Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kindle 3 is thinner, looks better, has a MUCH better eink display, comes in a color other than Ugly Apple Jackasswhite, and well it's not like it's more expensive.

I'm not sure what you mean by the $25 cheaper version, do you mean the one without 3G or the ad version? I don't know if the ad version is even out yet. There is no reason to get the 3G version though, unless you have no internet-capable phone and want a web browser experience worse than a phone from 1989. The Kindle browser is worse than cancer. Literally any cell phone made in the last 10 years does it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
I just posted these in the Portal 2 thread. 600x800 are the B&W Nook screensaver sizes, so I don't know if they'll work on Kindle or not.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

MegaCharger posted:

Is there a huge difference between the kindle 3 and kindle 2, should I just get a kindle 2 on the cheap? I'm testing the water with this e-reader thing and would like to get a cheap but decent one. I'm 100% going to be only reading text novels on it, no browsing the web or mp3 or any of that. Also I'm only going to be using it outside or at well-lit places, basically anywhere you would read a real book without killing your eyes.

Also what the heck is the $25 cheaper version kindle 3? Does it just display ads when you are not reading the book? Will it hinder my reading in any way?

1. One major one is that it Kindle 3 uses better e-ink (it has higher contrast). It also has longer battery life, about twice the memory, and is slightly smaller. All kindles only work in places with light you could see a regular book by, so that's irrelevant.

2. The cheaper one shows ads when it's in sleep mode and on the home screen (where your books are listed). Incidentally, I'm curious whether the screensaver hack works on the ad supported version.

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
Kindle 3 it is then.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you remove duplicate books in Calibre?
Press Del(ete) on the book you wanted to remove outright, right click the book in question to remove formats and covers.

Which option is it to have a book's formats get consolidated into 1 title (i.e: Book X in formats epub, mobi, pdf, etc.)

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Levitate posted:

Do people find any utility with the 3G version of the Kindle over the basic kind (beyond getting books whenever and wherever)?

Not sure which to get...some basic web browsing would be welcome especially if it lets me check my email but do people find other uses?

Well if you are away from a wireless ap like at a hotel with pay for wireless and don't have 3g on your phone, it's nice to have to check e-mail and do some simple things. Otherwise, I haven't used it much.

Also, what does jailbreaking your kindle get you exactly? My kindle works perfectly but I don't want to sacrifice usability for some portal 2 screensavers...

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 2, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

GoldenNugget posted:

Well if you are away from a wireless ap like at a hotel with pay for wireless and don't have 3g on your phone, it's nice to have to check e-mail and do some simple things. Otherwise, I haven't used it much.

Also, what does jailbreaking your kindle get you exactly? My kindle works perfectly but I don't want to sacrifice usability for some portal 2 screensavers...

I recently did the screensaver hack, which involved jailbreaking, and it hasn't changed the functionality of my Kindle at all. All it means is that I get to see my daughter's picture instead of Nathaniel Hawthorne. I'm sure there are other things that you can do when you jailbreak it, but they don't automatically happen, if that makes sense. Nothing changes functionally when you do the screensaver hack.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

GoldenNugget posted:

To be honest: I don't know. I don't know if you can do the screensaver hack without jailbreaking, and I don't know what else jailbreaking lets you do. But I do know that I have photos of fancy beers I drank in unusual places instead of some royalty-free clip art and that's the only change that I've noticed at all.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
All jailbreaking does is allow you to install non-official updates (like, say, the screensaver hack). It doesn't change your Kindle at all, and it doesn't prevent it from getting official updates. It almost certainly voids your warranty if they figure out you did it, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You can put your kindle back in jail if you really care to.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The jailbreak itself is very safe, it simply uses an exploit to drop an additional "signature" into the folder of approved signatures. Updates and executables are "signed" with a code that lets the kindle know it's ok to run it. By adding a known one you can install apps and updates signed with the inserted code, not approved by amazon. Obviously that's at your own risk and some things it lets you install can brick your kindle, but jailbreak, screensaver hack, and font hack are pretty innocuous.

It's not rooted the same way a nook is, although the kindle CAN be rooted it's usually not necessary for the tweaks most people want.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there anything else cool I can do after the screensaver thing? Maybe instal Tetris?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Is there anything else cool I can do after the screensaver thing? Maybe instal Tetris?

I'm suddenly having flashbacks of playing games on my old TI-89 graphing calculator back in high school...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Press shift+alt+m :)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's such a shame because I can't own an electronic device without modding it to hell and back, which means the Nook really is the device for me, but it just doesn't pay to have one in Canada. I'm thoroughly happy with my Kindle thus far, though, and I really love this pack of engravings I got out of the IYG thread that I'm using for screensavers.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

IRQ posted:

Press shift+alt+m :)

Yay! Thanks!

neongrey posted:

It's such a shame because I can't own an electronic device without modding it to hell and back, which means the Nook really is the device for me, but it just doesn't pay to have one in Canada. I'm thoroughly happy with my Kindle thus far, though, and I really love this pack of engravings I got out of the IYG thread that I'm using for screensavers.

Link, please?

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/ WOW! Thanks!

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 3, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=386511309&forumid=192

Enjoy.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
I just placed an order for a K3(wifi) and the lit case - and I am about ready to become a book addict again!

I'm as excited about hacking in a cool wallpaper as anything else. :3: How will I ever decide which one!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I haven't looked recently but in the kindle 2 days amazon cs officially posted on the cs board that the screen saver hack didnt void the warranty but equally they didn't support it so wouldn't help you do it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

dont eat a carb posted:

I just placed an order for a K3(wifi) and the lit case - and I am about ready to become a book addict again!

I'm as excited about hacking in a cool wallpaper as anything else. :3: How will I ever decide which one!

You can actually set it up to randomly choose one of however many pictures you load it with each time it goes to sleep or you put it there. :)

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Thanks so much for these. I picked out about ~50 of my favorite ones. They look amazing. :)

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

I'm assuming these will also work on a nook. Thanks :)

I keep meaning to go all out and customize the hell out of my nook, but so lazy :(

Decalgirl has some pretty cool looking skins.
http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/34878

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

JammyLammy posted:

I assume so, it's the same resolution, right?

Glad I could help, the OP of that thread only links a couple and since the demise of waffleimages just to the thumbnails. So, in order to know the full pack is there, you have to have, say, read the whole goddamn thread while waiting for your device to arrive... :v:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Just had a thought.

Does anyone use their kindle to check the SA Forums?

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

JammyLammy posted:

I keep meaning to go all out and customize the hell out of my nook, but so lazy :(

Decalgirl has some pretty cool looking skins.
http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/34878

Honestly, I think the Kindle 3 with the Amazon brand black leather lit case looks best of all, unmodified but for a custom lockscreen. Simple clean style:

The art in a lot of the DecalGirl/Gelaskin covers is great but it seems like it would just be distracting, whereas having a snazzy leather cover with a built in light makes the Kindle feel a lot more like a book.

dont eat a carb fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 3, 2011

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
My only real concern with buying skins is the lack of casing (because who wants to cover the skin they just bought) -> exposed screen -> cracked screen :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Just had a thought.

You can and I have but its such a hassle that there's no point to.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I did used to use my Kindle to check the SA forums, before I had a smartphone. If it's not an image heavy thread and you turn avatars off, it works alright.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
I only ask because I do a lot of forum reading (the traffic engineering thread, python thread, and others) that could be pleasantly done in the warm sun away from flickering monitors.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

I only ask because I do a lot of forum reading (the traffic engineering thread, python thread, and others) that could be pleasantly done in the warm sun away from flickering monitors.

I've done it on a couple of occasions but it's not a good tool for it. The browser is slow and the interface is clunky. It also doesn't retain cookies so you'll need to log in any time you start the browser. Really it's good passable functional for checking some simple sites when you don't have a better solution handy but I wouldn't rely on it.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I just picked up a Kindle and I really like the form factor and small size of it. I don't think I want to double or triple that size with a case. I definitely need something to protect it during transport. Does anybody have just a simple sleeve cover that they recommend?

mith
Sep 30, 2003
^^ Agreed. gently caress Cases. I just put mine in the outside pocket of my bag. The outer part of the jansport backpack before i had the bag. I've gone through a kindle 2 & 3 (2 got passed on to the gf) and haven't had any issues.

Random Stranger posted:

I've done it on a couple of occasions but it's not a good tool for it.
if you're on a kindle 3 and actually have the updates it's gotten a lot better. But ya, look into instantpaper or w/e that app is called if this is something you really want to do on a regular basis.

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

Any of the top-rated sleeves will work fine. I have the BUILT one and I love it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Drunk Tomato posted:

Just had a thought.

Sporadic posted:

I'm posting from my Kindle and I have to say, I am pretty amazed at how useable/readable the forums are when you tilt the screen over and set it to 150%. A little slow and the text is a tad bit on the small side but still the same forum experience as on my PC.

- edit But it is slightly annoying that you have to set it to 150% every time you go to a new page.

Now with screenshot.

- edit And you can scroll by hitting the next page button. You don't actually have to get the cursor down to the bottom of the screen.

Sporadic posted:

And here the page actually on my Kindle (which is in the lighted case). There is a slight shadow from the screen on my porch but it's good enough to get an idea of how it looks.

I just used it yesterday when my power went out for a hour. Not the greatest but much better than most people say.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 4, 2011

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
It never occurred to me to tilt the screen for interneting. That's fantastic!

I will 100% be stealing this idea. Thanks Sporadic!

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Clara posted:

Any of the top-rated sleeves will work fine. I have the BUILT one and I love it.

I like everything about the BUILT ones except the horrible color choices. Guess I'll just go with black.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Probably gonna order in the lighted case myself, so I can tell myself that I'm going to bed far earlier than I actually am.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Sporadic posted:

I just used it yesterday when my power went out for a hour. Not the greatest but much better than most people say.

Oh, hey thanks for the pictures! Sorry for repeating a question.

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I like everything about the BUILT ones except the horrible color choices. Guess I'll just go with black.

Haha, yeah, they're kind of out there. I thought the green looked like a nice apple colour and ordered that but it turned out to be this eye-searing neon monstrosity. I returned it and got the black and have had no complaints since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Drunk Tomato posted:

Oh, hey thanks for the pictures! Sorry for repeating a question.

No problem. That post was actually from the ereader thread a few months ago.

• Locked thread