Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
He was actually a really nice guy and genuinely concerned/interested.

10-8 posted:

I got into an argument at a med school happy hour last year when some Ron Paul-loving med student tried to tell me that there was no need for any health care reform because "supply and demand" would take care of the situation, and that he was eminently qualified to comment on the matter because he was a health care professional.

He didn't like it when I told him that as a soon-to-be doctor, he was to the health care market as a mechanic is to the automotive market, and that there's a reason I don't ask the guy who changes my oil for his thoughts on how to save GM.

However, most med students seem to fall into this category: the epitome of 'gently caress you, got mine.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

as a med student i can confirm that most med students are, in fact, shite

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Der Meister posted:

Law students suck just as bad, but at least we have the dignity to not put things like this on facebook: "Didn't give a crap about GI phys, and my heart really wasn't in CV, luckily respiratory is here to take my breath away."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

no they don't

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

evilweasel posted:

no they don't

Exactly.
Have we all forgotten about 1L legal jokes so quickly?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Der Meister posted:

I'd say only between 25-50% of us are shite.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

nm posted:

Exactly.
Have we all forgotten about 1L legal jokes so quickly?

Yeah, but most of those jokes have estopped by the time we're 2Ls.

Kissy Suzuki
Mar 27, 2011

No honeymoon. This is business.

Lilosh posted:

Yeah, but most of those jokes have estopped by the time we're 2Ls.
I hate so much about the things that you choose to be

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

I'd say only between 25-50% of us are shite.

maybe my school's an exception then but i doubt it...

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
The only difference between doctors and lawyers is that lawyers know they aren't doctors.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I talked to my neighbor across the street and he informed me that University of GA law school has a 97% employment rate and the average starting salary is $130,000 what are you guys all doing wrong?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Roger_Mudd posted:

The only difference between doctors and lawyers is that lawyers know they aren't doctors.
Juris Doctor :smug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Roger_Mudd posted:

Tell that to the law student I saw who swore she needed antibiotics for her stuffy nose of 2 days.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

10-8 posted:

I got into an argument at a med school happy hour last year when some Ron Paul-loving med student tried to tell me that there was no need for any health care reform because "supply and demand" would take care of the situation, and that he was eminently qualified to comment on the matter because he was a health care professional.

He didn't like it when I told him that as a soon-to-be doctor, he was to the health care market as a mechanic is to the automotive market, and that there's a reason I don't ask the guy who changes my oil for his thoughts on how to save GM.

Hahahaha oh poo poo. That's great.

I got into a fight with a chiropractor once over the Anna Nicole Smith vaccination bullshit on facebook. He sincerely believed that vaccines could cause autism. He got high and mighty and declared I had no right to even be discussing the subject with him, as I had no medical training.

"Well, it looks pretty even from here. I don't have an M.D. and you don't either."

Blocked.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Osama bin Laden is shot in the head and I get a job. This has been a good weekend.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

JudicialRestraints posted:

Osama bin Laden is shot in the head and I get a job. This has been a good weekend.

You've taken over Al Qaeda?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

It's just too bad you got HIS job...

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Alaemon posted:

It's just too bad you got HIS job...

I'm doing state tax enforcement so I'm almost as anti-american.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

CaptainScraps posted:

Tell him that so long as people like him are going to med school, there will always be jobs for lawyers.

"I wasn't asking if there are jobs for lawyers. There will always be jobs for lawyers, dumbass. The market is just oversaturated. And even if I get sued I'm still rich, loser."

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Pretty sure OBL's death means I don't have to study for my last exam. Confirm/Deny?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

MoFauxHawk posted:

"I wasn't asking if there are jobs for lawyers. There will always be jobs for lawyers, dumbass. The market is just oversaturated. And even if I get sued I'm still rich, loser."

"And so long as I am treating lawyers, there will always be morticians."

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I was up late watching the announcement, burned the seasoning right off my cast iron pan while attempting to make popcorn for the occasion, and had a 9 a.m. final this morning, but it's all okay because I'm doing a weekly comic for Bitter Lawyer now. I hope you'll check in even when I run out of ideas and all my comics are about a furry lawyer and a sarcastic gamer lawyer who sit on a couch and crib jokes from old Arsenio Hall routines

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

quote:

Albert Wang is a rising 3L at Harvard Law School, because he was too risk-averse for art school.

quote:

Albert Wang is a rising 3L at Harvard Law School, because he was too risk-averse for art school.

quote:

Wang is a rising

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Can someone explain this article to me? How does "De-equitization change the game?" What is De-equitization?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/inside-straight-how-de-equitizing-partners-can-undermine-a-business-model/#more-70077

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

BigHead posted:

Can someone explain this article to me? How does "De-equitization change the game?" What is De-equitization?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/inside-straight-how-de-equitizing-partners-can-undermine-a-business-model/#more-70077
It's just an awful article.

De-equitization refers to shifting a partner from equity to income.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red Bean Juice posted:

I was up late watching the announcement, burned the seasoning right off my cast iron pan while attempting to make popcorn for the occasion, and had a 9 a.m. final this morning, but it's all okay because I'm doing a weekly comic for Bitter Lawyer now. I hope you'll check in even when I run out of ideas and all my comics are about a furry lawyer and a sarcastic gamer lawyer who sit on a couch and crib jokes from old Arsenio Hall routines

quote:

I’ve been drawing for as long as most people, only I didn’t have the sense to quit around middle school. My work has been featured in the Dudley Review, the Harvard Law Record, the plays of the HLS Drama Society, my mom’s fridge, and several cocktail napkins near you. Sometimes, in interviews, I casually mention that I’m published in the HLR, and then quickly change the subject before the interviewer can ask which HLR I mean.

No mention of publication in the revered annals of the Something Awful Lawgoon Megathread?! What is this bullshit? We supported you! We loved you! We fed you with the clothes off our backs!

Congrats though, that's great.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Incitatus posted:

I look forward to taking my first case to appellate court so my Facebook status can be "Albert Wang is up on appeal"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Incitatus posted:

And they say lawyers are mature. Wait, no they don't.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

BigHead posted:

There's equity partners and non-equity partners. Equity partners own a stake in the firm (like what you traditionally think of when you think of a "partner") while non-equity partners are more like traditional salaried employees. My understanding is that firms in recent years have tended to create more (compared to previous times) non-equity partners and fewer equity partners.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Incitatus posted:

Harvard Law is always gonna be a better bet than art school.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Red Bean Juice posted:

I look forward to taking my first case to appellate court so my Facebook status can be "Albert Wang is up on appeal"

A bit off topic, do you have any experience with on campus housing at HLS? I just got a waitlist number and I'm wondering if I'll manage to get into Gropius.

Petey might know about this too!

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

evilweasel posted:

Harvard Law is always gonna be a better bet than art school.

Oh I know. I was making a bad erection joke.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oops, maybe that's a bad sign for my exam tommorow

oh well, back to videogames

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

A bit off topic, do you have any experience with on campus housing at HLS? I just got a waitlist number and I'm wondering if I'll manage to get into Gropius.

Petey might know about this too!

I don't know anyone who had a problem getting in as an incoming 1L. That said, this year might be a little dicey because the academic calendar was pushed up, but the summer rental schedule was not--resulting in, e.g. a block of my hall being straight-up unavailable for the lottery.

Gropius is a nice enough place for 1L year, even if you won't see much of it due to being in the library all the time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I'm doing state tax enforcement so I'm almost as anti-american.
Don't tell Scott Walker!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Remember back in the first half of Con Law when you had to read all those stupid milk cases to learn about the Commerce Clause? They're suddenly relevant again!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/28/feds-sting-amish-farmer-selling-raw-milk-locally/

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Alaemon posted:

Remember back in the first half of Con Law when you had to read all those stupid milk cases to learn about the Commerce Clause? They're suddenly relevant again!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/28/feds-sting-amish-farmer-selling-raw-milk-locally/
Want to know if this will impact raw milk cheese.
Raw milk to drink is dumb. Raw milk cheese is delicious.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Are there any econ people here? Need help developing an idea that's going into a comment - I met with an econ prof here and it kinda blew his hair back so I might be on to something. Specifically looking for people who are well read in tournament theory and labor market externalities.

Hippokleides
Mar 20, 2011

by Ozma

MoFauxHawk posted:

This is literally the best place you can have him. Your next move should be to smile weakly because you pity him, and then say something like "how terribly low class..." At some point you need to explain in a really dismissive manner that even catamites make money.

If he persists, just start asking him how much it would cost for him to do various grotesque and shameful acts. At some point he'll be so covered in poo poo that he'll see the light or give up.

Edit: wow my phone chose the wrong way to auto complete a word

Hippokleides fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I made a client cry today. It was awesome.