Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
I like turkey and ham sandwiches

Genpei Turtle posted:

OK, I have to know, because this has been bugging me for a while--what kind of needles do you use to knit something that big? I've knit baby blankets a fraction of that size and they fill up the longest circular needles I could find with very little room left over. Are there special multi-meter circular needles out there I'm unaware of or something? Inquiring minds want to know.

Beautiful blanket, BTW.

Just your fairly typical 27 (?) inch circular needles. The stitches were pretty packed on the needles, but I could knit comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Anyone ever get really bummed out by something frustrating happening on top of all the stress and just buy yarn to feel better? Yeah. It's one of those days.

Also, does anyone in this thread use or can recommend some (not-Brooklyn Tweed) workhorse small mill yarns? (like the starmmore yarns or Peace Fleece yarns (I can't handle peace fleece yarns because of a horrible mohair reaction :( )) I'm looking for a possible substitute to handspun for a pattern I'm designing, since I know not everyone can just sit and spin 16 oz of yarn for a vest. Small mill stuff tends to (to me) resemble handspun a bit more closely.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

FelicityGS posted:

Anyone ever get really bummed out by something frustrating happening on top of all the stress and just buy yarn to feel better? Yeah. It's one of those days.

Yes, I spent $100 at DBNY on Monday because ugh, I needed it due to tons of stress right now and I've knitted through tons of stash doing gift exchanges. I got 2 grab bags, 2 skeins of bulky pink yarn I plan to make mitts and possibly a matching hat from, a skein of supersock DK I've been lusting over and some worsted superwash to dye my own.

Which comes to my question! I just dyed a hank of fingering and around the ties the dye didn't soak in as much as the rest. I'm calling it a feature but in the future, should I retie hanks more loosely than they come before sticking them in the pot to fix that or any other tricks? I thought they were loose enough but here we are. I did immersion dyeing with koolaid if that makes a difference.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It may help to tie more loosely--just not so lose that it can tangle or escape. I usually just sort of tie it so that it's a little snug against it when dry, but not tight. When it gets wet everything gets thinner, so then the dye can get through.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I don't have anything as cool as everyone else seems to but that's mostly because I'm a dabbler. I actually started knitting because I had a dream I knew how to and went and bought some needles and yarn to see if the dream was right. It wasn't but I figured I had the stuff might as well learn. I made one square thing that I think we decided was a pot holder or hot pad and I quit. Last December my grandma died and when we were going through her stuff I snagged some needles and yarn and decided to take up knitting again.

For my return to knitting I made this

I'm not sure what it is but it was fun making it. I may sew it up and make it into a hat.

After making that I decided to test out a stockinette stitch try to make a sweatband.

you can see here where I messed up sewing the ends together

Currently I'm working on two projects one being what I call the afghan scarf

This is just going to be a garter stitch scarf made out of an afghan my grandma never finished making.

The other is this experiment using circular needles

I've never used them before and just decided to wing it and see what happens.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I finished a cushion cover today - in black and white garter stitch (holding one thread of black acrylic DK and one of white acrylic 4-ply together as one, knitting on 6mm needles). Unfortunately, it's too small for the cushion I have. Should have planned these things better, yes. Anyway, into town, possibly tomorrow, to buy a smaller cushion from somewhere and maybe knit a bigger cushion cover (85 rows is too short, must remember that)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm going to make this double-knit bag but I don't know if I like the skull pattern.

Does anyone else have a good knit chart patterns?

e:This one looks pretty good, but complicated. I've never done a knitting chart before :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 30, 2011

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'm going to make this double-knit bag but I don't know if I like the skull pattern.

Does anyone else have a good knit chart patterns?

e:This one looks pretty good, but complicated. I've never done a knitting chart before :ohdear:

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

Make your own! Like this!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dead Cow posted:

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

Make your own! Like this!

God drat it now I need bright pink yarn! :argh:

Maybe if I swing by Michaels before my class...

e: Okay, now I need help again. If the bag is 42 stitches wide, and I want my squiddle nice and big in the middle, how many stitches wide should the squiddle be?

e2: "Hmm, I can't remember if Rose's color is more pink or purple. I'll just GIS and-

:stare:"

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 30, 2011

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

e: Okay, now I need help again. If the bag is 42 stitches wide, and I want my squiddle nice and big in the middle, how many stitches wide should the squiddle be?

The low res knitPro option gives you a squiddle that's 34 stitches wide, which seems pretty all right, although I'm not sure if it'd be tall enough for the bag.

Also, now I kinda want to make duttle bag.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

e2: "Hmm, I can't remember if Rose's color is more pink or purple. I'll just GIS and-

:stare:"

Yeah, I just put that one there as a clear vision of what knit pro can do. For a bag I'd use the smaller option.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Hey guess what I did tonight instead of something productive!

That's right. It was such a pain in the rear end I put a watermark on it.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I need help!!

I'm working with a couple of girls on campus to form a knitting club. I'm trying to make flyers to put around campus to get people to join but I'm stumped trying to figure out a short, catchy slogan to put on it. I was going to put "CHICKS WITH STICKS" with a picture of a skull and two knitting needles, but as someone pointed out, then guys won't want to join. I doubt they would anyway, but still..

So anyone know of catchy phrases to get people to join up? :)

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Lackadaisical posted:

I need help!!

I'm working with a couple of girls on campus to form a knitting club. I'm trying to make flyers to put around campus to get people to join but I'm stumped trying to figure out a short, catchy slogan to put on it. I was going to put "CHICKS WITH STICKS" with a picture of a skull and two knitting needles, but as someone pointed out, then guys won't want to join. I doubt they would anyway, but still..

So anyone know of catchy phrases to get people to join up? :)

College right?
You could always go with

LONG STICKS
AND
FUZZY BALLS

Now that I have your attention
Join the knitting club!

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Elohssa Gib:
Nice going! Nobody sees the oopsies but you. (At least that's what all my non knitter friends tell me. "Where? I don't see a gently caress up?" "Here! RIGHT HERE!")
Keep experimenting! It gives you ideas. Then you too can lay awake at night charting crap out in your head. Wheeee...
Lackadaisical:
Knit fast, die warm. (With skull and needles)

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Alright, currently in the middle of a knitting meltdown. So I decided to fix a problem a couple rows back with letting the stitch drop and re-knitting it with a crochet hook however it all went horribly. Now the bottom and top have the right tension but the middle of the "fixed" row is retarded. I've been trying to tighten up the stitch for the last three hours but it just isn't working. So now instead of a small problem I have giant gaping holes in my work.
I think this is what insanity feels like :'(

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Don't panic or feel horrible. Two possibilities--you didn't grab the right strand for that one, in which case just check for an extra strand now hanging around. The other fix--blocking. I know I've had looser things when picking up dropped stitches, but blocking basically forced the whole garment to behave.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Dead Cow posted:

College right?
You could always go with

LONG STICKS
AND
FUZZY BALLS

Now that I have your attention
Join the knitting club!

Wow that's awesome. I wish the "official" head of the club wasn't a conservative asian girl or else this would be all over the campus by tomorrow. :)

She named the club: Knit A Stitch and wants me to just have that on the flyer. It feels so boring though. I'll see how she feels about Knit fast, die warm.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Lackadaisical posted:

Wow that's awesome. I wish the "official" head of the club wasn't a conservative asian girl or else this would be all over the campus by tomorrow. :)

She named the club: Knit A Stitch and wants me to just have that on the flyer. It feels so boring though. I'll see how she feels about Knit fast, die warm.

"Faster, Pussycat! Purl! Purl!"

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I learned to double knit! :woop:

And after talking with my teacher I've adjusted the Squiddles chart so it'll look better on my double-knit bag

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Just finished my first Baby Surprise Jacket, in size 6mo. Will be trying it on the newborn sized nephew next week since it looks too small to me. I do have a question though. Through googling, I see EZ made button holes on both sides on purpose but how in the hell am I supposed to put buttons on this thing? Normally I sew them onto the knitted fabric but now there are holes there! I know there's gotta be a way, help! Maybe it's the style button? I usually get the type with 2/4 holes not the ones with those things on the back. I am so technical :ohdear:

BSJ in supersock DK select colorway Walking on the Sun

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

zamiel posted:

Through googling, I see EZ made button holes on both sides on purpose but how in the hell am I supposed to put buttons on this thing? Normally I sew them onto the knitted fabric but now there are holes there! I know there's gotta be a way, help! Maybe it's the style button? I usually get the type with 2/4 holes not the ones with those things on the back. I am so technical :ohdear:

From the picture it looks to me as if the buttonholes don't line up, are they stepped? If so, you can just sew the buttons on as normally, opposite each hole.

If they do line up, I guess you could use toggles, but I'd be worried about a baby trying to eat them.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

madlilnerd posted:

From the picture it looks to me as if the buttonholes don't line up, are they stepped? If so, you can just sew the buttons on as normally, opposite each hole.

If they do line up, I guess you could use toggles, but I'd be worried about a baby trying to eat them.

they'll line up once i block it. According to this post it's supposed to be like that in the pattern http://www.meetup.com/knitnyc/messages/boards/thread/6137126/10#initialized

quote:

Why I like this - it is a pain to mark out where the buttons should be sewn. EZ has made it so that you cover the unused buttonholes with a button which saves you time measuring and marking. You already did it in the knitting!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
One of the sweaters I made earlier this year I was worried about lining up buttons so I put a little waste yarn through those exact stitches in the same pattern as the button holes on the other side. Seems easier than making another button hole but I get it. You'll want buttons that are a little bigger than the holes anyway, so they should cover up the holes pretty well.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

zamiel posted:

Just finished my first Baby Surprise Jacket, in size 6mo. Will be trying it on the newborn sized nephew next week since it looks too small to me. I do have a question though. Through googling, I see EZ made button holes on both sides on purpose but how in the hell am I supposed to put buttons on this thing? Normally I sew them onto the knitted fabric but now there are holes there! I know there's gotta be a way, help! Maybe it's the style button? I usually get the type with 2/4 holes not the ones with those things on the back. I am so technical :ohdear:

BSJ in supersock DK select colorway Walking on the Sun

You can either sew the unused buttonholes closed before sewing buttons on, or you can just position the buttons over the holes in such a way that the holes on the buttons line up to 2 holes below the buttonhole slit and two holes above it, before sewing them on.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I have a problem! A little while ago I started working on the Dr. Watson sweater. I completed the main body using circular needles with no problems but when I started working the back I noticed the chevrons aren't as nice, I guess since I'm knitting flat and going back and forth as opposed to in the round, maybe my purl stitches are twisted in different directions so they're not as distinct?

I'm not sure how to describe this but I can see a clear distinction between the really clean looking chevrons on the part done in the round and the not-as-clear chevrons that were knit flat. I tried to photograph it but it doesn't show very well. This could be something that only I would notice but it will still drive me bonkers. What am I doing wrong? Can I fix this?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It is possible that because you purl a different than you knit when knitting flat, you're seeing that. Whenever I knit flat, I always get one row with bigger stitches, one with smaller ones. Usually, blocking takes care of it. Another option is to switch the needle on the right when you purl back across--since the right hand needle is the one making your stitch size, you don't need to keep changing it out. Not sure if you would need to go up or down a size, but it's what I do when knitting heel flaps.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

TastesLikeChicken posted:

"Faster, Pussycat! Purl! Purl!"

Hahaha :)

So I'm a chronic scarf knitter since I never bothered to learn anything more advanced. I recently finished one that was basket weave stitch and that was the most complicated thing I've done. I want to start knitting new things but most choices seem very winter-y. It was in the 80's today!

What are good summer projects?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

If you don't want to branch out too far from scarves, you can try some shawls. Citron is pretty nice and doesn't have too much shaping, or you can try something like Damson which is a touch more lacy.

Or you could even go with some shrugs if you want more of a challenge: the Lemongrass Bolero and Ribbed Lace Bolero both look pretty easy.

I dunno about summer days though, these are all better for evenings. v:shobon:v

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I have some really hideously ugly orange yarn in my possession, sorta chunky. It used to be a scarf but I just frogged it, because my rear end in a top hat former roommate didn't want it anymore. I knit it for him last Christmas, and he wore it twice before he kicked me out and gave it back. I want to knit something spiteful out of it, but don't have a lot of ideas other than a big intarsia gently caress YOU with some awful contrasting color. So far this is my favorite idea, but I've never done intarsia before and all my needles are either a bit too big or too small to get the guage I want.

Any ideas?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Mizufusion posted:

I have some really hideously ugly orange yarn in my possession, sorta chunky. It used to be a scarf but I just frogged it, because my rear end in a top hat former roommate didn't want it anymore. I knit it for him last Christmas, and he wore it twice before he kicked me out and gave it back. I want to knit something spiteful out of it, but don't have a lot of ideas other than a big intarsia gently caress YOU with some awful contrasting color. So far this is my favorite idea, but I've never done intarsia before and all my needles are either a bit too big or too small to get the guage I want.

Any ideas?

I'd use smaller than recommended needles to get a nice dense gauge and knit a voodoo doll or something. Or do the intarsia gently caress you thing and make a pillow out of it or something. Perfect opportunity to learn intarsia since it seems unlikely that you'd be that upset if it didn't look perfect on this particular project.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Lackadaisical posted:

Hahaha :)

So I'm a chronic scarf knitter since I never bothered to learn anything more advanced. I recently finished one that was basket weave stitch and that was the most complicated thing I've done. I want to start knitting new things but most choices seem very winter-y. It was in the 80's today!

Cotton cardigans, toys, boleros to cover up your arms, big beach bags, machine washable picnic blankets...

Knit a diamond in pure wool, felt, attach to sticks and string, voila! A knitted kite.

If you're making something big, choose a combination of open stitches and light materials like a lacework shawl in bamboo or cotton.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mizufusion posted:

Any ideas?

I once made a knitted voodoo doll out of expensive as gently caress angora/silk yarn that was half-knitted into a wedding garter.

Don't know where that doll went though. That worries me.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Lackadaisical posted:

You could make a bag, many of them are essentially just rectangles, so not much more complex than a scarf. Of course, if you make them of stretchy yarn (like acrylic), you might want to put a lining in them so they won't stretch to the ground if anything heavier than an envelope goes in them. Cotton yarn will make a less stretchy bag, of course.

There are also some patterns out there for short-sleeved/sleeveless tops if you want to make something less rectangular. Look out for cotton, linen or bamboo-type yarns. Here's a link to all the items tagged "summer" with a difficulty of 1 on Ravelry (if you have an account there)

Anyway, for my birthday today, my mother gave me the first Stitch 'n' Bitch book, which I already have. Receiving presents can be awkward. Anyway, I didn't want to upset her by saying I already have it, so the older one is off to a charity shop tomorrow. I also got six skeins of acrylic yarn, and may make a sweater or something of it. Right now, I'm making squares of self-striping (rubbish acrylic) yarn, because that's how easily amused I am.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Oh gosh Pat Catan's mill ends will be the death of me. 18 dollars for 3 huge bags. one worsted, one bulky and one SOCK yarn. I don't even do socks! WHY ZAM?! I think the bulky green stuff has some wool in it, will be doing test burns later to find out for sure, but it screamed Christmas present at me for my aunt who loves dark green. The sock stuff looks very familiar, going to poke around ravelry later, I'm thinking Kroy.

So besides sharing my yarn porn I have one more button question I'm so sorry! I got the perfect buttons for it, but they're the type with the doohickey in the back and one hole. Not sure what that's called, but my googlefu is weak and I'm not sure how to sew those suckers on.

Lackadaisical some people work more with cottons in the summer, grocery bags or washcloths perhaps. Right now I'm making an iPad cozy for my brother in fingering weight wool so it's not too hot. Also, baby stuff is very satisfying knits if you know anyone expecting. That BSJ took me about a week going slow and fixing a few mistakes.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

zamiel posted:

So besides sharing my yarn porn I have one more button question I'm so sorry! I got the perfect buttons for it, but they're the type with the doohickey in the back and one hole. Not sure what that's called, but my googlefu is weak and I'm not sure how to sew those suckers on.

Your best option for the BSJ anyway, is to sew the unused button holes closed, then sew the buttons on top of where the holes used to be. BTW, those are button shanks.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Zameil posted:

Lackadaisical some people work more with cottons in the summer, grocery bags or washcloths perhaps. Right now I'm making an iPad cozy for my brother in fingering weight wool so it's not too hot. Also, baby stuff is very satisfying knits if you know anyone expecting. That BSJ took me about a week going slow and fixing a few mistakes.

And some of us are crazy enough to continue knitting wool even when it's 100F out and just looking at the yarn makes your hands sweat. (That would be me)

Usually I cast on a lace shawl for the spring and summer, since even if it's wool it won't kill you with heat (usually).

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Fionnoula posted:

Your best option for the BSJ anyway, is to sew the unused button holes closed, then sew the buttons on top of where the holes used to be. BTW, those are button shanks.

thank you x a million! :)

FelicityGS posted:

And some of us are crazy enough to continue knitting wool even when it's 100F out and just looking at the yarn makes your hands sweat. (That would be me)

Usually I cast on a lace shawl for the spring and summer, since even if it's wool it won't kill you with heat (usually).

this is my first summer being a serious knitter so I'll probably be doing the same heh. Although I don't quite get shawls, and it makes me feel silly. Are they just fancy wraps? I have a huge thing of lace weight cotton I've though of dying and making a wedding shawl. It seems like it'd be a nice wrap for after the ceremony if it gets cold (late october wedding next year)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I just knit them because I enjoy knitting lace--I find it very relaxing and meditative, more so than most other knitting. Most of mine get blocked, worn at knitting events if I'm teaching (I tie two of the ends behind my back, so it's like a shrug), and basically folded up and put away. Sometimes I give them as gifts, but I know, realistically, they probably don't get much wear unless they are the small ones good for scarf like wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Last night's adventure, attempting nupps for the first time. The first three were horrible. Nupp one, I forgot to purl the last loop, so I ended up just slipping it over the stitch. Good luck getting that one out. Nupp two, looks like it was needle felted after the countless stabs to it. I finally just shoved the needletip in, prayed, and pulled through whatever was there. Good luck getting that one out. Nupp three, I pulled through the first loops and thought I got them all but I apparently didn't. When I dropped the stitch from the needles, there was an errant loop sticking out. I thought it would come down into the nupp if I pulled, but no. So, good luck getting that one out.

Basically, if I have to rip out to my lifeline, I'm screwed.

On the other hand, I finally figured out a good technique that makes the nupps nuppy.