Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Kerfuffle posted:

I tell my SO everything though.

Me, too. And bless him, he actually listens and gives a drat even if he probably doesn't want to hear about my period.

He's also pretty calming when I'm running around screaming because I'm 20 seconds late. God, I want my tubes tied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

legsarerequired posted:

Before I got on the depo shot...

This is probably what it is. I've been on depo off and on for between 4 and 5 years, and every time I go off it I drop 12-15lbs with barely any effort. Meanwhile while I'm on it, it's a huge struggle to even maintain my weight at a certain level, never mind lose any. However, I suck at taking pills, so I kept going back to it because nobody would give me an IUD because I haven't popped any babies out yet.

BUT, apparently they've gotten more lenient about that 'recommendation' in my neck of the (Canadian) woods, so I now have an appointment to get a Mirena inserted on Wednesday. Now, I have a fairly high pain tolerance because I used to have some rough as hell periods, but my gyno was really insistent about the fact that insertion will be REALLY PAINFUL. Between a high pain tolerance and 800mg of advil pre-appointment, am I still gonna die? :ohdear:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Fanky Malloons posted:

This is probably what it is. I've been on depo off and on for between 4 and 5 years, and every time I go off it I drop 12-15lbs with barely any effort. Meanwhile while I'm on it, it's a huge struggle to even maintain my weight at a certain level, never mind lose any. However, I suck at taking pills, so I kept going back to it because nobody would give me an IUD because I haven't popped any babies out yet.

BUT, apparently they've gotten more lenient about that 'recommendation' in my neck of the (Canadian) woods, so I now have an appointment to get a Mirena inserted on Wednesday. Now, I have a fairly high pain tolerance because I used to have some rough as hell periods, but my gyno was really insistent about the fact that insertion will be REALLY PAINFUL. Between a high pain tolerance and 800mg of advil pre-appointment, am I still gonna die? :ohdear:

Congratulations on your Mirena~ Good to see doctors finally getting with things elsewhere too. IUD users here just recommend taking some ibuprofen or whatever your preference is before you go in. Based on the trip reports I've read on here over last few years, it does hurt, but it's over with quickly. Good luck! :)

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

Congratulations on your Mirena~ Good to see doctors finally getting with things elsewhere too. IUD users here just recommend taking some ibuprofen or whatever your preference is before you go in. Based on the trip reports I've read on here over last few years, it does hurt, but it's over with quickly. Good luck! :)

Thanks! I picked it up from the pharmacy last week after my consultation because I had no idea how much it was going to cost and didn't want to have to deal with it on the day. It's been sitting on a side table in its box since then. A box which is rather large, I might add - what else is in there beside the IUD?

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Kerfuffle posted:

This is a predominantly female thread. :shobon: I also don't get why couples don't talk more actively about their birth control schedules. I tell my SO everything though.

Some guys dont wanna hear about it.. My ex didnt want to know/hear anything about birth control or my period. :/

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Volcano posted:

I think the chance of Implanon stopping your periods entirely is about 1 in 5; if you're not one of the lucky few, you can expect things to get pretty irregular. Aside from the potential period madness, it's great.

Oh yes. I saw here that it had about 20% chance of stopping the period. Even irregular, light periods don't seem like they'd be too bad, and it'd be really great to just put a thing in and not have to worry about it for 3 years. I'll have a chat with PP about it when I go. Thanks for all the advice, everyone. :)

fully adequite
Dec 13, 2006

Bill Clinton would be willing, if we just ask. If we just ASK.

SPACEMAN SAM posted:

Just a reminder to always take care of your end of birth control. Even if you trust your partner. I had a relationship with a woman I trusted and our method of contraception was the pill, she had ran out, forgotten to pick up more, and then did not inform me of this very important change while we had sex. I found this all out two days ago because she is now five weeks into a pregnancy and I am now going to be a very sad 19 year old dad. My friends and family are pretty ashamed of me. Don't do this.

I've got to say, the tone of this post rubs me the wrong way. But I'll put away my annoying feminist lecture for the time being and just ask the massively loaded question that no one else is asking, is abortion totally out of the question?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Fanky Malloons posted:

Thanks! I picked it up from the pharmacy last week after my consultation because I had no idea how much it was going to cost and didn't want to have to deal with it on the day. It's been sitting on a side table in its box since then. A box which is rather large, I might add - what else is in there beside the IUD?

The pain isn't fun but it's not that terrible either, especially if you are used to bad periods. You can review my comments on my (particularly awful) removal and insertion experience in this thread. Even as bad as that was the pain was gone pretty quickly and the reduction in my periods over the life of the Mirena makes it SOOOOO worth it.

The box contains the sounding device (what they use to measure your uterus before insertion) and the insertion device, each of which are about a foot long. The Mirena itself is quite tiny, promise!

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Ceridwen posted:

The box contains the sounding device (what they use to measure your uterus before insertion) and the insertion device, each of which are about a foot long. The Mirena itself is quite tiny, promise!

Oh, good. I figured it would be something like this, but I didn't want to peek for fear of somehow damaging the packaging and making it not sterile, thus wasting $80, a bus ride, and numerous hours of my life.

I'm actually going shopping tomorrow with a friend of mine who had a Mirena inserted about a year ago, and she's the biggest weiner ever, so if she can handle the pain then I'm sure I'll be fine. Sorry about your removal though, that sounds like it was awful!

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?

Fanky Malloons posted:

Insertion (for Paragard) was pretty painful for me, but it was quick pain. There were three nonconsecutive moments of "swear at the nurse" level pain that were no more than 20 second each. The nice thing was that the pain wasn't lingering - at soon as she was done with whatever caused it, it faded away. After it was all over, I felt totally fine. I'm not going to lie, it hurts, but after having an IUD I can tell you it was totally worth it for me. I would do it again today if need be. The whole procedure was about five minutes, tops.

I know they're all about the cervix being soft and open for the procedure, but I didn't think that was really the source of the pain. It felt more uterine, if that makes sense. I definitely felt the sounding and the placing of the IUD up against the top of the uterus.

Ask your provider to tuck your strings up around your cervix when he or she trims them. Mine did and it's awesome. They don't hang down and they never move, so checking them is super easy.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
On second thought I really don't want to contribute to a derail in a really awesome and informative thread. Sorry about that.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 2, 2011

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

DRP Solved! posted:

Good on you for getting trashy foods out of your diet! In addition to quality of food, quantity can play a big role in your weight. How much (ballpark calories) do you generally eat in a day?

I haven't really noticed any changes in my appetite, but that could be a factor.

(EDIT: Also, this is really embarrassing to admit, but since sharing experiences is pretty important in this thread... You probably shouldn't trust my perception of appetite. I've always been a really bad comfort snacker, and when I gain weight I tend to be snacking on chips or carrots or stuff constantly. I stop this habit when I concentrate on dieting (or at least chew gum instead), but I guess my point is that I'm not the best person to discuss appetite with because when I gain weight it's usually because I'm eating to soothe stress or anxiety or whatever, not because I'm actually hungry and need food.)

I initially had a lot about my diet and stuff in here, but y'all are right, it really belongs in W&W. In the mean time, I think get off depo and on to the pill when it's time for my shot in June, because the studies about bone loss were making me kind of nervous anyway.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 3, 2011

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

legsarerequired posted:

I haven't really noticed any changes in my appetite, but that could be a factor.

I initially had a lot about my diet and stuff in here, but y'all are right, it really belongs in W&W. In the mean time, I think get off depo and on to the pill when it's time for my shot in June, because the studies about bone loss were making me kind of nervous anyway.

I know that it probably doesn't matter at this point, but you shouldn't be too concerned about the bone loss with Depo. It has not been proven that Depo causes any increased risk of osteoporosis, and the bone mineral density loss is completely reversible after discontinuing. Really, as long as you're not using the Depo while you're 70 years old, it shouldn't be a problem. :) Good luck with the pill and feel free to continue asking questions in this thread if you have 'em!

Ho0Ly
Oct 24, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I got my Paragard put in today. Still a little sore from it, but the heating pad is helping a lot. The procedure took maybe 20 minutes for me, which included a small blood test for iron, some waiting patiently, and then the measuring, which was the most painful bit. At first it didn't seem like the measuring thingie would fit, and they started to ask me what my back-up option might be, but then she got it to fit. It hurt quite a bit, and then I waited for her to put the IUD in, expecting it to hurt again, and then she went "alright just cutting the strings now" and I was surprised it was all done- I didn't feel the Paragard go in at all. Now I just have some cramps and lots of rest ahead of me.

I do have a question though. The PP website says it's ok to have sex as soon as you want after having it put in, but one of the nurses said I should wait a week or so, but maybe she was thinking of the Mirena. So how long should I wait?

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I don't understand why some of these doctor's offices can't offer some nitrous or something similar for these IUDs. Dental offices offer it for cleanings and fillings, so I'm surprised that I haven't heard of a gynecologist's office offering it for people needing IUDs.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Ho0Ly posted:

I do have a question though. The PP website says it's ok to have sex as soon as you want after having it put in, but one of the nurses said I should wait a week or so, but maybe she was thinking of the Mirena. So how long should I wait?

You can have sex now if you want, granted that you actually feel up to it!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

legsarerequired posted:

I don't understand why some of these doctor's offices can't offer some nitrous or something similar for these IUDs. Dental offices offer it for cleanings and fillings, so I'm surprised that I haven't heard of a gynecologist's office offering it for people needing IUDs.

Jesus some nitrous would have been great. I think most of the pain comes from tensing up. My doctor said I did great because I just did some yoga breathing and zoned out while she was using the dilators. The pain when my boyfriend drove me home was wicked though. Every bump in the car was like being stabbed in the hooha. Everything is awesome now though! 6 months in and loving my paragard.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

legsarerequired posted:

You know, for whatever reason, using gas fell out of practice in the US for medical stuff. There's been a bit of a push to bring it back to hospitals for laboring women; I guess in the UK it's super common and often used as an alternative to getting an epidural, if the woman wants just a little pain relief rather than a completely numb lower body. Hopefully that push is successful and in upcoming years we'll see nitrous back in doctor's offices and hospitals.

Ho0Ly
Oct 24, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I just felt my IUD strings, and they feel a bit longer than I expected. She didn't have me feel them while I was there, so I honestly don't know how long they're supposed to be, but it feels like if I were to straighten them they'd be hanging out of me .. is that normal? I kinda figured they'd be long enough to feel, but not long enough to sort of get in the way. I don't want to bump them and cause it to shake free or something :v: Someone please reassure me...

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

Ho0Ly posted:

When I had my copper IUD inserted, the doctor said to wait 74 hours before sticking anything up there - tampons, dick etc. I don't know if they are particularity worried about it getting dislodged or infected, I think it's probably just to give your cervix a break after all that prodding.

My doc called the measuring 'knocking on the door' :gonk: definitely worse than the insertion. Needle in the cervix was the worst part though, since they had to numb mine to get it to open. Despite all that, the copper iud is awesome and I love the feeling of security it gives me instead of getting kind of crazy and paranoid each period.

Ho0Ly
Oct 24, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Moto Punch posted:

When I had my copper IUD inserted, the doctor said to wait 74 hours before sticking anything up there - tampons, dick etc. I don't know if they are particularity worried about it getting dislodged or infected, I think it's probably just to give your cervix a break after all that prodding.

My doc called the measuring 'knocking on the door' :gonk: definitely worse than the insertion. Needle in the cervix was the worst part though, since they had to numb mine to get it to open. Despite all that, the copper iud is awesome and I love the feeling of security it gives me instead of getting kind of crazy and paranoid each period.

I tried to time my appointment to line up with my period, but my period ended up coming a few days early, so today's appointment was at the tail end of the period. And now I'm bleeding all over again, so it's like an extended period... Yay? Still kinda worried about the strings, and I wish she'd had me check them before I left just so I'd know :(

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Fire In The Disco posted:

You know, for whatever reason, using gas fell out of practice in the US for medical stuff. There's been a bit of a push to bring it back to hospitals for laboring women; I guess in the UK it's super common and often used as an alternative to getting an epidural, if the woman wants just a little pain relief rather than a completely numb lower body. Hopefully that push is successful and in upcoming years we'll see nitrous back in doctor's offices and hospitals.

Oh my goodness, imagine if you could have some nitrous during a regular well woman's check-up. I know those aren't as painful as a dental filling, but that would certainly make it easier for me to relax...

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Ho0Ly posted:

I tried to time my appointment to line up with my period, but my period ended up coming a few days early, so today's appointment was at the tail end of the period. And now I'm bleeding all over again, so it's like an extended period... Yay? Still kinda worried about the strings, and I wish she'd had me check them before I left just so I'd know :(

My strings were quite long, but I liked it this way rather than too short. They'll soften up after a few days in you and for me I was able to curl up and lodge them behind my cervix where it's very hard to reach. They never really fell down, I checked whenever I changed my cup at first then realize they were staying put curled up behind that bump so I wasn't paranoid about it anymore. It's better than too short cuz then those can't be tucked away and will just poke your partner or always get in your cup or tampon or whatever's way.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

I got my Mirena inserted today - hoooly poo poo, it hurt like a motherfucker even though I took 800mg of Advil about an hour beforehand. I just kept trying to breathe as deeply as possible while telling myself that the pain is over quickly, which it thankfully was. Mentally, I was okay with the pain, but I think my body went into shock a little bit. I felt faint when I sat up and spent about half an hour periodically breaking out in a sweat, which was weird.

I felt like death on the bus home, though I think it's more because I'm not used to the feeling of cramping anymore having not had periods for so long on the Depo. Anyway, I lay down for a few hours and one of my cats graciously offered his services as a hot water bottle and now I feel pretty fine, especially when I consider the fact that I am essentially baby-proof for the next five years, aw yeah.

Also, I asked my doctor about checking for the strings and he just waved it off and said "Oh, no-one actually does that, don't worry about it. They'll probably curl up around your cervix after a while and you won't be able to feel them anyway."
Is he right? Should I be checking for them anyway?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Mine are curled up around my cervix but I have a super short vagina so I can feel them just fine.

I'm surprised the doctor let you stand up. Mine has been doing IUD insertions for a really long time and is a midwife so she was like "Wait a sec" and actually kept a hand on my arm when I got up. She was like "Oh yah alot of women faint or feel really sick when they sit up right after so I make most of my patients wait"

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Tigntink posted:

Mine are curled up around my cervix but I have a super short vagina so I can feel them just fine.

I'm surprised the doctor let you stand up. Mine has been doing IUD insertions for a really long time and is a midwife so she was like "Wait a sec" and actually kept a hand on my arm when I got up. She was like "Oh yah alot of women faint or feel really sick when they sit up right after so I make most of my patients wait"

Yea, apparently vasovagal reactions aren't that uncommon. I had one about 20 minutes after my paragard insertion with full on vomiting and almost fainting, when I was trying to check out. Super exciting, especially since the insertion itself wasn't bad at all. The doctor almost took it out because I wasn't improving at first, but luckily I got better before she actually removed it.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

Spider Chipmunk posted:

Vasovagal reactions

Uggh, I had one of those when I had blood work done last summer. It was really early in the morning, I hadn't eaten yet and the nurse just couldn't find a vein that would give blood so she kept poking around in there :gonk:.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

A few people have posted:

vasovagal reactions

Hey, me too, post-Mirena. I never actually threw up or passed out but I was close to it, so I'm glad I didn't have to clear out of the exam/insertion room until I was ready to stand up. Then they gave me juice, which helped. :v:

Of course, when I sprained my knee recently, I had to lie very still on the floor until the nausea/dizziness passed, so from this I have learned that

a) pain = nausea

b) I'm kind of a wimp.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Just to clarify, the doctor made me sit up to see how I was feeling, but told me not to stand up right away because it makes people feel faint. I took a peek at the consumer information later and it said that insertion can trigger seizures in women with epilepsy, so I guess they know to be careful with you afterwards. In fact, I usually get a twitch in one of my eyes when I'm super stressed or tired, and at one point both my eyes were going nuts - I must have looked like a crazy person. Also I sweated so much during insertion that the paper on the table stuck to me and my shirt was sticking to my back.

Also, is it weird that I kind of want to poke around in there and feel my strings? Not out of concern or anything, I'm just curious. I'll probably leave it for a few days, until my cervix doesn't think it got punched anymore, but still.

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green
I have some Implanon questions for the thread; I feel like I asked some in the first thread, but I have more now!

First, when I went to the gyno a few months ago and asked her about Implanon, she actually said that she "wasn't allowed to insert them anymore" because of the frequency of patients with bleeding issues? What? That seems kind of ridiculous. Especially since she was all about IUDs, and Paraguards seem to cause irregular bleeding, too...

I ended up getting some progestin-only pills from her (I can't do estrogen, aura migraines/blood pressure issues), and they were horrible. I'm already predisposed to depression, and they sent me off a cliff; I was actually suicidal on them, and I've NEVER felt that before. Two days after I threw the pack in the trash can, I was fine.

Will this be a concern with Implanon? I know you can't predict your reaction to a birth control method, but are mood issues less likely? I know side effects from Implanon are generally supposed to be milder, but I'm really scared of potentially being suicidal again. :( Especially since it's a bit harder to stop Implanon's effects than just throwing away some pills.

Edit: Forgot to add, I'd prefer Implanon over IUD because of the estrogen in Mirena, and I have bad metal allergies which I've heard can cause issues with the Paraguard.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Maybe she "wasn't allowed" by her practice or insurer or something if they didn't think it was cost-effective? Implanon is definitely still FDA-approved.

I can't guarantee mood issues, obviously, and suicidal thoughts are serious enough that I wouldn't want to experiment. Removal is easy and quick, but making an appointment isn't as immediate as throwing away your pills.

I personally haven't had major issues on Implanon. It did/does make it easier for me to cry, but it doesn't make me any more upset; tears just start coming from my eyes at a lower level of upset-ness. Anecdotally, I've heard that mood issues may be a bit less likely since it's a steady, constant dose (not even a 24-hour up-and-down cycle like pills). However, suicide is serious enough that I wouldn't just go out and give it a shot.

Separately -- Jesus, I hate to dissuade people from Implanon, because my first one was so fantastic. As a birth control, I still love Implanon, but my new implant is killing me. It was inserted poorly, it's way too shallow, and in the last 10 days it hasn't moved deeper at all. A dozen times a day, it catches on my shirt and it's crazy stabbing pain. The same pain wakes me up every time I roll over -- just about hourly, every night. I told myself I'd give it a month to calm down and hopefully move deeper, but I'm seriously not sure I can make it.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

sarah synonymous posted:

Will this be a concern with Implanon? I know you can't predict your reaction to a birth control method, but are mood issues less likely? I know side effects from Implanon are generally supposed to be milder, but I'm really scared of potentially being suicidal again. :( Especially since it's a bit harder to stop Implanon's effects than just throwing away some pills.

If you've found that you've had such a serious reaction the the progestin-only pill, I would be careful about the Implanon, since it contains a very similar progestin as the one in the pill.

quote:

Edit: Forgot to add, I'd prefer Implanon over IUD because of the estrogen in Mirena, and I have bad metal allergies which I've heard can cause issues with the Paraguard.

There is no estrogen in Mirena, it only contains a progestin.

Given your inability to take estrogen-containing birth control, your metal allergy, and your prior reaction to the POP, I would not consider the Implanon to be the wisest choice. Yours is a rare case where I would suggest sticking to non-hormonal birth control such as a condom + diaphragm, possibly combined with the sympto-thermal method.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
You have to take a class or whatever to be allowed to put them in. My gyno wasn't certified so I went to PP. I can't image that once you learn how you'd be unallowed though, that's weird. Since you've tried progestin-only pills before and they didn't work, I'm not sure Implanon will work for you either. Ask your gyno what she thinks, even if she can't put it in. You're allowed to see other doctors too, so keep that in mind.

Anne, can you take a picture of it? It won't, or shouldn't, move deeper. That's the whole reason why implants work and are safe, they don't migrate around your body. Mine took a few months to get used to, especially holding things and leaning on things. But it never caught on my shirt??

Here's mine. I'm pulling the skin taught on the counter so it stands out a bit more but that's pretty close to how it looks when I hold my arm out straight.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Several pages back I posted my account of my first month of Implanon. Summarized, it was absolute hell and if you have a history of going off the deep end with progestin then Implanon will only do it to you worse. When it's first inserted, there is a very large surge in your system that takes awhile to even out. It will make you crazy.

I suggest Mirena frankly. IIRC they don't have metal in them and they release a minute amount of progestin, less than any other progestin-only method. I have been completely fine with mine.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

sarah synonymous posted:

I have metal issues and my Mirena is just fine for me. It's all plastic.

The thing about the Paraguard might be just :tinfoil: but I'm okay with being a little paranoid about putting stuff in my uterus.

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green
Thank you for all the input, ladies.

DRP Solved! posted:

Given your inability to take estrogen-containing birth control, your metal allergy, and your prior reaction to the POP, I would not consider the Implanon to be the wisest choice. Yours is a rare case where I would suggest sticking to non-hormonal birth control such as a condom + diaphragm, possibly combined with the sympto-thermal method.

Yeah, this is what I've been suspecting but didn't want to admit to myself. :( At the moment I'm not sexually active, so I'm not too concerned for the time being. I might talk to my gyno about the Mirena if the need arises again; that's comforting that the progestin level is lower, and I have read that it being more localized leads to fewer side effects. I'll ask about a diaphragm too, although I'll probably be laughed out of the office! Oh, well. It's worth it to not die of either a stroke or throwing myself under a train.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Finally got all my insurance bullshit worked out and got a call back from the Drs office, I officially have an appointment to get Implanon a week from day. I'm so excited, thanks to you guys.
Is there anything I should know about the insertion or anything I should make sure to ask the Dr? I spoke to her for a bit during my consultation, I think I got it all covered, but you never know.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Juniper posted:

Hey, me too, post-Mirena. I never actually threw up or passed out but I was close to it, so I'm glad I didn't have to clear out of the exam/insertion room until I was ready to stand up. Then they gave me juice, which helped. :v:

Of course, when I sprained my knee recently, I had to lie very still on the floor until the nausea/dizziness passed, so from this I have learned that

a) pain = nausea

b) I'm kind of a wimp.

I'm the same. Certain types of pain or anything over a certain (fortunately high) threshold triggers a vasovagal reaction and I get nauseous and dizzy and usually wind up fainting. If I don't faint I wind up sobbing uncontrollably and shaking.

It's funny though, puncture type injuries (including needles) are usually what makes me have the worst reactions, but Implanon didn't bother me at all even though the insertion was painful. I guess maybe it was the novocaine shot (which was actually the painful part, that hurt like hell)? All I know is that I expected to be sick and faint but aside from a sore arm I was fine.

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006
Have decided to go off Levlen when I finish my current perscription - I'm 25 and my skin has broken out like never before since I started back on Levlen 6 months ago. Constant massive zits! Gross.

A few forums suggest Yasmin if Levlen turns you into a spotty teenager, which is subsidised here - so I might try that. Anyone else in the same boat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

ilysespieces posted:

Finally got all my insurance bullshit worked out and got a call back from the Drs office, I officially have an appointment to get Implanon a week from day. I'm so excited, thanks to you guys.
Is there anything I should know about the insertion or anything I should make sure to ask the Dr? I spoke to her for a bit during my consultation, I think I got it all covered, but you never know.

Getting my first Implanon inserted was easy. The doc numbed my arm up so I didn't feel a thing. Expect soreness/pain when that wears off, plus major bruising at the implant site. I ended up calling into work the day after getting it because I was experiencing mild flu-like symptoms (malaise, general feeling of grossness) but by day three I was just fine.

Congrats on your good decision! :)

• Locked thread