Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
I recently traded my Honda Rebel for an old piece of poo poo so I could learn how to wrench and keep up with traffic.

I call it The Mexican Blackbird. It's a 1989 GS500e. I have had to replace chain and sprockets, change oil, replace most light bulbs, replace the valve cover gasket, adjust the clutch a bunch to get it right, replace and reroute the fuel lines (PO had the line to the carbs in the reserve spot on the petcock.... lucky me when I ran out of gas yesterday), tap the cam caps (little caps that sit over the valve camshafts) and use new bolts for the valve cover.

It rides pretty well, got it for 1000 bucks and put about 200 in so far. Sold the rebel for 1800. I plan on taking her for a longish ride tomorrow so I hope she doesnt strand me :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Clank posted:

I'm gonna guess TW200. My youtube front page always recommends videos of modified Japanese TW200s like that for some reason.

That is correct. Purchased from an apparent Illinois Nazi judging by the three SS stickers I found on it.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Couple terrible cell phone pics:

I'm actually seriously concerned that it wants to eat my soul. Bike has stupid amounts of power compared to the SV.

that one guy chad fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 1, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is it stock gearing? Goddamn, -1/+2 was the best thing I ever did... it turns into even more of a murderer though. :D

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

Is it stock gearing? Goddamn, -1/+2 was the best thing I ever did... it turns into even more of a murderer though. :D

This the best mod you can do to any I4 sportsbike (Twins only need the -1).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

titanium posted:

That is correct. Purchased from an apparent Illinois Nazi judging by the three SS stickers I found on it.

What's all that's been done to it do you know? It looks sexy as hell (never thought I would say that about a TW200 :v:)

What does -1/+2 do to an I4? More power down lower in the range?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

What's all that's been done to it do you know? It looks sexy as hell (never thought I would say that about a TW200 :v:)

What does -1/+2 do to an I4? More power down lower in the range?

No, more in-gear thrust, lowers the road speed at redline. It doesn't change the shape of the torque curve.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

-1,+2 is good on most fuel injected bikes.

My monster is a completely different and better bike now.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

It's not really my kind of bike, but this is a really great photo. If you'd taken it from a slightly higher or lower viewpoint so the handlebars didn't clash with the horizon, it would be perfect.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Forty Two posted:

It's not really my kind of bike, but this is a really great photo. If you'd taken it from a slightly higher or lower viewpoint so the handlebars didn't clash with the horizon, it would be perfect.

Thanks! I was using an old APS film camera and I only got one shot at it, because that incoming wave proceeded to flow past the tires and washed out the sand under my bike. :byodood: I had to drop everything and scramble to catch it. The tide was apparently coming in, and the sand we were riding on hadn't been wet yet, and I was lucky enough to catch the first wave to make it that far.

I also got to meet Arlen Ness and get his autograph at his booth.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 1, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

titanium posted:

The new toy!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Utterly awesome bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Utterly awesome bike.

Yeah, that Illinois Nazi had great taste in bikes. And I'm not being sarcastic.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Got a little dirt bike fever this weekend with the new YZF and some dirt buddies

http://imgur.com/a/8FH57#8mh1Q

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
Rising gas prices led MY MOM to buy a motorcycle. Jealousy led me to take a MSC, which led to me getting a set of keys.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40 - We bought it with 740 miles in early March. It has just over 1800 on it now. I was always scared of motorcycles because of my mom's horror stories, but now driving my Jeep just feels boring.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Sorry, didn't have a beach nearby. I ride it to work everyday. On one wheel ;)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Cross-posting.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
First picture of the Bonneville.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Arrow 2 into 1 time. It's deafening...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

xd posted:

On one wheel ;)

Youhave 2 of them, you should use both! :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

mattfl posted:

Youhave 2 of them, you should use both! :)

But never at the same time, that's dangerous.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Testing out a new phone/camera, here's my bike at work this morning. I'm so glad spring is here.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ChiTownEddie posted:

Well done. I was going to throw that one in the suggestion box too, but you seemed dead set on the RS. Smashing selection.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

ChiTownEddie posted:

Envy. I sat on an SE in these colors just the other day, and it fit *perfect.* Easy to get my feet down, perfect reach to the bars, ugh. Someday.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Marv Hushman posted:

Well done. I was going to throw that one in the suggestion box too, but you seemed dead set on the RS. Smashing selection.

Haha! Thanks. Yeah actually I was so "set" after just doing the research. But after riding both there was NO contest. Plus in person the Bonneville looks about 1237533x better.

@GND Yup! The fit matched me as well. I'm 6' but I am a tiny man (125lb) and it just felt like the right combination of small but big enough that my length didn't cause issues.

Downside is that it was beautiful this weekend and I was only able to put about 50miles on it >:[

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

My new bike. A 2010 Harley Davidson Forty Eight I picked up with 1k miles and no drops. It is my first bike, and I just finished the edge course an am in love. As of today I finally have my endorsement and spent all morning riding around back roads just exploring for the hell of it.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
OK I would ride the poo poo out of that

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ptolemaeus posted:

KTM Edition?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Ptolemaeus posted:

My new bike...

Congrats, you chose well. It seems that HD has finally come to terms with this being a solo ride--it looks like the entire line comes stock with solo seats now. None of these nifty ones fit the 06s though :-(

The mod with the single biggest return on investment is replacing the stock POS grips, without question. Beyond that, you'd do well to leave it as is and ignore the Stage 1 dime store wisdom. Also, keep a close eye on the battery cover clips, I don't think they ever totally resolved that issue.

Have fun!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Straight pipes brah, if they aren't on already. Otherwise you can't properly live the Harley-DavidsonŠ lifestyle.

Nice looking bike though, seriously. The 48's actually look pretty good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm with you guys on this one, that's how a Harley should look. Clean and classic lines, no chrome bullshit or tassels everywhere. Or that godawful gigantor windscreen.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

that's how a Harley should look.

I feel this is how a Harley should look.

It's just better for all concerned... :devil:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saga posted:

I feel this is how a Harley should look.

It's just better for all concerned... :devil:
If you can think of a better way to get to the Sturgis Dentist and Lawyer Convention, I'd love to hear it!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

If you can think of a better way to get to the Sturgis Dentist and Lawyer Convention, I'd love to hear it!

Be like my old boss, and pay someone to trailer it out there for you...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

cheesebot posted:

Testing out a new phone/camera, here's my bike at work this morning. I'm so glad spring is here.

Beautiful bike, I've always loved the old BMW's and know if one pops up in good shape around here for a reasonable price it will end up in my garage.

StonedogJones
Mar 13, 2006
most fun you can have on two wheels. picked it up recently...

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I appreciate it, I do plan on changing the grips as soon as possible. I rode about thirty miles this morning and my hands went numb. I never was a big Harley fan in general, but when I went to the local power sports a man had just traded this in and it just looked like what I wanted to take home.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Harleys look so much better when they're toned down, even better when they've picked up some 'patina'. A friend of mine has a '37 Knucklehead, it's completely unrestored and looks every bit it's age. It's so much cooler for it.

StonedogJones posted:

most fun you can have on two wheels.

Surely the fun starts when you get it onto one wheel?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ptolemaeus posted:

My new bike. A 2010 Harley Davidson Forty Eight I picked up with 1k miles and no drops. It is my first bike, and I just finished the edge course an am in love. As of today I finally have my endorsement and spent all morning riding around back roads just exploring for the hell of it.

This is like the bruiser version of my dad's Sportster, an '03 883R

Good looking bikes, and good bikes. (though yours should suffer less from "vibrate my goddamn balls off" syndrome, since post-04 the engines were rubber mounted)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Went to go pick up a package at the UPS hub today, had to stop and take this picture THREE BLOCKS FROM MY HOUSE as I'm still kind of bewildered because I just moved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
... A fence?