Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Shuppiluliumas posted:

That is cool as hell, I've never played the game, but even on it's own it looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
That's an awesome ship man, it looks just like the pic.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Goofing around this morning, I ended up with a Legend of Zelda vignette I'm pretty pleased with.

Now I really want to build a Link in scale with these...he'd be about 14" tall :)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mascot posted:

Goofing around this morning, I ended up with a Legend of Zelda vignette I'm pretty pleased with.

Now I really want to build a Link in scale with these...he'd be about 14" tall :)

:stare:

That's something, man. I can't even put the words together

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Baggy_Brad posted:

A Star Wars Lego Sale on May the Fourth? :cool:

"I don't ge..." :rolleyes:
That is honestly the worst pun ever.

The Rynex and Zelda vignette however are awsome.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 30, 2011

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mascot posted:

Holy poo poo

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Mascot posted:

That is really cool, I especially like the handcuffs as part of the decoration.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

InfinEight posted:

That is really cool, I especially like the handcuffs as part of the decoration.

Thanks, I was really surprised by how easily the designs on the Hylian Shield translated to LEGO...the thing took literally about 20 minutes start-to-finish after I spent two hours trying to figure out the Master Sword.

I just put together a big bricklink order of blue tiles and slopes and stuff to try to clean up the shield. I'll repost it if it comes out any better.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
That thing is awesome man, I wish I could contribute more than just saying "that thing you made is awesome". But it is. Awesome. The thing that you have made is awesome.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Mascot posted:

Can...you give us a parts list? Or more pictures? I need to build this for my gf. :3:
It's incredible.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I havent built anything with Legoes in about a decade and I'm starting to think that - aside from the fact that I need to get back into it - cheese slopes are the best block Lego's come up with in a god damned while. you guys agree?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Just picked up the smallest of the Pirates of the Caribbean sets. I'm actually feeling better about this line than the average licensed set. Sparrow's hair is much more substantial than I was expecting -- it feels really solid, and there's no flesh color on it so I can mix and match it with my yellowheads just fine. The rest of the custom pieces are pretty cool too, and I may end up waiting for the series to go into clearance and try to snipe a bunch of telescope pieces. Kinda wish the ship-in-a-bottle pieces had sticker decals for the ship this time around, though -- I have uses for bottles.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Fayez Butts posted:

I havent built anything with Legoes in about a decade and I'm starting to think that - aside from the fact that I need to get back into it - cheese slopes are the best block Lego's come up with in a god damned while. you guys agree?

I agree. Even a lovely set can be redeemed if it contains enough cheese slopes.
The Ninjago ice dragon set springs to mind.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Mascot posted:

Using the ice saw handle for the sword works really well. Great parts usage all around!

The Alien Conquest sets are starting to come out. I picked this up at TRU today, but couldn't be bothered to put stickers on it. For the record it comes with some cool sky-camo stickers for the wings:

The helicopter thing doesn't hugely excite me, but it does serve as a "make blue spaceships" parts pack. A lot of the newer curves, slopes and wedges are rare or non-existant in blue, so this color scheme is welcome. I love the little alien ships, though.

They are identical, and connect together. They look cool in both configuations.

The printing on the human fig is awesome, and he is an unusual (new?) color. It's not any blue I am familiar with. Also, his clear visor is sweet.

In addition to the ray guns from the collectible minifigure series, which the aliens use, we get this awesome new space gun.

Here is a new canopy used on the alien ships. The helicopter uses the same canopy as the General Greivous fighter, except it's unprinted here.

Apparently the Lego Stores are putting them out this week. I'd say they're worth picking up.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Hmm. I need something like this but not as thick, or like a minifig hand but not angled. Any suggestions?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The Alien Conquest sets are starting to come out.

Oh, no. I was hoping they wouldn't appear until July/August. I'm gonna go broke if the entire announced line comes out in the next couple months!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Alien Conquest

It'll probably be another few weeks before they're in my area, and it's gonna be hard to resist buying them all at once. All those fantastic pieces finally in blue!

BrainWeasel posted:

Hmm. I need something like this but not as thick, or like a minifig hand but not angled. Any suggestions?

A minifig hook-hand maybe? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2531

I spent all weekend dicking with this thing until I was sick of it. Trying to get those jaw pieces to securely sit at just the right angle while being able to swing open was driving me nuts, but I think I have a decent solution now.

Probably gonna be buying more parts for this soon since I finally got the rest of my tax return.

YouTubeTekReviewer
Apr 25, 2005

Anyone know any tricks to make searching Bricklink easier? Ideally, I'd link to be able to input my list of parts that I want to buy and have something spit out links to the store which can fulfill my order best (this store has the cheapest price on bricks A, B, and C while this store has the cheapest on bricks D and E).

Manually searching part by part, store by store, trying to find the most number of bricks across the least number of orders is a bit tedious.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I run a stupid little SEO lego blog, and am thus in the affiliate program. There is a limited time promotion for May 3rd and 4th that I thought you guys might like a one day heads up on:

lego dot comm posted:

Free Shipping + Exclusive LEGO® Star Wars™ Shadow ARF Trooper™ minifigure with any $75 or more LEGO® Star Wars™ purchase!

FREE LEGO® Star Wars™ poster with all purchases, featuring 10 years of Ultimate LEGO® Star Wars™ sets! + Automatic entry to win a first-edition LEGO® Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector’s Millennium Falcon™!

10% off select LEGO Star Wars items: 8091 – Republic Swamp Speeder, 8129 - AT-AT Walker; 8128 – Cade Bane’s Speeder

20% off select LEGO Star Wars items: 10198 – Tantive IV; 10195 – Republic Dropship with AT-OT; 10215 – Obi Wan’s Jedi Starfighter

I've always wanted to get a Tantive IV set and 20% off + free shipping + exclusive minifig + entry for collector's falcon might finally push me over the edge.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

fippo posted:

Anyone know any tricks to make searching Bricklink easier? Ideally, I'd link to be able to input my list of parts that I want to buy and have something spit out links to the store which can fulfill my order best (this store has the cheapest price on bricks A, B, and C while this store has the cheapest on bricks D and E).

Manually searching part by part, store by store, trying to find the most number of bricks across the least number of orders is a bit tedious.

If you make a Wanted List, you can search by store and sort by how many items (and how many unique items that aren't just different colors) each store sells. Then just open the top 5/10 and eyeball the prices. That's about the best method I've found.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Yesssss Alien Conquest! Is the impulse $4.99 set out? I need a bunch of them. It was the same for the Pharaoh Quest set, I got like 8 of the little beetles all over my desk. :3:

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

InfinEight posted:

A minifig hook-hand maybe? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2531

That's... actually perfect, thanks! Now I just need one more of them in not-transparent than I actually own... :sigh:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I haven't played with legos in a long time, but while visiting my parents, I found that some of the small things I've made have survived over the years. I figured I might as well share with the Internet. Here's one of them that I kind of liked:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=471643

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

So because of this thread I downloaded LDD on Saturday. I've been getting new sets for the past year and a half (I like building them and I like Star Wars/medieval-type stuff and the last LEGO thread rekindled my dormant interest) but this program is perfect for a broke guy like me. I made a walker loosely based off the one from this set and despite the limited color selection I was able to do pretty much everything I wanted and managed keep a color scheme. I'm amazed at how many times I revised it.

I googled "LEGO mech" and borrowed/stole ideas from some of the weapons I found. The missile pack can move in a full 360 degree rotation. The railgun won't move in LDD but I bet in real life it could wiggle a bit (maybe). The legs can move out 90 degrees (the front ones can't do it at the same time though). I could probably go through and make some things more efficiently, right now it's at 324 pieces but I'm pretty happy with it. The automatic build instructions are kinda weird though, and I doubt it would be very durable as a real model. I think I wanna build a spaceship next, perhaps one of those Vic Viper things I've seen throughout this thread.

After I made this I looked up LDD's extended mode and enabled it. My reaction was pretty much :stare:

There's so many choices!

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Is the AT-AT a fun build? I might have to break down and get it for 10% off, free shipping and a free minifig.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Aw, I'm a bit disappointed. I picked up two PotC sets today--the Isla de Muerta and the Captain's Quarters set. I got Isla de Muerta mostly for the prospect of chrome gold bars. Sadly, it's not chromed at all. Not like coins from older sets or even the weird plated gold tiles from the Agents line. They're just pearl gold.
Also, no TRUs in Western Washington have Alien Conquest yet.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

it's not chromed at all!

That is lame as hell and one of the main reasons I would have bought any of those sets. Do the pictures on the box still suggest they're chrome?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Aw, I'm a bit disappointed. I picked up two PotC sets today--the Isla de Muerta and the Captain's Quarters set. I got Isla de Muerta mostly for the prospect of chrome gold bars. Sadly, it's not chromed at all. Not like coins from older sets or even the weird plated gold tiles from the Agents line. They're just pearl gold.
Also, no TRUs in Western Washington have Alien Conquest yet.

Yeah. A friend pointed that out to me the other day and I was pretty pissed. They missed multiple opportunities with that gold bar piece. ALL the preview photos showed it as chrome gold but, even if it wasn't, it could have been a cool piece. We were talking about how it could be used as an architectual element, like if you made a masonry wall out of them, but the fact that the "Lego" printing is on the top face kind of ruins that. It really sucks.

I went to the Lego Store today, and they have Alien Conquest, the rest of the new Atlantis sets, the City space theme, the new City marina sets, the Creator lighthouse and the new Kingdoms sets in. They also received the new Cafe Corner Pet Shop. I hadn't even heard about it until today. They will be putting it out for sale on the 10th, apparently. Lego has done a good job of keeping this one under wraps. There haven't been any leaked photos or anything, as far as I am aware.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

That is lame as hell and one of the main reasons I would have bought any of those sets. Do the pictures on the box still suggest they're chrome?

Yup, nice and shiny chrome gold on the box, back and front. But it's all the same pearl gold that you find on Brickdaddy's limo. There are pearl gold bits on the box, but only the 1x1 round plates and jumper plates. The gold cup and gold crystal on the box have the gold texture like the Agents gold bars, but only the crystal actually has it. The jumper plates and 1x1 rounds are a different shade of gold than the coins and bars, too.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

Shuppiluliumas posted:

They also received the new Cafe Corner Pet Shop. I hadn't even heard about it until today. They will be putting it out for sale on the 10th, apparently. Lego has done a good job of keeping this one under wraps. There haven't been any leaked photos or anything, as far as I am aware.

Super excited for this - thanks for the info!

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I went to the Lego Store today, and they have Alien Conquest, the rest of the new Atlantis sets, the City space theme, the new City marina sets, the Creator lighthouse and the new Kingdoms sets in. They also received the new Cafe Corner Pet Shop.

Downtown Disney? I was there Sunday and they didn't have anything new. Did you happen to see if they had the Supercar?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Mascot posted:

Downtown Disney? I was there Sunday and they didn't have anything new. Did you happen to see if they had the Supercar?

King of Prussia. They got their shipment yesterday and apparently spent the whole day just unpacking it. There was a ton of stuff. As for the super car, the stores near me have had it for a while now.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

gently caress the ROW posted:

There is a limited time promotion for May 3rd and 4th that I thought you guys might like a one day heads up on:
Awesome! Thanks for this.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

I wish the Death Star was on sale. I still might buy it anyway since there's at least free shipping, I've been eying that thing for so long and it looks amazing. Someone talk me out of it...

sc0ticus
Apr 16, 2005
hey skin like a doll

Rustie posted:

I wish the Death Star was on sale. I still might buy it anyway since there's at least free shipping, I've been eying that thing for so long and it looks amazing. Someone talk me out of it...

$400 USD!!!! That's as much as a nice netbook. Wait till it's on sale yo. Even 10% will save you $40.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Ok WTF is up with the Lego minifigure accessories (pens, fridge magnets, etc...) that aren't detachable.

For example, the lego fridge magnets could be magnetic blocks with minifigs! Everyone would buy them. But instead, not.

:(

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

CADPAT posted:

Ok WTF is up with the Lego minifigure accessories (pens, fridge magnets, etc...) that aren't detachable.

For example, the lego fridge magnets could be magnetic blocks with minifigs! Everyone would buy them. But instead, not.

:(

Welcome to every magnet prior to 2011. This all changed very recently when it became required to glue the figures to the magnet, in agreement with the updated Star Wars contract. I guess they didn't like the idea that people could just easily buy the figures that they would normally have to buy a large, expensive set for. Makes sense, but sucks for things like army building. This is done to all magnets, not just Star Wars, and I'm guessing that is because of production costs and not wanting to do things two different ways.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

That is so god-drat retarded and I blame George Lucas for it all.

Still, wouldn't be too difficult to embed some small NIB magnets in an old brick and attach whatever you like to it. I might just do this....

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Prepare to have your savings go bust.

Alien Conquest and the awesome new Kingdoms sets are now out in the LEGO stores, along with the really cool Creator Lighthouse.

And look what comes out May 10th:

I seriously want all of it!

Citing source of Pet Shop pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62467536@N06/5684488247/in/photostream/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Aw god no.
Why must I be so broke?

And reports of series 5 in the UK already???!!!