Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saga
Aug 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Now you get to learn the sketchiest of motorcycle skills: taking a bike off a rear stand on your own.

"Ohgodisthesidestanddownisitingearisitgoingtorollawayohgodohgod"

How about balancing halfway onto a rear stand while you try to slide jackstands under the peg mounting brackets?

(Because you're too lazy to work out a safer way to unload the swingarm...that's why)

the walkin dude, get a front stand - the kind with a peg that goes into the bottom of the steering stem - you can often get them as a set and that lets you pull the forks and the front wheel with the greatest of ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Now you get to learn the sketchiest of motorcycle skills: taking a bike off a rear stand on your own.

I had a harder time getting it on the stand by myself. Ended up missing a peg and scratching the poo poo out of my swingarm with the stand. Goddamn I was pissed. And now I am again just thinking about it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's not that hard.. especially on an SV that has lots of neat frame to hold on to :) I always did mine by lifting the stand up from the rear, then with it halfway up, holding it with my left hand while standing on the right side of the bike leaning over holding frame on the left side with my right hand..

It sounds complicated as hell but when you see it, it's beautiful.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
drat, I just had to leave my rear stand in a friend's garage with a SV650 on it because he went off to do errands and I didn't want to drop his new (slider-less) bike while I was all by myself.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Putting the bike on the rear stand I just slide the left side of the stand into my left spool with the kickstand down. Then I slowly push the bike to the right while pushing down on the rear stand and making sure the right side is lined up. Works pretty well and I've never dropped a bike doing it.

Taking it off is cake. I just push the bike to the left via tailsection and then pull the rear stand off while still applying pressure. No chance of the bike falling the wrong way or anything.

Lifting the front on the other hand...I've used everything from a mishmash of bricks and cinderblocks to jackstands. It's not particularly fun and I'm amazed I never came home to a bike sitting on its nose. Agree with Saga's sentiment to buy a front stand too.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

When you have a supermoto a standard dirtbike stand under the engine doubles as a front and rear stand. :smug:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

When you have a center stand it doubles as a front and rear stand. :smug:

Fixed

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Fixed

Personally I use a wrench.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The other day on the Ducati I had a mother and a young teenager scream up next to me in 80 MPH section of freeway and give me big happy smiles and the 'do a wheelie' signal.

I was happy to be on a bike that could oblige, momentarily.

I do it for the kids!

The claps and smiles and thumbs up and thanks afterwards: This is one of the things I love the poo poo out of while riding.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Spiffness posted:

The other day on the Ducati I had a mother and a young teenager scream up next to me in 80 MPH section of freeway and give me big happy smiles and the 'do a wheelie' signal.

I was happy to be on a bike that could oblige, momentarily.

You interpret any kind of motion to be the do a wheelie signal, don't you?

Don't you.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

That one finger pointed up means lift the bike up on one wheel, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Any empty parking lot immediately becomes the site of the latest round of the Underground GP.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Riding through the woods and suddenly coming on a nice rock outcropping in the middle of nowhere......that you can ride up!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Any empty parking lot immediately becomes the site of the latest round of the Underground GP.

There's a loop in a back area of a park that used to be military housing but is now abandoned. I've been trying to convince my friends to get midgets and scooters so we can have races, but they don't see the thrill.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

There's a loop in a back area of a park that used to be military housing but is now abandoned. I've been trying to convince my friends to get midgets and scooters so we can have races, but they don't see the thrill.

There's a similar loop by my place. Gonna have to see if I can get to it or not.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

If it becomes a reality, you gotta do figure-8 races around that roundabout, though. More exciting that way.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slim Pickens posted:

If it becomes a reality, you gotta do figure-8 races around that roundabout, though. More exciting that way.

That or a mario kart style jump/overpass.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
#something - The smells! The good and bad, both are awesome.
Also how regular maintenance becomes enjoyable and relaxing after doing major engine repair.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MrZig posted:

Also how regular maintenance becomes enjoyable and relaxing after doing major engine repair.

I think it's pretty enjoyable and relaxing even outside that context. Just a little relaxing maintenance time results pretty directly in a lot of relaxing saddle time.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You people are weird. I loving hate anytime I have to break out the toolbox.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
There's something special about diagnosing a problem and repairing it. The harder it is the better it feels afterwards

and i agree regular maintenance is usually enjoyable and relaxing, especially if you've done it so many times you just grab all the right tools automatically and just do it without thinking

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
My toolboxes are always open in my dad's huge rear end shop at his farm, so it's nice and handy. Drive the bike in, crank the radio, crack a beer and start wrenchin'. It's pretty nice actually, and there's just something about doing an oil change, knowing your bike has fresh blood in it, that makes me feel all warm inside.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Coming up to a mile of backed-up traffic and splitting by all of them. It was a two-lane road, but at certain times you can park in the curbside lane. When the cars are parked, though, it leaves a 3-foot wide gap in the lane. So once I got near parked cars, I just used that lane and rode all the way through the congestion. Heard one horn and I'm sure a lot of people were pretty pissed, but it was a glorious day to be on a motorcycle.

edit: basically like this. The parked cars leave that nice gap.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 3, 2011

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Is splitting legal where you are?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
It doesn't matter if it's legal. People try to kill you all the same.

(not bitter at all)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I love doing those little things that just make the bike more your own. The other day I broke out the 8mm wrench and adjusted the brake and clutch handles to exactly where they feel best to me, spent probably 20 minutes getting them just right. Today I'm gonna lube the clutch cable with some PTFE oil to improve the feel a bit.

It's the small things that make you feel good inside :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'm with you on this. I just do it because I'm poor (relatively) and can't justify paying people to do everything.

I just did a valve clearance check on the CBR, which also required an impromptu cooling system refill (because I couldn't move the radiator enough for clearance without pulling the bottom hose). By the time I got halfway through reassembly, I had just about loving had it (no lunch either mind you). By this you might assume that something went badly pear-shaped, but no, it's just loving tedious.

I'd actually find stuff like this more entertaining to do as a two-person job. Not only could you do it faster (assuming redundant tools) and easier (extra hands and eyes), but it would really break up the tedium of taking A LOT of stuff apart and then putting it all back together.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Coming up to a mile of backed-up traffic and splitting by all of them. It was a two-lane road, but at certain times you can park in the curbside lane. When the cars are parked, though, it leaves a 3-foot wide gap in the lane. So once I got near parked cars, I just used that lane and rode all the way through the congestion. Heard one horn and I'm sure a lot of people were pretty pissed, but it was a glorious day to be on a motorcycle.

edit: basically like this. The parked cars leave that nice gap.

Be extremely careful doing this. Motorcycles can get doored just as easily as bicycles can.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

aventari posted:

especially if you've done it so many times you just grab all the right tools automatically and just do it without thinking

I don't even need tools to do the clutch cable adjustment anymore. Just tighten the lock nut on the adjuster finger tight, it doesn't need to stay fixed long cause I end up adjusting it every couple thousand so the friction point is just right.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Number whatever:

Wearing down my "road feelers". Yamaha was kind enough to equip the floorboards with replaceable skid plates. I'll need to replace those one of these days. Maybe something that produces sparks when I hit.

Roundabouts are fun.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The different and interesting odors

The changes in ambient temperature

A little wheel spin when gassing it

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Zool posted:

Accelerating to 14k rpm in a tunnel

Mine taps out at 6600 but I know what you are saying. A pair of 650cc pumps is a fun thing to rev out. ESPECIALLY IN A TUNNEL.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 4, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

aventari posted:

Is splitting legal where you are?

That isn't lane splitting so it doesn't matter, but my guess is no, regardless

SlightlyMadman posted:

Be extremely careful doing this. Motorcycles can get doored just as easily as bicycles can.

This is true. That said, there are places in Ohio where I can do the same thing. Doubly so in the area when there is a Xavier basketball game. Everyone backs up and I slip by.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Going by a field of cows, revving the engine and watching them scatter.

I am such a child.

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
1. The biker nod. It makes me love life every time.
2. Little kids waving at me. Also makes me love life every time.
3. Swerving around straight roads by putting pressure on the handlebars. I'm still a new rider so I love doing this.
4. Going around tight corners, with my bike+body doing everything my brain is saying I shouldn't be doing. I know this one wont last very long, once I get used to it, so I may as well enjoy it while it lasts.
5. Singing to myself while riding. I'm so bad at singing but its not like anyone can hear me :smug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The freedom.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

Splittan traffic like a boss

The last time that I did this, I got to the intersection only to discover cops directing traffic. I got to sit for 5 minutes and have a nice chat with an officer about why I shouldn't do that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not something I do that often, it just happened to be special circumstances and drat was I feeling smug afterward.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

nsaP posted:

That isn't lane splitting so it doesn't matter, but my guess is no, regardless

Didn't say it was lane splitting, I was asking because people honked at him. If that was California nobody would care because we ride anywhere we want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

PokeJoe posted:

The freedom.

You know what's sad? I own that shirt. (As does Marv Hushman)

-I love Motorcycle parking at work. (HA HA I GET TO PARK NEXT TO THE BUILDING!)

-The rush of cool air in my face before I slam the face shield down.

-Riding in 1st gear at 14,000 RPM's just to be more annoying then the Corvette with a Magnaflow exhaust.

-Leaving said Corvette in the dust

-Looking at my helmet on my desk and thinking, "Awww yeah I'm riding home later. Muwhahahaha"

• Locked thread