Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Molten Llama posted:

Free or paid? Print or monitor?

The tremendously open-source Argyll will technically let you generate print or monitor profiles for free if you can manage to understand its nerd-driven interface and questionable documentation. I'm not particularly a fan of the profiles it generates, either, but they're better than nothing (and some people claim to get better profiles than Eye-One Match).

Eye-One Match isn't ungodly expensive for the monitor profiling module alone. ColorEyes Display Pro is $175 but an excellent monitor profiling package. If you're using a LaCie/Eizo/NEC pro-line display, all of their monitor profiling packages are compatible with the i1 Pro and relatively affordable if you don't need a puck.

Print... Spread 'em or use Argyll is about the extent of the options.

Free - monitor. I have another puck on my i1iO that I use for monitors. I wanted to use it as a backup, maybe loan it out to customers or even sell it. I downloaded Argyll and the dispcalGUI but haven't had a chance to mess around with it. I may just get an Eye-One Match module for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The shutter speed doubles each stop. So you would multiply it by 8 (2*2*2)

Also, thanks to you good sir. Could have googled it (tm) but this is just as easy for the lazy.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
Anyone got some tips on shooting fireworks?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

anabatica posted:

Point them away from yourself when you light them.

Stop down to f/8 or f/11, focus to infinity, set your camera to bulb exposure and use a remote to open the shutter when you see the launch, close it after everything burns out. Adjust aperture as necessary.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
^ Better specific advice right there.

anabatica posted:

Tripod, long exposure, lots of attempts, lots of frustration. Remote shutter release if you can to avoid shake. Try and frame something interesting in the foreground beyond just fireworks in the sky.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Definitely try to get something interesting other than just the fireworks, and make sure you take some test shots to figure out how long before launch you have to open the shutter to balance ambient light on anything else in the frame with the fireworks. Don't be surprised if it's a 3 or 4 stop difference just to make stuff visible.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

anabatica posted:

My number one tip would be to put the fireworks in context. Find an interesting subject or landscape and show that in your photo. If it's something close to you and not well lit (like maybe a statue or tree or something) consider flashing it with a speedite. Shots of just the sky are boring and are only good if you're into composting.

To make good shots you'll need a tripod and a remote shutter. You'll want to put your camera into mirror lock up mode to reduce vibrations. If you don't have a remote shutter you can use your countdown timer, but it'll probably screw you up a bit since fireworks are fast. For exposure go with shutter priority and aim for 1/30th of a second and slower. You'll have to experiment to see what looks good.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
Awesome, thanks guys. I do have a tripod and remote (no lighting gear though). A big issue is going to be the fact that I don't know exactly where the fireworks will be, but I can try to scout that out beforehand. If I'm lucky I can get Europe's ugliest basilica in the shots.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Figure out where the wind is coming from so you don't get all the smoke blowing at you and obscuring later fireworks :argh:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cross_ posted:

Figure out where the wind is coming from so you don't get all the smoke blowing at you and obscuring later fireworks :argh:
This is probably the best advice yet.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A couple of years ago, using my Nikon Coolpix 5200 handheld above me in the crowd.
You can do much better than this (obviously), but it's surprisingly easy to get the fireworks in frame. Also the drifting smoke can be interesting.

016 Fireworks 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

013 Mist not Fireworks by Execudork, on Flickr

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Posted this in the gear thread, but its probably better for this.

I can't figure out why when I use the wireless flash function with my 7d and 580EXII that it never exposes the flash when using ETTL. It shows just fine when I switch to manual via the camera, but whenever I try to use ETTL it simply does not show the flash at all. Even when I take a picture OF the flash theres no light.

Flash compensation is set right, and when I do a test flash I can see it go off. Any ideas?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Munkaboo posted:

Posted this in the gear thread, but its probably better for this.

I can't figure out why when I use the wireless flash function with my 7d and 580EXII that it never exposes the flash when using ETTL. It shows just fine when I switch to manual via the camera, but whenever I try to use ETTL it simply does not show the flash at all. Even when I take a picture OF the flash theres no light.

Flash compensation is set right, and when I do a test flash I can see it go off. Any ideas?

I have a similar question. I seem to be forced to shoot in manual when using my 430EX and 40D. Av and Tv automatically go to either ridiculously slow shutter speeds or open apertures respectively. Even when using FEL I can't get settings that make sense. My camera also won't meter with the flash even with FEL.

Is this normal? I know that I can get a perfectly exposed image at 1/200 f/5.6 but Av wants me to use something ridiculous like a two second shutter speed on the same shot. The flash still fires and the image is sometimes exposed correctly, but it's barely useable because of the slow shutter speed.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

tuyop posted:

I have a similar question. I seem to be forced to shoot in manual when using my 430EX and 40D. Av and Tv automatically go to either ridiculously slow shutter speeds or open apertures respectively. Even when using FEL I can't get settings that make sense. My camera also won't meter with the flash even with FEL.

Is this normal? I know that I can get a perfectly exposed image at 1/200 f/5.6 but Av wants me to use something ridiculous like a two second shutter speed on the same shot. The flash still fires and the image is sometimes exposed correctly, but it's barely useable because of the slow shutter speed.

That usually happens with TV and AV mode using flash... I always shoot manual when I have a flash on. The flash should automatically adjust through ETTL.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How are airlines about photography equipment? I'm planning a trip and will be bringing my DSLR, two lenses, strobe, a GoPro HD, and some other stuff. All will be contained within a backpack, and will be carried on.

Anyone have problems getting through airport security with any camera equipment?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've never taken lighting equipment, but cameras, lenses and tripods have never been a problem as long as they're within the allowable dimensions.

e: My tripod doesn't have spikes in the feet. That could be an issue.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Probably should go in the post-processing thread but there's a higher chance it gets seen here. When i got back from England and editing my photos through Lightroom on my grandparent's computer, I saved the photos on my external hard drive. Now all the editing presets and metadata are gone for every photo and they appear as taken straight from the computer. Can I bring back those or are they saved in the install of Lightroom on that computer?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If you didn't export jpgs to your HD after editing them, the adjustments are saved in what's called the catalog, which is usually saved somewhere on the computer it was installed on. What I do is save my catalog on the external HD where I store all of my photos. That way I always have the catalog and RAWs together and I can make edits on anyone's LR as long as I open the catalog when I open LR. Does that answer your question?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

spf3million posted:

If you didn't export jpgs to your HD after editing them, the adjustments are saved in what's called the catalog, which is usually saved somewhere on the computer it was installed on. What I do is save my catalog on the external HD where I store all of my photos. That way I always have the catalog and RAWs together and I can make edits on anyone's LR as long as I open the catalog when I open LR. Does that answer your question?

Yea mate, looks like I didn't save the catalog from THAT computer to my external HD. No worries, should be able to have another go at editing the same shots again.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Phat_Albert posted:

How are airlines about photography equipment? I'm planning a trip and will be bringing my DSLR, two lenses, strobe, a GoPro HD, and some other stuff. All will be contained within a backpack, and will be carried on.

Anyone have problems getting through airport security with any camera equipment?

Just flew with my gear (in a carry-on backpack) last week. On the way out, it caused me no problems. On the way back, they needed me to pull out all my lenses and stuff to swab them or something. The TSA guy told me that in the future I should pull all of my gear out and put it in those trays for the x-ray machine — yeah, right.

Just treat it like a normal carry-on. At worst, they'll want to look inside.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

There's a pretty interesting car show coming to my town this week.

http://www.artoftheautolifestyle.com/

Showcasing vehicles from the 50's to present, should have a ton of cool cars and motorcycles to take pics of.

Just picked up my 50D this past week and I'm going to pick up the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens this week. That should be the perfect lens for this event right? Or is there something else I should consider? I have the kit 28-135 lens that came with it, but not sure if that'd be better to use.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Phat_Albert posted:

I flew domestically a few weeks ago and they didn't give a poo poo, I asked if I was going to need to take my camera and lenses out and they said just my laptop. Obviously your mileage may vary based on the employees working, their stress levels, and the specific airport.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

There's a pretty interesting car show coming to my town this week.

http://www.artoftheautolifestyle.com/

Showcasing vehicles from the 50's to present, should have a ton of cool cars and motorcycles to take pics of.

Just picked up my 50D this past week and I'm going to pick up the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens this week. That should be the perfect lens for this event right? Or is there something else I should consider? I have the kit 28-135 lens that came with it, but not sure if that'd be better to use.

Well it depends how close to the cars you're going to be. If you're going to be like, within touching distance the 28-135 is probably too long for what you really want. If the cars are on display or something, then 135 might be a good focal length. I really don't know what the event looks like.

28 isn't THAT long, it just might not be great if you're stuck really close to a car to cut out the crowds.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Wide angles make cars look cooler. The 17-50 is a good car show lens.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Wide angles make cars look cooler. The 17-50 is a good car show lens.

Only true to some extent. I was loving around at 8mm and everything just got gash.

I like stuff shot at like 85mm with a massive aperture and small DOF.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I'm going on an Alaska cruise in June, and I was wondering what equipment I should bring along.

Here's what I have:

Canon T2i with Battery Grip
Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6

All the gear fits in a Canon 2400 bag. I'll probably take the bag with everything onto the ship with me, but I might not want to haul all that gear around when I'm on a shore excursion.

I was thinking of several ideas, and wondering if anyone else who travels with their equipment frequently has any input.

1) Light weight: Camera w/o grip, and Tamron 17-50 lens. An extra battery in my pocket.

Pro: Light, portable. Probably be a nice setup for scenery and most shots.

Con: Not having a Speedlite worries me a bit, but the pop-up flash should be sufficient for fill lighting for the standard vacation photos of people standing in front of poo poo.

Con: The 70-300 would be nice to have for birds / wildlife photography.

Con: Alaska rains 250 days out of the year. I was thinking of making do with a zip-lock bag attached to a cheap UV filter in case it rains.

2) Medium weight: Camera w/ grip and Tamron 17-50 lens. 70-300 and Speedlite in individual carrying pouches attached to my belt.

Pro: More equipment == Better than! Still don't require a bulky camera bag.

Con: Looking like a humongous dork with all the pouches on my belt.

Con: Still need something for rain-proofing the camera (zip-lock and UV filter), no shock / drop protection.

3) Bring everything! Take everything and the camera bag.

Pro: All of the above plus drop / shock protection. Rain-proof.

Con: Bulky. Running around with a camera and a bag over my shoulder doesn't sound like a fun day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it a standard glacier cruise? How much time on land are you going to get, and which parts?

As a one time resident of Alaska, I say take the whole kitchen sink. There will be mountains, and glaciers, and people, and wild animals you'll want pictures of. No single lens will be able to catch all that.

Just keep in mind that sunset will be at 11:42 on June 21.. and twilight will last for a couple hours beyond that. So you may be able to get by without lugging flashes.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
It's a 7-day Inside Passage cruise. The ports of call are Vancouver, Skagway, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan. About a day in port at each of the cities. Glacier Bay is from the ship.

Good point on the long summer daytime. Almost forgot about that!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I went to Alaska and wasn't so into photography at the time, so it was just a D80 + kit, and I agree, bring it all. I'd also recommend a tripod of some sort, maybe a gorillapod? I haven't used one but they seem pretty awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The panhandle is "softcore Alaska," so on second thought you'll definitely want the flash on hand. You won't get 24 hours of sun until well north of Anchorage. It'll certanly be more sun than you're used to, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

INTJ Mastermind posted:

1) Light weight: Camera w/o grip, and Tamron 17-50 lens. An extra battery in my pocket.

Not to nitpick because you seem really excited about your kit layouts, but why do you need the extra battery? Does the T2i have crappy battery life or something?

I just wonder because I get something like 1000 shots out of my 40D with the battery that came with the camera, and the 4gb CF card in there only holds like 300 raw images, so I never understood the need for an extra battery with an optical VF DSLR.

I'm also very picky about weight and I would say your lightweight loadout should be just the 50mm and the camera. Screw flexibility!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tuyop posted:

Well it depends how close to the cars you're going to be. If you're going to be like, within touching distance the 28-135 is probably too long for what you really want. If the cars are on display or something, then 135 might be a good focal length. I really don't know what the event looks like.

28 isn't THAT long, it just might not be great if you're stuck really close to a car to cut out the crowds.

Ya, they'll most likely be within touching distance. I was gonna sell the 28-135 this week, maybe I'll hang onto it just in case for this weekend.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Munkaboo posted:

That usually happens with TV and AV mode using flash... I always shoot manual when I have a flash on. The flash should automatically adjust through ETTL.
I've got a 40D and a Sigma 530 flash, and I've had the same issue, I just can't use Av at all. The camera goes straight retard, it acts as if the flash isn't even there, even though it knows enough to go off when I hit the shutter. I put it on manual and start at 1/200 and just a bit past wide open, 400ISO, then adjust as necessary (slower shutter speed if there's not enough ambient light, lower ISO if I can get away with it). If the flash is acting like a bitch (meaning: I'm in a situation where I don't know what I'm doing, like last week - low, dark, concrete ceilings, and windows on three sides) I'll sometimes leave the camera settings alone and go to full manual on the flash, just changing the power (1/1, 1/2, etc) on it.

The Speedliters Handbook is high on my list of wants, at the moment.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RizieN posted:

I flew domestically a few weeks ago and they didn't give a poo poo, I asked if I was going to need to take my camera and lenses out and they said just my laptop. Obviously your mileage may vary based on the employees working, their stress levels, and the specific airport.

Hopefully with the recent osama bin laden news it wont be too tough, as I'm sure the airports will be on high alert for a while

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

tuyop posted:

Av mode wants to use your flash as fill only. I.e. the shutter/ISO it picks is for a correct background exposure and then ETTL adds a touch of fill flash for the foreground. If you switch to Auto/P mode then it uses the flash as main light source. Your realistic options are to go to manual exposure mode (but leave the flash in ETTL) or go to AV and dial in -EV to get a decent shutter speed.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

jackpot posted:

The Speedliters Handbook is high on my list of wants, at the moment.

http://www.safaribooksonline.com/ has a one week trial. Books include Speedliter's Handbook as well as Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Phat_Albert posted:

Hopefully with the recent osama bin laden news it wont be too tough, as I'm sure the airports will be on high alert for a while
We have to keep security high, we haven't killed Osama yet!
We have to keep security high, we've just killed Osama!

This stuff will never, ever change.

Cross_ posted:

http://www.safaribooksonline.com/ has a one week trial. Books include Speedliter's Handbook as well as Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography.
Nice, thanks.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I picked up Speedliter's handbook last week and plowed through it. I HIGHLY recommend it to any newbie for a thorough introduction to off-camera flash.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
How Canon specific is it?

e; nvm this guy breaks it down; http://fadedandblurred.com/blog/review-speedliters-handbook/

I'll probably pick it up.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Cross_ posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by the Speedliter's Handbook since it covers a lot of ground. Syl goes over photography basics, portrait setups, light modifier reviews, Canon Speedlite usage, and closes with some detailed session reports for his location shoots. The writing style is excellent, not too corny (I am looking at you Scott Kelby) or too esoteric (hi Michael Freeman). Also the print quality is very good so you can actually see shadow details in the pictures.

Cons:
- Photos are lackluster. There are 4 or 5 great shots but overall with Syl's theoretical knowledge and a $10000 setup I would expect to see better results. Maybe the lack of post-processing is hurting it.
- a lot of pages spent on gear reviews. It's up-to-date for 2011 but in three years it will be outdated
- a bit too much detail on how to set up Speedlites via LCD- it's really not rocket science