Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Kekekela posted:

I wish I had them back now for a reread but figure it gives me an excuse to pick up the kindle versions (if they exist)

They do! And they are a big reason why I just bought a Kindle!

I read the first two books, looked at the size of the rest of the series and went "poo poo I really don't have room on by bookshelves for another 10 book series comprised of 1000 page books"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Levitate posted:

They do! And they are a big reason why I just bought a Kindle!

I read the first two books, looked at the size of the rest of the series and went "poo poo I really don't have room on by bookshelves for another 10 book series comprised of 1000 page books"

This!

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
I picked up Gardens of the Moon a while ago and quit reading at about the halfway point because I just couldn't slog through all of the incomprehensible world-building stuff. Picked it back up on a whim a few weeks ago and the second half was a lot better about making me actually care about what was happening. I'm on book 5 now and all of the Tiste Edur are assholes and I don't like reading about them.

I guess Karla went from a "this guy deserves to die" rear end in a top hat to a "that was loving cool" rear end in a top hat. Will the Tiste Edur do the same? I don't think I care.

I'm basically just complaining. I guess I'll take a break from the series and come back to it later, I'm probably just burnt out.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Meet Tehol and Bugg and your tune will change to that you don't like the Tiste Edurs because they are taking screen time away from Tehol.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Tiste Edur are worth dealing with solely because without them we don't have Trull Sanger.

And that would be a travesty.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Tell me again about that Tiste Edur with the spear... :allears:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Oh Snapple! posted:

The Tiste Edur are worth dealing with solely because without them we don't have Trull Sanger.

Trull Sengar does things that made me, sitting alone in my apartment reading a book, yell out "gently caress yeah!"

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I liked Fear too :unsmith: and Rhulad more and more through RG :smith:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Meet Tehol and Bugg and your tune will change to that you don't like the Tiste Edurs because they are taking screen time away from Tehol.

This.

There can never be enough Tehol. And I heard Bugg makes the best soup in entire Letheras.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

This.

There can never be enough Tehol. And I heard Bugg makes the best soup in entire Letheras.

And also wool tea.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Junk Science posted:

He lost his spear because a Letherii sailor laughed at him. :snoop:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Junk Science posted:

With the spear...in his hand, or through him?

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

Not skimming the thread for fear of spoiling something awesome so pardon the dumb gently caress question...is there a good summary of books 1 and 2 somewhere? I read them about a year and a half ago and read 100 pages of 3 before I lost interest, but I'm giving it another shot starting on Memories of Ice.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

headshot24 posted:

Not skimming the thread for fear of spoiling something awesome so pardon the dumb gently caress question...is there a good summary of books 1 and 2 somewhere? I read them about a year and a half ago and read 100 pages of 3 before I lost interest, but I'm giving it another shot starting on Memories of Ice.

Not exactly a summary but you can look at Tor.com reread: http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 3, 2011

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

headshot24 posted:

Wikipedia's got decent summaries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardens_of_the_Moon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadhouse_Gates

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

The re-read is exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

headshot24 posted:

To be quite honest, I didn't know half what was going on in 1 and 2 and petered off on 3, and went back and read 1 and 2.. And then 3 made so much more sense and had so much more I gave a poo poo about that it was kind of astounding. :aaa:

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
If you could be a malazan race which race would you be?? I would be a Napan they can punch hard

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

That crazy race of people of that the Emperor and the High Priest of Shadow is from.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
You know who I keep wanting to know more of, and hope they're mentioned at some point in the future? Those crazy strong rear end mages in that faraway nation that could basically gently caress up the entire world, but (can't remember the details) aren't ambitious, don't feel like it. There are three of them, I think. Anyone remember details I'm forgetting?

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

Those crazy strong rear end mages[...]that aren't ambitious, don't feel like it. There are three of them, I think.

I don't think their story would be all that exciting.

The image of Hank Hill and his buddies standing out back drinking beer comes to mind...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
super strong mages that could gently caress up anything? In the Malazan books??!! Surely you jest

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

That crazy race of people of that the Emperor and the High Priest of Shadow is from.

Not every Dal Hon we meet is crazy...

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

You know who I keep wanting to know more of, and hope they're mentioned at some point in the future? Those crazy strong rear end mages in that faraway nation that could basically gently caress up the entire world, but (can't remember the details) aren't ambitious, don't feel like it. There are three of them, I think. Anyone remember details I'm forgetting?

That's the continent of Assail iirc where the three human tyrants rule over it. Unfortunately ICE is the one will is going to write a book about it soooo.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

A Nice Boy posted:

That's the continent of Assail iirc where the three human tyrants rule over it. Unfortunately ICE is the one will is going to write a book about it soooo.

No it's not Assail, it's Shal-Morzinn, on the same continent as Seven Cities, Nemil, the Perish, etc.

"Shal-Morzinn was a kingdom southwest of Nemil which had been ruled by three sorcerer kings for the last thousand years. As a nation they had proven quite formidable and known for annihilating strangers to their land as a matter of course. They traded with no-one. Luckily for surrounding nations, they were not expansionist. " from a wiki. Not that the Malazan world is lacking in world-threatening mages.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hondo82 posted:

No it's not Assail, it's Shal-Morzinn, on the same continent as Seven Cities, Nemil, the Perish, etc.

This was the nation that Tavore's fleet almost stopped at on their way from Malaz City to Lether, right?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Habibi posted:

This was the nation that Tavore's fleet almost stopped at on their way from Malaz City to Lether, right?

Yea, it was either from when the Bonehunters left the Seven Cities continent to go to Malaz City, or from Malaz city to Lether.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 4, 2011

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

There's an Imass POV somewhere about one of them who was part of a failed attack on Shal-Morzinn and was the only marginally successful member of it, as she managed to wound 'The Bearded One' before being ordered to withdraw. I hope that's an official title, not a nickname.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Right, right. I want to know more.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

L.E. Cheetah posted:

If you could be a malazan race which race would you be?? I would be a Napan they can punch hard

I would be a jaghut so I could hang out with the other jaghuts because they are the loving coolest

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

pile of brown posted:

I would be a jaghut so I could hang out with the other jaghuts because they are the loving coolest

"coolest" heh heh.

Jaghut humor.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
cept gothos, dude is a prick

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

pile of brown posted:

Don't Jaghut's avoid hanging out with each other? They're ugly green trolls who're loaners... quite possibly the perfect goon character.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

A Nice Boy posted:

cept gothos, dude is a prick

What happened to Gothos? Didn't Nimander and co come across him in maybe Toll or Dust of Dreams?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

What happened to Gothos? Didn't Nimander and co come across him in maybe Toll or Dust of Dreams?

Wasn't he still at the deadhouse in Malaz when Kalam was waking up at the beginning of TCG? Or maybe I've completely mixed up disparate plot points as usual when I try to recall anything in this series. :downs:

e: Also am about halfway through Abercrombie's "The Heroes", so far I'd highly recommend it to Erickson fans...similar style but much more terse (which I don't mind at all), kind of Malazan meets early Black Company stylewise. Sort of.

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010
This might be a silly/obvious question, but I was wondering where the title Gardens of the Moon comes from?

While reading through it, I kept expecting to see the characters go to Moon's Spawn as I figured Erikson would explore it more, assuming the title was foreshadowing later events. That seemed to be the only reference to a Moon in the book, and I assumed maybe there would be "gardens" on it or some such that were critical to the story.

Looking back on the book as a whole now, I am wondering what relation the title has to the book at all, as I do not see a correlation. Unless he will delve into in one of the subsequent books.

Thoughts?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Heisenator posted:

This might be a silly/obvious question, but I was wondering where the title Gardens of the Moon comes from?

While reading through it, I kept expecting to see the characters go to Moon's Spawn as I figured Erikson would explore it more, assuming the title was foreshadowing later events. That seemed to be the only reference to a Moon in the book, and I assumed maybe there would be "gardens" on it or some such that were critical to the story.

Looking back on the book as a whole now, I am wondering what relation the title has to the book at all, as I do not see a correlation. Unless he will delve into in one of the subsequent books.

Thoughts?

There's a scene in the first book when Crokus takes Apsalar up to the rooftop of a temple in the city. They look at the moon and she mentions some story about gardens on the moon. At least if I'm remembering correctly.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Heisenator posted:

Thoughts?

Apsalar tells Crokus about the underwater gardens on the real moon at the end of chapter 19. Erickson has said "Lots of dreams went into Gardens of the Moon (hence the title, too, and the invented mythos surrounding it)" whatever that means.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Lunchtray posted:

Don't Jaghut's avoid hanging out with each other? They're ugly green trolls who're loaners... quite possibly the perfect goon character.

Didn't they only do this after the Imass started getting uppity, so as to appear like they were less empire-y?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Dead Alice posted:

Didn't they only do this after the Imass started getting uppity, so as to appear like they were less empire-y?

No, they've always been solitary by nature. It's why the T'lan Imass managed to wipe most of them out. Even after they started getting hunted down, they never thought to band together.

They're kind of hippie-ish. They won't band together to fight off a direct threat against themselves, but if there's a big threat against "the world", like a Tyrant or...other things...they'll team up for a while.