Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

SneakyCracker posted:

I believe you can put the phone into airplane mode, and then just manually turn on wifi. My understanding is that this will allow the phone to leave the CDMA radio off but still operate on Wifi.

Fake Edit: Yup, just tried it on my Epic. Putting the phone into airplane mode disables everything, but then manually turning on wifi will leave the airplane mode icon in place, but give the wifi connection only.

Edit 2: Texting does not work in this mode, though.

Cool, thanks! I don't want texts working, if it's important the person can email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SneakyCracker posted:

Fake Edit: Yup, just tried it on my Epic. Putting the phone into airplane mode disables everything, but then manually turning on wifi will leave the airplane mode icon in place, but give the wifi connection only.

On Froyo there's the "Data network mode" option next to Airplane mode in the power-button-hold menu. That should have the desired effect--turning off the cellular data connection but still allowing for calls, sms, and wifi.

I'd also turn off the "Data roaming" option in the "Mobile networks" settings just in case.

Edit: Oh, don't want texts. Yes, Airplane mode then.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is a great summery of what is wrong with Samsung phones and it should be in the OP and linked to every time someone says they are thinking about getting one.

This theory also would explain why other Samsung products, like their TVs, monitors, appliances, etc are all still generally considered the cream of the crop - those are products where they are not having to develop for a market that uses different technology. There is a good chance where the engineers may actually be using said products in this scenario.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is a great summery of what is wrong with Samsung phones and it should be in the OP and linked to every time someone says they are thinking about getting one.

Agreed. This is also the reason why I'm leaning toward the Nexus S over the EVO 3D...though, as I've said many times before, the EVO 3D is A LOT of hardware to pass on.

I'm also heavily considering forgoing my upgrade in June and waiting for the next Nexus phone. They announced the Nexus One in January 2010, and the Nexus S in December 2010, so it would stand to reason that they'll announce the next Nexus phone sometime around December 2011-January 2012. Since I'm perfectly happy with my EVO (and thanks to Cyanogenmod 7 I've already been running Gingerbread for months, and will surely get Ice Cream (Sandwich?) as well), I have little reason to upgrade anyhow...other than the fact that I want a new phone just to have a new phone.

SneakyCracker posted:

Another great reason to use Google Voice.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Dammit come on Surprise. 4G is slowly coming online in Phoenix but not quick enough for me.

Holy crap, those things sprouted over night! I am technically covered now though I couldn't get signal in my house or yard. During my bike ride I was able to hop on 4G. If they keep expanding that out at a reasonable pace my Sprint ire will be extinguished.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

Agreed. This is also the reason why I'm leaning toward the Nexus S over the EVO 3D...though, as I've said many times before, the EVO 3D is A LOT of hardware to pass on.

I'm also heavily considering forgoing my upgrade in June and waiting for the next Nexus phone. They announced the Nexus One in January 2010, and the Nexus S in December 2010, so it would stand to reason that they'll announce the next Nexus phone sometime around December 2011-January 2012. Since I'm perfectly happy with my EVO (and thanks to Cyanogenmod 7 I've already been running Gingerbread for months, and will surely get Ice Cream (Sandwich?) as well), I have little reason to upgrade anyhow...other than the fact that I want a new phone just to have a new phone.

Another great reason to use Google Voice.

I just wish we knew who will get it first and who is going to make hardware? My guess it is Motorola's turn.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I just wish we knew who will get it first and who is going to make hardware? My guess it is Motorola's turn.

There's been LG rumors going around too...specifically about a Nexus Tablet though.

I suppose it might make sense to let LG develop a Nexus Tablet and the Nexus 3 at the same time to release Ice Cream...

Who knows. At the end of the day, I don't really have a problem with anyone's HARDWARE...it's the crap software they keep dishing out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well, I brought my phone to the local Sprint store and they were very busy, so I set an appointment for the next day. Parking was poo poo so I didn't make the appointment, but got it taken in anyway. Took them a couple hours because they were busy as gently caress, but now I have a new Epic. With a hosed speaker. At least Retentions moved up my upgrade date.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

jeeves posted:

I am curious why some folks have a preference to the Nexus S? It seems there is a lot of Samsung hate here, but not for that specific phone?

Beyond what everyone else has said, it's just a really slick phone with a thin form factor and good batter life. I randomly ended up getting ahold of the t-mobile version of the phone and I've been using as a music player to supplement my aging and battery anemic pre. Granted, the battery won't be as good when it's actually on a network, but assuming sprint doesn't screw it up I imagine it will still be good. Plus gingerbread is the first android version that I consider to be up to par with iOS and WebOS. I don't care about 3D, and the original Evo's battery life isn't so great according to my friends who have it. I want a phone that lasts all day and fits in my pocket along with my wallet, and I"m willing to sacrifice pure speed for that. I doubt I'll notice much anyway

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You know, i'm kind of starting to hate the guy that posted "Why Samsung phones suck and why the Google Nexus S is different". It was very good information and I don't disagree with anything said. I hate it because now i'm questioning if I want to hold out for the Evo 3d or go with the Nexus.

Pros and Cons basically amount to the Evo 3d being super powerful, made by a developer with a higher success rate for phones and 3d capable, which is pretty damned interesting to me. The Nexus is a Google phone, slimmer, lighter, has an AMOLED curved display, a WiFi hotspot, and NFC. The Evo is more of a "device" while the Nexus is more of a phone, if that makes any sense.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the Evo is too powerful. I mean, how powerful of a phone do you need? At what point does all that power become unnecessary? Will all the power of the Evo ever be utilized?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ShowTime posted:

You know, i'm kind of starting to hate the guy that posted "Why Samsung phones suck and why the Google Nexus S is different". It was very good information and I don't disagree with anything said. I hate it because now i'm questioning if I want to hold out for the Evo 3d or go with the Nexus.

Pros and Cons basically amount to the Evo 3d being super powerful, made by a developer with a higher success rate for phones and 3d capable, which is pretty damned interesting to me. The Nexus is a Google phone, slimmer, lighter, has an AMOLED curved display, a WiFi hotspot, and NFC. The Evo is more of a "device" while the Nexus is more of a phone, if that makes any sense.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the Evo is too powerful. I mean, how powerful of a phone do you need? At what point does all that power become unnecessary? Will all the power of the Evo ever be utilized?

First - the WiFi Hotspot feature WILL still cost you $30 per month from Sprint. I can't find my source right now, but I know I read it somewhere.

Second - Applications will absolutely utilize dual-core processors eventually...but I'm not worried about it right now. Why would someone code an app specifically for dual-cores right now? They would be ensuring that 99% of their potential user-base can't use their app. Sure, some games might come out in the next year or two that will require dual-cores, but 99% of your apps will either a)never need dual-cores, or b)won't require them for at least another year (probably 2).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Ozmodiar posted:

First - the WiFi Hotspot feature WILL still cost you $30 per month from Sprint. I can't find my source right now, but I know I read it somewhere.

Second - Applications will absolutely utilize dual-core processors eventually...but I'm not worried about it right now. Why would someone code an app specifically for dual-cores right now? They would be ensuring that 99% of their potential user-base can't use their app. Sure, some games might come out in the next year or two that will require dual-cores, but 99% of your apps will either a)never need dual-cores, or b)won't require them for at least another year (probably 2).

See I never even thought of that, so i'm glad I said something. Having to code the programs to utilize the dual core snapdragon processor is a good point. Another thing I thought of was HTC Sense. I love that UI and my last two phone used it. But, I found myself never really utilizing the 7 screens and an entire button that was on every screen (one of the buttons located next to the curved "phone" button set in the lower middle part of the screen). So that was just wasted space. I loved the widgets, but i'm 99% sure that by now there are widgets for your standard Android UI.

I'm going to think about it some more tonight but I might call tomorrow and see about getting put on a pre-order list for the Nexus.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just came back from the Sprint store with my brothers new phone. We decided to ditch the Epic (for the best) and just upgrade to the Optimus S. I always thought the Optimus was $50 but apparently it's gone down to $20. Found out as well we could trade in the old Hero and get some money from that, we ended up with $17.

However the Sprint employee did something and was able to give us $40 for the Hero so it covered the cost of the Optimus and a cover for it. In total all I paid was about $2.75.

Messing a bit with the phone now and it's not that bad, it's definitely an improvement over the Hero. Plus since my brothers update is still in effect for November (we used my dad's upgrade to get the Optimus) he could get the EVO 3D or something by then.

All in all this was pretty drat good, and a steal I think.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ShowTime posted:

I mean, how powerful of a phone do you need?
Personally I think the 3D part is a gimmick, but as to the rest of it, the answer is subjective. There's really two ways of looking at it.

One viewpoint is that, as Android increasingly establishes itself as a gaming platforms, games will exercise phones to the extent of their power. Just like PCs. Whether that's relevant to you depends on how much of a gamer you are, how much you care to game on your phone, and whether you're happy with simple causal stuff or must need 3D powerhouse.

The other viewpoint is that smartphones have been historically underpowered for what we've wanted to use them up until very recently. That is, even web browsing on a first-gen Android device was a bit sluggish and suboptimal. However with the last generation of 1 GHz 800x480 screen phones, I finally find the web browsing experience to be perfectly adequate and not painful. Flash is a bit slow, but I don't really care about that. Given that these phones do everything else I've ever wanted them to rather adequately, I'm totally happy. For once, I feel like I won't upgrade until either my phone dies or there's no more updates available for it. But I don't feel compelled to just because other faster devices are out.

Or at least, for me I'm far more concerned about other factors of a phone (unlocked, timely upgrades, minimized bugs, etc.) than I am about raw performance and would easily trade it for the others if needed.

ShowTime posted:

Having to code the programs to utilize the dual core snapdragon processor is a good point.
It's not like a console or something where apps have to code for a coprocessor or something. All you have to do to utilize dual core within an app is use multiple threads. Even single-threaded apps can benefit from dual core by having a dedicated core allocated to it, with OS threads and other apps using the other core. Now it might be the case that Android itself isn't optimized (threaded) for multiple cores itself and won't be until Ice Cream Sandwich, but it's not like the second core sits idle either.

Conversely, there will never be an app that won't run because you don't have dual cores. I suppose some might not perform as well on a single core device, but it's not the type of thing that an app can require. Actually I'm not even sure apps can tell if they're running on a dual core device.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 3, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ShowTime posted:

See I never even thought of that, so i'm glad I said something. Having to code the programs to utilize the dual core snapdragon processor is a good point. Another thing I thought of was HTC Sense. I love that UI and my last two phone used it. But, I found myself never really utilizing the 7 screens and an entire button that was on every screen (one of the buttons located next to the curved "phone" button set in the lower middle part of the screen). So that was just wasted space. I loved the widgets, but i'm 99% sure that by now there are widgets for your standard Android UI.

I'm going to think about it some more tonight but I might call tomorrow and see about getting put on a pre-order list for the Nexus.

First, there's no reason to use the Sense launcher when ADW and LauncherPro exist. That goes for Blur and Touchwiz too.

But just because apps aren't multithreaded doesn't mean the OS can't use two cores for simultaneous execution. That allows for lower clock speed per core, lower voltage, and less power consumed over a shorter time.

The Evo 4G was released June 4th running 2.1, by July it was running 2.2. I wouldn't doubt the same happening with the Evo 3D and 2.4. At that point, have two cores should provide a great advantage. Basically, I'm not signing a contract for two years and not getting the very best phone available.

Just my two cents, I'm not telling you the Nexus S is bad, just that it's a bit long in the tooth for a 2 year contract.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
I had the choice between the Samsung Moment and Evo 4G last upgrade I made (from an HTC Touchpro). I wanted the slide out keyboard so I went with the moment. It's nice and all but I had a bad day so I ordered the Evo Shift. Is it going to be able to run a new version of android or is it stuck with what it came with like the Moment? It's hard for me to google because it seems like android 2.3 was renamed 2.4 or some such poo poo.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Yessssssssss! Finally got Sprint/Google Voice integration. Wish I had time to mess with it tonight.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

900ftjesus posted:

Just my two cents, I'm not telling you the Nexus S is bad, just that it's a bit long in the tooth for a 2 year contract.

Yes my one problem with the Nexus S. If it had a dual processor I would be all over it. That said the way our family plan falls the parents get a upgrade every year. So I could pick up the Nexus S and get the next big phone of June 2012. But what do I gain from switching to it from a EVO? Better screen, battery life, better style (I like the look and form big time over the EVO), & having a pure Google phone. Just don't know if that is enough to pay $200 for one year.

TiCK posted:

I had the choice between the Samsung Moment and Evo 4G last upgrade I made (from an HTC Touchpro). I wanted the slide out keyboard so I went with the moment. It's nice and all but I had a bad day so I ordered the Evo Shift. Is it going to be able to run a new version of android or is it stuck with what it came with like the Moment? It's hard for me to google because it seems like android 2.3 was renamed 2.4 or some such poo poo.

I am pretty sure all the EVOs are going to Gingerbread this Summer.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 3, 2011

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yessssssssss! Finally got Sprint/Google Voice integration. Wish I had time to mess with it tonight.

Just tonight the button to check eligibility for Sprint integration showed up on my voice account settings page. But when I hit it, I get "Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled."

After calling Sprint, I got bounced around to different tech support people and then ended with the answer "you need to wait for the email to show up". Slamming "check again" has yielded nothing. It saddens me. I'm kind of hoping it lets me tomorrow or something. Has anyone else run into this?

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What did this do, anyway? I have been using Google Voice on my phone since forever. All it seems to have done is make text messages send both over Google Voice AND the native messaging app. Only in the messaging app the messages are scrambled garbage letters.

I was already getting calls to/from my google voice number, sending and receiving texts through google voice. Now everything is the same but I *ALSO* get copies of the texts in the messaging app about 5 mins later that are illegible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TiCK posted:

No guarantees in upgrades ever unless its a Nexus phone is really the general rule. HTC is better about it, but not perfect (see Hero). Either way the Shift is still a good buy (unless you are a super phone user junkie), and even if it doesn't upgrade 2.2 is a much better software platform to be on than 2.1 and should stay relevant for a while.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Basically it makes it so you don't have to run the Google Voice app on your phone. If it's already installed you don't really need to bother.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

No guarantees in upgrades ever unless its a Nexus phone is really the general rule. HTC is better about it, but not perfect (see Hero). Either way the Shift is still a good buy (unless you are a super phone user junkie), and even if it doesn't upgrade 2.2 is a much better software platform to be on than 2.1 and should stay relevant for a while.

2.3 already leaked for the Evo 4G and the Shift is a newer phone. There's very little chance the Shift never gets 2.3.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How thick is the Shift? My E71 was about as slim as an iPhone, and before that I had a crappy Motorola SLVR or whatever for years, so I am pretty spoiled by having a non-bulky phone in my pocket. However giving up the E71's nice keyboard is a saddening prospect.

But giving up Symbian is not. Jesus gently caress what a headache. Looking at other people's smart phones with an actual non-poo poo OS made me feel like I was using Windows 3.1 and watching someone play with Windows 7.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

900ftjesus posted:

2.3 already leaked for the Evo 4G and the Shift is a newer phone. There's very little chance the Shift never gets 2.3.

From what little I've seen, there's really not all that much interesting with 2.3 on the EVO. I'm surprised they didn't at least take the opportunity to update Sense.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you have to do anything with the handset to enable it?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

jeeves posted:

How thick is the Shift? My E71 was about as slim as an iPhone, and before that I had a crappy Motorola SLVR or whatever for years, so I am pretty spoiled by having a non-bulky phone in my pocket. However giving up the E71's nice keyboard is a saddening prospect.

It's thick, much thicker than an iPhone. Sprint doesn't really have any thin smart phones, which kind of sucks for me since I find form factor to be a big selling point personally. The Nexus S isn't too bad though.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
People who ordered the $50 Epic from Radio Shack Online how long is it taking for you guys get a ship status? The one I ordered is still awaiting inventory. I guess they are selling fast with such a low price.

It still confuses me why this phone is $139-$149 everywhere else (even at the Radio Shack store). I will never completely understand why Sprint allows Radio Shack to do this or how Radio Shack makes money off it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CharlesM posted:

Do you have to do anything with the handset to enable it?

Is your question do you have to do something to be invited to the integration, or do you have to do something with the handset after the integration? If it's the latter, all you have to do is sign out of Google Voice and sign back in. Also tweak your settings how you want them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is your question do you have to do something to be invited to the integration, or do you have to do something with the handset after the integration? If it's the latter, all you have to do is sign out of Google Voice and sign back in. Also tweak your settings how you want them.

Latter. Cool.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Did anyone see this? :raise:

http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/sprint-linked-to-data-pricing-strategy-switch-next-week

quote:

Reports suggest US operator Sprint is to perform a u-turn on its data pricing strategy and is set to launch a tiered tariff strategy from May 8. Unconfirmed speculation suggests the carrier will drop its unlimited data offering and begin charging 3GB/month access for US$34.99, 5GB for US$49.99 and 10GB for US$79.99.

Such a move would be significant as Sprint has previously been very vocal in its belief that next-generation networks do not need tiered data tariffs to help relieve network congestion issues. In March CEO Dan Hesse (pictured) appeared in a TV ad that took aim at the industry’s definition of ‘unlimited.’ Sprint’s rivals Verizon and AT&T are moving to such a tiered strategy (based on either download limits or speed limits). However, Hesse appears to have waivered in his stance recently, noting at the CTIA Wireless trade event at the end of March that the operator “may need to have different rate plans” in order to compete effectively in the future. Indeed, he added at the time that “we are monitoring the situation very closely.”

I'm not sure I believe this for two reasons - first, the "unlimited" ad campaign that was just run, and secondly, the whole point of the $10 was to preclude going to this system.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Alman posted:

http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/sprint-linked-to-data-pricing-strategy-switch-next-week

I'm not sure I believe this for two reasons - first, the "unlimited" ad campaign that was just run, and secondly, the whole point of the $10 was to preclude going to this system.

I'm not going to jump to any conclusions just yet. This doesn't sound very legit to me.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

Alman posted:

http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/05/03/sprint-set-to-introduce-tiered-data-for-mobile-broadband-steal/

Engadget is saying it's just for mobile broadband which is a lot more likely.

mtr
May 15, 2008

Alman posted:

This is not for cell phone plans. This is for connection cards, mobile hotspots, tablets, and other data only devices.

I think this price tier is $10 cheaper than the usual price, but you have to have a cell phone with a data plan already.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I saw last night on Android Central that Best Buy is now taking pre-orders for the EVO 3D, but they are not advertising it yet. I guess they are waiting until the Nexus S is released this weekend before going on a marketing blitz. I might drop $50 on one for my wife this week.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

TheBlackMallard posted:

http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/05/03/sprint-set-to-introduce-tiered-data-for-mobile-broadband-steal/

Engadget is saying it's just for mobile broadband which is a lot more likely.

Wow, I'm dumb. I was really :wtf: there for a moment.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
that sucks, I use a blackberry, so I don't use a ton of data and would love a super cheap 3gb option. Last month I used 230mb :(

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

I am pretty sure this is how it is supposed to go.

nate fisher posted:

People who ordered the $50 Epic from Radio Shack Online how long is it taking for you guys get a ship status? The one I ordered is still awaiting inventory. I guess they are selling fast with such a low price.

It still confuses me why this phone is $139-$149 everywhere else (even at the Radio Shack store). I will never completely understand why Sprint allows Radio Shack to do this or how Radio Shack makes money off it.

Yeah, I'm still waiting on my shipping confirmation. When I placed the order on Thursday, it said specifically that it would take 5-7 days for my phone to ship. I'm on day #4 right now. I'm hoping it ships tomorrow so it delivers on Friday and I have the weekend to play with it. We'll see... I'll post here when I get shipping confirmation.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I would hate for those prices to go up like that. I have used 2.5 gb and still have like five days to go in my billing cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Alman posted:

Wow, I'm dumb. I was really :wtf: there for a moment.
The quoted prices don't make sense at all for a data plan add-on, that was my first tip-off that it was probably data cards.

In general though it wouldn't surprise me if Sprint eventually moves to a tiered model. With spectrum there's finite capacity. You can only split a cell so many times before the noise level gets too high. This is fundamental to RF. The only way you can have "truly unlimited" plans is to have an overabundance of spectrum relative to customers who actually use it. Between Verzion, AT&T, and Sprint, Sprint is the most likely to be in this category. But eventually if they get enough subscribers they will run into capacity issues in certain markets. Once that happens, they'll have to choose one of the not so great options: soft-caps/QoS, hard-caps, or usage disincentives (tiered pricing).