try to flash them, they never work due to some weird script thing.

Believe it or not, this nonsense (HAH PUN!) has made me consider getting a new phone, even tho I still love my EVO.

HALP
Are you running Fresh 3.5.0.1 or 4.0.0.4? If it's the latter, that's probably your problem as it's based on the leaked GB build and has some issues. If it's the former, I don't recall hearing about that issue on Froyo but if you're willing to go through the Fresh thread on XDA, there might be something about it there.

And the "weird script thing" you're getting is because ClockworkMod Recovery 3.x dropped support for Amend scripting, which a lot of people were using for their ROMs. You can still flash those ZIPs by flashing Amon-Ra instead (or using CWM 2.x if you really want to stick with ClockworkMod).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just picked up an Optimus S for my brother, when it comes to rooting/roms what are my options? I'm looking around XDA but I'm not sure what's best to really do.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm now the proud owner of Samsung Fascinate, but holy lord there are so many rooting options for this phone - how the hell am I suppose to know what I should get? :ohdear:

I'll be using this for work, so it must be stable - unless there's a way to dual-boot the OS?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I assume they're talking about WiMAX integration into platform code.

Which doesn't surprise me, Samsung's WiMAX support is bolted on, and I imagine HTC's is as well. Something about the effort required to create/follow/use a properly abstracted API being fundamentally incompatible with shipping devices out the door quickly.

That's not something Google is a fan of, since you can't maintain a single code tree for may devices that way. And since CyanogenMod is one of the few (only?) code trees that actually targets many devices, even across manufacturers, they pretty much had to abstract WiMAX support properly.

But yes, awesome for them. I wonder if Google donates to them in some capacity.

HTC's is tied to Sense and closed source, so they had to start from scratch on AOSP. HTC did a pretty decent job with theirs, and really no one would ever notice the only real issue I ever had with it, and that's a weird logcat message that repeats every 1 second after you turn 4G off.

No system impact at all, just a repeated message.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have an issue (might not even be rooting related) that is with some application's settings. They seem to rest to default when ever I reboot my phone. Particular settings are the orientation setting in Dolphin Browser mini and the sync setting in the Facebook app.

Both of these apps have been forced to the SD card, however DBM can be there by design. DBM may have been doing this before I rooted by FB wasn't. So does anyone know what is causing these?

HTC Desire running CM7.0.0.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So the Thunderbolt is supposedly getting a big radio update this week... question is, should I just root now since the update may lock out existing rooting methods, or should I wait and see what arises with this new update? I've heard that there are a few custom radio setups for a rooted Thunderbolt that are already way better.... how easy are those to setup?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fuzz posted:

So the Thunderbolt is supposedly getting a big radio update this week... question is, should I just root now since the update may lock out existing rooting methods, or should I wait and see what arises with this new update? I've heard that there are a few custom radio setups for a rooted Thunderbolt that are already way better.... how easy are those to setup?

I would root now. It's not uncommon for OTA's to lock out old rooting methods. There will be enough XDA people to extract the radio from the OTA and let the rooted people have at it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Don't put poo poo that involves sync settings on the SD card, that's almost as dumb as putting widgets on the SD card.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Anyone on CM 7.0.2.1 having problems with mms messages? I can't send but I can sometimes receive. I cannot find anything on the internet for this. Am I missing something? I'm using the kernal and radio that was either on my phone or with CM7--i haven't changed either of those.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I would root now. It's not uncommon for OTA's to lock out old rooting methods. There will be enough XDA people to extract the radio from the OTA and let the rooted people have at it.

Thanks for the advice, gonna try to do it tonight, wish me luck!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Tab8715 posted:

I'm now the proud owner of Samsung Fascinate, but holy lord there are so many rooting options for this phone - how the hell am I suppose to know what I should get? :ohdear:

I'll be using this for work, so it must be stable - unless there's a way to dual-boot the OS?

Root using the one click method, Odin clockworkmod, and go from there. There aren't really any super stable ROMs that aren't based on Samsung code. I just flashed the Community ROM last night, coming from CM6, and it's much better, plus everything works, which is awesome. I would recommend Community ROM or Superclean, as both are stable and everything works. Superclean is no longer being developed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
How much risk is involved in flashing a new radio? I have an HTC Evo running 2.15.00.9.01. Is there much advantage to flashing to 2.15.00.11.19 with the risk of bricking? I have it downloaded and the update.zip on my SD card right now, ready to flash. Is there something I should be concerned about?