Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Great article, i'll try that out.

Got any articles on the sonic differences of the different pickup builds, magnets, wirings and such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is pretty decent, but it is biased towards SD pick-ups of course.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/how_to_pick_a_pickup.pdf

Svrdfsk
Mar 1, 2010
I could use a little extra cash, and considered trying busking. I realize not many people here will be familiar with how this works in Norway, but I was wondering if anybody had any general tips they could give me? How to actually earn some money of it, good general places to sit, etc.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Is there any recommended program for recording anything you play through your soundcard or whatever? I want to sample dialogue from movies and sounds from youtube videos and stuff.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I don't know if it's a standard feature, but my X-Fi sound card has something called What-U-Hear that I can assign to a channel in Cubase, and that usually works fine for recording sounds from videos.

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Where's your condom now?!

Boz0r posted:

I don't know if it's a standard feature, but my X-Fi sound card has something called What-U-Hear that I can assign to a channel in Cubase, and that usually works fine for recording sounds from videos.

My X-Fi card has this too. Another option is plugging the output of your soundcard into the mic input physically, and hope for no feedback loops.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Audio Hijack is mac only and payware, but I've gotten good use out of it since buying it a few years ago. The really convenient things are control over how the capture is encoded, and the fact that the program only "hears" output from the desired source. So if I'm trying to capture an hour-long live stream and someone tries to skype me in the middle of it the take isn't ruined (though capturing from a browser is subject to other hazards).

Obviously it's not for everyone, but it may be worth considering.

The way I typically take audio from youtube is to use a firefox extension to download the FLV, then load that into Reaper and immediately export as a wav. For difficult programs or short notice, I've found that having a field recorder can come in really handy. Mini jack from comp out to recorder in, set level, done. Not likely to be what you're looking for, but if you're ever in the market for a flash recorder for some other reason be sure to count that as one of the benefits.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

the Bunt posted:

Is there any recommended program for recording anything you play through your soundcard or whatever? I want to sample dialogue from movies and sounds from youtube videos and stuff.

If you're talking pc and vista or win7 you can just use the sound mixer to mute everything but the program you want that's playing the audio.

Then depending on your soundcard there will most likely be a recording device to select (it's name will vary though) in your recording program of choice that will record whatever sounds you're playing.

Alternate option: If you have some kind of video editor a lot of those will let you load up your video, trim it, and clear out the video track before exporting as an audio format.

Short of that the headphone out to mic in usually works. Just have to watch your volume levels.

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Recently I have been getting a "vocal booth" (For rapping) set up in a friends closet. We have ordered some cheap convoluted ("egg-crate") foam sheets which will be Velcro-ed to the front and side walls, as well as the ceiling (the floor is carpeted), with about 60-90% coverage on one half of the closet. This, coupled with 4"x4" foam blocks lining the vertical and horizontal corners should take care of all the mid and high frequency problems associated with a small recording space. Just for information, the closet is 2'x5'x7'.

But what should I do for bass trapping? Keeping in mind most of our "budget" for materials is spent, and the booth is semi-temporary (hence the Velcro), what can I do to reduce any rumbles from outside, or bass from the neighbors music? So far my only solution is to pile clothes and other fabrics in the floor corners (about two cubic feet in the "back", less in the "front".)

I guess my real question is, would hanging 6-8 fabric sheets of varying thicknesses, spaced an inch or two apart, do anything towards stopping bass frequencies? Or would I really need to buy some insulation and use those instead of regular fabrics.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Better do a few trials before you go to any more trouble. If you're talking about indistinct low rumble, you can get rid of a lot of that with EQ around 80Hz. But first do some directional positioning with the mic; depending on its pattern and capabilities you may not even need to go much further.

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008

Underflow posted:

Better do a few trials before you go to any more trouble. If you're talking about indistinct low rumble, you can get rid of a lot of that with EQ around 80Hz. But first do some directional positioning with the mic; depending on its pattern and capabilities you may not even need to go much further.

Alright. I was planning on high-passing everything we record at around 80-100Hz anyways, because the human voice doesn't really produce those frequencies. I'll probably end up doing some white/pink noise bursts once we have the foam up to see what differences anything makes. Also might help with EQ, if there are any obnoxious frequencies. Thanks!

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
So, my Rode NTK power supply box up and died on me. I've never been a huge fan of the mic anyway, so I figure this is as good an opportunity as any to pick up a new condenser.

Is there a consensus on the "best" condenser in the $300-$600 range for someone who records acoustic guitar and sings?

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Boz0r posted:

This works for me, except "what-u-hear" appears as "stereo mix". I usually select this as my input in audacity or whatever software I'm using to record youtube etc audio.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mandals posted:

So, my Rode NTK power supply box up and died on me. I've never been a huge fan of the mic anyway, so I figure this is as good an opportunity as any to pick up a new condenser.

Is there a consensus on the "best" condenser in the $300-$600 range for someone who records acoustic guitar and sings?

You might want to check out ye olde mic thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3354275

knees of putty posted:

This works for me, except "what-u-hear" appears as "stereo mix". I usually select this as my input in audacity or whatever software I'm using to record youtube etc audio.

I have this too with my onboard sound (Realtek, pretty common I think) but I think it's disabled by default, so you might need to enable it in the Recording Devices section of your Windows mixer thing.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

baka kaba posted:

You might want to check out ye olde mic thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3354275

Oh man I can't believe I missed that. Thanks.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Is there a thread somewhere where people discuss building music production rigs and such? I'm looking to build a custom setup in the near future and i'm definitely gonna need some pointers.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Are there any real differences between the various jack cables out there? I'd prefer spending less cash on cables, but if it means a degradation in sound it wouldn't be worth it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dirtbag posted:

Is there a thread somewhere where people discuss building music production rigs and such? I'm looking to build a custom setup in the near future and i'm definitely gonna need some pointers.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2292898

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks!

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002
I have noise coming from my Fender 4x10 Deville when I hit certain frequencies. It almost sounds like when you shake a burnt-out lightbulb and hear the broken filament rattling around. When I try to source the sound it seems to be coming from around the tubes. Is this indicative of a bad tube?

Can I remove the tubes safely myself? I thought I could just yank them out, but this Yahoo Answers article makes it sound like I'll get electrocuted to death if I so much as touch one of the tubes (which I've already done).

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

quote:

If you are asking this on Yahoo Answers, you need to seek a professional that you can Pay to do it.

Tubes have the potential to Kill. Easily. Even while the unit is off and unplugged. Do not ever touch the tubes or the surrounding components.

DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE.

Many people have died from removing tubes when the unit is unplugged.

lmao

Keep in mind that Yahoo Answers has always been a favorite of the weekend web...

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
So I'm the proud new owner of a mandocello, which is basically the same size as a guitar with a bit lower range. My instrument is really awesome sounding and is all around a high quality acoustic instrument.

I'm playing around with starting an Irish/folk group with a friend of mine to do some gigs in bars around town. So I'm assuming the rules for live performance would be the same as a nice acoustic guitar, which i know very little about.

So would micing the instrument be the normal thing to do? What about getting a pick-up installed?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If it can play acoustically then generally you'd play it into a microphone (a vocal one will do for gigs - and in a pinch you can share a mic with another instrumentalist). I've never played anything that wasn't electro-acoustic at least so I can't help about the pick-up conundrum.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I've got a question for a Microkorg owner: If I want more/full-sized keys, can I play the Microkorg by connecting another MIDI keyboard to its MIDI-input?

Also, could I program some time-synced MIDI sequences in Ableton, feed them into the MIDI-IN, and record the Microkorg's output to an audio track?

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

I'm learning the saxophone. I'm just learning how to use the octave key. Something I've found is that when I release the octave key whilst playing a continuous note the note doesn't change at all.

My tutor has told me to close my throat which works and it drops back to the low note. I don't get it though, why doesn't the note just change the second the octave key is released?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
I really really like the over-the-top distortiony sound you get when the single coil (S1) pickup on my ibanez is as close to the strings as the rest of the pickups, but it seems awfully strong in comparison to them. When I'm changing strings, the strings literally get stuck on the poles until I get them taught enough for them to resist the pull. This seems like it could be really detrimental to string vibration (and thus sustain). Is there some kind of golden mean for the setup or did they not think this stuff through? Are there single coils which get you that same effect but don't have as high an output?

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Long Wang posted:

I'm learning the saxophone. I'm just learning how to use the octave key. Something I've found is that when I release the octave key whilst playing a continuous note the note doesn't change at all.

My tutor has told me to close my throat which works and it drops back to the low note. I don't get it though, why doesn't the note just change the second the octave key is released?

It's all part of your technique. After a while, you will be able to (at will) play most of the upper octave without touching the octave key and part of the lower octave with the octave key pressed down, but if you're just starting out, there's always a chance that it'll happen by accident. This is hard to explain over the internet, but I personally associate blowing high notes with high lip tension, high air pressure, and blowing slightly upward, while low notes require lower tension and pressure and slightly downward blowing.

Ultimately, the easiest way to solve this is through experience. After a while, you'll learn the best ways to play low notes and high notes, and you can slightly adjust your blowing when jumping between octaves. I wouldn't worry too much about it, mastering the more subtle aspects of blowing technique simply takes time.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What strings do you guys use on your steel string acoustics? I've used D'Addario EJ17 Phosphor Bronzed strings for a bit but when I'm usually playing my Ibanez with puny Super Slinky .9's it hurts my fingers when I switch to the acoustic. I'd like something more loose and floppy like the slinkys but with proper sound for an acoustic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Boz0r posted:

What strings do you guys use on your steel string acoustics? I've used D'Addario EJ17 Phosphor Bronzed strings for a bit but when I'm usually playing my Ibanez with puny Super Slinky .9's it hurts my fingers when I switch to the acoustic. I'd like something more loose and floppy like the slinkys but with proper sound for an acoustic.

Could just get some D'Addario Lights or Extra Lights (EJ17 is Medium apparently). They won't be as loud or bassy but they'll be easier on your fingers. Acoustics always have heavier strings though

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Martins 12-54, sometimes 14-56. Only have one steelstring acoustic, but it's a nice one; a custom Jumbo, slightly smaller size than normal. Similar gauges on my electrics, but those are D'Angelicos (the strings, not the guitars, unfortunately). Got an entire packing crate of them years ago; flats, rounds, bass, guitar. Should last me till I drop.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is it worth investing ANY time into a guitar with a very slightly twisted neck? It's a short-scale bass and is already worth practically nothing, and I can't find any cheap necks online.

I was thinking of a repaint and replacement pickups/pots/rewire which aren't that expensive comparitively speaking..

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Southern Heel posted:

Is it worth investing ANY time into a guitar with a very slightly twisted neck? It's a short-scale bass and is already worth practically nothing, and I can't find any cheap necks online.

I was thinking of a repaint and replacement pickups/pots/rewire which aren't that expensive comparitively speaking..

Providing it's really just a very slight twist:

If it's a no-name, but you like it; sure. If it's an old Fender Musicmaster or similar; absolutely. The neck can be straightened by heat treatment. Perhaps not the sort of thing you can do at home, but a decent tech won't charge much for it. I've had it done on guitars at the equivalent of $40-$60 a pop.

Shortscale basses are lots of fun. Easy to get into if you already play guitar, great for extended jams and constant gigging 'cause of their reduced weight and size. And they have a slightly bouncier tone to them than longscales.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Awesome, that's good to know. Can I just give them the neck when it's disassembled?

What pickups should I be looking at? It has a pair of humbucker-style ones and is totally passive. I'm looking for a metal-style tone on this one.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Southern Heel posted:

Awesome, that's good to know. Can I just give them the neck when it's disassembled?

What pickups should I be looking at? It has a pair of humbucker-style ones and is totally passive. I'm looking for a metal-style tone on this one.

Better bring the whole bass. The guitar tech will prefer to see how the instrument holds up before he starts any work on it. And you might get lucky and he'll set it up for you when he's done.

Do you know which brand/model that bass is? Easier to pinpoint a replacement that way. Or just post a picture. Anyway, humbuckers are fine for just about anything. Even the (PU-wise) mellowest Precision through a powerful amp can hold its own in a hard rock setting.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I should take it to him after I've stripped it but before repainting?

This is the bass, it's a "Jedson":

I'm thinking of a creamy orange solid repaint. I'll be able to polish up the chrome, right?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Take it to him before you do any work on it to make sure its worthwhile.

What kind of metal tone are you looking for? The short scale is not a good start, but you'll probably want to change to roundwound strings.

If those pickups are awful it looks like you may be able to fit something like DiMarzio Model Ones in there - http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?src=3WFRWXX&entProductId=302261

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
You know how there are those small toy keyboards sold in piss-scented electronics stores targeted at kids, right? My friend has one and loves it, I've played it too and while it is fun there are some limitations.

Anyway, storytime's over, this is the question thread after all. Is there such thing as a higher-end model of a tiny keyboard? It would be amazing if there were something I could fit in a backpack and play around with on the bus/during lunch. As I saids before, the regular ones have some limitations (they are made for babies after all), so I'd need to find something that has a headphone port and the ability to play at least 4 or 5 notes at once. Anything else (sound quality, touch sensitivity, variety of preset sounds, MIDI interface etc) is just gravy, I'd ideally just like to be able to transport it easily and use it to write music when I'm travelling or otherwise away from the house.

I do have a melodica, which would be perfect if it weren't so drat loud, so are there any other options?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Southern Heel posted:

I should take it to him after I've stripped it but before repainting?

Before you do anything at all, like Chu said as well. Personally I wouldn't bother replacing the pick-ups unless they were dead. Should have enough output, and I can't imagine they sound especially bad. Looks like these instruments were made by Teisco; some by Tokai, even. If that bass turns out to be Tokai-made I'd hang on to it if I were you. More info at jedsonguitars.net.

Getting a hard rockish tone is possible on a shortscale if you use light to medium gauge roundwounds through a simple bass eq pedal into a big crunchy amp. Don't have experience with that kind of music and tone myself, but I've seen people with Fender shortscales from the 1970s who had huge sound and still got good definition even on the low end.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I have a Fender Hot Rod amp (w/ single 12" speaker) and I think I need to change the power tubes. The clean channel has a weird amount of dirt and the preamp tube don't sound microphonic when I tap them.

How do I go about choosing new tubes to buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm trying to get back into ear training, because I'm horrendously bad at it.

I'm currently running through the Teoria exercises:
http://www.teoria.com/exercises/ie.htm
Melodic intervals I'm pretty ok at, I can pretty much get them right every time now. I'm having serious problems with harmonic intervals though - I get things horribly wrong sometimes, I mistake minors for majors, get intervals backwards sometimes (like thinking a minor 2nd is a major 7th), even confuse octaves for 5ths.

I think it's partly because I tend to 'walk' up or down the scale in my mind, which partly explains the major 7th thing, but sometimes I have real problems hearing the root note too - is that MIDI piano sound pretty bad for this kind of thing? And anyone got any tips?