Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

La Croux posted:

I think I might have to join the cavernous vagina club. I've read that the Diva Cups are one of the longest, and it still gets lost, anyone else having this?
(Again sorry if it's been answered, I'm just kinda carrying on from my last post.)

Not only am I a member...

Nothing like waking up with back spasms (old injury) and a cup that's migrated so far I can't even touch the loving tab. A couple of times I had to say screw it and wait til my back loosened up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

La Croux posted:

In regards to the clogged holes, I think they're talking about when they can't get to a sink, like in a public washroom for example.
I think a clean saftey pin would be fine! Just keep it in your Divabag :)

Yeah, I think I might take a safety pin around with me. :) Along with an emergency pantyliner for those "gently caress IT it won't stop leaking" moments. Haven't had too many of those, luckily, but you never know...

La Croux posted:

I think I might have to join the cavernous vagina club. I've read that the Diva Cups are one of the longest, and it still gets lost, anyone else having this?
(Again sorry if it's been answered, I'm just kinda carrying on from my last post.)

In this club, too. I've gotten a bit better at doing a combination of pushing and feeling around for it, but when I really can't find it, what works best is squatting completely down to the floor and pushing. Then, once I get a hold of the cup I sort of...awkwardly move over to sit on the toilet to remove it. I'm sure I look like an absolutely insane person. Also, please do this in your home bathroom, not in public.

La Croux
May 10, 2007

Proud member since 2010 <3

sarah synonymous posted:

In this club, too. I've gotten a bit better at doing a combination of pushing and feeling around for it, but when I really can't find it, what works best is squatting completely down to the floor and pushing. Then, once I get a hold of the cup I sort of...awkwardly move over to sit on the toilet to remove it. I'm sure I look like an absolutely insane person. Also, please do this in your home bathroom, not in public.

Bah ha.
I've just taken to taking out in the shower. I find the best way is to squat, but kinda, tilt my pelvis up, and squeeze like a mother. I find that it's usually on an angle so that makes it even more awkward. I guess we're not really putting this in a good light, are we?!
On the bright side, it's starting to get easier now that I have a system. I guess the best thing really is to measure. I read the measuring chart, and couldn't feel my cervix at all, so I thought the Diva would be the best, turns out not. If I'm still having troubles I might try out the Keeper, I think that's the longer one.
Has anyone used this one?

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I feel pretty weird asking this question, but does anyone else's cup have a tendency to lean a certain direction? Like, it goes in straight, but then the tip drifts to point a certain direction every time...?

edit: and by overusing "certain," I meant the same direction every time--I'm just unable to say that, apparently. :doh:

Niemat fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 27, 2011

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

Niemat posted:

I feel pretty weird asking this question, but does anyone else's cup have a tendency to lean a certain direction? Like, it goes in straight, but then the tip drifts to point a certain direction every time...?

edit: and by overusing "certain," I meant the same direction every time--I'm just unable to say that, apparently. :doh:

I was just thinking about this earlier today! Mine definitely points more in one direction than the other. It isn't leaking or anything, so I don't think it's a placement issue. Anatomy is weird!

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Anyone tried the large Fleur? I'm thinking of getting one to deal with the old buckets'o'blood days and it seems shorter than other high capacity cups.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
How comfortable are these compared to tampons? Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I've always used sanitary towels because I can't fit tampons in there. I always just tighten up and it feels horribly painful, so I have to give up and just keep using towels. :sigh:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

For me they're way more comfortable than tampons. I didn't know it at the time, but now that I've been using a cup for a while, I realize it's because I have a short vagina. The tampon wouldn't fit all the way up as far as it needed to go, so I could always feel it and it was not a good time. With the cup, once I get it in there, I don't feel it anymore.

Unless you're saying insertion is the problem. Inserting (and removing) a cup takes a bit more doing than with a tampon. Even if you fold the cup down so it's tiny, you still need to be able to fit a finger or two in there to push it in and make sure everything's where it's supposed to be. So if you tense up so much during insertion that you can't even insert a tampon...

On the other hand, tampons are dry and absorbent suck up moisture the whole time you're trying to get it in there, so sometimes they want to stick to your vaginal walls and that can be really uncomfortable. Cups don't have this problem.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Stottie Kyek posted:

How comfortable are these compared to tampons? Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I've always used sanitary towels because I can't fit tampons in there. I always just tighten up and it feels horribly painful, so I have to give up and just keep using towels. :sigh:

For me, about ten thousand times more comfortable. Tampons were always a bitch going in, and I'd tighten up too. But even worse was that tampons would stop my flow almost entirely, so when I would remove them, it would be all dry in there...that loving hurt like hell. Neither has happened with my DivaCup though!

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 28, 2011

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Stottie Kyek posted:

For me, it takes a couple of insertions of the cup at the beginning of my period to get it all loosened up so putting the cup in and taking it out is no big deal, but it's worth it. If you have sort of a narrow opening as well, you might have to wiggle the cup around and feel around down there (while relaxed!) to sort of maneuver it in and out a few times to get everything used to the cup before you first use it. But, if you do decide to get a cup and it doesn't go in right away, don't give up on your first attempt like I nearly did! The payoff is worth the extra effort!

I'm also backing up Fire In The Disco and Julet Esqu and saying a cup is DEFINITELY more comfortable than a tampon! I'm someone who never really had problems with using tampons, but I can totally tell when I have a tampon in now after using my Diva Cup.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

N'thing the 'this poo poo is more comfortable than a tampon' group, because it is. It's soft, springy and I feel better even off my period than I did while I was using tampons.

You do have to get used to the feeling of the thing popping out into you, though. That's.. er. unusual the first few times.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
So. Trip report. Having used the cup for two months with more or less great success, I decided to take it along for my great East African trip. Now, the lady who makes the brand of cup I have seems to want to raise funds to provide these to poor women without water and sanitation, so obviously I figure that it must be ideal for those circumstances. But I did not think things through.

After arriving, my girlfriend (who's a big cup fan) told me that she sticks to tampons there since there's hardly ever running water, working toilets are rare, everything is filthy and things are best kept disposable. I decided to do the same, but for some reason I tried the first maybe two days or so with the cup. It worked fine and didn't really leak or anything, but removing, emptying and cleaning the drat thing was literally a bloody nightmare. I overcame it by carrying around pockets of paper serviettes and thank god for oversized water bottles. Anyway, never again, it was really stressful. Well, I don't know about never, maybe next time I will be psychologically prepared.

Oh god, when I think of the YMCA in Arusha...the HORRROR

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.
So, my cup I ordered a week and a half ago isn't here yet, and my period is starting any minute!! Good thing I walked down the feminine aisle at Walmart today and noticed they now stock Instead soft-cups!!

At least I'll have something to use and get used to crammin in my vag until my LadyCup gets here!!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I don't know much about the LadyCup, but when I look at their website, it looks like a traditional reusable cup to me. The Insteads though, from what I hear, are more like diaphragms in shape. So I would say that if you find you don't like the Insteads, don't give up hope as they aren't really similar.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I have no one else to tell this, so I am telling you all. I hope the next new cup brand OR the generic term becomes "Coochie Catcher." :3:

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I have no one else to tell this, so I am telling you all. I hope the next new cup brand OR the generic term becomes "Coochie Catcher." :3:

I'd totally buy that brand! I am also partial to Fionnoula's boyfriends terms- "twat glass" and "vag plug" :D

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

Fire In The Disco posted:

I don't know much about the LadyCup, but when I look at their website, it looks like a traditional reusable cup to me. The Insteads though, from what I hear, are more like diaphragms in shape. So I would say that if you find you don't like the Insteads, don't give up hope as they aren't really similar.

Oh yeah, the insteads go in sideways! I knew they were different, but wanted to get past the mental block of shoving weird plastic things and multiple fingers up there while I'm unaroused!

After using the instead overnight, I have a new concern! I was so certain that my vagina was very short! It trys to push out tampons, and I can feel my cervix about 45 mm in. So I bought one of the shortest cups available and assumed I would need to remove the stem. But the insteads fit!!! And they are like 90 mm long!! And the rim wasn't even right at the opening, it was a couple centimeters in!

So I guess my vagina is a tardis! And I'm scared now that my little LadyCup is going to get lost in my apparently cavernous vagina!? I know the stem will make it longer, but how the hell will I be able to break the seal if it's that deep and the cup is so short!?

Vaginas are weird.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Basically you'll want to bear down, and push it down first, then grasp the stem and go from there.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Mushinronsha posted:

So I guess my vagina is a tardis! And I'm scared now that my little LadyCup is going to get lost in my apparently cavernous vagina!? I know the stem will make it longer, but how the hell will I be able to break the seal if it's that deep and the cup is so short!?

Vaginas are weird.

This made me giggle like a madman but it might be more due to the fact it's a stretchy and flexible thing the ole vag. I have a ladycup and ended up trimming only half the stem off. The half that is left is more than ample to grab it when need be and short enough that it hides away nicely when 'in'. The technique just takes practice and trimming little bits off until you have a nice length that works for you.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Bought mine, works like a charm.

It feels like I've joined a cult or something :tinfoil:

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Bought mine, works like a charm.

It feels like I've joined a cult or something :tinfoil:

How better to collect blood for the blood god? :devil:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It always feels so awesome to dump a full cup into the toilet, like i've made some sort of offering to the period gods.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
They say it's a cool idea to dump your period blood onto your rose bushes or polyanthus or whatever. Which sounds awesome, but the logistics escape me. How do you get the full mooncup outside without spilling it everywhere and without you leaking everywhere. Have a seperate collection bowl in the loo? :psyduck:

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
Menstrual cups already have too much of a reputation that only hippies and wiccans use them, I think dumping period blood into your garden would only make that worse.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I was told not to put meat in the compost because it attracts European wasps. The last thing we need is gardens full of wasps who now have a taste for human blood!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
Holy poo poo. I know what my nightmares will be tonight!

When we lived in Germany, the Popeye's chicken place on base in Hanau had a HUGE European wasp problem around their dumpster. Which was directly beside the drive thru. That made for some very interesting times. I had forgotten all about that until this very moment! Thanks so much.

While I'm sure the blood is awesome for the plants, and I don't personally see anything wrong with it per se... I definitely have to agree with tse. I mean, have you ever tried to even talk to someone who isn't from the internet about the cup? It doesn't go well at all. I can't even imagine how it would go if I was caught dumping blood on my rose garden. I'm pretty sure I'd be burned at the stake.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Do those of us who, er, flow more heavily, need a bigger one or just to check it more often?

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

My small LadyCup got here today!!

I looks really cute and tiny until you try to put it up your vagina! I've tried the c fold and the punch down fold and I have not gotten it in yet :( The punch down fold is working better I think, because it's smaller, but the cup is so small and the top ring so firm, that it's hard to hold the fold. So as soon as I get a little bit in it starts popping open! And it has such a loud and scary pop!

Help?!

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Mushinronsha posted:

I looks really cute and tiny until you try to put it up your vagina! I've tried the c fold and the punch down fold and I have not gotten it in yet :( The punch down fold is working better I think, because it's smaller, but the cup is so small and the top ring so firm, that it's hard to hold the fold. So as soon as I get a little bit in it starts popping open! And it has such a loud and scary pop!

Help?!

It's just a case of practice till you find the way that works. I do the fold where you push one side in then fold the other sides over the top, that brand of cup is stiff enough to pop out even with pretty tight folds I find. Plus it seems to me the first time is always harder (lol) and it gets easier as you get used to it and learn to reeelllaaaax those muscles!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Mushinronsha posted:

Help?!

As long as it's rated for boiling to clean it, if you boil it first it should soften up. But I think overall, there's just a learning curve. The first time I tried to use my cup I was like, "no loving way is this going to work." But after a few tries, it got a lot easier and more natural to insert.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Astrofig posted:

Do those of us who, er, flow more heavily, need a bigger one or just to check it more often?

You can do either of those. They don't make cups that are specifically for heavy periods or anything, but some of them do have larger capacities than the others.

I use my small Divacup for heavy days and my medium Meluna for my lightest days.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Potentially both. Just make sure that when you're determining the size you want, it's the length that you should experiment with more than the width. The really wide cups may well hold more, but they're designed for women who have given birth and might not fit right or be so comfortable for other women.

If you're like most women, a Diva Cup (the longest cup) will fit you just fine, but some of us have shorter vaginas and have to turn the Diva inside out to wear it comfortably. This can reduce capacity and would mean you'd have to empty it more often, but I think a proper fit is more important.

When you're first starting with the cup I think you're probably going to be checking it more anyway, though, until you get used to knowing how long you can go. :)

Mushinronsha posted:

Help?!

Maybe try the origami fold? It's the one I prefer and I find it makes the cup relatively tiny going in. This thread has a few folds, including the origami fold.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Astrofig posted:

I'd say bigger one unless you like emptying it every hour or less.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
I've got the gift of an alarmingly heavy flow. I've only ever used a Diva Cup, so I don't know how the cups compare in regards to flow. Plus mine is inside out, so its capacity is slightly reduced.

For the Diva Cup, here's how my dumping breaks down:

Day one: Dump every 12 hours
Day two: Dump every 3-4 hours
Day three: Dump about every 2 hours
Day four: Dump about every 2-3 hours
Day five: Dump about every 4-6 hours
Day six: Dump once at ~24 hours (because I usually forget it)

When it is completely full, you can feel it. It gets heavy and you notice it. If it isn't full, you can't (and shouldn't) feel it at all if inserted properly. When I first started using it, I was dumping it every time I peed because I had no idea what I was doing. That can get you pretty sore really fast. You will learn when it's time to dump it.

It says you should dump at a minimum every 12 hours, but I routinely leave it in longer than that on my first and last days and nothing bad has happened.

Also, I'm partial to the 7 fold. It seems to open itself after insertion the best for me.

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

OMG! I have to leave for work in 13 minutes, and I absolutely can NOT get this cup out :(

I've done it a couple times before, but I think I didn't have the suction right, because I just pulled on the stem, and it came out pretty easy.

I can not break the seal! I can't reach the rim with my finger, and I can't reach the cup with 2 fingers.

I can get 1 finger down the side of the cup, and I can get 2 on the stem. I just shoved kitchen utensils up there trying to break the drat seal, I'm so desperate!! What do I do?!

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Mushinronsha posted:

OMG! I have to leave for work in 13 minutes, and I absolutely can NOT get this cup out :(

I've done it a couple times before, but I think I didn't have the suction right, because I just pulled on the stem, and it came out pretty easy.

I can not break the seal! I can't reach the rim with my finger, and I can't reach the cup with 2 fingers.

I can get 1 finger down the side of the cup, and I can get 2 on the stem. I just shoved kitchen utensils up there trying to break the drat seal, I'm so desperate!! What do I do?!

Wait? As they get full they naturally kinda....shift downward. Unless you have immediate reasons for having it out, there's no real big concern.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Mushinronsha posted:

Are you bearing down on it with your muscles to get it lower?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Mushinronsha posted:

a. Stop freaking out. Tensing up is the opposite of what you need.

b. Put on a pad and leave the cup in. Worst case, it leaks and the pad catches it.

c. Work on your muscle control (long term goal, obviously). While reaching for the cup, bear down until you feel the stem get closer. Grab the stem and hang on, then bear down again. You only need to get the cup to where you can get two fingers on the bottom of the cup itself above the stem - pinch the base and the suction will release. Bearing down and grabbing didn't quite work when I freaked out, but once I was calm, I quickly got the hang of it.

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

So, I ended up leaving it in and going to work with a pad on in case of leaks. It's now been in for 24 hours, so I really hope I can get it out soon. I am pushing, but I will drink some wine to clam down and push some more! I think I will need to buy a longer one, if I ever get this one out.

Edit: Thank gods, it's out!! It had dropped a little more since this morning so I guess on my light days I should change every 24 hours, instead of every 12? BUT, if my period had ended today, that means it would have totally been stuck in there until next month! Right?! Do I need to buy a new longer cup for that reason or can I make this one work?

Edit #2: I really hope that no one is discouraged from trying a cup from reading my posts! I am totally on the cup bandwagon, and even though I'm having problems, I am totally down to shove it back up there or try a different cup! I am confident it will be sooo worth it as soon as I figure this out.

Mushinronsha fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Can you just put the cup lower in your vagina in the first place?

I had a similar problem when I first got my MeLuna, I was afraid I'd never get that stupid thing out the first time I used it. I've tried to position it as low as is comfortable whenever I insert it now, and haven't had trouble since!

• Locked thread