Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Pope Guilty posted:

It reminds me about that line from the World of Darkness thread about how a vampire's going to have a hard time taking on other supernaturals in a fair fight, but if you're a vampire, why on earth would you ever enter a fair fight?

Sure, but why would a mage ever enter a fair fight? They're the masters of preparation.

One the one hand, we have a dude who can do a ton of damage if he manages to get up close, can sneak and hide well, and can get along with people.

On the other hand, we have a dude who can kill you with one spell and doesn't have to get close, can turn invisible, planeshift, scry and teleport, and can Dominate people.

It really isn't close unless the rogue gets PC Plot Armor and the wizard is a random NPC who doesn't do anything all day.

It just feels okay because people are used to thinking about the Rogue as the well-prepared hero who sneaks into a wizard's tower and overcomes all the tricks and traps, and don't really think of the well prepared wizard who teleports invisibly near the Rogue with a team of summoned elementals, and casts Flesh to Stone (see also: latest OotS.) Because that's not fun to think about, that's just... brutally effective.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ashenai posted:

One the one hand, we have a dude who can do a ton of damage if he manages to get up close, can sneak and hide well, and can get along with people.

On the other hand, we have a dude who can kill you with one spell and doesn't have to get close, can turn invisible, planeshift, scry and teleport, and can Dominate people.

Except the situation was this:

Unsuspecting rogue and mage (and bard) are walking along.

Disguised enemy mage sees a chance to catch them by surprise.

He has 2 targets, one a rogue that prefers archery, the other is a mage that he has a personal grudge against.

During his surprise attack, he petrifies the rogue, assuming it's the safer choice.

A mage may have a few long term defensive spells up, but a rogue will be less likely to have that. The drow may even have used some detect magic in advance to make this decision.

This isn't some 'batman prepared' situation. The drow has the advantage to plan ahead a little, but he can't walk around decked out in every defensive spell known, especially since there are anti-magic fields present in at least the prison and probably elsewhere.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

A lot of you are conflating "Can a Rogue Assassinate a Wizard" with "Can a Wizard Scry-and-Die a Rogue". Nobody is contesting the latter.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Scry and die?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Scry and die?

Magically locate, magically isolate, magically annihilate.

This derail reminds me of Roy vs the mage in the crowd while he's fighting Thog derail. It's already happened.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

This derail reminds me of the worst parts of grognards.txt

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

HKR posted:

This derail reminds me of the worst parts of grognards.txt

This derail reminds of why I consider 4th edition D&D to be vastly superior to 3.5, despite having never played it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

This derail has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R.

Edit: In any event, here's hoping V manages to trounce the drow simply by virtue of having a more balanced and less "blow it all up and let the planes sort them out" mindset.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cabbit posted:

This derail has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R.

Edit: In any event, here's hoping V manages to trounce the drow simply by virtue of having a more balanced and less "blow it all up and let the planes sort them out" mindset.

Well, as mentioned, I seem to remember the drow being a sorcerer. So let's be honest with ourselves this is nearly a foregone conclusion.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Android Blues posted:

Well, as mentioned, I seem to remember the drow being a sorcerer. So let's be honest with ourselves this is nearly a foregone conclusion.

I think he's a Wizard, as V tried to crib 3.0 Fly off him.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Yeah, the sorcerer was that half-elf prick they picked up during their recruitment drive.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If someone like me is playing a wizard it could be killed by a couple of commoners, just saying. :v:
Go V!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, the sorcerer was that half-elf prick they picked up during their recruitment drive.

Actually he's listed as a conjurer wizard in War and XPs. As far as I know the only sorcerers they've fought are Xykon and that bandit chick.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Android Blues posted:

What class is the biggest sentient threat to the world?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

What class is the biggest sentient threat to the world?

Elan's dad appears to be a fighter of some description. :smug:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Cabbit posted:

I think he's a Wizard, as V tried to crib 3.0 Fly off him.

He's a Wizard, specializing in Transmutation spells, as mentioned in the first book (side note: one of Rich's homebrew campaigns has different colors associated with different schools, and the robes of casters specializing in different schools in OotS reflect that as a reference to that campaign. V wears red, Zz'dtri wears green, Pompey wears purple).

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Derail nothing! When the thread's on the rail it's reposts of the comic followed by one or two "I liked that" posts apiece. Ubernerd arguments about the classes fighting, linked to those classes fighting in the strip, are more fun to pass the time reading.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah and it's way better than the official oots forums where it about 20+ pages of nothing but pointless fanboy praise. Exactly why I prefer reading this thread other it.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
That's because the official forums are the worst forums in the universe, maybe except Gaia forums.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The rest of that site's forums are useful as a PbP hub, but I have never ventured specifically into the OoTS-discussion board and now I never will.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I like reading about the D&D side of Oots like the party level thread cause I don't know very much about tabletop D&D. The forums are good for that kind of minutiae.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

That's because the official forums are the worst forums in the universe, maybe except Gaia forums.

I wouldn't go that far, apart from the oots part it's not that bad and at the Roleplaying Games you can get tons of good help/advice with rp. For free you also get occasional discussions exactly like our previous wizard vs rogue except people there are even bigger nerds. :)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Do those still exist? I remember reading SA articles about them on high school computers, at least 6 or 7 years ago.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Do those still exist? I remember reading SA articles about them on high school computers, at least 6 or 7 years ago.

Gaia, GameFAQs and many other forum cesspools are still running strong.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
I love the comic, but I haven't played since first edition so all of this discussion is kind of fascinating to me.

Is it true that only a 20 sided die is used to play these days?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

TremendousMajestic posted:

I love the comic, but I haven't played since first edition so all of this discussion is kind of fascinating to me.

Not for damage dealt, which still uses a wide variety of dice. Just Friday I was rolling 4d6(reroll 1s) + 1d6 + 1d8 + 31 for damage.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

No, we still use a set of dice. The comic in enjoyable without the D&D grognardia.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

There is a d20 (think D&D spinoff) system called True20 that uses only a 20 sided dice. It is pretty cool, but official D&D still uses the gamut of dice. That being said most rolls have been standardized to "person doing a thing rolls a d20 and adds a number." So all attacks (inc. spells, dragonsbreath, a trap going off) are rolled by the attacker (wizard, green dragon, spiked pit trap) against the target.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So is this one of those "wear off over time" spells or is this going to lead to 50 strips of searching for a cure for her?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am pretty sure it is permanent on its own, but can be reversed by other spells. I believe that Break Enchantment would work, which is a 5th level Wizard/Cleric spell, but I have no idea if Varsuvius or Durkon have it.

I would hope that one of them does, because there is enough going on without having to haul around a statue of Haley for any number of strips.

I guess that it could also be used by Tarquin to leverage Elan, though? I am sure Tarquin would be able to get the effect reversed one way or another, but he might make a point of exacting some sort of payment for it?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Ashcans posted:

I am pretty sure it is permanent on its own, but can be reversed by other spells. I believe that Break Enchantment would work, which is a 5th level Wizard/Cleric spell, but I have no idea if Varsuvius or Durkon have it.

I would hope that one of them does, because there is enough going on without having to haul around a statue of Haley for any number of strips.

I guess that it could also be used by Tarquin to leverage Elan, though? I am sure Tarquin would be able to get the effect reversed one way or another, but he might make a point of exacting some sort of payment for it?

They cured Roy's ladyfriend when she was turned to stone ages ago, so its an easy fix. They had to use a scroll that Nale Just Happend to have, but I think they aren't hard to find.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ashcans posted:

If Durkon doesn't have it he can pray for it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

It's starting to come full circle.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Oh and in case you forgot, this was not unforeseen.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I like how the kobold has the badass riding dog Belkar wanted way back in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0140.html.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
And it's named Sir Scraggly instead of Mister Scruffy :shobon:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
so many drat callbacks :allears:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Belkar is going to skin that thing alive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Belkar is going to skin that thing alive.

And possibly steal its dog.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't that Qarr, the imp working for the IFCC? That might be awkward for V and totally risk giving away some of their plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Well, the imp isn't gonna let V die (that would gently caress up his bosses plans) so no new tedious resurrection plot (unless Roy dies again).