Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
I must admit I watched about half of the come dance with me/so you think you can dance program on bbc1 last saterday. Now ostensibly I was only doing it as didn't have anything better to do wanted to look at barely dressed cute chicks, however I discovered a much better way to watch the program. Basically you try to guess which of male dancers isn't a blatant flaming homosexual before he talks. Its amazing, before I got sick of myself for watching it there was one guy who didn't have the affects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Graviton v2 posted:

I must admit I watched about half of the come dance with me/so you think you can dance program on bbc1 last saterday. Now ostensibly I was only doing it as didn't have anything better to do wanted to look at barely dressed cute chicks, however I discovered a much better way to watch the program. Basically you try to guess which of male dancers isn't a blatant flaming homosexual before he talks. Its amazing, before I got sick of myself for watching it there was one guy who didn't have the affects.

Ignoring the really creepy homophobia here, I think you can feel comfortable watching So You Think You Can Dance. It's not like the usual reality TV where the haul out the dregs just to mock them, these people actually have talent. They genuinely CAN dance, and they're good. I was in stitches all through the ballet dancer's Japanese-style-hip-hop last wee.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

So what exactly is going on with Don't Scare the Hare - all I saw was someone pulling a lever, some kind of explosions and a giant robotic hare spinning around and everyone yelling...! Are they all on drugs nowadays?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

thehustler posted:

This is a perfect post that anybody between the ages of about 25-40 could agree with. Things were so much more fun then, lighthearted entertainment to watch with the family. These days it's all too engineered, and the celebrity culture has ruined everything, with its aspirations and fakeness.

I'm 21, just barely old enough to remember The Generation Game and the like, and even I agree with that post. Lately it's like, as soon as one talent show/singing contest thing ends another begins, with good odds it will feature either Simon Cowell, a man slowly being devoured by the waistline of his trousers, or Andrew Lloyd Webber, alias Baron Greenback, as my dad calls him.

At least we have The Hoff now?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

trouser_mouse posted:

So what exactly is going on with Don't Scare the Hare - all I saw was someone pulling a lever, some kind of explosions and a giant robotic hare spinning around and everyone yelling...! Are they all on drugs nowadays?

Half of us think it is some sort of social experiment or long winded joke, the other half think it is just insane cheaply made and planned bollocks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure they've handed Saturday night over to the CBBC team as a cost savings measure.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ignoring the really creepy homophobia here, I think you can feel comfortable watching So You Think You Can Dance. It's not like the usual reality TV where the haul out the dregs just to mock them, these people actually have talent. They genuinely CAN dance, and they're good. I was in stitches all through the ballet dancer's Japanese-style-hip-hop last wee.
Oh gently caress off with your PC, how can one not notice how flaming these dudes are?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Graviton v2 posted:

Oh gently caress off with your PC, how can one not notice how flaming these dudes are?

I think the point is that nobody actually gives a gently caress

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

DaWolfey posted:

I think the point is that nobody actually gives a gently caress
Oh yeah ok no one else but me on the planet finds it slightly amusing when some cut 6'4'' dude goes 'hi girls' in an fem accent?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's PC gone mad, you can't even mock people for being gay anymore.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Graviton v2 posted:

Wow.

Although the dramatic build ups and "nail biting" tension really irritate me (I even started watching Masterchef last year at double speed), the thing that really gets to me is the manipulation of naive/stupid people on X-Factor style shows.

I understand that people put themselves up, so they only have themselves to blame - and if they got through, they'd get all of the applause - but at the same time, there are so many levels of manipulation to the show, just so that the audience can laugh hysterically at someone having a mental breakdown.

You're daft enough to apply for a show when you can barely sing, and for some reason, your family are deluded enough to believe that you can sing too (whereas my family would be sensible enough to pull me to one side and point out that I couldn't!). You go to the auditions and a producer puts you through. At this point, as you're convinced that you can sing, the thought that you're being put through to be laughed at doesn't even enter your head.

You get through, and then you're laughed at by all of the judges. You're convinced that it's some sort of mistake and the production team encourages you and your entourage to go and beg the judges to be put through. Cue mass hysteria, and you're still thrown out of the show, whilst the judges shake their heads sadly, and the audience is wetting themselves at just how ridiculous you are.

It's just seems pointlessly cruel, particularly when it's obvious that someone's not quite the full shilling. And that's the bit of the show everyone proudly says that they watch. "Yeah, it's boring when the talented singers are competing; I only watch the hilarious auditions." :britain:

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

Testro posted:

Wow.

Although the dramatic build ups and "nail biting" tension really irritate me (I even started watching Masterchef last year at double speed)

Who want to be a millionaire was the first time I remember this, (i'm 21, so i guess there might be an obvious first show that did this for older people), but I swear I remember a really knowing 'ohoh look how silly it is to stretch out the answer like this' that the show has. The loving ridiculousness of it seems to go over a lot of people's heads these days.

edit> Also, I only saw the last moments of the Masterchef final, the three people presenting there meals, but it seemed quite nice really, moved along fairly rapidly, everyone had nice things said about them, the word beautiful was mentioned roughly one million times.

ScipioAfro fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 1, 2011

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Graviton v2 posted:

Any man who's a bit camp is gay; all gay men are camp as a row of tents. Let's get together and mock them.

gently caress off you dick

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ScipioAfro posted:

Who want to be a millionaire was the first time I remember this, (i'm 21, so i guess there might be an obvious first show that did this for older people), but I swear I remember a really knowing 'ohoh look how silly it is to stretch out the answer like this' that the show has. The loving ridiculousness of it seems to go over a lot of people's heads these days.

Yes, definitely. WWTBAM set up the whole phoney atmosphere, but then they at least sped through the first round of questions to get to the ones that warranted a bit of tension. The audience and contestants would laugh when Tarrant gave a long pause and then said "we'll find out after the break! v :) v".

Now you have enormous close-ups of the contestants and their family weeping a little, it's scored like the end of the world, and then after a while someone whispers "we'll find out after the break... :ohdear:" and everyone literally shrieks like they're dying. What is wrong with these people.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I don't even understand why the judges are judges really. At least on masterchef they know about food. On Britain's Best Singer shows they have a bunch of dicks with face-lifts pause for minutes before saying anything and then when they do it's nothing interesting or relevant.

I want to know when Sherlock and Luther are back on. I read something about it being in summer but, doesn't look like it at the moment.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Went to see Stewart Lee perform this in Cheltenham yesterday. It was an...odd night.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
So with all the Don't Scare The Hare talk, I watched an episode of it on the iplayer and my oh my.

So the Hare is easily frightened by loud noises and the contestants are trying to complete various tasks - presumably at the Hares whim - in order for them to receive carrots from the Hare. I assume these are valuable so they can be sold to make up the cash prize at the end. So the objective is - please the Hare by completing its tasks, get carrots from the Hare, receive money.

Then - subterfuge! They play a game where the contestants dress as thieves and steal the Hares carrots from its garden while it watches. The audacity! The brevity! They have to remain quiet or the Hare gets scared and flees and they don't want that for some reason. They've been trying to acquire carrots by any means necessary and up to this point they've only been able to do it by legitimate means, but that's all changed.

In the final game the true motivations of the contestants are revealed. The Hare, betrayed by the thieves naturally wants its carrots back and the show takes a sinister turn: It's not the carrots that are the prize, they were a distraction and were never valuable, no, it's the Hare itself! Considering it's a fairly sleek looking robot whose roboty nature had been ignored it shouldn't really come as much of a surprise that it would be important eventually. Perhaps it has been granted sentience by God (aka the mysterious "Voice of the Forest" as played by Sue Perkins) and the contestants, realising its value, want to capture and sell it to Cyberdyne systems. Taking the carrots was just a way of getting the Hare where they needed it - inside a pen, trapped under a net with its own carrots used a lure. The poor Hare, confused, pays its own ransom to be released and the whole cycle begins again next week as the hipster version of Richard O'Brian from The Crystal Maze, instrumental in his friends betrayal walks away with the naive Hare who never realises who it is who keeps tipping people off to the location of his secret giant carrot garden.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
DaWolfey, that was the best thing I've seen in weeks.

I was in Ikea today as well, so you cleared a fairly high bar there!

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

I'm watching Don't Scare the Hare on iPlayer right now. DaWolfey's already summed most of it up, so instead I'll just say that this show is loving weird and I never want to see it again.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now explain why it's an allegory for class struggle in Bolshevik Russia.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

They should move pointless to saturday night before who. What a night of TV.

edit: the hare is the working classes and the contestants attempts to complete the tasks without scaring it mirrors the capitalist attempts to exploit the proletariat while using the welfare system to just stop short of revolution. In becoming scared, the hare breaks free of it's shackles and no longer allows itself to be exploited.

Algol Star fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 1, 2011

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
I have noticed people complaining about Saturday night TV but has anyone been watching the one gem BBC4 is putting out that evening, French police/justice system/crime drama Spiral (aka Engrenages)? Series 3 has been airing and should be all up on iPlayer right now and I am wondering if anyone else has been following it. There were some fantastic juicy pre-finale twists last night.

If you don't know the show, it's tempting but not entirely honest to call it a French Wire; there's definitely the same cynical focus on the inadequacy of public institutions versus the brutal reality of street crime and high-end corruption, but there's a pastiche of every format of cop show in there somewhere. Still, it's gritty, noirish and very, very French. There is Judge Roban, the wiry, uptight, moral-crusadin' walking anachronism from France's bizarre inquisitorial-judge system (they get to do their own investigations), and Josephine Karlsson, the utterly amoral redhead defence lawyer who is nonetheless admired by all the male cast (and me) because of how impressively ruthless and smokin' hot she is.

But best of all is Inspector Laure Berthard, the farcically determined, emotionally needy borderline sexual predator with serious anger management issues who is also our protagonist and heroine. BBC4 ran Spiral right after Danish crime import The Killing, so most of the comments on the Guardian page are people outraged that Berthard is not the reserved, humbly competent lady detective that that show provided (SARAH LUND WOULD NEVER THREATEN TO EXECUTE A TAXI DRIVER IN PUBLIC, SARAH LUND WOULD NEVER HARASS A SUSPECT INTO AN EPILEPTIC FIT, SARAH LUND WOULD NEVER ILLEGALLY COVER UP A COLLEAGUE'S ACCIDENTALLY SHOOTING A DRUG DEALER IN THE LUNG, etc.) Which just makes me love her more.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

ScipioAfro posted:

Ever see the footage of WWTBAM without the tension-building music? Nothing like the actual show, it was some electronic thing instead on the pilot. I think it was on some documentary.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If they took out all the pauses and stuff the shows would probably only last 15 minutes. I'm already not looking forward to when they rebrand WWTBAM in 5 years and film it in somebodies home or some poo poo to combine noels house party and chris tarant.

I watched Banged Up Abroad tonight. I usually dislike these shows as I see them as almost being propaganda for not committing crimes (Road Wars, Camera Cops, whatever), but Banged Up Abroad is a little funnier as I can imagine it as poo poo versions of Midnight Express.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

justcola posted:

If they took out all the pauses and stuff the shows would probably only last 15 minutes.

And this is why The Fuse is the only quiz show worth a drat. Lots of questions, strict time limit, big fizzing flames to make sure you panic. Pointles does what, 10 questions a show? The Fuse does that in a minute.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imagine Deal or No Deal without the useless pausing, artificial tension building and bollocks with a guy on the phone. You could order 22 boxes in about 30 seconds and produce exactly the same result. But TV producers cream themselves about that tension. It's like making a cheap psychological horror film. You only need three DVR cameras, but people react like you've spent millions.

God I miss the old days of the first batch of WWTBAM pub machines when I could get £30 out of one a week.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

thehustler posted:

Ever see the footage of WWTBAM without the tension-building music? Nothing like the actual show, it was some electronic thing instead on the pilot. I think it was on some documentary.

So I typed wwtbam pilot in to youtube

and found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYULDmDGlGI

E>

Speaking of time filling, the Great British Food program, whatever it was called, made me want to sit with a stopwatch and work out how much time was actually spent teaching me things, and not talking about the presenters childhood, or loving all the other useless poo poo that every remotely 'educational' program is coached in.

Then the idea of actually sitting in front of the TV with a stopwatch made me incredibly depressed and I had to go outside and not watch TV for a while.

ScipioAfro fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 2, 2011

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

GimpChimp posted:

I have noticed people complaining about Saturday night TV but has anyone been watching the one gem BBC4 is putting out that evening, French police/justice system/crime drama Spiral (aka Engrenages)?
Yes it is great and has been discussed before! Would recommend it to anyone into this type of thing. Start with Series 1 though.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

wickles posted:

Yes it is great and has been discussed before! Would recommend it to anyone into this type of thing. Start with Series 1 though.

Yes, my mum is hooked on it now. I'm going to binge through it from the start of season one once I've finished uni in a few weeks.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?

LE0N posted:

Sorry if this has been already posted in this thread, but this is a thing that is happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm8vDlj7jaU

Its either going to be amazing or utter poo poo.

Should have been set in Liverpool and called the "Mersey Shore"

missed opportunity there

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And this is why The Fuse is the only quiz show worth a drat. Lots of questions, strict time limit, big fizzing flames to make sure you panic. Pointles does what, 10 questions a show? The Fuse does that in a minute.

15 to 1 was truly the quiz show's quiz show. William G. Stewart gave no gently caress as to who you were or where you were from.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I'm trying to remember a programme that was on around 1993/4. It was about an English guy who goes to play for Barcelona under an English manager. From memory, I assume they were based on Lineker and Venables, but can't really remember much else. Anyone any ideas?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

GimpChimp posted:

But best of all is Inspector Laure Berthard, the farcically determined, emotionally needy borderline sexual predator with serious anger management issues who is also our protagonist and heroine. BBC4 ran Spiral right after Danish crime import The Killing, so most of the comments on the Guardian page are people outraged that Berthard is not the reserved, humbly competent lady detective that that show provided (SARAH LUND WOULD NEVER THREATEN TO EXECUTE A TAXI DRIVER IN PUBLIC, SARAH LUND WOULD NEVER HARASS A SUSPECT INTO AN EPILEPTIC FIT, SARAH LUND WOULD NEVER ILLEGALLY COVER UP A COLLEAGUE'S ACCIDENTALLY SHOOTING A DRUG DEALER IN THE LUNG, etc.) Which just makes me love her more.

I wouldn't really call Lund humble, just stoic. I have to say I got really put off by the racism in the 2nd episode of Spiral, as well as the really pointless nudity. I mean the first time with the video was fine, it was advancing the plot, but when the judge comes in and watches it twice 'to make sure' it was a blatant pad the episode with some non-mascerated titties thing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Theshby posted:

15 to 1 was truly the quiz show's quiz show. William G. Stewart gave no gently caress as to who you were or where you were from.

And by the finals it was hard as gently caress.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I wouldn't really call Lund humble, just stoic. I have to say I got really put off by the racism in the 2nd episode of Spiral, as well as the really pointless nudity. I mean the first time with the video was fine, it was advancing the plot, but when the judge comes in and watches it twice 'to make sure' it was a blatant pad the episode with some non-mascerated titties thing.

I just assumed that it was just being 'French' for lack of a better explanation.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Who Dares Wins is terrible for "If it's wrong, you're wrong but if it's right, it's right" tension, wastes so much time and then when it comes to showing the answers they flash up for 1 second and are gone for all eternity. Terrible time management, and it was a better show when it was Wipeout.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I just watched the secret millionaire in Middlesbrough. Very rarely cry when I see stuff on TV.

Did.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Sion posted:

I just watched the secret millionaire in Middlesbrough. Very rarely cry when I see stuff on TV.

Did.

It's the most manipulative programme on the box.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

As someone who works with UKBA and has married a non-EU national the current plot line with Mercy and Fatboy is really irritating me. First of all, from my experience, I doubt UKBA would have gone to all the effort to find Mercy in such a short period of time based off a phone call, although I'll let the writers off for that, they can pretend UKBA was having a good day for once and responded quickly.

Fatboy's plan to marry her so she can stay in the country would never work. Unless you already have settled status in the UK you can't apply for a spouse visa in the UK as a foreign national, so she would have to return to her own country anyway to apply for the visa.

Then she'd need to give a valid reason on her application to explain why she's overstayed her previous visa for such a long time, which she'll never be able to do.

Then Fatboy would have to provide evidence that he has enough funds to support both himself and Mercy with resorting to public funds, and that he has suitable accomodation for both of them. Somehow I don't think his lovely stall in the market and his apparent lack of savings is going to cover that.

Also add to that they couldn't even get married in the first place as Mercy doesn't have a valid visa, let alone a visa which she could actually get married on.

Now I know it's a little like a gun nut getting upset because someone doesn't hold a gun with their fingers in the right place, but it does give the impression that fake marriages are actually really easy to pull of, when speaking from personal experience getting a spousal visa is a difficult and stressful process. It's all very Daily Mail of the BBC to have a plotline like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I think that's for the best.