Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ok heres another question for all the Audi goons...

How big of a poser am I for wanting to get a Q7? It meets all the requirements that I need, towing capacity greater than 3500lbs, decent MPG, and AWD. Any advice or opinions? Also how friendly is this car for wrenching? Any thing else I should be aware of?

I have been searching for the Touareg, but those seem to be hen's teeth in this part of the world.

The Q7 hasn't been that much of a problem in general aside from a few odd problems. Things like sunroof drains leaking into the rear/trunk area and destroying the Bose amp and associated wiring behind the right rear panel but that's about all I can think of offhand. We've had several Q7s with damaged/failed MMI control panels but it's been driver error every time (coffee spills into the panel and buttons). They're heavy bastards so they tend to eat brakes and tires and neither are cheap. I get paid to work on Audis but I really don't like working on the Q7 - even routine oil changes end up getting oil all over the place and everything is large and heavy. If you're used to working on heavy vehicles it won't be so bad though. Depending on the trim level you may find that the rearmost seating is not very comfortable and doesn't offer much space for anyone larger than a child. The TDI is a very nice engine in such a big SUV so if you need the torque and you like decent fuel mileage it's a very good choice. Overall, the Q7 has been pretty decent - it wasn't based on the terribly unreliable Touareg 1 - so most customers like it, at least until they have to get 4 new tires or brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Francis Baconator posted:

I'm looking at a 2001 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 wagon with 96K on the clock. The other possibility is a 2003 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7T. Are either of these even remotely reliable or something I can wrench on at home? If not, should I run, not walk away?

Pardon my language, but gently caress the Allroad - unless you feel like replacing the air suspension components (literally thousands of dollars) and waiting for the turbos to go bad then go with another car. If the 01 Avant you're looking at has had decent maintenance and the price is right it's worth a look - the 2.8 is a pretty tough motor but keep in mind that it's a 10 year old car - they can turn into a money pit in a big hurry. When in doubt, take either car to a shop you trust and have them look it over - $100 is WELL worth it to know what you're getting into and in either car it could be a very unhappy experience.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Toebone posted:

My 09 Rabbit (automatic) is coming up on 70k, and like an rear end in a top hat I haven't done much besides oil changes after my complimentary dealership maintenance ran out after 30k. Anything super important I should be doing to keep it happy?

Have a look in the owner's manual for the maintenance schedule - it's a pretty solid guide. The 2.5L has been decent and the Rabbit has been very good on the whole so I'd stick with the manufacturer's scheduled stuff.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

my1999gsr posted:

Have a look in the owner's manual for the maintenance schedule - it's a pretty solid guide. The 2.5L has been decent and the Rabbit has been very good on the whole so I'd stick with the manufacturer's scheduled stuff.

Well, if you have had nothing but oil done, it probably needs a rad flush, brake fluid flush, new plugs, new filters, all that fun stuff that should have been done at 40k.

One thing I have made sure to keep up with on this car is to do the brake fluid flush every 2 years, cause I really don't want to have any issues with the ABS.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

veedubfreak posted:

Well, if you have had nothing but oil done, it probably needs a rad flush, brake fluid flush, new plugs, new filters, all that fun stuff that should have been done at 40k.

One thing I have made sure to keep up with on this car is to do the brake fluid flush every 2 years, cause I really don't want to have any issues with the ABS.

Whoops, forgot to mention that I did the filters and plugs at 40k. I'll get the fluids done though.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I wish I could have gotten to my cell phone in time. This afternoon in traffic I saw an early 2000s A6 with a vinyl roof :ughh:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
My Wife is trying to sell her 2006 VW GTI with 103k on it. I would say the condition is fair for it being a commuter car and being parked at a college several days a week.

Mechanically, the car is sound. In the last 10k, we've done the control arms, tie rods, wheel bearings, timing chain, thermostat, water pump, the entire steering rack system, and various other maintenance. It's always been kept up to date on fluid flushes and spark plugs. It's been in one accident where it was rear ended and the bumper cover was replaced, no frame damage.

Physically, it has some dents and dings and scrapes. Nothing that I would say detracts from the look of the car. Knowing all of this information, what would you guys pay for a car like this? We're just trying to get an idea before we put it up on Vortex and Craigslist. Do you think it's possible we could get $9k for it?

Also, it says 2006 GTI on the registration, but it looks like a 2005. Wasn't 06 the facelift year? Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't know anything about Volkswagens.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

get out posted:

Also, it says 2006 GTI on the registration, but it looks like a 2005. Wasn't 06 the facelift year? Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't know anything about Volkswagens.

Run the VIN through a decoder like http://www.decodethis.com/ for the definitive answer.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

get out posted:

My Wife is trying to sell her 2006 VW GTI with 103k on it. I would say the condition is fair for it being a commuter car and being parked at a college several days a week.

Mechanically, the car is sound. In the last 10k, we've done the control arms, tie rods, wheel bearings, timing chain, thermostat, water pump, the entire steering rack system, and various other maintenance. It's always been kept up to date on fluid flushes and spark plugs. It's been in one accident where it was rear ended and the bumper cover was replaced, no frame damage.

Physically, it has some dents and dings and scrapes. Nothing that I would say detracts from the look of the car. Knowing all of this information, what would you guys pay for a car like this? We're just trying to get an idea before we put it up on Vortex and Craigslist. Do you think it's possible we could get $9k for it?

IIRC, the 05 and 06 GTI look more or less the same so you're ok there. We recently sold a 2007 GTI with 190,000 kms for about $9000 CDN so I would think you're pricing your car a little low. Try checking autotrader.com for similar cars in your area to get a better idea of what they're going for.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Someone is a jerk and stole the "J" from the "Jetta" badging on the back of my girl's 09. :( Where can I order a replacement? (Either just the J, or more likely the whole thing).

I hate people.

edit: vwpartsdepartment.com has them. Welp at least I used this post to bitch about people who steal stuff I guess!

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 27, 2011

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

Someone is a jerk and stole the "J" from the "Jetta" badging on the back of my girl's 09. :( Where can I order a replacement? (Either just the J, or more likely the whole thing).

I hate people.

edit: vwpartsdepartment.com has them. Welp at least I used this post to bitch about people who steal stuff I guess!

Debadge.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I wanted to debadge her car when she first brought it home but since it's a lease (and due to go back in September) she wouldn't let me. > : ) If she ends up keeping it I'm gonna debage it one night while she's sleeping just to see if she ends up liking it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Wamsutta posted:

I wanted to debadge her car when she first brought it home but since it's a lease (and due to go back in September) she wouldn't let me. > : ) If she ends up keeping it I'm gonna debage it one night while she's sleeping just to see if she ends up liking it.

When you debadge, do you also blackout the front? Mine fell off, and I was thinking of just making a new one instead of buying a new fender.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

LorneReams posted:

When you debadge, do you also blackout the front? Mine fell off, and I was thinking of just making a new one instead of buying a new fender.

On my TSX, I took off the "Acura" and "TSX" lettering and called it a day. Taking off the central "A" on the back would leave you with a couple of holes. I think a lot of cars are like that, although some are just held on with adhesive.

I think blacking out the front emblem could look tacky in a lot of instances but on a black car, I guess it could work. :) Play around with it, it's fun. As long as you're not doing stupid poo poo like calling your USDM Jetta a Bora you're probably okay.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

On my TSX, I took off the "Acura" and "TSX" lettering and called it a day. Taking off the central "A" on the back would leave you with a couple of holes. I think a lot of cars are like that, although some are just held on with adhesive.

I think blacking out the front emblem could look tacky in a lot of instances but on a black car, I guess it could work. :) Play around with it, it's fun. As long as you're not doing stupid poo poo like calling your USDM Jetta a Bora you're probably okay.

These adhesive stains on the back of a white car is killing me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dr. Jackal posted:

These adhesive stains on the back of a white car is killing me.

Magic Eraser.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

I think blacking out the front emblem could look tacky in a lot of instances but on a black car,

Agreed.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

Magic Eraser.

The best invention ever. Its best uses are on vinyl; landau tops, headliners, seats, all that poo poo.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

DropShadow posted:

Agreed.

It just doesn't look right with the VW badge blacked out like that IMHO.

It's like when you see an Audi that's been de-ringed. It looks like a knockoff of an Audi drawn up for a videogame.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

el topo posted:

It just doesn't look right with the VW badge blacked out like that IMHO.

It's like when you see an Audi that's been de-ringed. It looks like a knockoff of an Audi drawn up for a videogame.

Respectfully disagree. I miss that car.

Samnit
Jun 25, 2004

Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon merangue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators.
Just got back from APR's headquarters in Opelika, AL to get my 2011 GTI flashed with the stage 1. Really cool place to see if you're a VW lover...

Anyways, I haven't really driven it hard because I started feeling a uniform vibration in both the gas pedal and steering wheel at speed between 50-80mph.

The car only has 8000 miles on it but I did have to get a new tire because of a massive pothole that bubbled the front passenger side tire. The shop told me the wheel wasn't bent, so I'm beginning to think that I might have hosed up the suspension. I've also read that the motor/transmission mount could be causing these vibrations as well.

I'm definitely not a car expert but I love this car... can anyone help me diagnose the problem a little further so I know what to tell the mechanic to look for when I take it in?

Bonus pic of my black GTI in the APR garage (their older 181 car in the foreground):

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Samnit posted:

Anyways, I haven't really driven it hard because I started feeling a uniform vibration in both the gas pedal and steering wheel at speed between 50-80mph.

The car only has 8000 miles on it but I did have to get a new tire because of a massive pothole that bubbled the front passenger side tire. The shop told me the wheel wasn't bent, so I'm beginning to think that I might have hosed up the suspension. I've also read that the motor/transmission mount could be causing these vibrations as well.

Sounds like a wheel-balance problem. The wheel may not be bent but if it lost one of those strategic little weight widgets you will get vibrations but only at specific speeds.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

What are thoughts on the 2008 R32 compared with the Golf R?

I have a 2007 GTI that I bought new 4 years ago, really love it, but I'm likely to be moving to the Sierras soon and will want/need something AWD, so I'm thinking about either picking up a used R32 or waiting a bit for a new Golf R.

From what I've been reading, it looks the the Golf R is quite a bit better, but of course will come at a premium because it'll be new and in limited supply. On the other hand, it seems like prices for used R32s are still pretty high; from my searching, I'm guessing I'd pay roughly 20-25k for an R32, vs ~$35k for a Golf R.

Any strong feelings one way or the other (perhaps anyone in Europe who owns or has driven a Golf R already?), or is this just going to boil down to personal preference/finances?

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Steve French posted:

2008 R32

The R32 is a great car and I loved it. But it (and the R as well as the A3/S3/TT) are haldex based (electronic coupling) AWD. Not sure if I would want to rely on that system if I was living in a very remote place. Anyway, you could get a torsen based (mechanical coupling) AWD car like a used A4/S4 for around the same price as the new R.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Why wouldn't you rely on Haldex AWD? Audi's quattro is supposed to be one of the best systems in its class.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Scabrous Teat posted:

Why wouldn't you rely on Haldex AWD?

Electronic couplings have clutches that can wear out. The haldex system has advantages in handling but in traction loss situations there is a slight delay in switching to AWD mode from FWD mode.

Scabrous Teat posted:

Audi's quattro is supposed to be one of the best systems in its class.
Agreed. But it sounds like you're talking about quattro the trademark. I'm talking about haldex vs. torsen quattro systems.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

PoopinClumpin posted:

The R32 is a great car and I loved it. But it (and the R as well as the A3/S3/TT) are haldex based (electronic coupling) AWD. Not sure if I would want to rely on that system if I was living in a very remote place. Anyway, you could get a torsen based (mechanical coupling) AWD car like a used A4/S4 for around the same price as the new R.

To clarify, I won't be moving anywhere particularly remote; I'm looking at Lake Tahoe area. I will mostly want AWD because I'll still probably be driving back to San Francisco on a fairly regular basis, and California has a tendency to enforce chain control when there's a few inches of snow on the ground; I don't want to have to deal with being required to chain up all the time. I grew up in Syracuse driving FWD cars in the snow there all the time; I don't need the greatest, most reliable AWD system. It would be nice, sure, but for the most part I just need it so that I don't have to put chains on.

That said, thanks for the advice, getting a used A4/S4 has crossed my mind. However, (and I admit this is silly), my girlfriend has an A4, so getting another A4 doesn't appeal to me a lot, and getting an S4 would just make her jealous.

ignorant slut
Apr 27, 2008
e: nvm

ignorant slut fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 1, 2011

ignorant slut
Apr 27, 2008
just picked up a 2004 V6 Touareg with 32k miles - thoughts on reliability? Any issues I may run into down the road?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ignorant slut posted:

just picked up a 2004 V6 Touareg with 32k miles - thoughts on reliability? Any issues I may run into down the road?
Wow that's really low mileage for a 2004. What was the ballpark price on that?

ignorant slut
Apr 27, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wow that's really low mileage for a 2004. What was the ballpark price on that?

Got it for $17k. Owner was asking 18.5. It's in pristine condition, fully loaded (minus navigation), so it really is a heck of a deal. My only concern is that I've heard they sometimes have reliability issues with their electrical systems, but for a deal like that I was willing to take it.

ignorant slut
Apr 27, 2008

ignorant slut posted:

Got it for $17k. Owner was asking 18.5. It's in pristine condition, fully loaded (minus navigation), so it really is a heck of a deal. My only concern is that I've heard they sometimes have reliability issues with their electrical systems, but for a deal like that I was willing to take it.

Just got a copy of the Carfax - looks good except the radio was replaced twice in one month back in 07... so looks like I've dodged the bullet?

shadow diver
Dec 25, 2004

ignorant slut posted:

I recently bought an '04 V8 (every option except KESSY, hitch, and 4 zone.)

The drive shaft is a common failure point, dealers will charge $1500 or so. It can be done for 1/3 if you are mechanically inclined. In fact, doing routine maintenance and repairs yourself can save a ton of money with this vehicle. I just did a brake job (replaced all 4 rotors, plus pads, sensors and caliper hardware). Parts were around $800 (with shipping across the country), as opposed to $1200+ at the dealer, if they can do it right. My (and your) Touareg has a really nice Brembo brake system, it's very high performance but the downside is expense.

If you have air suspension, there is a risk of corrosion due to poor design of the front canisters (only in T1s, which is 2004-2006). If the vehicle has been located in an area where salt is used on the roads you are at risk. Mine was in NC it's entire life so this was not an issue, however I was unfortunate enough to have an air strut blow out while the vehicle was parked. No other damage occurred and while I'm glad it didn't happen while I was on the highway, it cost $2500 to fix ($1600 part + labor). This is not a common occurrence, and my research + the dealer could not find a single instance of this occurring before in a Touareg (although I did find some reference to a Cayenne having a similar blowout). Just make sure you get an extended warranty and make sure it covers everything, I did not realize that mine covered suspension but not any air suspension components. That mistake cost me, and I upgraded the warranty before the vehicle was out of the shop.

Electronics problems are pretty much hit or miss, I've been lucky with mine so far. KESSY can go bad, and it's expensive. TPMS sensors will go out and they are expensive to replace. If you go to ross-tech.com and get a VAG-COM, you can turn the sensors off, as well as do a bunch of other useful things such as turn the seatbelt chime off, turn off DRLs (if you have xexons), reprogram transmission shift points to ROW values.

Clubtouareg.com is pretty much the best resource on the subject. I'm not sure about specific issue relating to your engine and things you should look for. Did you get the TDI?

Here's mine:

Blow out:

$2500 later:

shadow diver fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 2, 2011

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Is KESSY pretty unreliable in general, or have the latest versions been more or less problem free? I didn't even know they had KESSY on 04 MY cars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ignorant slut posted:

Is this one a TDI like you were looking for?

shadow diver
Dec 25, 2004
The Touareg has had the feature since it's inception, although the earlier MYs didn't include the engine Start/Stop button. You can buy a kit and install one from a Phaeton or later MY Touareg, however. My impression is that after the facelift it's been pretty problem free, and prior to there were sporadic problems. The big issue would be if the module went bad out of warranty. The best place to check would be clubtouareg.com for Touareg specific questions, or vwvortex.com for other VW KESSY concerns. There are probably model specific forums that I am not aware of, I don't own any other VWs (until I find a W12 4 seater Phaeton in a color combo I like that's in good condition, that is. Easier said than done in the US).

I can't speak from firsthand experience. I wanted the option and when I was car searching I found it difficult to find the combination of options I wanted (top level trim package, with a V8 and air suspension, rear differential locker, nav, decent color combo, etc). The vehicle I finally found fitting these requirements, in good shape, with good maintenance records was 500 miles away. I was in a bit of a hurry (cancelled connecting flight on the way there resulting in lengthy delay), so after checking the important stuff I guess I glanced over the details. A few days later after getting it back home I quickly realized that it lacked a few features that it was supposed to have, and had been listed on the website and window sticker (KESSY, power tilt/telescoping wheel, passenger seat memory, rear seat heaters, heated steering wheel, and pass through rear seat). I was a little annoyed, but it's my own fault through negligence. The dealer was terrible in general and broke some other stuff on the vehicle, but that's another story. The Touareg has been a great vehicle overall and I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. That said, if I upgrade to an '08 T2 when the warranty runs out on this one in a few years, it will have KESSY, ACC, and all the other high tech features.

ignorant slut
Apr 27, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Is this one a TDI like you were looking for?

No, I wish it was - but I just haven't seen them on CL. I was hesitant to get this guy, but the fact that it was such low mileage and in such pristine condition pushed me to go for it.

Besides the mpg, I wanted any TDI model because: fantastic low-end torque would help me zoom up all the hills around here, the lower-temperature burning diesel would put a lot less wear and tear on the engine, and because I know this Polish guy at work who has a cousin who works on the TDI team in Europe and he says that the engines are designed to last 300-400k miles.

I'm thinking about posting mine on CL as a "willing to trade straight up for a 50-70k mileage TDI"

ignorant slut
Apr 27, 2008

shadow diver posted:

Here's mine:

Wow, yours looks great! May I ask approximately what mileage and price you got on yours?
Also pics of mine coming soon, although I think I have the exact same exterior (if yours is metallic light sky blue that is, I can't quite tell)

shadow diver
Dec 25, 2004
Everyone loves the V6 TDI, it's a great engine in general and probably the most well balanced engine option for the Touareg. Tons of torque and good fuel economy. It's up to you, drive yours around for awhile and then go test drive a TDI.

I initially wanted the Touareg with a V10 TDI, but after doing some research determined that it's not the vehicle for me at the moment. Although I could find some '04s within my price range, I learned that maintenance out of warranty was not within my price range on the V10 vs the V8. Although I plan to get rid of it right around the time the warranty expires, there's no guarantee.

So consider what your requirements are and that you have to drive the vehicle each day. I was obviously more concerned with engine power rather than economy when choosing.

Mine had around 70k and I paid $15,500. The color is wheat beige metallic, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Steve French posted:

What are thoughts on the 2008 R32 compared with the Golf R?

I have a 2007 GTI that I bought new 4 years ago, really love it, but I'm likely to be moving to the Sierras soon and will want/need something AWD, so I'm thinking about either picking up a used R32 or waiting a bit for a new Golf R.

From what I've been reading, it looks the the Golf R is quite a bit better, but of course will come at a premium because it'll be new and in limited supply. On the other hand, it seems like prices for used R32s are still pretty high; from my searching, I'm guessing I'd pay roughly 20-25k for an R32, vs ~$35k for a Golf R.

Any strong feelings one way or the other (perhaps anyone in Europe who owns or has driven a Golf R already?), or is this just going to boil down to personal preference/finances?

Here's one thing to sway you, the 08 r32 came ONLY in automatic, and thus was tragic. The new Golf R comes ONLY in 6 speed manual, and will have 260 hp vs the 200 of the 08 R32. That being said, a good set of snow tires will make more difference than all wheel drive any day of the week. The first season I moved to Colorado I made 15 trips up to Breck/Keystone and the only time I ever had traction problems was due to clearance issues from being low as poo poo, which both the R's will have.