Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Akarshi posted:

If someone could recommend me a good horror novel/short story collection, it'd be much appreciated. I've never really read horror before and I figured I might as well get into it, since I'm in the mood to be scared.

Books that are horror-ish that I've read are:
Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
It by Stephen King
Horns by Joe Hill
My Work is Not Yet Done and Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti
Pretty much every Edgar Allen Poe story
Some Lovecraft short stories...whatever's in the Penguin compilation, I've read.

Simon Strantzas, Richard Gavin, and Ian Rogers are very good horror writers. Here's a sampling of each.

Mark Samuels is probably the best weird fiction writer active today. His first collection is available from the publisher and his latest is available at Amazon.

Laird Barron is great if you like short stories that completely gently caress with your mind.

If you're looking to get a sampling of the best in the genre, you can't go wrong with Ellen Datlow and Stephen Jones' annual anthologies (Best Horror of the Year and Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, respectively).

If you liked Horns, you can check out Joe Hill's short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts. Personally, I think he takes after his father and is a much stronger short fiction writer than novelist.

Caitlin Kiernan write exceptional atmospheric horror.

If you liked Lovecraft, you should check out the works of several of his contemporaries and predecessors: Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Robert Chambers, Arthur Machen, Ambrose Bierce, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005
Going to try this one more time -

Anyone have any recommendations for something along the same vein as The Devil's teeth or The Wave by Susan Casey?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've had a really unusual (for me) reading experience lately, and I'm wondering if there are any other authors out there I could read who pull the same trick.

Normally I read a lot of sci/fi and fantasy, just like everyone else on this forum, but I'd been branching out and a reading various noir-themed mystery novels, and that's when I ran into the phenomenon I'm asking about.

It first hit with the Nero Wolfe books -- there are about forty of them, written over a span of forty-odd years from the 30's to the 70's, and they're all set in the New York city of [year published]. So reading them is a really interesting historical experience -- you start out reading something that's very definitely set in 30's New York, and then you progress through the middle part of the American Century as you progress through the series.

I thought it was sort of a one-off effect but I ran into it again over the past couple weeks as I've been reading John D. McDonald's old Travis McGee series. The titular McGee is a "salvage expert" who lives on a houseboat in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (when someone steals your poo poo but the law can't get it back for you, you go to him, he salvages what he can, for a cut). They're, similarly, set in and around Florida in [year of publication], which ends up being the 60's and 70's and early 80's, and again, reading them, there's a very strong sense of place and time, of reading fiction set in a particular era. And since it's now fifty-odd years on from 1960's Florida, reading them has the feel of reading historical fiction.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations for fiction like that? Stuff that was written with a strongly detailed, contemporary setting, that's become "historical fiction" simpy due to the passage of time? It's a really interesting thing to come across, at least for me as a reader, and I'd like more of it if there's anything else out there that does it.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'm looking for books that tell a story via a series of related short stories, like Dan Simmons' Hyperion. Genre isn't that important. I'm also looking for horror/suspense novels dealing with areas of extreme isolation (something set in Antarctica would be great).

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've had a really unusual (for me) reading experience lately, and I'm wondering if there are any other authors out there I could read who pull the same trick.

Normally I read a lot of sci/fi and fantasy, just like everyone else on this forum, but I'd been branching out and a reading various noir-themed mystery novels, and that's when I ran into the phenomenon I'm asking about.

It first hit with the Nero Wolfe books -- there are about forty of them, written over a span of forty-odd years from the 30's to the 70's, and they're all set in the New York city of [year published]. So reading them is a really interesting historical experience -- you start out reading something that's very definitely set in 30's New York, and then you progress through the middle part of the American Century as you progress through the series.

I thought it was sort of a one-off effect but I ran into it again over the past couple weeks as I've been reading John D. McDonald's old Travis McGee series. The titular McGee is a "salvage expert" who lives on a houseboat in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (when someone steals your poo poo but the law can't get it back for you, you go to him, he salvages what he can, for a cut). They're, similarly, set in and around Florida in [year of publication], which ends up being the 60's and 70's and early 80's, and again, reading them, there's a very strong sense of place and time, of reading fiction set in a particular era. And since it's now fifty-odd years on from 1960's Florida, reading them has the feel of reading historical fiction.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations for fiction like that? Stuff that was written with a strongly detailed, contemporary setting, that's become "historical fiction" simpy due to the passage of time? It's a really interesting thing to come across, at least for me as a reader, and I'd like more of it if there's anything else out there that does it.

It might be an obvious choice, but have you tried the Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot novels and stories? Along the same line, though more recent, are the Andrew Vachhs 'Burke' novels, which have a pretty strong 80s flavor (when the series begins) and continues through the 90s and into the present day.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My mom's going on vacation in a few weeks, could anyone recommend her a good beach book? She mostly reads Mary Higgens Clark, Danielle Steele, etc but I think she's getting bored of them.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Traxis posted:

I'm looking for books that tell a story via a series of related short stories, like Dan Simmons' Hyperion. Genre isn't that important. I'm also looking for horror/suspense novels dealing with areas of extreme isolation (something set in Antarctica would be great).

For the first request, I'll go with the low-hanging (but incredibly tasty) fruit- Ray Bradbury. The Martian Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, and, to a lesser extent, The Illustrated Man are all of that format. For the second request, and I think this came up fairly recently, Dan Simmons' The Terror, which is based on a true story of Arctic exploration gone wrong. The only other thing that springs to mind is 30 Days of Night, which is a graphic novel, although I'm sure there are tons of apocalyptic-type stories that deal with the theme, too.

Toebone posted:

My mom's going on vacation in a few weeks, could anyone recommend her a good beach book? She mostly reads Mary Higgens Clark, Danielle Steele, etc but I think she's getting bored of them.

Maybe some Deanna Raybourn- Victorian mysteries with some nice historical detail and romance, but not the terribly frothy kind that the covers suggest. She's pretty funny, too. Alexander McCall Smith also seems to be popular with the same customers that go for Mary Higgins Clark.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 25, 2011

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Traxis posted:

An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears is a murder mystery set in 16th-century England and examines the central murder from the viewpoints of 4 or so main characters telling their stories in succession, leaving the reader to piece together the truth from their ultimately unreliable viewpoints.

The Terror by Dan Simmons would definitely fit the bill for your second request (fictionalized account of the failed Franklin Expedition to map the Northwest Passage in the 1800s with a fair bit of horror thrown in). Not the best thing Simmons has ever done but a decent read if you can stick with it.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
I'm interested in military non-fiction, specifically dealing with unconventional warfare and special forces groups. Really any small, highly trained military group (like Green Berets, snipers, etc.) that can affect a combat situation in an unconventional way is of interest to me. I'm also looking for good books on military strategy, both large-scale (tactics of the most successful military leaders) and small-scale.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to put together a nice big reading list so feel free to suggest anything that's good even if it's only slightly related.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

DrGonzo90 posted:

I'm interested in military non-fiction, specifically dealing with unconventional warfare and special forces groups. Really any small, highly trained military group (like Green Berets, snipers, etc.) that can affect a combat situation in an unconventional way is of interest to me. I'm also looking for good books on military strategy, both large-scale (tactics of the most successful military leaders) and small-scale.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to put together a nice big reading list so feel free to suggest anything that's good even if it's only slightly related.

Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko. There's a whole series of books under the "Rogue Warrior" name that are fictional but the original book simply titled Rogue Warrior is Marcinko's autobiography that focuses mainly on his career with the Navy SEALs in Vietnam and afterwards.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DrGonzo90 posted:

As far as special forces go, have you read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell? It's really good, one of the best military memoirs in my opinion. It's about the SEALs mission to capture a Taliban bomb-maker that goes horribly awry and ends with the largest loss of life in SEAL history, written by the only survivor of the first SEAL team to go in. Roughneck Nine-One by Frank Antenori and Hans Halberstadt is good too. It's about Army special forces and their Kurdish allies fighting off an Iraqi armored task force in the early days of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Simon Strantzas, Richard Gavin, and Ian Rogers are very good horror writers. Here's a sampling of each.

Mark Samuels is probably the best weird fiction writer active today. His first collection is available from the publisher and his latest is available at Amazon.

Laird Barron is great if you like short stories that completely gently caress with your mind.

If you're looking to get a sampling of the best in the genre, you can't go wrong with Ellen Datlow and Stephen Jones' annual anthologies (Best Horror of the Year and Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, respectively).

If you liked Horns, you can check out Joe Hill's short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts. Personally, I think he takes after his father and is a much stronger short fiction writer than novelist.

Caitlin Kiernan write exceptional atmospheric horror.

If you liked Lovecraft, you should check out the works of several of his contemporaries and predecessors: Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Robert Chambers, Arthur Machen, Ambrose Bierce, and so on.
Thanks man, I placed an order for 20th Century Ghosts and Stephen Jones' horror anthology. I'll check out all the other books when I finish with these two, thanks for all the recs! These'll keep me busy for a long time.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2016

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I just recently finished Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey, and I've been looking at his Thursday series but I'd like something similar to SoG - a post-apocalyptic world that's been post-apocalyptic for a pretty long time now.

Not remotely similar, but I also really liked Michel Houellebecq's Elementary Particles, and something similar to that would be nice.

Even more distantly related, but something near in concept to the Percy Jackson books would be radical. I really enjoy growing-up-with-the-character books (like Harry Potter) but I'd like to avoid school settings if at all possible.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I'm in the mood for a story in which people are put into strange life-or-death survival situations, primarily pitted against each other in a remote or unfamiliar location, possibly for the amusement of a third party.

I have of course read The Most Dangerous Game and absolutely loved it. I also read Battle Royale and thought it was a squandered opportunity, but maybe I read a bad translation.

Thanks in advance!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

I'm in the mood for a story in which people are put into strange life-or-death survival situations, primarily pitted against each other in a remote or unfamiliar location, possibly for the amusement of a third party.

I have of course read The Most Dangerous Game and absolutely loved it. I also read Battle Royale and thought it was a squandered opportunity, but maybe I read a bad translation.

Thanks in advance!
They're pretty popular so I'm almost hesitant to ask, but have you read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins yet? It's a lot like Battle Royale, though I honestly prefer the Games.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I would like to read an interesting memoir that isn't ghost-written or co-written. Any ideas?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

They're pretty popular so I'm almost hesitant to ask, but have you read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins yet? It's a lot like Battle Royale, though I honestly prefer the Games.

I don't read as much as I should, so no, I haven't heard of it. Sounds great, though! Ordering it from the library now. Thanks!

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Mung Dynasty posted:

You might want to take a look at Eye in the Sky by Philip K. Dick.

And, actually, a number of his novels might be of interest, but I think Eye is probably the one that most directly meets your criteria.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

who cares posted:

I would like to read an interesting memoir that isn't ghost-written or co-written. Any ideas?

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

Edit: Actually, wait, nevermind, that one was co-written, though Feynman's voice is very clear -- Feynman spoke into tapes which the writer basically just set down.

Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes. Also, All Creatures Great and Small, although that's lightly fictionalized (in the sense that you might fictionalize a story you were telling in a pub).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 1, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

I don't read as much as I should, so no, I haven't heard of it. Sounds great, though! Ordering it from the library now. Thanks!
No problem, I hope you enjoy it! The whole series is great, but I love the first one especially.

who cares posted:

If you like Bruce Campbell, his If Chins Could Kill is hilarious and exactly the kind of quirky, off-beat book you'd expect from him. I haven't sat down and seriously read it yet, but I've read a few chapters and they were great.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

who cares posted:

Brent Runyon's The Burn Journals- I actually worked with him one summer in high school (he's a super nice dude) and wondered how he was burned so badly. Years later this book was published and it turns out he tried to kill himself by soaking his bathrobe in gasoline and setting it on fire. Well-written and sometimes uncomfortably honest, but certainly very interesting. This might pair nicely with Jay Varner's Nothing Left to Burn, which describes his growing up in a small town with a terrible, pyromaniac grandfather and firefighting-obsessed dad.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

who cares posted:

If you want to try something a little different, I'd recommend Dave Eggers' A Heartbreaking work of staggering genius. It's funny and sad (it's mostly about him taking care of his younger brother after his parents die) and it's an engaging read, even if it's a little quirky at times.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

who cares posted:

I highly recommend Down and out in Paris and London by George Orwell. It takes place during Orwell's piss-poor youth when he has to accept any lovely job he can get (in Paris this is mostly restaurant scullery-type work) and details the day to day hustle of he and his Russian roommate in simply getting enough pennies to get something to eat. It also was famous for exposing the nasty, filthy conditions of the kitchens of Europe's most famous restaurants and hotels. A great read and one of my faves.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
When I was in elementary through high school, I really hated reading. I read tons on my own spare time, but I hated reading for assignments because it seemed like the books that were assigned were the most boring books ever and I just wasn't interested. I really don't think I even finished reading a single book in my AP English class senior year but managed to ace the class through a combination of skimming through the books, reading Sparknotes, and having friends explain everything to me. The essays we had to write were pretty open ended for interpretation so based on what I knew I just picked something and wrote my heart out and it was good enough for the teacher.

This is kind of general, but what would you say were the must read books that you had to read in school? I'm older now and not a rebellious poo poo so I'd like to catch up with the things I missed, especially since now I have a Kindle so I'm assuming most of these books are on Gutenberg. They're free so I have no reason not to get them.

To give you an idea, I never even read To Kill a Mockingbird or Tom Sawyer. I have no idea how I didn't read Mockingbird because it seems like we read it every single year starting in 6th grade, but yep, I somehow got through high school without ever reading it. These two books seem like a great place to start.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Huck Finn is a deeper book that Tom Sawyer, but yeah, it won't hurt anything to read Tom Sawyer first. I think you're right that To Kill a Mockingbird is a perfect place to start.

There are, unfortunately, some books you just missed -- if you don't read Catcher in the Rye when you're an angsty teenager it sucks, because it does such a good job of portraying an angsty teenager that, goddam, you hate it if you aren't an angsty teen (if you are, it's life changing!!!111!!).

Catch-22? Faulkner's Go Down, Moses collection? Tom Stoppard's Arcadia? Camus' The Plague?

Read Dickens. Specifically, read David Copperfield.

Also, Chaucer. Get an annotated edition with a pronunciation guide and read the Miller's Tale in the original.

James Joyce's Dubliners.

Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
I would like some sci-fi either written by women, or with female protagonists.

Also I am soon going to be reading books to old people at a nursing home and I'd like recommendations for good stuff there. If it's an all-female group I'm going with Victoria Holt, but I don't know how well that would be received by the men. I'm thinking maybe Westerns but I don't really know the genre.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

books

Thanks for the suggestions. I had no idea Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer were two different books (looking it up it appears the one everybody reads in school is Huck Finn?) and fortunately I am not an angsty teen that nobody understands anymore but I'll give Catcher in the Rye a chance.

Now that you mention Chaucer though, I remember reading some of his stories in that AP English class. It's probably the only thing I ever read and I think it was because the English was just so weird and old (I have a thing for languages).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StealthStealth posted:

Also I am soon going to be reading books to old people at a nursing home and I'd like recommendations for good stuff there. If it's an all-female group I'm going with Victoria Holt, but I don't know how well that would be received by the men. I'm thinking maybe Westerns but I don't really know the genre.

For sci-fi by women look up Ursula K. LeGuin.

For westerns, classics are The Virginian and Shane.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

StealthStealth posted:

Look for the series about Miles Vorkosigan by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Ziir posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I had no idea Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer were two different books (looking it up it appears the one everybody reads in school is Huck Finn?) and fortunately I am not an angsty teen that nobody understands anymore but I'll give Catcher in the Rye a chance.

Now that you mention Chaucer though, I remember reading some of his stories in that AP English class. It's probably the only thing I ever read and I think it was because the English was just so weird and old (I have a thing for languages).

1984, Lord of the Flies and Farenheit 451 are all books I skipped the first time around and loved upon revisiting later.

dream owl
Jul 19, 2010

StealthStealth posted:

Ursula Le Guin, Octavia Butler, Anne McCaffrey, Madeleine L'Engle

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
This is a long shot, but does anyone have any suggestions about where to start with the books of Iris Murdoch? Preferably not a book whose main plot is focused on a love triangle or more? I've already tried and given up on The Unicorn, so not that. :v:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 22, 2016

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My favorites from high school were:
The Count of Monte Cristo (we read the abridged version, though, I'd imagine the unabridged would be better for someone not reading for class)
Dante's Inferno
The Iliad (The Odyssey was good, too, but I preferred Iliad)
And for more modern stuff:
All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy, which I read in the same position as you: didn't read it when we were assigned it (I was put off by his unconventional style), came back to it later, loved it.
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.

Those were good ones that I think you might like now.

edited for legibility

edit2: VVVV Yeah, that was another good one. I had the option to read that or another book that turned out lovely and I made the wrong choice but read Life of Pi on my own later and it was good. VVVV

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 4, 2011

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
drat, you guys read a lot more than I did in high school. I only remember being assigned Shakespeare, Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies (and there, we just watched the movie).

Being assigned it is probably a Canadian high school thing, but Yann Martel's Life of Pi was one I really enjoyed.

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

StealthStealth posted:

Connie Willis writes some sci-fi and futuristic fiction (I especially liked Passage, though she's more known for The Doomsday Book). Also Pat Cadigan, though I've only read Tea From an Empty Cup from her.

For female protagonists, I can think of Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, Pattern Recognition by William Gibson, and Starfish by Peter Watts, off the top of my head. All good, strong wimmens. :D If you need more titles, let me know. I'm sure I've got more...

As for the old folks, the gents may like spy novels, particularly from people like John le Carre (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) or Louis L'Amour (Last of the Breed). As for the ladies, maybe some Victorian mysteries from Anne Perry. I'm thinking along the lines of her Charlotte & Thomas Pitt novels.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

who cares posted:

Night of the Gun by David Carr. Here's a NYT review: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/books/review/Handy-t.html

If you have no interest in drugs maybe it's not for you, but it is the most interesting memoir I have ever read. It's a memoir written in the age of James Frey. Carr is a journalist and what he does is approach his life as if he was writing a story about someone else. He researches his own life, interviews the people involved, and constantly questions his own memory. It is in a sense a memoir that explores the act of writing a memoir. Plus there's drugs.

Edit: I can't leave this one alone as I read a lot of non-fiction.

I'll second Down and Out by Orwell and Heartbreaking Work. Both classics. In the same vein as If Chins Could Kill, I would recommend Born Standing Up by Steve Martin.

One other memoir that I love is Confessions of a Dangerous Mind by Chuck Barris. Not everyone loves it I know, but again, in an age where memoirs are plagued by accusations of falsehood, this one is probably false and thats sort of the point. It destroys the line between fact and fiction in the same way that Hunter Thompson did.

Last (for now) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby. It's amazing.

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 4, 2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002

StealthStealth posted:

Check out Jack McDevitt's stuff, like Devil'ls Eye, Cauldron, A Talent For War. All the stuff that stars Alex seems to spend more time talking about his female employee Chase Kolpath, who is the more interesting characte. It's kind of like scifi Indiana Jones, but more mystery and less action.

Now for my request. I read The Man Eaters of Kumoan, and it was awesome because its real, but its crazier than most fiction books. So I'm asking for books about crazy real poo poo, but not adventure or mountaineering stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
A while back I read "The Stranger", by Albert Camus. Can anybody recommend a book with similar themes (i.e existentialism; absurdism; realism/starkness), would like it if it wasn't all depressive story-telling. Short books (<200pg's), and with a clear and concise writing style. Nothing too flashy or wordy. I need to get back in the swing of reading books, but I'm just so put off by tomes of sci-fi or fantasy. I just want a good flowing book that tugs at my emotions. It would be even better if it could be based in reality or with a historical backdrop- in fact, that's exactly what I would like.