Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

Not Mind Safe
I thought it was Not Man Safe, as in Not Safe for Mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

I thought it was Not Man Safe, as in Not Safe for Mankind.

It's definitely Not Mind Safe.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Sue Denim posted:

It sounds monumental, as I'm sure these are the only times Storm has danced...ever.

I remember some thing from his site where he talked about him and Dawn Marie rocking out right behind the entrance before he came out like every time in ECW. Blew my gourd.

VVV But at the same time he's "not a fan of music" and "only eats for sustenance," although the last makes sense for an athlete. Dude reads a lot though.

Minges fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 2, 2011

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Minges posted:

I remember some thing from his site where he talked about him and Dawn Marie rocking out right behind the entrance before he came out like every time in ECW. Blew my gourd.

the sad thing is that when he's not in character, Lance Storm comes across as one of the funniest and most charismatic people I've seen interviewed. It's amazing that people could take that and decide that his gimmick should be "the boring guy"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lamuella posted:

the sad thing is that when he's not in character, Lance Storm comes across as one of the funniest and most charismatic people I've seen interviewed. It's amazing that people could take that and decide that his gimmick should be "the boring guy"

Some people are very appealing in casual conversation but can't convert that to a stage persona in quite the same way. Dean Malenko's another example of a dude who comes across incredibly differently in interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff than as a performer. Both guys do have charisma as performers, but it's a much more businesslike style than their offstage personality.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The thing with Dean and Lance is that they are very serious when it comes to pro wrestling but have fantastic dry humour. Dry humour doesn't tend to translate as well in a crazy thing like pro wrestling.

I still hold to the fact that Dean Malenko had a ton of charisma and a Bruce Springsteen effect on the WCW crowds at one point. Rey Mysterio might have been the most popular if you consider the history of WCW but Dean got a bigger face pop than any Cruiserweight ever. Twice.

(And yes, Jericho deserves some credit for being such a fantastic heel foil)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

warbrides posted:

I've sprained my elbow and it is ridiculous how much it hurts each time my body moves/jolts/does anything other than stay still. It absolutely amazes me that Bob Holly managed to finish his match with Angle with a broken arm, especially taking the suplex bumps.

Has anyone else (other than Trips) famously finished a match after loving up a body part?
1/22/99 Triple Crown, Kawada vs. Misawa. About 8 minutes in, Kawada breaks his forearm. He then proceeds to wrestle for another 16 minutes. The broken arm also resulted in this spot, which is a lot harder to watch than it used to be.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
What, no mention of Danielson loving up his eye socket vs. Morishima?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I seriously wondered this and am clueless to the answer so go easy on me if this is the dumbest question ever.

Is it possible that Edge timed his retirement, even if only slightly, to come when Christian was set to benefit from it?

Also, considering her last employer I wonder if Kong looked around from the ring and thought "why are all these people here?"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I seriously wondered this and am clueless to the answer so go easy on me if this is the dumbest question ever.

Is it possible that Edge timed his retirement, even if only slightly, to come when Christian was set to benefit from it?

Almost definitely not. Edge seemed like he only had a year or two left in him anyway, but the story seems to be that he had this issue, went to the doctor to get it checked out, and the doctor told him, "sorry, but you just retired."

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

Also, considering her last employer I wonder if Kong looked around from the ring and thought "why are all these people here?"

I seriously doubt he timed it for that, but I'm willing to bet he called in about every favor he could on his way out to get Christian the benefits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved that she debuted in Florida, that must have been sweeeeeeeet.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Who is this guy?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Red posted:

Who is this guy?

Alex Koslov

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ChampRamp posted:

Alex Koslov

Wikipedia says he's signed to a WWE developmental deal. Why isn't he in a communist tag team with Vladimir?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red posted:

Wikipedia says he's signed to a WWE developmental deal. Why isn't he in a communist tag team with Vladimir?

Too busy being rana'ed by Sin Cara in the middle of Egypt in the eye of a hurricane.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Red posted:

Who is this guy?

The guy getting thrown around in Sin Cara's titantron.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that she debuted in Florida, that must have been sweeeeeeeet.
Did you type this in Carter Pewterschmidt voice?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
What constitutes a "ring general", who are well known ones, and how do you know who they are?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I believe the term refers to a wrestler's ability to "command the ring", thus "commander", but idk poo poo about military rankings but I'm pretty sure a general is above a commander? Either way it involves people who can put on a good match with anyone, call matches in the ring and improvise effectively, and people who know the business inside and out, from the acting to the technical aspects of physical competition.

Off the top of my head from WWE, I'd say Jericho, Danielson, Finlay, Christian, Malenko, and Punk. But I am in no way qualified to make that distinction :)

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

CM Funk posted:

I believe the term refers to a wrestler's ability to "command the ring", thus "commander", but idk poo poo about military rankings but I'm pretty sure a general is above a commander? Either way it involves people who can put on a good match with anyone, call matches in the ring and improvise effectively, and people who know the business inside and out, from the acting to the technical aspects of physical competition.

Off the top of my head from WWE, I'd say Jericho, Danielson, Finlay, Christian, Malenko, and Punk. But I am in no way qualified to make that distinction :)

Really? I'd never heard Ring General used in a non-kayfabe sense. It was always what the announcers called Bret Hart to insinuate he always knew where he and his opponent were in the ring at any given time.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I always thought of it basically like a dance - "ring general" is like "born leader". A perfect ring general is someone who naturally progresses to lead the others through the dance without trying to get himself over at their expense.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

warbrides posted:

Has anyone else (other than Trips) famously finished a match after loving up a body part?

Marufuji screwed up his shoulder in a match against Kenny Omega when a corner move got botched. It wasn't even half way through the match (I can't remember how long it was). He ended up winning with what I could only describe as a release sheer drop brainbuster.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

As far as I've read, ring generals are people who pretty much always call their matches and have earned enough respect for anybody else to follow their lead.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Robert Remus was a ring sergeant, does that count?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Robert Remus was a ring sergeant, does that count?

No, because then Dwayne Bruce does too.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

No, because then Dwayne Bruce does too.

Hmmm. Well, I'd heard that former WWWF tag champ Billy White Wolf was known as a ring general in his later years.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The ring general is the wrestler who is responsible for calling the spots during their match.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Davros1 posted:

The ring general is the wrestler who is responsible for calling the spots during their match.

I always thought it was a person who could handle crazy situations and put together a match on the fly. Like austin could basically pull a match out of thin air whenever he needed too, regardless of who was in the ring.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
whups!

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 3, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've always taken it to mean the guy who takes control in the ring, both for the stuff that goes as expected and the stuff that crops up unpredictably that needs to be dealt with. A good ring general is one who delivers whether it's just a straight ahead paint by numbers match or a crazy free-for-all.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TNA Question: In the RAW Thread today there was mention of Lesbian Zombies, can someone give me a synopsis of this?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

KildarX posted:

TNA Question: In the RAW Thread today there was mention of Lesbian Zombies, can someone give me a synopsis of this?

Winter appears to have drugged/hypnotized/possessed Angelina Love. She is not a mindless, emotionless drone and they do horrific closeups of her face whenever she's on screen.

Winter has the catchiest theme song in the history of music.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Writer Cath posted:

You aren't kidding. I like it. It sounds epic at times and it can edge that over the top-ness. I also like Katie Lea and her blindfold gimmick is hot as is she. It works.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Writer Cath posted:

Can't get past the lyrics and stilted lyrical pacing. If that's yours and Gatts's thing you should both check out Nightwish.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Avoid the closeups at all times. HD and Angelina closeups are a terrible combination.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MrMondayNight posted:

Avoid the closeups at all times. HD and Angelina closeups are a terrible combination.

HD closeups seem to age her 35 more years in an instant somehow.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

HD closeups seem to age her 35 more years in an instant somehow.

The slack-jawed stare haunts my dreams.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CM Funk posted:

Can't get past the lyrics and stilted lyrical pacing. If that's yours and Gatts's thing you should both check out Nightwish.

I actually kind of like Nightwish and have wished a wrestler to have a theme like that. I like E.S. Posthumus and Two Steps from Hell and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
So what was the clearly rehearsed and therefore appropriately censored insult that Rocky called Michael Cole tonight on Raw? He got away with everything else he could have said, what could he have possibly called Cole to warrant being censored since the first time he said "bitch" a couple months back?